How I would deal with smurfs

CSR’s and MMR’s ranks are given equal weight as an opponent selection parameter.
AND
MMR’s are applied to any profile on the same xbox.

Not a perfect solution for everyone, but it will still raise the base matchmaking level for smurf accounts, and will likely have a smaller effect on actual multiple account xbox’s.

I’d like to see some type of review system like CS:GO has. I believe it’s called “Overwatch.” Experienced players review reported cheaters and determine if they were actually cheating. This would be great for de-rankers. While smurfs are definitely still out there, the de-rankers have been more of an issue in my games lately.

The MMR thing might be doable, but I’d like to know the actual percentages of people who use one Xbox for separate people before deciding. Your scenario is likely worse for a new player though because a legit newb would be put in a higher skilled game which means there’s probably not going to be anyone around the person’s skill level and I’d imagine the teammates are gonna be pissed. With the current system, at least they’ll have people at their skill level to compete against with most likely only one smurf in the game.

> 2727626560040591;3:
> The MMR thing might be doable, but I’d like to know the actual percentages of people who use one Xbox for separate people before deciding. Your scenario is likely worse for a new player though because a legit newb would be put in a higher skilled game which means there’s probably not going to be anyone around the person’s skill level and I’d imagine the teammates are gonna be pissed. With the current system, at least they’ll have people at their skill level to compete against with most likely only one smurf in the game.

Would you mind expanding a little bit? I’m not really following the reasoning where a new player will be ranking against hither level players in this setup.

Unless you mean new players where there are more than one person actually sharing an xbox? I would be exceptionally surprised if there were a significant amount of xbox’s where more than one person play on the same xbox under different gamer tags.

I have no data analytics to backup my following assumption. In my experience though, players who may fall into this category normally don’t sign into their own gamer tag, but rather just pass around a controller signed into one profile anyway. This would cause them to face the same problem you’ve listed above whether the MMR is tied to the account, or the Xbox.

In the above scenerio tying the MMR to the Xbox would affect smurfs, but wouldn’t change the effect on new players.

I hope that all made sense…

The other people in my house would literally get 0 kills every single game if the system even used half my MMR for making their matches.

I play H5 and am plat 4. My 6 year old plays and has his own gamertag. He doesn’t play ranked but if he did, I would say he is bronze 1 or 2. We plays Super Fiesta, WZFF, and customs. I play with him and have to do some heavy carrying. If he was matched using my rank, I couldn’t carry him. My 14 year old and hubby also share the Xbox. And we do have 2 Xboxes, but everyone plays on both. (Technically we have 3 if you count the 360.) The whole reason Microsoft allows you to share a gold account is because of the number of families that share an Xbox. I know multiple people that have several people share one Xbox.

> 2614366390849210;1:
> CSR’s and MMR’s ranks are given equal weight as an opponent selection parameter.
> AND
> MMR’s are applied to any profile on the same xbox.
>
> Not a perfect solution for everyone, but it will still raise the base matchmaking level for smurf accounts, and will likely have a smaller effect on actual multiple account xbox’s.

What would matching against CSR do to help smurfing? Smurfs nowadays can be caught and brought to the correct mmr within 2-3 games. Right now the only MMR is being used to match people which is the more accurate value for skill. By going off of CSR you would allow these Smurfs to purposefully derank to bronze. Then they would have 100 win minimum of matching based on their CSR which would grant lower level opponents on average than what currently happens. Basically this would bring us back to the old system and make smurfing more effective and therefore worse.

As for averaging MMR for the whole Xbox. Not only would that hurt families that share the Xbox but trueskill 2.0 actually already combats this by being able to correctly determine MMR within a few games. I mean Josh has even stated that mmr can change upwards of 1000 points after 1 game if a deranked tries to play normally. That’s the equivalent of going from silver 4 to onyx in one game.

I think you misunderstand what the system uses for matching people. The only solution to Smurfs is to get rid of gold sharing but imo that would be a step backwards for Xbox.

> 2535425287181699;7:
> > 2614366390849210;1:
> > CSR’s and MMR’s ranks are given equal weight as an opponent selection parameter.
> > AND
> > MMR’s are applied to any profile on the same xbox.
> >
> > Not a perfect solution for everyone, but it will still raise the base matchmaking level for smurf accounts, and will likely have a smaller effect on actual multiple account xbox’s.
>
> What would matching against CSR do to help smurfing? Smurfs nowadays can be caught and brought to the correct mmr within 2-3 games. Right now the only MMR is being used to match people which is the more accurate value for skill. By going off of CSR you would allow these Smurfs to purposefully derank to bronze. Then they would have 100 win minimum of matching based on their CSR which would grant lower level opponents on average than what currently happens. Basically this would bring us back to the old system and make smurfing more effective and therefore worse.
>
> As for averaging MMR for the whole Xbox. Not only would that hurt families that share the Xbox but trueskill 2.0 actually already combats this by being able to correctly determine MMR within a few games. I mean Josh has even stated that mmr can change upwards of 1000 points after 1 game if a deranked tries to play normally. That’s the equivalent of going from silver 4 to onyx in one game.
>
> I think you misunderstand what the system uses for matching people. The only solution to Smurfs is to get rid of gold sharing but imo that would be a step backwards for Xbox.

I guess I should have clarified in my original post that this grievance was mainly directed at ranked play. Social shouldn’t depend on CSR at all, but I do still think taking the whole xbox at a single MMR rank in this case would be beneficial in regards to Smurfs, as they seem more prevalent to me than novice players showing up on my team or the enemy’s team, who don’t fit the ranks of the rest of the players in the game. (I hope that makes sense)

Everyone who’s said you have other people playing on your xbox who are of vastly different ranks, I’m really sorry to say, but I think you are a huge minority amongst xbox users. And I say that as a 30 year old with a family who occasionally play on my Xbox…

> 2614366390849210;8:
> > 2535425287181699;7:
> > > 2614366390849210;1:
> > > CSR’s and MMR’s ranks are given equal weight as an opponent selection parameter.
> > > AND
> > > MMR’s are applied to any profile on the same xbox.
> > >
> > > Not a perfect solution for everyone, but it will still raise the base matchmaking level for smurf accounts, and will likely have a smaller effect on actual multiple account xbox’s.
> >
> > What would matching against CSR do to help smurfing? Smurfs nowadays can be caught and brought to the correct mmr within 2-3 games. Right now the only MMR is being used to match people which is the more accurate value for skill. By going off of CSR you would allow these Smurfs to purposefully derank to bronze. Then they would have 100 win minimum of matching based on their CSR which would grant lower level opponents on average than what currently happens. Basically this would bring us back to the old system and make smurfing more effective and therefore worse.
> >
> > As for averaging MMR for the whole Xbox. Not only would that hurt families that share the Xbox but trueskill 2.0 actually already combats this by being able to correctly determine MMR within a few games. I mean Josh has even stated that mmr can change upwards of 1000 points after 1 game if a deranked tries to play normally. That’s the equivalent of going from silver 4 to onyx in one game.
> >
> > I think you misunderstand what the system uses for matching people. The only solution to Smurfs is to get rid of gold sharing but imo that would be a step backwards for Xbox.
>
> I guess I should have clarified in my original post that this grievance was mainly directed at ranked play. Social shouldn’t depend on CSR at all, but I do still think taking the whole xbox at a single MMR rank in this case would be beneficial in regards to Smurfs, as they seem more prevalent to me than novice players showing up on my team or the enemy’s team, who don’t fit the ranks of the rest of the players in the game. (I hope that makes sense)
>
> Everyone who’s said you have other people playing on your xbox who are of vastly different ranks, I’m really sorry to say, but I think you are a huge minority amongst xbox users. And I say that as a 30 year old with a family who occasionally play on my Xbox…

Again though you match based on MMR which is decided in like 2 to 3 games. So Smurfs aren’t really that big of a deal because they match based on their actual skill rank versus the incorrect CSR.

If players are now being accurately matched what’s the harm in using an alt account? Especially since it’s really hard now to actually derank and keep that rank being used to find easier matches?

I guess what I’m trying to explain is that you are trying to solve a problem that has been pretty much handeled so far.

> 2535425287181699;9:
> > 2614366390849210;8:
> > > 2535425287181699;7:
> > > > 2614366390849210;1:
> > > > CSR’s and MMR’s ranks are given equal weight as an opponent selection parameter.
> > > > AND
> > > > MMR’s are applied to any profile on the same xbox.
> > > >
> > > > Not a perfect solution for everyone, but it will still raise the base matchmaking level for smurf accounts, and will likely have a smaller effect on actual multiple account xbox’s.
> > >
> > > What would matching against CSR do to help smurfing? Smurfs nowadays can be caught and brought to the correct mmr within 2-3 games. Right now the only MMR is being used to match people which is the more accurate value for skill. By going off of CSR you would allow these Smurfs to purposefully derank to bronze. Then they would have 100 win minimum of matching based on their CSR which would grant lower level opponents on average than what currently happens. Basically this would bring us back to the old system and make smurfing more effective and therefore worse.
> > >
> > > As for averaging MMR for the whole Xbox. Not only would that hurt families that share the Xbox but trueskill 2.0 actually already combats this by being able to correctly determine MMR within a few games. I mean Josh has even stated that mmr can change upwards of 1000 points after 1 game if a deranked tries to play normally. That’s the equivalent of going from silver 4 to onyx in one game.
> > >
> > > I think you misunderstand what the system uses for matching people. The only solution to Smurfs is to get rid of gold sharing but imo that would be a step backwards for Xbox.
> >
> > I guess I should have clarified in my original post that this grievance was mainly directed at ranked play. Social shouldn’t depend on CSR at all, but I do still think taking the whole xbox at a single MMR rank in this case would be beneficial in regards to Smurfs, as they seem more prevalent to me than novice players showing up on my team or the enemy’s team, who don’t fit the ranks of the rest of the players in the game. (I hope that makes sense)
> >
> > Everyone who’s said you have other people playing on your xbox who are of vastly different ranks, I’m really sorry to say, but I think you are a huge minority amongst xbox users. And I say that as a 30 year old with a family who occasionally play on my Xbox…
>
> I guess what I’m trying to explain is that you are trying to solve a problem that has been pretty much handeled so far.

Well, if that is the case, that’s good to hear. I started a new job at the beginning of the summer and I haven’t gotten to play a ton since the ranking settings were changed

Huh? Can you elaborate more…

> 2533274848704527;11:
> Huh? Can you elaborate more…

What kind of elaboration are you looking for? Smurf accounts are really nothing more then a alternate account now… If you make an alternate account in thinking that’s going to hide your true rank that isn’t going to happen… TS2 has pretty much took care of that… Just what QX has said TS2 really dials in on ones skill fairly quickly… 2-3 matches and it has a fairly good idea…

> 2533274795501334;12:
> > 2533274848704527;11:
> > Huh? Can you elaborate more…
>
> What kind of elaboration are you looking for? Smurf accounts are really nothing more then a alternate account now… If you make an alternate account in thinking that’s going to hide your true rank that isn’t going to happen… TS2 has pretty much took care of that… Just what QX has said TS2 really dials in on ones skill fairly quickly… 2-3 matches and it has a fairly good idea…

Yeah. I get that. OP just cofused me on his last paragraph
Not sure what he meant

I guess I just don’t pay attention that much to really care about Smurfs. They’ve been around since Halo 2, they’re not going anywhere anytime soon, and they don’t affect the gameplay that much. If a player needs to create an alternate account (smurf) to get a confidence boost in his gaming abilities then so be it. I’ll continue grinding and adding more frags to the hundreds of thousands I’ve amassed over the years.

Seriously, don’t let “smurfs” bug you. Just enjoy the game