How is "ADS-style" of zoom BETTER than original?

I have no problem with a game evolving, let alone in an environment in which gamers are perpetually whining about companies “rehashing” the same games over and over. Adding new mechanics that change up the formula is fine with me and I quite enjoyed the Halo 5 beta. But one thing simply bugged me:

How is this new “ADS-style” of zoom BETTER than the original version? What does it add to the gameplay? I’m primarily referring to the DMR and the BR.

We have constantly heard, over and over again, that 343 is really focusing on the competitive aspect of Halo 5 and more power to them for that. During Halo 2 and 3, Halo was THE competitive shooter on console. With Reach and 4…not so much.

So my question again:

How does this new “ADS-style” of zoom ENHANCE competitive play? I don’t think I’ve ever seen this question answered. There has to be a reason other than “so COD players can feel more immediately at home” in Halo 5.

I would love for a dev to answer this question as I’m sure many other long-time Halo gamers are asking the same thing. Both the DMR and sniper rifle have traditional scopes on them. Why do we see the scope with the DMR while zoomed, but not with the sniper? There is no logical consistency.

I believe the redicle is smaller on the BR while in ADS, I don’t know about the DMR.

I prefer the Spartan visor aiming system to the new ADS.

> 2533274797604373;2:
> I believe the redicle is smaller on the BR while in ADS, I don’t know about the DMR.
>
> I prefer the Spartan visor aiming system to the new ADS.

It would appear that the majority of posters on this forum agree with you, though I understand that forums are not an accurate depiction of the larger community.

I just want a simple explanation for why it is BETTER.

I’m fine with change. But I want to be able to follow the thought process that lead to these changes. With the new ADS-style, I can’t do that.

(apart from “hopefully we’ll get more sales as COD players feel more comfortable with it and recommend it to their friends”)

It really isn’t better. They did it just to do it and be like every other fps.

SOLUTION, ALL ADS COMPLAINTS ARE OBSOLETE NOW

> 2533274952179659;5:
> SOLUTION, ALL ADS COMPLAINTS ARE OBSOLETE NOW

That’s not a viable solution.

It gives a decisive advantage to anyone who chooses to disable the ADS-style zoom in favor of the traditional zoom.

It’s basically suicide for a game striving to return to its competitive roots.

I’m not sure this change was designed to make h5 “better” more so it is designed to make it different and fresh. I have spent so many hours looking through a smart linked scope that ads actually feels more fun to me right now. Like I said, it feels fresh.

It’s fancier looking zoom that improves accuracy, delays zooming and blocks your FoV and that’s it.