How often does flag drop actually save you?

So you’ve got the flag, running out from the enemy’s base, and you see something that causes you to drop the flag and start shooting…how often do you end up defeating all the enemies, surviving, and escaping with the flag?

I feel like most often if it’s 1 enemy, you’d first try to go around or reach cover and get some backup from the team. But if it’s 2-5 enemies teammates won’t come in time so you do need to defend yourself. But, also, if it’s 2-5 enemies…you’re not going to be able to kill them all very often, even if you have rockets and sniper. So you end up giving your power weapons away, just maybe with a bit less ammo. Doesn’t seem like such a giant difference, except maybe you get 2-3 extra kills before you die and give away your weapons. But if your main concern is kills, you’re in the wrong gametype.

I’m alright with no flag drop, but I’m pretty sure it’s more the auto pickup that rests uneasy in everyone’s minds.

Being able to drop my flag to use my stickies or a weapon I may have picked up specifically to go grab a flag has saved me many times in H3 and Reach. I have stuck hogs and continued on my marry way, shot rockets and managed to move the flag farther along.

Taking a choice away from us is a horrid idea especially when you may accidentally pick up the flag in the first place,

For me a number of things happen when I choose to drop the flag…

1. I use grenades to take out or weaken multiple enemies as my teammates approach. This is very useful. Too many players focus on staying alive, sometimes with the right timing and positioning you can attract and enemy team into their own demise or disadvantage.

2. I use the flag as bait and I’m nowhere near it. This will no longer be possible at all.

3. Use the flag icon as bait then pick it up unexpectedly for that one hit kill or two enemy kills.

4. Sometimes when flag touching to keep the flag “alive or active” it’s ideal to throw the flag for better positioning for your next teammate or run at getting the flag again.

I could keep going to be honest, I can see what 343i want to achieve with these changes and I’m willing to try them but I am sadden I have to lose a number of individual abilities to potentially attract more players to objective.

If i am ever in a position where two or more guys are on me and my shields are low, it’s not going to matter much if i drop the flag or no. In fact, that was a bad play on my part since you push as a team, not alone < Big mistake players do when rushing for enemy flags.

HOWEVER, I have been able to take out one lone person with my BR/DMR by dropping the flag or blow them up with nades/rockets and bring the flag closer for a potential cap. That answers that question. So yes, there was many reasons to drop the flag.

I will say that this new CTF has me interested. I can’t wait to try out and see if these new features are going to ruin Halo forever like most say (hint, i don’t really think that). It wouldn’t hurt to have classic options (with flag juggling and what not) included in Halo 4. I sure wouldn’t mind it with the new stuff.

If not; I’ll adapt like any decent player would.

> If i am ever in a position where two or more guys are on me and my shields are low, it’s not going to matter much if i drop the flag or no. In fact, that was a bad play on my part since you push as a team, not alone < Big mistake players do when rushing for enemy flags.
>
> HOWEVER, I have been able to take out one lone person with my BR/DMR by dropping the flag or blow them up with nades/rockets and bring the flag closer for a potential cap. That answers that question. So yes, there was many reasons to drop the flag.
>
>
> I will say that this new CTF has me interested. I can’t wait to try out and see if these new features are going to ruin Halo forever like most say (hint, i don’t really think that). It wouldn’t hurt to have classic options (with flag juggling and what not) included in Halo 4. I sure wouldn’t mind it with the new stuff.
>
>
> If not; I’ll adapt like any decent player would.

The trick is to know when to do a counter flag run, be able to stealth or have the decision making skills to know when/what path the enemy team are going to catch up to.

You then are able to drop the flag etc to handle such situations.

A better question is
HOW MUCH MORE WILL YOU DIE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T DROP THE FLAG AND YOU HAVE A STUPID WAYPOINT OVER YOU AT ALL TIMES ?

Not really Flag specifically, but I have saved my team countless times in Oddball by dropping the objective. Keyword: helping. Since everyone for not being able to drop the flag is so happy to spout the “teamwork” argument.

> Not really Flag specifically, but I have saved my team countless times in Oddball by dropping the objective. Keyword: helping. Since everyone for not being able to drop the flag is so happy to spout the “teamwork” argument.

But you never used the keyword in that sentence haha. :stuck_out_tongue:

> > Not really Flag specifically, but I have saved my team countless times in Oddball by dropping the objective. Keyword: helping. Since everyone for not being able to drop the flag is so happy to spout the “teamwork” argument.
>
> But you never used the keyword in that sentence haha. :stuck_out_tongue:

Whatever. I helped anyway. :slight_smile:

> A better question is
> HOW MUCH MORE WILL YOU DIE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T DROP THE FLAG AND YOU HAVE A STUPID WAYPOINT OVER YOU AT ALL TIMES ?

A lot less than I would if I were to work as a group instead of on my own.

There’s a time to grab the flag, and there’s a time to not do that. Unless your team is great at being a huge distraction and will kill when appropriate, running solo isn’t a good idea with these options. This has a different set of rules. Those who understand it and work with it, instead of against it, will have an easier time winning under them.

Capping flags is a group effort. These settings has a bigger emphasis on teamwork than previous iterations.

As to the OP’s question: If I got rockets and similar weapons, dropping the flag is a great help to use them. But it really depends on the map, and where they are attacking me. Often, I stay with a group, or if needed, have my team distract the enemy team so I go out another way.

> > A better question is
> > HOW MUCH MORE WILL YOU DIE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T DROP THE FLAG AND YOU HAVE A STUPID WAYPOINT OVER YOU AT ALL TIMES ?
>
> A lot less than I would if I were to work as a group instead of on my own.
>
> There’s a time to grab the flag, and there’s a time to not do that. Unless your team is great at being a huge distraction and will kill when appropriate, running solo isn’t a good idea with these options. This has a different set of rules. Those who understand it and work with it, instead of against it, will have an easier time winning under them.
>
> Capping flags is a group effort. These settings has a bigger emphasis on teamwork than previous iterations.
>
>
> As to the OP’s question: If I got rockets and similar weapons, dropping the flag is a great help to use them. But it really depends on the map, and where they are attacking me. Often, I stay with a group, or if needed, have my team distract the enemy team so I go out another way.

Yes. This. Completely this.

IF YOU HAVE A POWER WEAPON OR WISH TO SUPPORT THE FLAG, DO NOT PICK UP THE FLAG. Instead, commit yourself to the alternative: defend your teammates who are willing enough to work for Team Play.

It’s encouraging Teamwork. I’m a Lone Wolf player myself, but in Objective games, you should always work as a team no matter what.

Drop flag, rocket enemy, pick up flag. Or hide. Or run away. Or out DMR a spawner. 343 has removed all player options.

> > > A better question is
> > > HOW MUCH MORE WILL YOU DIE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T DROP THE FLAG AND YOU HAVE A STUPID WAYPOINT OVER YOU AT ALL TIMES ?
> >
> > A lot less than I would if I were to work as a group instead of on my own.
> >
> > There’s a time to grab the flag, and there’s a time to not do that. Unless your team is great at being a huge distraction and will kill when appropriate, running solo isn’t a good idea with these options. This has a different set of rules. Those who understand it and work with it, instead of against it, will have an easier time winning under them.
> >
> > Capping flags is a group effort. These settings has a bigger emphasis on teamwork than previous iterations.
> >
> >
> > As to the OP’s question: If I got rockets and similar weapons, dropping the flag is a great help to use them. But it really depends on the map, and where they are attacking me. Often, I stay with a group, or if needed, have my team distract the enemy team so I go out another way.
>
> Yes. This. Completely this.
>
> IF YOU HAVE A POWER WEAPON OR WISH TO SUPPORT THE FLAG, DO NOT PICK UP THE FLAG. Instead, commit yourself to the alternative: defend your teammates who are willing enough to work for Team Play.
>
> It’s encouraging Teamwork. I’m a Lone Wolf player myself, but in Objective games, you should always work as a team no matter what.

I have to seriously point out, that since it’s auto pick up and undroppable, if you even nudge the flag by accident, you’re screwed. Say you have Rockets and you’re covering the flag, he dies, and you try to kill the attackers with your power weapon, since you’re so focused, you walk into the flag. And then you die. And trust me, that pistol will NOT do you good for much long. Or say you have this whole “team-huddle-around-one-person-flag-protecting” strategy going on. Tank comes. Kills you all. You couldn’t throw the flag to a better position, maybe somewhere not out in the open.

It’s not a matter of how no being able to drop the flag will help the game anyway. It’s a matter of how much possibility and control is lost, and how much of a punishment it is for not being able to drop the flag.

Getting those extra kills can have a difference in a CTF game though. If you think about it, CTF is a numbers game. It’s easier to capture when you have an overlap in players to the enemy team as they are in respawn. So if you knew you were going down, you’d go for those kills to give your team a better chance at capping the flag (or evening up the numbers on the field).

Quite often actually

> Drop flag, rocket enemy, pick up flag. Or hide. Or run away. Or out DMR a spawner. 343 has removed all player options.

This. You could pick up the flag whilst also holding the most useful power weapon on the map, effectively locking that weapon out until you either score or die. Tactics suddenly go out of the window and this could actually make CTF less popular when players simply prefer playing Slayer or something less annoying.

I wonder what Assault is going to be like? You can’t drop the bomb once you’ve picked it up? Why would anyone ever pick up the bomb or flag if they become completely useless to defend themselves or adapt to the situation at hand.

What on earth are 343i even thinking??

it most cases by the time you dropped the flag you shields would be more than half way down and wouldn’t have enough time to kill the opponent

343 apologetics never cease to amaze me. I can read between the lines here. You don’t fully agree with the decision either but you feel the need to defend it. 343 has added a lot of cool stuff and they have also done a lot of questionable things, it’s important that the community be honest and vocal about gripes they have that pertain to Halo 4’s gameplay. Otherwise, these things won’t change. If you are even a tiny bit apprehensive about a change or at least prefer something else, be honest and open about it. It creates discussion and if that discussion actually goes somewhere and has a lot of support, they just might listen.

Attempting to rationalize a genuinely bad decision that you don’t even fully agree with, does nothing more than clutter up the forum.

Never as they always gang up on that person and dropping the flag worst thing you can do. Which is why I’m liking flagnum.