How to aim properly--what to focus on

Just curious to get some opinions and general consensus here:

When aiming (regardless of weapon used), do you focus on your reticle or your target? In other words, do you focus-in on the reticle while aiming (making everything else blurry/in the background) or do you focus on your target, making your reticle blurry/in the background? What do Halo pros suggest/do?

I’m asking, because I find it very difficult to keep my shots consistent and I’m not sure where I should be focusing my attention (on my reticle or my target).

i’d probably say you wanna focus on the target not the reticle. You want to be able to see the players and predict where they’re going based on their movements. eventually the placement of the reticle on your screen will become memorized.

THE FACE!

Neither.

Pro Tip: No matter what you’re looking at…your shots will only go to what’s in the middle of your screen…

Put a piece of tape on the middle of your screen (where the reticle sits). Now play. Fun fact: anything hidden behind the tape marker is lined up with your shot and is a clean target. Welcome to next level playing… Looking at tape, lol.

> 2533274814988883;4:
> Neither.
>
> Pro Tip: No matter what you’re looking at…your shots will only go to what’s in the middle of your screen…

That’s a good one!!!

> 2533274796804494;1:
> Just curious to get some opinions and general consensus here:
>
> When aiming (regardless of weapon used), do you focus on your reticle or your target? In other words, do you focus-in on the reticle while aiming (making everything else blurry/in the background) or do you focus on your target, making your reticle blurry/in the background? What do Halo pros suggest/do?
>
> I’m asking, because I find it very difficult to keep my shots consistent and I’m not sure where I should be focusing my attention (on my reticle or my target).

What are you talking about, with regard to everything going blurry?

> 2533274792641480;7:
> > 2533274796804494;1:
> > Just curious to get some opinions and general consensus here:
> >
> > When aiming (regardless of weapon used), do you focus on your reticle or your target? In other words, do you focus-in on the reticle while aiming (making everything else blurry/in the background) or do you focus on your target, making your reticle blurry/in the background? What do Halo pros suggest/do?
> >
> > I’m asking, because I find it very difficult to keep my shots consistent and I’m not sure where I should be focusing my attention (on my reticle or my target).
>
>
> What are you talking about, with regard to everything going blurry?

The human eye is only capable of focusing on one point at a time–everything else is peripheral vision (i.e., “blurry”). I’m asking what people focus on when they are shooting at someone: the reticle or the target. You can’t, physically speaking, focus on both–you must choose one over the other.

> 2533274796804494;8:
> > 2533274792641480;7:
> > > 2533274796804494;1:
> > > Just curious to get some opinions and general consensus here:
> > >
> > > When aiming (regardless of weapon used), do you focus on your reticle or your target? In other words, do you focus-in on the reticle while aiming (making everything else blurry/in the background) or do you focus on your target, making your reticle blurry/in the background? What do Halo pros suggest/do?
> > >
> > > I’m asking, because I find it very difficult to keep my shots consistent and I’m not sure where I should be focusing my attention (on my reticle or my target).
> >
> >
> > What are you talking about, with regard to everything going blurry?
>
>
> The human eye is only capable of focusing on one point at a time–everything else is peripheral vision (i.e., “blurry”). I’m asking what people focus on when they are shooting at someone: the reticle or the target. You can’t, physically speaking, focus on both–you must choose one over the other.

Well things tend to blur when you change the distance of your focus, I.e focus on your finger, or look at a tree in the background and your eyes refocus. But obviously that doesn’t happen in game as it’s 3d projected onto a 2d surface.

What you’re asking is what do we look at when shooting, and for me that would be the person I want to shoot. I try to track their movements, anticipate and react accordingly.

> 2533274796804494;8:
> > 2533274792641480;7:
> > > 2533274796804494;1:
> > > Just curious to get some opinions and general consensus here:
> > >
> > > When aiming (regardless of weapon used), do you focus on your reticle or your target? In other words, do you focus-in on the reticle while aiming (making everything else blurry/in the background) or do you focus on your target, making your reticle blurry/in the background? What do Halo pros suggest/do?
> > >
> > > I’m asking, because I find it very difficult to keep my shots consistent and I’m not sure where I should be focusing my attention (on my reticle or my target).
> >
> >
> > What are you talking about, with regard to everything going blurry?
>
>
> The human eye is only capable of focusing on one point at a time–everything else is peripheral vision (i.e., “blurry”). I’m asking what people focus on when they are shooting at someone: the reticle or the target. You can’t, physically speaking, focus on both–you must choose one over the other.

Narrowed vision varies in each person. For some, the screen/monitor IS the focal point, while everything happening in the room around you is " blurry".
Now, when speaking in terms of of a more narrow view… We refer to this as “tunnel vision”…and though it can help you in some ways, it can hurt you in other ways. Try to avoid it if you notice yourself doing it.

With H5’s trash aiming system and high aim assist/bullet magnetism, the key to aiming in this game is to resist the urge to move your right stick much at all unless you absolutely have to. Otherwise, you will windmill as soon as you hit the completely arbitrary “turning” portion of the sensitivity curve.

The only time I focus on my reticule is if I’m going for no scopes that aren’t twitchy.

> 2533274890584596;11:
> With H5’s trash aiming system and high aim assist/bullet magnetism, the key to aiming in this game is to resist the urge to move your right stick much at all unless you absolutely have to. Otherwise, you will windmill as soon as you hit the completely arbitrary “turning” portion of the sensitivity curve.

What do you mean “bullet magnetism”?
Is there an assist in place for shots to land on target?

> 2535470862314502;13:
> > 2533274890584596;11:
> > With H5’s trash aiming system and high aim assist/bullet magnetism, the key to aiming in this game is to resist the urge to move your right stick much at all unless you absolutely have to. Otherwise, you will windmill as soon as you hit the completely arbitrary “turning” portion of the sensitivity curve.
>
>
> What do you mean “bullet magnetism”?
> Is there an assist in place for shots to land on target?

Bullet magnetism is an aim assist mechanic that corrects your bullet trajectories by curving them towards your target within a certain radius. It has been around since H1.The most obvious example of it in this game is the sniper. Take a look at some sniper clips. Check how many of them are clearly off target and watch for bullet firing at an angle outside of the actual reticle. That’s the magnetism correcting the shot.

Do the tape trick. It works

> 2533274890584596;14:
> > 2535470862314502;13:
> > > 2533274890584596;11:
> > > With H5’s trash aiming system and high aim assist/bullet magnetism, the key to aiming in this game is to resist the urge to move your right stick much at all unless you absolutely have to. Otherwise, you will windmill as soon as you hit the completely arbitrary “turning” portion of the sensitivity curve.
> >
> >
> > What do you mean “bullet magnetism”?
> > Is there an assist in place for shots to land on target?
>
>
> Bullet magnetism is an aim assist mechanic that corrects your bullet trajectories by curving them towards your target within a certain radius. It has been around since H1.The most obvious example of it in this game is the sniper. Take a look at some sniper clips. Check how many of them are clearly off target and watch for bullet firing at an angle outside of the actual reticle. That’s the magnetism correcting the shot.

Interesting…

Thank you!

Well if you have the Halo 2 BR you can aim anywhere you want…

> 2535470862314502;13:
> > 2533274890584596;11:
> > With H5’s trash aiming system and high aim assist/bullet magnetism, the key to aiming in this game is to resist the urge to move your right stick much at all unless you absolutely have to. Otherwise, you will windmill as soon as you hit the completely arbitrary “turning” portion of the sensitivity curve.
>
>
> What do you mean “bullet magnetism”?
> Is there an assist in place for shots to land on target?

There’s also aim assist, which is different than magnetism.

Have you ever started firing, or just aiming, at one opponent and then another opponent crosses between or gets near your target? Ever notice how your reticle then peels off the first target and moves into the new guy, so that when they pull apart your reticle is then aiming somewhere between them despite your attempts to correct it?

Or maybe a better example, when you have you’re zoomed in and focusing on a specific location, then an enemy runs through your crosshairs and your reticle then follows that player even though you haven’t touched your stick?

That’s aim “assist”, and it’s great for twitch shooters, but catastrophic for accurate shooters.

> 2533274814988883;5:
> Put a piece of tape on the middle of your screen (where the reticle sits). Now play. Fun fact: anything hidden behind the tape marker is lined up with your shot and is a clean target. Welcome to next level playing… Looking at tape, lol.

Duct tape fixes EVERYTHING!

> 2533274796804494;1:
> Just curious to get some opinions and general consensus here:
>
> When aiming (regardless of weapon used), do you focus on your reticle or your target? In other words, do you focus-in on the reticle while aiming (making everything else blurry/in the background) or do you focus on your target, making your reticle blurry/in the background? What do Halo pros suggest/do?
>
> I’m asking, because I find it very difficult to keep my shots consistent and I’m not sure where I should be focusing my attention (on my reticle or my target).

Not your fault the aiming in halo 5 is -Yoinked!-.