How to bring people back to HW2

I think by now we all acknowledge that the concurrent online population at any time during the day is extremely low for a game that was released only 3 months ago. I was thinking today after reading a few other threads on what 343 can do to bring people back and maybe attract some new players. Comment on my ideas below or leave your own and lets make HW2 awesome again!

• Enable cross platform playPeople will say this will give PC gamers and unfair advantage but not if they are forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard, They can continue to use the keyboard for PC vs PC games. Maybe a different playlist that is just for cross-platform play that is only enabled if the player is using a controller.

• Campaign demo at E3The demo needs to knock the socks off of everyone

• Enable a Blitz gametype where everyone has the same level cardsThis will solve alot of the moans and groans I run into and will bring a true level of competition to Blitz

• Surprise everyone with a 3rd factionThis would be well received since we’ve been playing the same 2 factions for 8 years now

• Fix the bugs (dodging, out of sync, 1700 rank, etc…)Obvious I believe

• New mapsI think a few new maps along with bringing back 1 or 2 Halo Wars 1 map would be great

• Game replayIf other Halo games can replay the game from any viewing angel, why can’t this one?

Ideas from other players

> Hunteress22
>
> - Map editor

> Cannibal Keef
>
> - More loot, more blitz packsThrow me a blitz pack more often, it’s so obvious people like to “collect loot”, so give it to us! At this point, why not?

> D2W GoLiAtH
>
> - In Game Leader BoardsWho cares about grinding to champion 1 when nobody see’s it. And I shouldn’t have to access a 3rd party website to see some form of a board.

I’d be game for all of these changes, though I think people overestimate how much of an impact cross play would have on the playerbase. I don’t think we’d get many people returning to the game, and even fewer new players.

> 2533274927740213;2:
> I’d be game for all of these changes, though I think people overestimate how much of an impact cross play would have on the playerbase. I don’t think we’d get many people returning to the game, and even fewer new players.

You’re right. The game should have launched with this ability.

> 2641173531476146;1:
> I think by now we all acknowledge that the concurrent online population at any time during the day is extremely low for a game that was released only 3 months ago. I was thinking today after reading a few other threads on what 343 can do to bring people back and maybe attract some new players. Comment on my ideas below or leave your own and lets make HW2 awesome again!
> - Enable cross platform playPeople will say this will give PC gamers and unfair advantage but not if they are forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard, They can continue to use the keyboard for PC vs PC games. Maybe a different playlist that is just for cross-platform play that is only enabled if the player is using a controller.
> - Campaign demo at E3The demo needs to knock the socks off of everyone
> - Enable a Blitz gametype where everyone has the same level cardsThis will solve alot of the moans and groans I run into and will bring a true level of competition to Blitz
> - Surprise everyone with a 3rd factionThis would be well received since we’ve been playing the same 2 factions for 8 years now
> - Fix the bugs (dodging, out of sync, 1700 rank, etc…)Obvious I believe
> - Finally - New mapsI think a few new maps along with bringing back 1 or 2 Halo Wars 1 map would be great

Good idea. Especially cross play,new maps and the E3 Demo. I think the rest of these should be long term goals to set and achieve by the spring of 2018 at most.
But remaking HW 1 maps would be a huge thing especially since they already made a definitive edition for the game.
Cross play is something i strongly push especially as it seems to be becoming a standard for xbox games that are play anywhere such as KI and GoW4.
And the E3 demo i think would bring in people but until we can get a little more info on the additional campaign options we’re getting and release i think its gonna lead to more angry people.
To add on to that list though.
Adding a map editor and removing clutter things on menus. (Such as how in multiplayer menu blitz appears now even though it has its own tab) would help as well.

> 2533274927740213;2:
> I’d be game for all of these changes, though I think people overestimate how much of an impact cross play would have on the playerbase. I don’t think we’d get many people returning to the game, and even fewer new players.

I agree but it would help out especially in bringing back PC players that left due to pop issues

> 2533274963572173;4:
> > 2641173531476146;1:
> > I think by now we all acknowledge that the concurrent online population at any time during the day is extremely low for a game that was released only 3 months ago. I was thinking today after reading a few other threads on what 343 can do to bring people back and maybe attract some new players. Comment on my ideas below or leave your own and lets make HW2 awesome again!
> > - Enable cross platform playPeople will say this will give PC gamers and unfair advantage but not if they are forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard, They can continue to use the keyboard for PC vs PC games. Maybe a different playlist that is just for cross-platform play that is only enabled if the player is using a controller.
> > - Campaign demo at E3The demo needs to knock the socks off of everyone
> > - Enable a Blitz gametype where everyone has the same level cardsThis will solve alot of the moans and groans I run into and will bring a true level of competition to Blitz
> > - Surprise everyone with a 3rd factionThis would be well received since we’ve been playing the same 2 factions for 8 years now
> > - Fix the bugs (dodging, out of sync, 1700 rank, etc…)Obvious I believe
> > - Finally - New mapsI think a few new maps along with bringing back 1 or 2 Halo Wars 1 map would be great
>
> Good idea. Especially cross play,new maps and the E3 Demo. I think the rest of these should be long term goals to set and achieve by the spring of 2018 at most.
> But remaking HW 1 maps would be a huge thing especially since they already made a definitive edition for the game.
> Cross play is something i strongly push especially as it seems to be becoming a standard for xbox games that are play anywhere such as KI and GoW4.
> And the E3 demo i think would bring in people but until we can get a little more info on the additional campaign options we’re getting and release i think its gonna lead to more angry people.
> To add on to that list though.
> Adding a map editor and removing clutter things on menus. (Such as how in multiplayer menu blitz appears now even though it has its own tab) would help as well.

It seems standard that with each Halo game there is always something “brought back” from a previous game. Why should it be any different with this one? In fact there isn’t a single Halo game that I can think of that didn’t bring back some sort of multiplayer map from a previous game.
I like your idea of a map editor. That would be cool if they could make that happen.
I’m adding to my list as I think of new ideas too.

• Game replayIf an FPS game can have a replay that allows you to view the game from any angel, why can’t this?

Yes to replays 1000%

> 2641173531476146;6:
> > 2533274963572173;4:
> > > 2641173531476146;1:
> > > I think by now we all acknowledge that the concurrent online population at any time during the day is extremely low for a game that was released only 3 months ago. I was thinking today after reading a few other threads on what 343 can do to bring people back and maybe attract some new players. Comment on my ideas below or leave your own and lets make HW2 awesome again!
> > > - Enable cross platform playPeople will say this will give PC gamers and unfair advantage but not if they are forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard, They can continue to use the keyboard for PC vs PC games. Maybe a different playlist that is just for cross-platform play that is only enabled if the player is using a controller.
> > > - Campaign demo at E3The demo needs to knock the socks off of everyone
> > > - Enable a Blitz gametype where everyone has the same level cardsThis will solve alot of the moans and groans I run into and will bring a true level of competition to Blitz
> > > - Surprise everyone with a 3rd factionThis would be well received since we’ve been playing the same 2 factions for 8 years now
> > > - Fix the bugs (dodging, out of sync, 1700 rank, etc…)Obvious I believe
> > > - Finally - New mapsI think a few new maps along with bringing back 1 or 2 Halo Wars 1 map would be great
> >
> > Good idea. Especially cross play,new maps and the E3 Demo. I think the rest of these should be long term goals to set and achieve by the spring of 2018 at most.
> > But remaking HW 1 maps would be a huge thing especially since they already made a definitive edition for the game.
> > Cross play is something i strongly push especially as it seems to be becoming a standard for xbox games that are play anywhere such as KI and GoW4.
> > And the E3 demo i think would bring in people but until we can get a little more info on the additional campaign options we’re getting and release i think its gonna lead to more angry people.
> > To add on to that list though.
> > Adding a map editor and removing clutter things on menus. (Such as how in multiplayer menu blitz appears now even though it has its own tab) would help as well.
>
> It seems standard that with each Halo game there is always something “brought back” from a previous game. Why should it be any different with this one? In fact there isn’t a single Halo game that I can think of that didn’t bring back some sort of multiplayer map from a previous game.
> I like your idea of a map editor. That would be cool if they could make that happen.
> I’m adding to my list as I think of new ideas too.
> - Game replayIf an FPS game can have a replay that allows you to view the game from any angel, why can’t this?

Definitely agree with the replays especially since in a RTS game that is a huge thing in finding out strategies. I do get your point with bring things back from old games especially things from halo reach.

I think the damage has already been done. I’ve had a couple of friends play during the first month, but some don’t “feel” like coming back, even after I raved about how awesome Colony was and the return of Johnson’s character. Nothing really got them to think about playing again. Maybe some other players have had similar stories, but i think the game never had an addicting incentive to play.

Another reason is the strategy genre doesn’t have a strong presence on the Xbox as other gaming genres. It also does not help that many gamers in this age just don’t have the patience for strategy games.

Edit: forgot to mention, I would be surprised and very relieved if any of your mentioned points would be implemented. Replays alone would totally draw in more players.

Throw me a blitz pack for signing in every day, like H5. Throw me a blitz pack more often, it’s so obvious people like to “collect loot”, so give it to us. Inflate the economy, its only a game, make it rain. Give us a chance to catch up to the spenders once in awhile and they will spend MORE… Win/win we all get MORE out of the game. At this point, why not? Good post OP!

> 2641173531476146;1:
> forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard

This is not needed since the XB1 version also support full KBM control.

> 2533274807340992;11:
> > 2641173531476146;1:
> > forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard
>
> This is not needed since the XB1 version also support full KBM control.

I did not know this! Is it as easy as plugging each in a usb port? Is there a specific brand? Also op, do you feel that more “loot” could draw attention?

> 2533274828090992;12:
> > 2533274807340992;11:
> > > 2641173531476146;1:
> > > forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard
> >
> > This is not needed since the XB1 version also support full KBM control.
>
> I did not know this! Is it as easy as plugging each in a usb port? Is there a specific brand?

It IS as easy as plugging each in a USB port. Although like any console peripheral it has to be a certified or compatible model, not just any thing you grab from eBay.(Things might be different since Windows 10 on XB1 landed)

GIVE THE GAME A PROPER LEADERBOARD. IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. HOW DO YOU LAUNCH AN RTS WITHOUT A PROPER GLOBAL LEADERBOARD. 100% main reason I and I’m sure many other’s have quit. Who cares about grinding to champion 1 when nobody see’s it. And I shouldn’t have to access a 3rd party website to see some form of a board.

> 2533274800681207;14:
> GIVE THE GAME A PROPER LEADERBOARD. IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. HOW DO YOU LAUNCH AN RTS WITHOUT A PROPER GLOBAL LEADERBOARD. 100% main reason I and I’m sure many other’s have quit. Who cares about grinding to champion 1 when nobody see’s it. And I shouldn’t have to access a 3rd party website to see some form of a board.

> 2533274800681207;14:
> GIVE THE GAME A PROPER LEADERBOARD. IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. HOW DO YOU LAUNCH AN RTS WITHOUT A PROPER GLOBAL LEADERBOARD. 100% main reason I and I’m sure many other’s have quit. Who cares about grinding to champion 1 when nobody see’s it. And I shouldn’t have to access a 3rd party website to see some form of a board.

I did not mean to quote you twice, apologies.
Now, why scream this at people having a lil chat and how would this make a difference? I do not think anyone cares about seeing themselves on a leaderboard as much as you obviously do… No offence. No caps.

> 2533274800681207;14:

But you can see the leaderboards here on Waypoint?

Some good ideas. I’ve added them to the OP.

> 2533274807340992;11:
> > 2641173531476146;1:
> > forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard
>
> This is not needed since the XB1 version also support full KBM control.

About the keyboard getting plugged in, does Xbox support all the shortcuts that the PC version does with a keyboard? Can you have a mouse too? Clearly using a controller and keyboard combined won’t work well. Too much swapping.

> 2641173531476146;1:
> I think by now we all acknowledge that the concurrent online population at any time during the day is extremely low for a game that was released only 3 months ago. I was thinking today after reading a few other threads on what 343 can do to bring people back and maybe attract some new players. Comment on my ideas below or leave your own and lets make HW2 awesome again!
> - Enable cross platform playPeople will say this will give PC gamers and unfair advantage but not if they are forced to hook up a controller and not play with the Keyboard, They can continue to use the keyboard for PC vs PC games. Maybe a different playlist that is just for cross-platform play that is only enabled if the player is using a controller.
> - Campaign demo at E3The demo needs to knock the socks off of everyone
> - Enable a Blitz gametype where everyone has the same level cardsThis will solve alot of the moans and groans I run into and will bring a true level of competition to Blitz
> - Surprise everyone with a 3rd factionThis would be well received since we’ve been playing the same 2 factions for 8 years now
> - Fix the bugs (dodging, out of sync, 1700 rank, etc…)Obvious I believe
> - New mapsI think a few new maps along with bringing back 1 or 2 Halo Wars 1 map would be great
> - Game replayIf other Halo games can replay the game from any viewing angel, why can’t this one?
>
> Ideas from other players
>
>
> > Hunteress22 - Map editor
>
>
>
> > Cannibal Keef - More loot, more blitz packsThrow me a blitz pack more often, it’s so obvious people like to “collect loot”, so give it to us! At this point, why not?
>
>
>
> > D2W GoLiAtH - In Game Leader BoardsWho cares about grinding to champion 1 when nobody see’s it. And I shouldn’t have to access a 3rd party website to see some form of a board.

Balance all the leaders,create new maps,reset both type of ranks,have campaign dlc that is actually more then the rumored 2 campaign missions

> 2533274828090992;16:
> > 2533274800681207;14:
> > GIVE THE GAME A PROPER LEADERBOARD. IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. HOW DO YOU LAUNCH AN RTS WITHOUT A PROPER GLOBAL LEADERBOARD. 100% main reason I and I’m sure many other’s have quit. Who cares about grinding to champion 1 when nobody see’s it. And I shouldn’t have to access a 3rd party website to see some form of a board.
>
> I did not mean to quote you twice, apologies.
> Now, why scream this at people having a lil chat and how would this make a difference? I do not think anyone cares about seeing themselves on a leaderboard as much as you obviously do… No offence. No caps.

So you can’t scroll on you phone and look at the leaderboard in two seconds?