How many more years will the franchise go?

The franchise is currently 18 years old, crazy that in a few years it’ll be 20 years old. A thought has come into my mind, how many more years will the franchise go? Franchises can’t go forever, and this includes Halo. I think it’ll go another 15-20 years after Infinite releases, thus ending between around 2035-2040 max. What’d you think, how many more years do you think Halo will go?

Although this might seem slightly cynical, I believe the franchise will continue for as long as it continues to make a profit. Halo can be considered a juggernaut in the gaming world, for both the length of time it has been around, and for how many players still play it. Even with low player counts, Halo Reach still has active lobbies for matchmaking, as well as active customs communities. Between the Halo Tour that’s going around, the HWC, and the addition of Reach to the MCC and subsequently the release of MCC on PC and Steam, we can say that 343i, and by proxy Microsoft, are committed to investing in Halo. Halo Infinite will have a newly made engine, which I can’t imagine was cheap. People are frequently asking about potential spin-offs and sequels, and the merchandise that is available, although lacking, still included many books, video series, and clothing.

TL;DR: They’re putting a lot of time and money into the series, and as long as they make more money off of it, it will stick around IMO.

I hope it doesn’t end ever.

> 2535465245593233;3:
> I hope it doesn’t end ever.

I think at some point it will have to come to an end.

> 2533274840469109;4:
> > 2535465245593233;3:
> > I hope it doesn’t end ever.
>
> I think at some point it will have to come to an end.

Something that is true but a man gotta dream.

Halo: Senior Citizen Edition
Chief busts out of the retirement home to kick some Covie blam!

My opinion. It will continue for many years.

Even after John’s death.

I think it will go for it 30 years. 20 years of new content and 10 years after that with collections and definitive editions. The company might change hands after 343 pumps out 4 or 5 more games. Then a new one remakes old games. Much like how arcade games are ported over, or how we got mcc. We might get a “halo collection” game when halo is more or less dead.

> 2533274851211096;8:
> I think it will go for it 30 years. 20 years of new content and 10 years after that with collections and definitive editions. The company might change hands after 343 pumps out 4 or 5 more games. Then a new one remakes old games. Much like how arcade games are ported over, or how we got mcc. We might get a “halo collection” game when halo is more or less dead.

30 years is a pretty long time, but again I don’t want the series to end.

> 2533274840469109;1:
> Franchises can’t go forever

What makes you say that? For all we know, the Halo franchise could continue to exist for as long as humanity does.

For as long as FPS sell and I can’t imagine them not selling as long as video games exist.

I would love to see an end to the franchise by either combining all the games ever created into one game, like MCC but with 30 other games
Or i would love something similar to Halo Online, a multiplayer only experience

> 2535465245593233;9:
> > 2533274851211096;8:
> > I think it will go for it 30 years. 20 years of new content and 10 years after that with collections and definitive editions. The company might change hands after 343 pumps out 4 or 5 more games. Then a new one remakes old games. Much like how arcade games are ported over, or how we got mcc. We might get a “halo collection” game when halo is more or less dead.
>
> 30 years is a pretty long time, but again I don’t want the series to end.

I think alot of us want it to go on forever

I think it’ll go as long as there is demand for FPS. We haven’t seen games go this long because they either grow stale or just discontinue for other projects. Halo will most likely indefinitely continue. Perhaps with new technologies it’ll new longer be played on consoles or PCs (funny saying that when it’s making a return to PC), but rather in VR. Who knows what the future holds.

> 2533274851211096;13:
> > 2535465245593233;9:
> > > 2533274851211096;8:
> > > I think it will go for it 30 years. 20 years of new content and 10 years after that with collections and definitive editions. The company might change hands after 343 pumps out 4 or 5 more games. Then a new one remakes old games. Much like how arcade games are ported over, or how we got mcc. We might get a “halo collection” game when halo is more or less dead.
> >
> > 30 years is a pretty long time, but again I don’t want the series to end.
>
> I think alot of us want it to go on forever

So true dude.

Maybe 10-20 years

As long as Microsoft is successful.

It mostly likely depend on the future of the games and 343 studios as well as Microsoft etc

> 2535465245593233;5:
> > 2533274840469109;4:
> > > 2535465245593233;3:
> > > I hope it doesn’t end ever.
> >
> > I think at some point it will have to come to an end.
>
> Something that is true but a man gotta dream.

I’m with you man! This isn’t ending! :joy::joy:

> 2533274869565071;2:
> Although this might seem slightly cynical, I believe the franchise will continue for as long as it continues to make a profit. Halo can be considered a juggernaut in the gaming world, for both the length of time it has been around, and for how many players still play it. Even with low player counts, Halo Reach still has active lobbies for matchmaking, as well as active customs communities. Between the Halo Tour that’s going around, the HWC, and the addition of Reach to the MCC and subsequently the release of MCC on PC and Steam, we can say that 343i, and by proxy Microsoft, are committed to investing in Halo. Halo Infinite will have a newly made engine, which I can’t imagine was cheap. People are frequently asking about potential spin-offs and sequels, and the merchandise that is available, although lacking, still included many books, video series, and clothing.
>
> TL;DR: They’re putting a lot of time and money into the series, and as long as they make more money off of it, it will stick around IMO.

That isn’t really cynical - it’s business. And if sales go soft, you put the IP on the shelf for some years, and then bring it back in “rebooted” form.

The real answer is “not any time soon”. Microsoft are clearly doubling down on trying to revive Halo back to it’s former glory from around the time of Halo 3 - new engine, long dev cycle, travelling interactive exhibit, prestige-budget TV show, and who knows what other tie-in stuff closer to release. Plus making it a launch title - essentially the tip of the spear for Microsoft’s entrance into the next generation.

There is a ton riding on Halo Infinite being a really good game, that rekindles broad popular interest in the series. I think 343i have learned the right lessons to pull it off, but success also relies on things beyond their creative control - marketing, monetization mandates, etc.

Honestly, I’d like to see the Halo universe branch out into other genres, dealing with things other than the UNSC fighting space aliens. How about an Deus Ex or cyberpunk-style RPG, where you’re an ONI agent who gets roped into a vast conspiracy? Or a Battlefleet Gothic-style game, where you control UNSC fleets and do battle? Or how about even a survival horror game, where your planet gets infected by the Flood, and you’re trying to escape offworld?

Master Chief as a character won’t be able to shoulder the Halo universe forever, and Halo has seemed a little unsure of what to do next since the resolution of the war with the Covenant. “Oh here’s… uh… a Covenant SPLINTER FACTION! Yeah!”, “Here’s some glowing robot dogs!”