How mature are we talking here?

Just a quick question: 343 stated that they were taking a more mature approach to H4…just how mature are we talking here, and what exactly do they mean by it? My guess would be that by that they mean darker, more serious tone; less whimsical, but still basically an M-rated solely based on blood splatter from ungibbed corpses (unless the flood are back in it). Main reason I ask is I play all of the others with my kids, as they are, like I mentioned, barely out of the T range, and I would really hate to have to put my foot down on this one simply because they thought it would be better to throw in a couple of F-bomb audio tracks that the game frequently uses, or that brains (as well as confetti) start flying out of grunts.
I know this is not an issue to a lot of people (some, I’m guessing, would like to see it pretty much be GOW with Spartan armor), but personally I would like the M-content (not darker or serious tone mind you, just the guts & swearing mostly) to stay about the same as in the first 6 games.

It’s a probably darker story with more complicated dialogue. It doesn’t seem right to put in more language.

I really don’t mind any language, but brains and gore is not my kinda thing. I just won’t buy it if it has brains fly out when shot in the head.

> I really don’t mind any language, but brains and gore is not my kinda thing. I just won’t buy it if it has brains fly out when shot in the head.

That too. I already have Gears of War for that… so seeing that gore in Halo would just feel weird…

I’d be fine with an option for more serious language, but even then, there is no need to over kill the F-bombs. As for the blood and gore, I’d like it to make sense, maybe have it closer to what it is in the books while not actually being as bad as the books, and again, optional.

Yeah, I never understood why some people equate more swearing with a better game. It’s definitely not necessary.

I would like a bit more gore, but not at the “limbs flying off, heads liquified”, level. Just some more blood when you shoot somebody.

I believe the “darker and more serious” will involve the story. If you read the new novels (the Forerunner novels, not shudder Glasslands), it’s a HUGE step up from the rest; you’d hardly believe it’s a video game novel. Much deeper, more complicated and emotional.

From what I have personally inferred from what I have read and heard, is that 343’s take on “maturity” means over all tone.

Like you stated about the “less whimsical” state of the game. I think that it’s not going to be so much about F*Bombs, or dismembering sprites. Perhaps more to do with a darker story line.

I think it’s cool that you play games with your children. Most gamers that I know that have kids, just ignore them when they get into their game. The gamers, not the kids.

Atmosphere > gore

They may have made the Covies look horror-like, but it won’t make a difference if the execution isn’t done well.

Well i am kinda hoping for a ‘‘Grayson Hunt’’ approach to dialoque.

I agree, since there wasn’t as much cursing/gore in the other games there shouldn’t be
as much in this one. It just makes the game dumber IMO.

Games like Splinter-Cell and Farcry added extra cursing which i wasn’t that fond about.

> It’s a probably darker story with more complicated dialogue. It doesn’t seem right to put in more language.

Same thing I was thinking.

I’m a fan of cussing and nudity, but only if it absolutely fits into the story.
I consider video games to be really long interactive movies.
I like to invest a little of myself into the medium I am viewing. Be it traditional art, music, video, games or what have you.

Look at Duke Nukem: Forever. In my opinion, a horrible stale game.
The main antagonist was nothing more than a walking cliche’, that had no dialogue outside of one liners an absurdities. Sure that has it’s place, but was not entertaining to me.
The one dimensionality of him actually angered me. I know, it’s just a game, but someone thought it was a good idea.

Now to counter that. Like I was saying, I would expect for a Marine in Halo 4 to say what’s on their mind while in a life or death fire fight. A long string of cussing and manic ramblings would fit perfectly into it. In this case it provides depth, and believability. I would be very disappointed to hear something like this, “Take this, you booger eating doody head!”. Actually I would laugh at that, though it wouldn’t be believable.

Dead Space 2 gore!
Just kidding. That would be… quite a different approach to a Halo game.

But I doubt, as you said, they are making it more mature as in language and gore. Like the others have said, more of a tone advancement. More serious, or darker, like they have said.

well, if it is still halo, and it is, there will not be that much swearing. do you remember a lot to any swearing the others i do not think so. by mature, it will be darker that the others but there will not be many f-bombs or at all. darker= what MC will have to face. how that will effect him, etc

> From what I have personally inferred from what I have read and heard, is that 343’s take on “maturity” means over all tone.
>
> Like you stated about the “less whimsical” state of the game. I think that it’s not going to be so much about F*Bombs, or dismembering sprites. Perhaps more to do with a darker story line.
>
> I think it’s cool that you play games with your children. Most gamers that I know that have kids, just ignore them when they get into their game. The gamers, not the kids.

Halo’s one of the most fun things my family does together…not saying that we limit what all we do to simply games, but playing multiplayer with my wife and kids is always a laugh riot…and since they’re just as big of fans as I am, I tend to use that not only to connect with them but I tend to use it as a teaching tool, partially for computer skills (networking, menu navigation, etc) as well as life lessons about not giving up & trying your best and just basic game courtesies such as don’t rage quit or AFK…and being annoying on the mic isn’t an option as I have their settings turned off.

Plus they’re not too shabby either. My son almost 8 and has a BPR of 22, but sometimes he gives me a pretty good run for my money (sadly, he’s turned screen-watching into an art form), and my daughter, 10, has made her own forge map, which is actually not too bad considering her age and that I helped smooth and balance it out a bit (I’d personally take about 5% credit).

But yeah, that’s why I’m hoping the violence and language aren’t any worse than what it is in earlier games…like the rest of you have said it would seem out of place to me, and better left in other games like Gears.

> > It’s a probably darker story with more complicated dialogue. It doesn’t seem right to put in more language.
>
> Same thing I was thinking.
>
> I’m a fan of cussing and nudity, but only if it absolutely fits into the story.
> I consider video games to be really long interactive movies.
> I like to invest a little of myself into the medium I am viewing. Be it traditional art, music, video, games or what have you.
>
> Look at Duke Nukem: Forever. In my opinion, a horrible stale game.
> The main antagonist was nothing more than a walking cliche’, that had no dialogue outside of one liners an absurdities. Sure that has it’s place, but was not entertaining to me.
> The one dimensionality of him actually angered me. I know, it’s just a game, but someone thought it was a good idea.
>
> Now to counter that. Like I was saying, I would expect for a Marine in Halo 4 to say what’s on their mind while in a life or death fire fight. A long string of cussing and manic ramblings would fit perfectly into it. In this case it provides depth, and believability. I would be very disappointed to hear something like this, “Take this, you booger eating doody head!”. Actually I would laugh at that, though it wouldn’t be believable.

I was actually a pretty big defender of DNF when the inital -Yoink- storm hit attacking it (I thought it was a bit odd considering a week before release you didn’t hear a bad word against it), and in all honesty I rather enjoyed playing through the campaign, but only the first time through…after that the jokes did get stale and the crude humor just turned to crude and at times it seemed like to the developers FPS stood for Frustrating Puzzle Scenarios.

Probably in the good sense.

Strong atmosphere and mood setting. In example, a la MP2:Echoes.

There are lots of ways to achieve a sense of maturity in regards to the overall theme and feeling of a game. Swearing and a “dark and gritty” environment are probably the most, and excuse my expression, childish ways to achieve this.

For example, Gears of War 3 was much more mature than its predecessors. This was due to the characters interactions and reactions to the world, to each other, to the enemies, and to the various situations they encountered.

Hopefully, 343’s “more mature approach” to Halo will follow the latter path.

Chief has dropped a lot of bombs, but never the F bomb.

Having profanity in a game does not make it better, when used moderately, its works very well, but when it is overused, it just becomes really bad and lazy writing. Halo is a prime example of being a Great game, but having minimal profanity.

They probably been mature as in having a darker and more emotionally resonant story.

Violence-wise, I would like the deaths to be a little less cartoony, more of the grit of real war. But nothing like GoW (I do not want an assassination where you rip off someone’s arm and beat him to death with it, for example).

Language-wise, I think the emphasis is on more realistic language, not more swearing. I don’t think it’s realistic to have any war game without any swearing whatsoever, and when I heard a marine shout “son of a gun!” in previous Halo games it totally broke the feeling of immersion for me. Just because the language more accurately reflects what real people in that situation might say doesn’t mean it’ll be clustered with F-bombs, though.