How is CSR determined?

I know I’m not that good, and consider myself an average player at best, and really don’t care about my CSR at all. But, how can I go +13 in a game of Infinity Slayer, and then a person on my team go -2 and they get a higher CSR for that game than I do. It just doesn’t make any sense at all. Can anyone please explain it to me? Other than telling me I suck that is.

The details of the system were explained in the 4.3.13 Halo Bulletin.

CSR is not awarded on a game-by-game basis, but is instead a long-term representation of your overall skill level. It is also always a game behind.

There are two types of CSR: individual CSR and team-based CSR.

Team-based CSR is based solely on your win/loss record, regardless of individual performance. Playlists such as Capture the Flag, Team Doubles, and Team Throwdown use team-based CSR.

Individual CSR ranks players based on their scores, not K/D, regardless of victory or defeat. Infinity Slayer, Team Snipers, and Rumble Pit use individual CSR.

Whether you rank up, down, or not at all depends on the CSR of the other players in the match. If you perform well in an individual-based CSR playlist and don’t rank up, it’s possible that you beat players with CSRs lower than you, but were beat by players with CSRs higher than you. If you rank down, that means that players with lower CSRs scored higher than you. In order to rank up, you need to consistently score higher than players of a higher CSR than you (i.e. the only way to get to CSR 30 is to score higher than players who are at least CSR 29).

Your game history in your Halo 4 service record will tell you the CSRs of the players you played against, and that will give you a better indication of why your rank changes the way it does.

That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. If I go +15 and don’t use anyhting but my DMR I do “worse” than someone that goes -10 but uses a bunch of different guns? So dumb 343.

This (link) is also very informative for interpreting CSR results. (follow Furiousn000b’s comments throughout the thread too)

> That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. If I go +15 and don’t use anyhting but my DMR I do “worse” than someone that goes -10 but uses a bunch of different guns? So dumb 343.

I have no clue what you are referring to. It doesn’t care what weapon you use except in the context of the medals, which I agree is stupid. You do get points for getting kills with your dmr.

Your spread has literally nothing to do with it in the context of what weapon you use either… I’m not following the logical link between the two. Of course, it is silly that if you die alot it can actually help you with kills from the grave, revenge, come back kills, etc

I just met up with you in MM. You and I were the only ones who went positive, and we pretty much lost because of our teammates numerous deaths. It is very difficult to rise up in CSR rank, especially when playing as a random and the inevitable JIP that comes with it.

I just play mostly in the hopes of getting Legendary BR’s, and concentrate on making good decisions and not dieing. It is frustrating on the whole. I have reconciled that, in my opinion, CSR doesn’t really count for much since it is point based and not just win/loss.

> > That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. If I go +15 and don’t use anything but my DMR I do “worse” than someone that goes -10 but uses a bunch of different guns? So dumb 343.
>
> I have no clue what you are referring to. It doesn’t care what weapon you use except in the context of the medals, which I agree is stupid. You do get points for getting kills with your dmr.
>
> Your spread has literally nothing to do with it in the context of what weapon you use either… I’m not following the logical link between the two. Of course, it is silly that if you die alot it can actually help you with kills from the grave, revenge, come back kills, etc

What I mean is that if I have 15 kills with 5 deaths and 12 of my kills are with my DMR and someone else goes -5 but uses a needler and a sword and gets a lot more “medals” than I did they have had a “better” game than I did according to this system. Its stupid. The only thing that should matter in a slayer game type is your k/d and whether you win or lose. Not how many different guns you can pick up and die with.

> What I mean is that if I have 15 kills with 5 deaths and 12 of my kills are with my DMR and someone else goes -5 but uses a needler and a sword and gets a lot more “medals” than I did they have had a “better” game than I did according to this system.

Regardless of what weapon you use, you get one medal and 10 points for killing a player.

If you kill a player with a DMR, you get a Generic Kill medal worth 10 points.

If you kill a player with a Railgun, you get a Railgun Kill medal worth 10 points, but you do not get a Generic Kill medal.

Also, there is no Needler Kill medal.

> > > That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. If I go +15 and don’t use anything but my DMR I do “worse” than someone that goes -10 but uses a bunch of different guns? So dumb 343.
> >
> > I have no clue what you are referring to. It doesn’t care what weapon you use except in the context of the medals, which I agree is stupid. You do get points for getting kills with your dmr.
> >
> > Your spread has literally nothing to do with it in the context of what weapon you use either… I’m not following the logical link between the two. Of course, it is silly that if you die alot it can actually help you with kills from the grave, revenge, come back kills, etc
>
> What I mean is that if I have 15 kills with 5 deaths and 12 of my kills are with my DMR and someone else goes -5 but uses a needler and a sword and gets a lot more “medals” than I did they have had a “better” game than I did according to this system. Its stupid. The only thing that should matter in a slayer game type is your k/d and whether you win or lose. Not how many different guns you can pick up and die with.

I believe the only way to get more than 10 points from a kill (outside of multikills and other situationals) is to get a snapshot.

> > What I mean is that if I have 15 kills with 5 deaths and 12 of my kills are with my DMR and someone else goes -5 but uses a needler and a sword and gets a lot more “medals” than I did they have had a “better” game than I did according to this system.
>
> Regardless of what weapon you use, you get one medal and 10 points for killing a player.
>
> If you kill a player with a DMR, you get a Generic Kill medal worth 10 points.
>
> If you kill a player with a Railgun, you get a Railgun Kill medal worth 10 points, but you do not get a Generic Kill medal.
>
> Also, there is no Needler Kill medal.

I could be wrong, but I think what albino is trying to say that obtaining random weapons that assist in getting those kills kind of defeat the point of cautious, smart gameplay. And thereby rewarding only aggressive,non team aspect play, which should not be a factor in determining rank whatsoever.

If I am wrong, or late with this post please correct me, and I’m posting from an old DROIDX that is quite difficult to use on these forums.

> > > What I mean is that if I have 15 kills with 5 deaths and 12 of my kills are with my DMR and someone else goes -5 but uses a needler and a sword and gets a lot more “medals” than I did they have had a “better” game than I did according to this system.
> >
> > Regardless of what weapon you use, you get one medal and 10 points for killing a player.
> >
> > If you kill a player with a DMR, you get a Generic Kill medal worth 10 points.
> >
> > If you kill a player with a Railgun, you get a Railgun Kill medal worth 10 points, but you do not get a Generic Kill medal.
> >
> > Also, there is no Needler Kill medal.
>
> I could be wrong, but I think what albino is trying to say that obtaining random weapons that assist in getting those kills kind of defeat the point of cautious, smart gameplay. And thereby rewarding only aggressive,non team aspect play, which should not be a factor in determining rank whatsoever.
>
> If I am wrong, or late with this post please correct me, and I’m posting from an old DROIDX that is quite difficult to use on these forums.

Personal ordinance rewards overly aggressive game play. The scoring system rewards overly aggressive game play. If that was the point, then I can’t really disagree.

> Personal ordinance rewards overly aggressive game play. The scoring system rewards overly aggressive game play. If that was the point, then I can’t really disagree.

That’s what I meant. Or, I think deaths should count against you. If you gain 10 points per kill, you should lose at least that many points for dying. You should be rewarded based on how well you play, not for going negative but having 5 supercombine explosions in one game and costing your team the win.

> > Personal ordinance rewards overly aggressive game play. The scoring system rewards overly aggressive game play. If that was the point, then I can’t really disagree.
>
> That’s what I meant. Or, I think deaths should count against you. If you gain 10 points per kill, you should lose at least that many points for dying. You should be rewarded based on how well you play, not for going negative but having 5 supercombine explosions in one game and costing your team the win.

would have to say I agree with you. I play all my games in btis/big team slayer. Even though I play random my aim is for my team to win. It is very rare for me to finish negative. Yet the team members that finish in front of me are often negative. I think csr is a bit rambo biased.

> > Also, there is no Needler Kill medal.
>
> There is one, its called Supercombine.
>
> ( I got 610 medals of it at the moment if you wanna prof the existence :wink: )
>
> http://www.halotracker.com/H4/StarkLambo