How I would have Implemented Spartan Abilities

First of all I don’t see the point is clamber. Why not make jumps easier to make rather than adding some pointless animation. However, I see what 343i is trying to accomplish here. That being said this is what I would have done. Instead of clamber, I would have given Spartans a small amount of jet pack reserve (only enough to last one or two seconds), allowing them to make a jump they couldn’t have previously made. This jet pack technique would allow Spartans to not only make large jumps forward, but backwards and sideways as well. Now here is how it would work. In order to access the jet pack reserves the player would simply hold down the jump button (whatever that may be), allowing them that extra boost to make an otherwise impossible jump. The direction of the movement joystick would determine in what direction the jet pack would move the player (just like the current jet pack controls in Halo 4 and Reach). Now if the payer didn’t move the joystick in any direction the player would hover in mid-air for the duration of the jet park’s reserves. This would ideally replace Stabilizer as well.

Another pointless Spartan Ability of little importance in my opinion was Slide. With the Thruster Pack already implemented I see little to no reason for Slide. I recognize Slide allows Spartans to use their weapon during the animation, unlike Thruster Pack, but besides that there really isn’t much of a difference between Slide and Thruster Pack. For this reason I think that Slide should be removed.

Spartan Charge was quite unappealing to me as well. Halo players are already against the use of Sprint as it is and I feel as if Spartan Charge almost encourages the overuse of it (whether 343i meant it to be that way or not). Afterall, Spartans can just use Thruster Pack to close the gap between themselves and an enemy and then use a melee attack. Therefore, I think that Spartan Charge should not be included in Halo 5.

In regards to sprint I am not necessarily opposed to it. I think that Sprint is a necessary modernization and that 343i has balanced it fairly well. However, that is not to say it couldn’t be balanced further. In addition to preventing shield regeneration while sprinting, I wouldn’t allow players to sprint when being fired upon. I think this balance, in addition to 343i’s current balances would make sprint more appealing to all Halo fans. Not to mention that desprint might also balance Slide and Spartan Charge if you decide to include them in the final game (which I would still advise against).

When I first saw Ground Pound I, like many other Halo players, thought it seemed unbalanced. However, with the right amount of balancing, I think Ground Pound could actually be a meaningful addition to Halo 5’s multiplayer. The following is how I, personally, would balance Ground Pound. In order to activate Ground Pound the player would hold down the crouch button (whatever that may be) and aim the ability’s reticle. Upon releasing the crouch button the Spartan would use the Ground Pound in the designated area. How long the player held the crouch button would determine the strength of the Ground Pound. A player could hold crouch for as long as he/she wished, however, after a certain period of time (ideally 5 seconds) the Ground Pound would no longer become any stronger. This would balance Ground Pound because players would have to suspend themselves mid-air (thus making themselves vulnerable) for a longer period of time in order to have a stronger attack. Likewise, if a player only needed to do a small amount of damage, they wouldn’t have to suspend themselves for as long.

I think that jet pack reserves in combination with Thruster Pack and Ground Pound would make for an interesting gameplay experience without sacrificing what makes Halo so iconic.

Why do so many people say Sprint can be balanced “further”? Sprint is either balanced currently, or is unbalanced.
I like the Spartan Abilities, but the Slide, Stabilizers, and Charge are kind of unnecessary and too much

Either way we can change it in the Beta.

I agree with most of your statements, but Sprint is the exception. It never made sense to me that a 2 decade old mechanic could ever be considered modern when there are many successful games without it.

> 2533274806427910;3:
> I agree with most of your statements, but Sprint is the exception. It never made sense to me that a 2 decade old mechanic could ever be considered modern when there are many successful games without it.

I recognize that Sprint doesn’t need to be in Halo, but it seems as if 343i is already fixed on it. Therefore, I was simply stating ways in which it should be balanced.

> 2533274922858087;4:
> > 2533274806427910;3:
> > I agree with most of your statements, but Sprint is the exception. It never made sense to me that a 2 decade old mechanic could ever be considered modern when there are many successful games without it.
>
>
> I recognize that Sprint doesn’t need to be in Halo, but it seems as if 343i is already fixed on it. Therefore, I was simply stating ways in which it should be balanced.

I know, and I actually agree with some of your ways of balancing Sprint.