how i got my CSR 50: tips and tricks

Hey guys just got my 50 in infinity slayer and i wanted to share some thoughts and tips if others are trying for the 50 and wanted the point of view of someone who went through it.

Most of what i’m going to say doesn’t concern the very hardcore who probably are boosting their mate’s 2nd 50 by now, but rather for a more uninformed average player but who none the less wants to increase his CSR a bit.

• Pick the playlist!
    First of all you want to pick a playlist where you can succeed decently. Don’t play SWAT if you aren’t used to no shield gametypes etc. Also you need to choose between individual and team playlists.

The main difference between those two is how you are ranked. In individual (infinity slayer, infinity BTB, swat, regicide… ) you are ranked on how well you do compared to ALL players in the game. That means your team mates too!
Also you are ranked by POINTS only and not k/d or win/loss or anything else.

What this means is that you NEED TO RUSH almost all the time. CSR 50 in individual playlists is a race to outscore your allies and out-kill your enemies.
Death doesn’t matter very much, since all it does it gives your enemies points. If you allies are better than you, rush more. If your enemies are better than you, play more conservatively ( as to not give them points).

Furthermore playing for points mindset means that getting stuff like assists, spree, style kill bonus is actually useful. On of the best weapons for this is the beam rifle. Since it’s a mad no-scope machine, you can usually get 40-60 points after calling one in( and 50 points is easily the difference between 1st and 4th place).

In team individual CSR sometimes it can be worth letting your allies die so you can get the extra 5 points for “avenger” bonus, but it’s very tricky to time it since if you don’t put shots into the opponent it’s possible your team mate might simply kill him. Like wise, it’s also risky to try and only get clean up kills and not assists.

Overall i’d recommend trying to play “normal” and not anti team since it’s overall easier to score more points. Put shots into everyone, the assists add up ( 10-15 assists per game is like 7 full extra kills).

As for team CSR gametypes (throwdown, team objective, team castle, team ctf etc.)the only thing that matters is win/loss. You can score triple your team’s points and if you loose the game YOU loose a rank. So it means leveling up in those playlists is harder (and also slower). Usually it will be a painful experience if your trying to go in solo. For team CSR games, if you genuinely want a 50 (and not a 45) you most likely will need a team of friends to play with.
I won’t say much more about team CSR gametypes since there aren’t any “neat tricks” to level up here. It’s pure halo, meaning out play your opponents and help the team.

• NEVER JOIN IN PROGRESS when trying to get CSR
    JIP while extremely useful to avoid the 4v1s that plagued the previous Halo’s, simply does not work well with CSR.
    Once you get to higher CSR levels, simply getting 5-8th place might mean entire games won are made meaningless and you derank. JIP has been modified to allow people to join randomly only after 60 sec (can’t invite a friend for example). The problem is at times 60 sec is enough to fight an unstopable lead (JIP CTF 3 flags capped, well time to loose a level!). Many times in individual CSR games the difference between 1st and 4th can be only 15-20 points, meaning if you weren’t JIP’d half way through a game, you wouldn’t have lost your rank.

TO avoid JIP here is what to do:
When searching in matchmaking if instead of seeing a anonymous spartan profile you see the names of actual players that means it’s a JIP game. Then immediately press start, go down to "settings and files "then click a on "networks"and then click a on “my xbox 360 or system link”. After doing that your offline, all you need to do is switch your network back to “xbox live” ( no log in required) and your back at the main lobby.

• Loadouts and weapons
    Primary weapons
    As far as primary weapons go you don’t have much choice in any mode. DMR for distance battles(even “small maps” have longish line of sights where DMR can excel, such as haven or adrift). Use BR if on a very small map (i’d only use BR on abandon on my road to 50) or if the opponents are always camping on the indoors of a map (the left hand base in complex, the middle base etc…)

Secondary Weapons
As secondary you will want the boltshot in non vehicule maps. It’s simply too good to ignore. You can punish overeager rushers, fight ordnance weapons on spawn… Use it and abuse it!
For BTB CSR you’d probably want a plasma pistol to easily fight heavy vehicles that can’t be taken out with simple DMR spam.

Armor Abilities
Now for armor abilities you got a lot more choice based on personal preference. By now i think most people are familiar with what they like and i’d recommend stick to what brings you the most kills/points.

Personally i used jetpack in all my loadouts. Since i was playing an individual CSR playlists, where rushing is paramount, the jetpack allows me to easily search enemies, abuse line of sights, gain high ground frequently, or pop over cover for a clean up. I really think the jet pack is the easiest armor ability to abuse. More skilled players prefer thruster pack since it allows to (dis)engage chasing enemies, do certain jumps while not being as vulnerable as a bad jet packer.

• Getting to 50: the meta game
    On my last point i’d like to talk about some tips that i used to get to 50. There are things you can do outside the game to give you an advantage while leveling up.

Play only when well fed and rested.
You want to focus on the game not on other bodily needs. So make sure your comfortable before beginning.

Warm up!
I’d say the first hour of gameplay should be used as a warm up so that when your playing for real in your playlist your ready to take on any opponent. For warmup go to a more skilled playlist like doubles (and not action sack! you dont play better by shooting a fuel rod!).

Play for CSR as soon as possible
It’s MUCH easier to get a 50 during the first week(s) of a ranked playlist. People are still shifting around, and the competition will be less fierce. You keep your 50 forever(or unless they reset it as 343 might do) even if you actually play a lot worse than you used to. At later stages on the game’s life only hardcore players will remain and trying to catching up to their skill level might not be worth quitting your job to do.

Avoid good players and teams!
This is more important to solo players, but the idea is that NA players are a lot better than EU players. If you live in EU like me, it’s better to play at a time when americans are sleeping. Furtheremore, if you are a no lifer the best time to play is during the morning from 11am to 2om. For one, the NA players arent here, two the hardcore players who play till 4-5am are sleeping, and three most teams don’t get on until 4pm gmt when their work/school is over.
Between 11am-2pm gmt only random noobs are playing and you will get way easier opponents most of the time.

Well that’s it for me, i typed more than i thought i would, i hope someone who cares about CSR will get some use out of this

TL;DR
PLay infinity slayer, use dmr/boltshot jetpack, play around noon GMT time (EU)

> Avoid good players and teams!
> <mark>This is more important to solo players, but the idea is that NA players are a lot better than EU players</mark>. time (EU)

What? The case is probably connection more than anything else.

@xboxdigger 94

Sure connection plays in, but i honestly think that over NA is more skilled than EU. (much like in sc2 KR>EU>NA).

It’s not much but many times it feels easier when playing against EU than NA players. NA got better game sense, make less “dumb” plays, expoit the map as much as they can etc. That’s not to say ALL NA > EU but overall if i’d have to compare my k/d during morning+early afternoon and late afternoon+evening i’d prolly lose like 0.2-0.4 k/d.

It’s not the end of the world, but when every point counts for CSR, and if you can afford to choose when to play, hell why not :stuck_out_tongue:

> @xboxdigger 94
>
> Sure connection plays in, but i honestly think that over NA is more skilled than EU. (much like in sc2 KR>EU>NA).
>
> It’s not much but many times it feels easier when playing against EU than NA players. NA got better game sense, make less “dumb” plays, expoit the map as much as they can etc. That’s not to say ALL NA > EU but overall if i’d have to compare my k/d during morning+early afternoon and late afternoon+evening i’d prolly lose like 0.2-0.4 k/d.
>
> It’s not the end of the world, but when every point counts for CSR, and if you can afford to choose when to play, hell why not :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s because there are many more Americans on Xbox Live than Europeans. You will because of that meet much more Americans, both good and bad. But since you already are a level 50, you will meet many more good Americans than Europeans, and therefore get impression of that Americans generally are a lot better than Europeans.

• (Connection)

In Halo 3 Team Doubles 50, there are one guy I have never been able to beat, and he is actually from United Kingdom. My best is 22-23 against him, and I have won against about anyone, considered good, in doubles in Halo 3. He has an incredible host, and I believe that is mostly one of the reasons for him always winning against everyone.

While I can’t point out his name, he has a picture of himself beating Snipedown 25-5 in Halo 3 on Assembly.

How to get CSR 50: Turn your TV on.

Thank you very much for this, some nice info here. I’ve seen a lot of people acking about CSR and how it works, so now I can point them to this topic :slight_smile:

> TO avoid JIP here is what to do:
> When searching in matchmaking if instead of seeing a anonymous spartan profile you see the names of actual players that means it’s a JIP game. Then immediately press start, go down to "settings and files "then click a on "networks"and then click a on “my xbox 360 or system link”. After doing that your offline, all you need to do is switch your network back to “xbox live” ( no log in required) and your back at the main lobby.

While I already know this, but as far as I am aware you are not allowed to discuss this as it is a “exploit”.

> NA players are a lot better than EU players

To LSE Jeriko,

Thanks a lot.

-_-

Love, the EU.

> @xboxdigger 94
>
> Sure connection plays in, but i honestly think that over NA is more skilled than EU. (much like in sc2 KR>EU>NA).
>
> It’s not much but many times it feels easier when playing against EU than NA players. NA got better game sense, make less “dumb” plays, expoit the map as much as they can etc. That’s not to say ALL NA > EU but overall if i’d have to compare my k/d during morning+early afternoon and late afternoon+evening i’d prolly lose like 0.2-0.4 k/d.
>
> It’s not the end of the world, but when every point counts for CSR, and if you can afford to choose when to play, hell why not :stuck_out_tongue:

excuse me? You’re being unbelievably ignorant (and prejudice)

me and my brother are British and come top of the leader board in most of our games even on split screen

> > @xboxdigger 94
> >
> > Sure connection plays in, but i honestly think that over NA is more skilled than EU. (much like in sc2 KR>EU>NA).
> >
> > It’s not much but many times it feels easier when playing against EU than NA players. NA got better game sense, make less “dumb” plays, expoit the map as much as they can etc. That’s not to say ALL NA > EU but overall if i’d have to compare my k/d during morning+early afternoon and late afternoon+evening i’d prolly lose like 0.2-0.4 k/d.
> >
> > It’s not the end of the world, but when every point counts for CSR, and if you can afford to choose when to play, hell why not :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> excuse me? You’re being unbelievably ignorant (and prejudice)
>
> me and my brother are British and come top of the leader board in most of our games even on split screen

He’s just saying that, for the most part, shooter games are typically run by North Americans. There are great Western RTS players just like there are great Eastern and European shooters.

It’s not entirely prejudice. The best players from each of these games happens to fall under where you’d imagine they would. Americans are more exposed to FPS games and as a result are, on average, more skilled in them. In contrast, South Koreans play a ton of Starcraft and are, on average, more skilled.

> He’s just saying that, for the most part, shooter games are typically run by North Americans. There are great Western RTS players just like there are great Eastern and European shooters.
>
> It’s not entirely prejudice. The best players from each of these games happens to fall under where you’d imagine they would. Americans are more exposed to FPS games and as a result are, on average, more skilled in them. In contrast, South Koreans play a ton of Starcraft and are, on average, more skilled.

Thanks this is what i mean and you explained it nice and concisely.

I want to make this clear to avoid any necessary hurt feelings: i am an EU player myself and when i said NA>EU i was talking specifically about Halo (although i also believe it applies to other console shooters too).

I’m not saying a CSR 20 NA player will mop the floor with EU and be 50. But what i am implying is that at equal CSR a 50 NA player is better (ever slightly, but it’s there) than a CSR 50 EU.

I say this because i’ve no lifed for weeks at a time playing during nighttime and sleeping mornings and i genuinely noticed i had a slightly harder time vs NA than EU. Of course there are truly excellent EU players, thank god for that! But on average, in matchmaking i honestly think you WILL see a tiny difference between NA and EU. And this tiny difference can be exploited when aiming for the very top CSR.

So once more i’m sorry if i offended any EU player :stuck_out_tongue: But Halo is in a position where certain regions perform better than others, much like in starcraft 2 (or warcraft3) EU> NA. Or in WoW EU> NA. But for Halo/Cod (console shooters) i’d assume it’s not controversial to say NA> EU (it’s a generalization but it’s also a fair picture).

Thank you OP :slight_smile:

> > He’s just saying that, for the most part, shooter games are typically run by North Americans. There are great Western RTS players just like there are great Eastern and European shooters.
> >
> > It’s not entirely prejudice. The best players from each of these games happens to fall under where you’d imagine they would. Americans are more exposed to FPS games and as a result are, on average, more skilled in them. In contrast, South Koreans play a ton of Starcraft and are, on average, more skilled.
>
> Thanks this is what i mean and you explained it nice and concisely.
>
> I want to make this clear to avoid any necessary hurt feelings: i am an EU player myself and when i said NA>EU i was talking specifically about Halo (although i also believe it applies to other console shooters too).
>
> I’m not saying a CSR 20 NA player will mop the floor with EU and be 50. But what i am implying is that at equal CSR a 50 NA player is better (ever slightly, but it’s there) than a CSR 50 EU.
>
> I say this because i’ve no lifed for weeks at a time playing during nighttime and sleeping mornings and i genuinely noticed i had a slightly harder time vs NA than EU. Of course there are truly excellent EU players, thank god for that! But on average, in matchmaking i honestly think you WILL see a tiny difference between NA and EU. And this tiny difference can be exploited when aiming for the very top CSR.
>
> So once more i’m sorry if i offended any EU player :stuck_out_tongue: But Halo is in a position where certain regions perform better than others, much like in starcraft 2 (or warcraft3) EU> NA. Or in WoW EU> NA. But for Halo/Cod (console shooters) i’d assume it’s not controversial to say NA> EU (it’s a generalization but it’s also a fair picture).

I don’t agree with that. You will yes, see more highed ranked American players than EU because there are more of them. But the average 50 EU and American is just as good and, the slightly difference you are talking about is there because of connection.

Host > Skill (It goes both ways). It’s just that when you play in the evening you are more likely to be on American Host.

Just a complaint from someone back in the day …

I myself have figured out that Australians > The rest of the world, then.

I haven’t played Halo in a while, but I have a question. Is Individual based CSR similar the the BPR from Halo Reach, where if you didn’t have the highest possible score you were pretty bad?

Just curious.

> I haven’t played Halo in a while, but I have a question. Is Individual based CSR similar the the BPR from Halo Reach, where if you didn’t have the highest possible score you were pretty bad?
>
> Just curious.

Nah, CSR is more difficult to rank up in. It punishes you if you don’t do well. Still, it’s definitely not like a Halo 3 50 or even Onyx in Reach (early seasons).

Although, Whale, you would have little to no problem getting a CSR 50.

So for clarification, its about your personal score at the end of the game? Example: 325 at the end of the game as a personal score from assists, revenge, kills, etc? Because, I’ve been aiming for more of a K/D perspective to rank up. Although that would answer a lot because I will have a +10 K/D but not be the highest score and not go up.

> So for clarification, its about your personal score at the end of the game? Example: 325 at the end of the game as a personal score from assists, revenge, kills, etc? Because, I’ve been aiming for more of a K/D perspective to rank up. Although that would answer a lot because I will have a +10 K/D but not be the highest score and not go up.

Yes. In the playlists that use an individual skill based CSR, score is all that matters. In the playlists based on team skill, winning and losing is all that’s taken into account. K/D doesn’t matter in any playlist.

Thank you Killer VVhale for that clarification, I will be sure to play based off of score instead of K/D from now on!

Yeah as has been said the ONLY THING that matters in individual playlists are the points next to your name. (not win loss not k/d not anything else) Which is why i said rushing is the best way to play in those playlists as it’s better to go 25-20 and 400 points than 15-6 120 points. Also 3v4 games often advantage the players with one man down since the overall points are spread between less players than a full team.

For reference, here is how the playlists break down courtesy of the last halo bulletin:
Playlists that use individual scoring:

Infinity Slayer
Big Team Infinity Slayer
Rumble Pit
Multi-Team
Team Action Sack
Flood
Team Snipers
Regicide
SWAT

Playlists that will use team scoring:

Castle Team DLC
Team Objective
Capture the Flag
Dominion
Team Throwdown
Team Doubles
Grifball

@xboxdigger 94

Yeah i know those halo 3 vids and it’s well known that halo 3 had absolutely trash net code compared to reach and halo 4. But it’s quite outrageous to claim the US is only better “cuz they got host”. Its noticeable when your shots don’t register or if you loose your br/dmr duels due to lag. But that’s not what i meant by the NA players are better usually.

They have more players, which also means a larger pool to draw top talent from. And additionally, to be a better player you need to play against better players. This is why i feel NA > EU as far as halo goes. Hell, i haven’t ever heard of EU pro Halo players going to AGL or MLG…
Even if costs were accounted for, there’s simply not enough EU players to compete and actually win versus the best NA players. Matchmaking is simply an extension of that phenomenon.

> Yeah as has been said the ONLY THING that matters in individual playlists are the points next to your name. (not win loss not k/d not anything else) Which is why i said rushing is the best way to play in those playlists as it’s better to go 25-20 and 400 points than 15-6 120 points. Also 3v4 games often advantage the players with one man down since the overall points are spread between less players than a full team.
>
> For reference, here is how the playlists break down courtesy of the last halo bulletin:
> Playlists that use individual scoring:
>
> Infinity Slayer
> Big Team Infinity Slayer
> Rumble Pit
> Multi-Team
> Team Action Sack
> Flood
> Team Snipers
> Regicide
> SWAT
>
> Playlists that will use team scoring:
>
> Castle Team DLC
> Team Objective
> Capture the Flag
> Dominion
> Team Throwdown
> Team Doubles
> Grifball
>
>
> @xboxdigger 94
>
> Yeah i know those halo 3 vids and it’s well known that halo 3 had absolutely trash net code compared to reach and halo 4. But it’s quite outrageous to claim the US is only better “cuz they got host”. Its noticeable when your shots don’t register or if you loose your br/dmr duels due to lag. But that’s not what i meant by the NA players are better usually.
>
> They have more players, which also means a larger pool to draw top talent from. And additionally, to be a better player you need to play against better players. This is why i feel NA > EU as far as halo goes. Hell, i haven’t ever heard of EU pro Halo players going to AGL or MLG…
> Even if costs were accounted for, there’s simply not enough EU players to compete and actually win versus the best NA players. Matchmaking is simply an extension of that phenomenon.

No. The “Host-advantage” goes both ways (even in Halo 4) as said - It’s just that you play at the evening where you meet Americans at their prime time and the host usually goes to them. The connection matters a lot more than you think, and even if you can’t see them “lagg” they are gonna eat all your bullets and grenades like nothing.

AGL is made for Americans - called the American gaming league, but EGL, is made for Europeans. The European gaming league. And you were talking about the average players you meet in matchmaking, not the European pros nor the American pros.

Of course, chances are the Americans will win in the competition because they are multiple more, but that is not the case in a matchmaking system based on equal skill.

With a larger pool to draw talent from there is also a larger pool to draw worse players from. At the end, while you can’t measure it; You are going to meet many great Americans, many bad Americans, a few great Europeans, and a few bad Europeans, within your skill range.

Good thread, I did pretty much all these things when I got my 50. Also as an EU player (UK) I can vouch USA players completely destroy EU players for the most part.