HOW I ALMOST BEAT 3 GUYS ON MY OWN

Youve all faced this situation before, the online match starts, a guy on your team resigns, and then the other one does- you can sense the oppsing team waiting for the third domino to fall, but not today I decided!

This post will tell you how I almost took out three guys on my own and how I did it, it should also give you a rough story from which you can learn some techniques to utilize yourself or be aware of if your facing the covenant.

(I am by no means a professional and do not claim such)

Part 1: Scouting and scavanging
I made a temple on my base, warehouses and then expanded onto the empty base slots of my cowardly allies, who shall not be named. I sent my ghost out to their side of thr map (fort deen) to grab as many of the crates there, indirectly robbing them of supplies. I then shot up there warthogs with my ghost to prevent them scouting me out or getting any supplies.

Part 2: Bringing out the beetles
I would like to note that this strategy has a high degree of risk, and will only work on tech focused adversaries. If the enemy decided to rush, id have been wiped out-
however, most players stay relaxed and tech up, especially when theres only one guy on the other team.
BY this point i had a couple of small bases, full of warehouses and my temple base, equipped with many warehouses. After teching up 3 times, i had sufficient supplies to make a scarab AND SENT HIM TO ATTACK IMMEDIATELY.

The scarab had no trouble taking out a forward base just behind there side of the energy barriers, and my fully upgraded prophet allowed the scarab to destroy the turrets from long range. By which time, i had another scarab under production.
Both scarabs took out the lightly defended bases of one of my opponents, and then proceeded to take out his next door neighbour, who luckily had not expanded from his second base. Then came the real trouble…

Part 3: The human swarm
My final opponent had thousands of odsts running all over the place. They used their rocket launchers on my scarabs whenever they could and whenever i killed some of them, more of them dropped from the sky. Soon my scarabs were surrounded by odsts, and due to game mechanics, could not simply walk over them. Trapped by the odsts, my immobile scarabs were subsequently mac blasted and shredded. One survived and made a lucky escape.

Before I knew what was what, he was counter attacking on my side of the map, how? I asked. Scarabs being the slow things they are, I decided to build bases on the other side of the map and let the others burn.

Part 4: A war of attrition.
By this point he had the advantage. I had to rebuild my bases from scratch while he was making more bases all over the map. I got a second scarab out but they were beaten in a similar fashion. MY prophet ran over the map, trying to re establish bases and ground units, but the odsts were all over the place- i couldnt even get the jackals to do any damage as he was just replacing his units faster than i could destroy them!

The battle continued into the night, and I got sick of having to restart my bases all the time. He controlled most of the map through bases and out resourced me.
I fought to the last and before I turned off the xbox, i could hear him yelling YES YES YES down the mic. THe only thing I could remember was his motto: I love jersey.

In hindsight i realised now that our different styles of warfare were completely opposite: He had thousands of cheap, fast produced odsts, and I had the expensive uber unit scarabs, which take ages to make. He could just drop in more odsts when any got killed and i honestly thought he had no regard for human life- seeing the stacks of bodies blasted by my scarabs and prophets cleansing beam. But he could outproduce me, and out resource me, and deserved the win- regardless of my noble last man efforts. Bravo!

It looks like you had a fun game. Regardless its damn right impossible to win a 1V3. Unless of course your playing people that have never played Halo Wars…

Nice battle though i wonder how it would have ended if you immediately made a vampire and banshee rush against his caserns/bases. They are really effective against Oast and fast enough to get back to your base while Oasts takes them years to follow you

> It looks like you had a fun game. Regardless its damn right impossible to win a 1V3. Unless of course your playing people that have never played Halo Wars…

I’ve won 1v3’s and 1v2’s and 2v3’s before, the 1v2s wee mostly 3 hour super turtles on terminal moraine. the 1v3’s I can remember 2 pretty well, one i was anders I rushed with Gremlins and Hogs and managed to take 1 opponent out of the game making it more even terms. I was then facing two covie players (Having already taken care of the UNSC) so I built 10 wolves and 10 hawx. Covie can only really counter that with 50:50 vamps:hunters, but hunters have a lot less maneuverability than wolves and Their vamps couldn’t get near my hawx without being gunned down by wolves. The other I was playing Arby, it was frozen valley, my opponents were all UNSC and they built hogs and cobra’s (Why Cobras i have no idea…I had no vehicles) and that’s enough said really, between hunters engineers and Arby rage they didn’t stand a chance.

@OP, sounds like you enjoyed yourself at any rate, and that’s whats more important. typically i would recommend not using scarabs as they aren’t all that great, expensive slow to build and they can be taken out pretty easily. if you are going to us them then engineers are a must, especially if facing a cutter as the engineers will make his self reproducing ODST’s useless as they won’t be able to out damage the engineers and engineers also act as a anti-mac screen reducing the damage your scarab takes. Engineers are also cheap and easy to pump and use your leader to teleport them straight to the scarab. Also the tactics you use will greatly help your chances, not so useful on fort deen, but on maps like frozen valley there is a lot of impassable terrain your scarab can use. it stops them from getting surrounded by things like ODSTs and prevents most other units from getting to your scarab.

typically as covy people just go banshees for the early game. if you get to the late game against a cutter i would suggest hunters and jackles, hunters can easily hold their own against ODSTs and should form the backbone of your army s they do well against vehicles and buildings as well. they also have a lot more health than jackles, jackles should be used for infantry only and use their maximum range to your advantage. if the Odsts get in range of our jackles your jackles will drop like flies.

Almost? PFFTTTT!!

Lol jk, sounds like you played a freakin good game dude, gratz…I’ve 1v3d on Exile before, but that was just PT steamrolling one at a time…It was UA so no teamwork was expected, or performed from either side =)

Does it count as a 1v3 if you drive up full pop of banshees and they all resign =3 If so, I’ve 1v3d many a time xD

> It looks like you had a fun game. Regardless its damn right impossible to win a 1V3. Unless of course your playing people that have never played Halo Wars…

No, it’s not. I was playing on Fort Deen and two guys on the other team quit leaving just the recruit. I decided to just play lazy and build only spartans and take out all the rebel bases on the map. A few minutes into the match, this guy charged at my base with 20 or so gauss hogs and wiped us out. My teammates got casual too and only had SUPPLY PADS on their base!! People tend to lax when they see it’s only one guy left. It didn’t help that I didn’t scout him either. He took me out first and took out my other two teammates. I was in shock and ever since then, even if it’s only one guy left, I still play normally. Never taking anyone lightly again.

I did exact same thing happened to the guy above exect this was a different people, and i was the lone wolf and won with guass hogs, such a good feeling man i gota tell ya

Agreed, I’ve only won one 1v3, but it was hilarious. Hre’s the run down…

I’m Prophet on Exile, facing another prohet, a forge and an Anders. My teammates have quit, I decided to have fun stick it out, went for the scarab after getting the two reactors (not much else would win right)
I think my opponent slacked off and didn’t get units out fast enough, but anyway at 10 mins I had about 6 engineers a scarab and a flying Prophet, fully upgraded cleansing beam.
Go towards Anders, she cryos my scarab, but I’d kept my engineers with the Prophet, I send the Prophet in with the engineers, and after killing Anders’ 20 or soHawks, she resigns.
I go on the Prophet, he has a scarab, but only an offensive protector prophet. I easily beat his scarab, about 2 dozen hunters that come out 1 at a time, he resigns.
I go after Forge, and he’s put down a lot of cobras, and almost kills my 1 star scarab. After cursing myself and sending my engineers to heal my scarab, I simply park the scarab on the reactor ledge behind his base, while my prophet flies over the cobras and a few wolverines and cleanses them to death. Forge resigns, I win!

End result was that I got 15000 or so points and I only lost one engineer, I didn’t even lose my original ghost funnily enough.

Anyone who says you can’t win a 1v3 should be shot in the face it’s because of those attitudes that you end up being on your own I had a 1v3 on exile once me as anders (general) v a forge (general), cutter (Brigadier) and a Prophet (brigadier) i was tempted to quit but stayed forge did all tanks with 1 or 2 wolverines, cutter went ODST and spartan tanks and the prophet went hunters and vampires i chose hawks spammed them out with the help of the reactors and a 2nd to my left at the back got a near full army then all 3 came at my main base (had scout in middle for warning) so i sent my hawks straight down the middle scouting bases as i went to Forges main at the back killed that as they killed my last base so i took his main and quickly built up whilst killed his 2nd next door and cutters main in front forge and cutter at this point crippled forge starting fresh at my side whilst cutter scrambled to rebuild reactors by the time he had wolverines out i had gremlins which i had fully upgraded earlier bombarded his 2nd and 3rd with hawks and gremlins killing any wolverines he got out and forges attempts to help with his remaining tanks and cryoing any vamps counters the prophet tried this lead to cutter resigning with forge soon following then just toyed with the covenant guy till he resigned

had a different game once 3v3 all gens my guys quit about 10mins in as 3 tank armies were crushing us i beat them back and won with a well microed army of hunters and locusts with constant replacements hotdropped then having banshee spam set up ready for any resistance.

I just play halo wars like chess plan 3 or 4 moves ahead of them and your fine if they are good and are doing the same just keep being unpredictable and make it seem your being entirely obvious, if a unit build isn’t working then do something entirely different so they counter then switch back aslong as your leading the dance you’ll win.

I did it once
ONCE
When I first started playing
See both my team mates lagged out and I was alone
Wana know what?
I was against al cutters and nothing but odsts.
Any one who knows my favorite unit knows these guys were dead.
Best game ever. Brute chieftain for the win :stuck_out_tongue:
Jackals for the crown
and brutes for the blast en :stuck_out_tongue:

And that is why i use Captain Cutter :wink:
ODST’s and elephants!

Seriously though, sounds like an awesome game! Though you find the Scarabs to be slow producing and a massive target, I don’t see any other choice you had.
Besides risking a leader rush with locusts.

I would sometimes win a 1v2 in a more skillful and micro/macro intensive PC RTS game called BFME2: Rise of the Witch-king. Halo Wars, fundamentally and by just being a console RTS, could never reach such levels as that game, but HW is still quite enjoyable.

You can’t 1v2 or 1v3 people with half a brain unless they are severly crippled or out teched because of supply decay.

1 person with 8 heavy pads will make a bit over a third of the income of 3 enemies on 4 or 5 pads. Meaning they will have 3x the income. Meaning 3x the units. Meaning that even with stellar micro you lose.

> Anyone who says you can’t win a 1v3 should be shot in the face it’s because of those attitudes that you end up being on your own I had a 1v3 on exile once me as anders (general) v a forge (general), cutter (Brigadier) and a Prophet (brigadier) i was tempted to quit but stayed forge did all tanks with 1 or 2 wolverines, cutter went ODST and spartan tanks and the prophet went hunters and vampires i chose hawks spammed them out with the help of the reactors and a 2nd to my left at the back got a near full army then all 3 came at my main base (had scout in middle for warning) so i sent my hawks straight down the middle scouting bases as i went to Forges main at the back killed that as they killed my last base so i took his main and quickly built up whilst killed his 2nd next door and cutters main in front forge and cutter at this point crippled forge starting fresh at my side whilst cutter scrambled to rebuild reactors by the time he had wolverines out i had gremlins which i had fully upgraded earlier bombarded his 2nd and 3rd with hawks and gremlins killing any wolverines he got out and forges attempts to help with his remaining tanks and cryoing any vamps counters the prophet tried this lead to cutter resigning with forge soon following then just toyed with the covenant guy till he resigned
>
> had a different game once 3v3 all gens my guys quit about 10mins in as 3 tank armies were crushing us i beat them back and won with a well microed army of hunters and locusts with constant replacements hotdropped then having banshee spam set up ready for any resistance.
>
> I just play halo wars like chess plan 3 or 4 moves ahead of them and your fine if they are good and are doing the same just keep being unpredictable and make it seem your being entirely obvious, if a unit build isn’t working then do something entirely different so they counter then switch back aslong as your leading the dance you’ll win.

Nice game. They were a really stupid bunch.

I have won 1 v 3. When I started out on a new Gamertag (no rank) My teammates so delightfully resigned because they took me for a noob. My 3 opponents where licking their lips at the possibility of such easy prey and points.

Long story short, i spammed those delightful gauss warthogs and ruthlessly cut them down like pigs. Someone rage quitting when I took out all his supply pads hahaha.

p.s. the map was fort dean btw :slight_smile: