How To Balance The Boltshot

So there’s a lot of raging about how the Boltshot is overpowered. I myself love the concept of the weapon but rarely bring myself to use it online because I don’t enjoy using weapons that are considered OP. Here are my two ideas on how to fix it, feel free to add yours.

-No timing ability. Currently you can charge the Boltshot and fire after about 2 seconds. Or you can wait till 4 seconds I believe, when it automatically fires. Of course, this means you can fire anywhere within those 2-4 seconds after charging, making aiming and timing much easier. Now imagine the Spartan Laser. It’s hard to get kills with it because after charging, it fires at one set time. There’s no room for changing it. I think the Boltshot would be much better if it were like this, but with a lesser charging time than the laser. This would make it harder to aim and time properly and result in many more missed shots.

-Less damage. Perhaps just make it a Mauler when charged up. Let it down someone’s shields, but not kill them. Then you could finish with a beatdown. It’s still pretty powerful, but it’s less powerful than it is now.

Or both.

I wouldn’t have a problem with the bolt shot if it wasn’t a spawn weapon. Yes it is overpowered, and yes it can be very annoying at times. I think in its current form it’s one of the most useful weapons in the game, so much so I consider it almost a shotgun in principle.

I just don’t see why players should spawn with what is effectively a power weapon.

I see your point about the Spartan Laser, it was tricky to use, but so very satisfying when you did kill with it. But its weaknesses were obvious. It gave your position away, it warned players with a laser pointer and that high pitch whining sound. The bolt shot has none of that, there isn’t much of a giveaway sign when using the weapon, and most of the time when you realise that someone has it, it’s all too late to do anything because you’ve got too close to them.

Personally, I think it’s one of the worse design decisions in Halo 4.

> I wouldn’t have a problem with the bolt shot if it wasn’t a spawn weapon. Yes it is overpowered, and yes it can be very annoying at times. I think in its current form it’s one of the most useful weapons in the game, so much so I consider it almost a shotgun in principle.
>
> I just don’t see why players should spawn with what is effectively a power weapon.
>
> I see your point about the Spartan Laser, it was tricky to use, but so very satisfying when you did kill with it. But its weaknesses were obvious. It gave your position away, it warned players with a laser pointer and that high pitch whining sound. The bolt shot has none of that, there isn’t much of a giveaway sign when using the weapon, and most of the time when you realise that someone has it, it’s all too late to do anything because you’ve got too close to them.
>
> Personally, I think it’s one of the worse design decisions in Halo 4.

True. Perhaps they could have a very visible charge up such as that of the Plasma pistol? You know if someone is charging one up because of the giant orb and the sound that carries over long distances.

Give it a longer charge time, and charging and shooting it depletes the entire clip. Remove the reload glitch. There now it is balanced.

It just needs less range.

> -No timing ability. Currently you can charge the Boltshot and fire after about 2 seconds. Or you can wait till 4 seconds I believe, when it automatically fires. Of course, this means you can fire anywhere within those 2-4 seconds after charging, making aiming and timing much easier. Now imagine the Spartan Laser. It’s hard to get kills with it because after charging, it fires at one set time. There’s no room for changing it. I think the Boltshot would be much better if it were like this, but with a lesser charging time than the laser. This would make it harder to aim and time properly and result in many more missed shots.

Thank you. This is what I’ve been advocating. Essentially make the charge shot release like the spartan laser, except the boltshot won’t have a little charge meter that indicates when it’s about to release. This way you don’t have to worry about the guns damage or range being nerfed to uselessness. Instead, it will just take more skill to use effectively.

I hope 343i listens to you, you have some good ideas.

The boltshot is definitely over-powered, I had my full shield, I never got any bullet from anywhere, a guy came at me with the boltshot and he one-shot me from like 3 meters away, that’s way too much. That guy played his entire game with it. To avoid him I started a new matchmaking… I wasn’t seeing him anymore so I hoped it’d be fine… On Solace there was again this type of “pain in the butt player” using the boltshot all the time. He got 15 kills and 11 were with the boltshot. He made every other power weapons useless. The sword? He shot my team mate a split second before the sword could get him. The shotgun? Again he managed to shoot before he got killed by another of my mate. The scattershot? I tried getting him but yet again he won. Three different players, three different who couldn’t use their power weapons because of the freakin boltshot. If it was only me I’d say “I sucked” (I must admit I’m pretty average), period, but three guys in the same game? We all sucked? Although we were winning the game easily?

Are you trying to say that, considering it automatically fires after 4 seconds, you cannot fire it at 2 or 3 seconds?

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

the problem with making it like a mauler is then it is essentially an emp-less plasma pistol.

I think the no timing ability sounds great, as well as reducing the the kill range.

> Are you trying to say that, considering it automatically fires after 4 seconds, you cannot fire it at 2 or 3 seconds?
>
> I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

That’s what I understood, forcing players to use it only with “it fires automatically mode” to prevent “abuse”.

How to fix the Boltshot

Fix the Reload Glitch

DONE

i get the feeling anyone complaining about or proposing a change to the boltshot, are either constant victims of or inexperienced with the boltshot. In which case their opinions of it are
Stunted.

The biggest issue with the boltshot is the reload glitch.

If they remove that, I think it’ll be all right considering it doesn’t seem to be hitscan anyway. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve fired at someone and either saw the marking from the shot appear directly behind them on the wall (without injuring them) or literally move directly through them. Yeah, it’s slight lag, but it seems to affect the boltshot more than most other weapons (also due to the fact that it has the cooldown time, which at best after a missed shot will the enemy time to get a few shots/bursts off).

The max OSK range should also be reduced to about 1-1.5m at best. It’s very rare for me to get a OSK on a fully shielded Spartan from about 10 feet away, but it does happen occasionally, and it’s definitely -Yoink- when that happens.

> i get the feeling anyone complaining about or proposing a change to the boltshot, are either constant victims of or inexperienced with the boltshot. In which case their opinions of it are
> Stunted.

I must admit I’m getting tired of people defending the boltshot with your arguments:

  1. You get killed by it because you suck/are a noob/are an idiot. I don’t recognize myself in those descriptions but I still think the boltshot can be annoying. Not because you get killed by it, it’ll happen like it can happen with any weapon, the problem is that some players do entire games with it I wonder why they do that…

  2. You hate the boltshot because you suck with it. I don’t, I managed to use it right from the start and anyone can do it, it’s extremely easy, I don’t see why people say it requires skills.

On a side note: you used the right word “opinion”, opinions are not facts so don’t “stunt” them because your own opinion is more valid from your point of view.

I accidentally made the same post twice and can’t find how to delete.

> How to fix the Boltshot
>
> Fix the Reload Glitch
>
> DONE
>
>
> i get the feeling anyone complaining about or proposing a change to the boltshot, are either constant victims of or inexperienced with the boltshot. In which case their opinions of it are
> Stunted.

THIS THIS this THIS this this This this!!!

I can fix the problems players have with the Boltshot without having to significantly change gameplay.

The way to do this is actually pretty simple and it is remarkably fair. It wont change the damage of the weapon at all, instead focusing on making dodging the weapon less random chance and more of a skill players pick up. This would punish corner camping Boltshot usage and reward faster, more clever usage.

First three changes are an attitude adjustment. Time to make the weapon more predictable by shutting down some of its weird quirks.

>Require 5 shots in its Power Cell to start a charge. 4 or less no longer allow for a charge shot. You must spend 5 rounds every time.

>Cloak fades when you START a Charge shot and not after you fire it.

>Fixed Reload bug to prevent abuse.

The last two are to fix its corner camping ways.

>Boltshot Charge now glows a red tone equal in visibility to the Plasma Pistol.

You ever been owned by a Plasma Pistol Overcharge+Melee combo in Halo 4? Not often? Not at all? Probably because you can see that glow very easily around corners if you pay attention. Now only the guys who don’t pay ANY attention get clothes lined. They have a visual queue someone is charging it around that corner.

>Boltshot Charge now has an audio queue roughly as loud as the Plasma Pistol

An Audio queue to accompany the visual one. Now both of the games overcharge weapons give a visual and audible warning when someone is hiding in a corner with one. You have MORE then enough warning so long as you remain sharp. Dodging death at the hands of a sucker punch is as easy as paying attention - which I know most of you do just fine.

dont balance it, just remove it from loadouts and put 2 or 3 on every map
PROFIT!

> I can fix the problems players have with the Boltshot without having to significantly change gameplay.
>
> The way to do this is actually pretty simple and it is remarkably fair. It wont change the damage of the weapon at all, instead focusing on making dodging the weapon less random chance and more of a skill players pick up. This would punish corner camping Boltshot usage and reward faster, more clever usage.
>
>
> First three changes are an attitude adjustment. Time to make the weapon more predictable by shutting down some of its weird quirks.
>
> >Require 5 shots in its Power Cell to start a charge. 4 or less no longer allow for a charge shot. You must spend 5 rounds every time.
>
> >Cloak fades when you START a Charge shot and not after you fire it.
>
> >Fixed Reload bug to prevent abuse.
>
>
> The last two are to fix its corner camping ways.
>
>
> >Boltshot Charge now glows a red tone equal in visibility to the Plasma Pistol.
>
> You ever been owned by a Plasma Pistol Overcharge+Melee combo in Halo 4? Not often? Not at all? Probably because you can see that glow very easily around corners if you pay attention. Now only the guys who don’t pay ANY attention get clothes lined. They have a visual queue someone is charging it around that corner.
>
> >Boltshot Charge now has an audio queue roughly as loud as the Plasma Pistol
>
> An Audio queue to accompany the visual one. Now both of the games overcharge weapons give a visual and audible warning when someone is hiding in a corner with one. You have MORE then enough warning so long as you remain sharp. Dodging death at the hands of a sucker punch is as easy as paying attention - which I know most of you do just fine.

well i think that giving it the charging sound(like the PP) could help, what i will suggest is to reduce the range of the charged shot, and make the primary fire a buff, so it is 1 shot less to kill than the magnum, but with the lack of scope.

> > I can fix the problems players have with the Boltshot without having to significantly change gameplay.
> >
> > The way to do this is actually pretty simple and it is remarkably fair. It wont change the damage of the weapon at all, instead focusing on making dodging the weapon less random chance and more of a skill players pick up. This would punish corner camping Boltshot usage and reward faster, more clever usage.
> >
> >
> > First three changes are an attitude adjustment. Time to make the weapon more predictable by shutting down some of its weird quirks.
> >
> > >Require 5 shots in its Power Cell to start a charge. 4 or less no longer allow for a charge shot. You must spend 5 rounds every time.
> >
> > >Cloak fades when you START a Charge shot and not after you fire it.
> >
> > >Fixed Reload bug to prevent abuse.
> >
> >
> > The last two are to fix its corner camping ways.
> >
> >
> > >Boltshot Charge now glows a red tone equal in visibility to the Plasma Pistol.
> >
> > You ever been owned by a Plasma Pistol Overcharge+Melee combo in Halo 4? Not often? Not at all? Probably because you can see that glow very easily around corners if you pay attention. Now only the guys who don’t pay ANY attention get clothes lined. They have a visual queue someone is charging it around that corner.
> >
> > >Boltshot Charge now has an audio queue roughly as loud as the Plasma Pistol
> >
> > An Audio queue to accompany the visual one. Now both of the games overcharge weapons give a visual and audible warning when someone is hiding in a corner with one. You have MORE then enough warning so long as you remain sharp. Dodging death at the hands of a sucker punch is as easy as paying attention - which I know most of you do just fine.
>
> well i think that giving it the charging sound(like the PP) could help, what i will suggest is to reduce the range of the charged shot, and make the primary fire a buff, so it is 1 shot less to kill than the magnum, but with the lack of scope.

Its range is barely the same as the Shotgun. The Scattershot has far greater range.

The range was never the problem.

> I can fix the problems players have with the Boltshot without having to significantly change gameplay.
>
> The way to do this is actually pretty simple and it is remarkably fair. It wont change the damage of the weapon at all, instead focusing on making dodging the weapon less random chance and more of a skill players pick up. This would punish corner camping Boltshot usage and reward faster, more clever usage.
>
>
> First three changes are an attitude adjustment. Time to make the weapon more predictable by shutting down some of its weird quirks.
>
> >Require 5 shots in its Power Cell to start a charge. 4 or less no longer allow for a charge shot. You must spend 5 rounds every time.
>
> >Cloak fades when you START a Charge shot and not after you fire it.
>
> >Fixed Reload bug to prevent abuse.
>
>
> The last two are to fix its corner camping ways.
>
>
> >Boltshot Charge now glows a red tone equal in visibility to the Plasma Pistol.
>
> You ever been owned by a Plasma Pistol Overcharge+Melee combo in Halo 4? Not often? Not at all? Probably because you can see that glow very easily around corners if you pay attention. Now only the guys who don’t pay ANY attention get clothes lined. They have a visual queue someone is charging it around that corner.
>
> >Boltshot Charge now has an audio queue roughly as loud as the Plasma Pistol
>
> An Audio queue to accompany the visual one. Now both of the games overcharge weapons give a visual and audible warning when someone is hiding in a corner with one. You have MORE then enough warning so long as you remain sharp. Dodging death at the hands of a sucker punch is as easy as paying attention - which I know most of you do just fine.

Sounds great. Personally I wouldn’t mind that it’s just removed from the load-outs but if it really must be kept your ideas sound fine.

343i should read this thread and think about what should be done. They pretty much have everything they need with people like you (or the user’s OP) who give interesting ideas and arguments.