How good was Silentium?

Was Silentium as good as Cryptum/Primordium?

Better.
I read it in 4:30h

Did it cover very importsnt stuff like the battle of magginot sphere, precursors, bornstelar, etc.

> Did it cover very importsnt stuff like the battle of magginot sphere, precursors, bornstelar, etc.

that’s what its all about.

Though the author I’ve noticed tends to avoid direct combat descriptions.

> Did it cover very importsnt stuff like the battle of magginot sphere, precursors, bornstelar, etc.

The battle at the Maginot Sphere could have been a bit more elaborated in the book, but at least 343i didn’t retcon it to mush for the sake of doing it different. I was kinda anxious for a Halo: Reach in novel form when it comes to canon, but Halo Silentium isn’t that.

Definitely worth reading and at least as good as Cryptum and Primordium. In my opinion it was even better. Whereas Cryptum and (especially) Primordium have some very slow passages, Silentium keeps up the pace. At the same time it doesn’t flood you with loads of information that makes your brain hurt. The pace is just right I think. The multi-perspective narrative also keeps things interesting.

> > Did it cover very importsnt stuff like the battle of magginot sphere, precursors, bornstelar, etc.
>
> that’s what its all about.
>
> Though the author I’ve noticed tends to avoid direct combat descriptions.

I think I’m glad that he did that, the Forerunner ship battles would have been so hard to describe that it might have lost readers in confusion.

Some things the book doesn’t fully explain, and I think that it is better that way, doesn’t spoil the mystery.

But I did like the references to the Halo 4 terminals, and that CE reference at the end :slight_smile:

The book is great a lot less exploration that the first two had but answers more questions than I had imagined

Has anyone worked out the order of the chapters (strings) yet? Or ripped the cover off the book to see if it contains a hidden string in the strings (that what they call the binding).

I just started reading the book in the hope it will help solve the Requiem Easter Egg so it’s good to hear that it mentions the Domain terminals.

The rebirth video gleamed from the book and the subsequently decoded 30 mins of Greg reading a epilogue was interesting.

I think it depends on what you expected from it. I definitely expected a novel that answered all of my questions and didn’t present new ones. But, that wouldn’t be Halo I suppose. I expected too much, so I was a little dissapointed. I did really enjoy it, however!

It helped to explain how the Forrunners were just so hopelessly overrun by the Flood and Precursors. Also, it clarified to me between the IsoDidact and the Ur-Didact.

I thought it would have some connection to John somehow… idk where I got that idea, maybe I made it up myself because I would’ve liked that haha.

What I really wanted to see were descriptions of battles! Forrunners on the ground being hopelessly overrun by Flood forms we haven’t encountered in the games or other novels! I was dissapointed that combat, which is prevalent in most of the other novels (as far as I know), was pretty much ignored and just assumed to be hopeless and demoralizing.

EDIT: Personally, it was probably the best of the three… Cryptum was definitely very close, but I do like how Silentium wrapped things up.

This book is a masterpiece.

I loved it ! Definitely my favourite halo book!
It had revealed so much information, as well as it showed the hopelessness of fighting the flood

Gonna read it again before I make a final decision, but I thought it was fantastic. The early middle of it irked me, but the last half was particularly amazing.

I just can’t believe I’ll FINALLY be able to pick it up from the store tomorrow. Can’t wait to read it.

> > > Did it cover very importsnt stuff like the battle of magginot sphere, precursors, bornstelar, etc.
> >
> > that’s what its all about.
> >
> > Though the author I’ve noticed tends to avoid direct combat descriptions.
>
> I think I’m glad that he did that, the Forerunner ship battles would have been so hard to describe that it might have lost readers in confusion.

I was expecting a very small talk about how the fight in space during at the Maginot Sphere was going. Pew, pew!

I was expecting some good ground fights.

I was expecting to read the Knights kicking some Flood’s rear.

I was expecting to read about a Forerunner using a Suppressor, firing it at a horde of charging Infection Forms, popping them all very easily, then pulling out a Boltshot, busting the Infection Form held within a Combat Form, then charging the pistol up and reducing another Combat Form’s body to waste.

I was expecting to read about the Ur Didact using his Force Grip to pick up Tank Form (or heavier) throwing it into a horde of charging Flood to slow them down while he escapes.

Instead, I read about them running, being held captive, or dying without a fight… :confused:
While a great read without the fights, I feel the book could’ve been even better with some fighting.

> I think it depends on what you expected from it. I definitely expected a novel that answered all of my questions and didn’t present new ones. But, that wouldn’t be Halo I suppose. I expected too much, so I was a little dissapointed. I did really enjoy it, however!
>
> It helped to explain how the Forrunners were just so hopelessly overrun by the Flood and Precursors. Also, it clarified to me between the IsoDidact and the Ur-Didact.
>
> <mark>I thought it would have some connection to John somehow… idk where I got that idea, maybe I made it up myself because I would’ve liked that haha.</mark>
>
> What I really wanted to see were descriptions of battles! Forrunners on the ground being hopelessly overrun by Flood forms we haven’t encountered in the games or other novels! I was dissapointed that combat, which is prevalent in most of the other novels (as far as I know), was pretty much ignored and just assumed to be hopeless and demoralizing.
>
> EDIT: Personally, it was probably the best of the three… Cryptum was definitely very close, but I do like how Silentium wrapped things up.

It did:

IsoDidact to 343 Guilty Spark:

> Tell me, Chakas, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived… would you fire the rings?

Halo Silentium, Page 314

343 Guilty Spark to John 117

> Last time you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. There is no choice. We must activate the ring.

Halo Combat Evolved, Two Betrayals, Beginning Cutscene

Basically, another thing that proves that John holds a geas of the Didact.

OT: Silentium is a really, really good read! Expect for the fact that there’s very, very little fighting, it was amazing! The pacing was great, and it’s the first time I’ve ever finished a book very quickly; I finished it in 2 days! It usually takes me 2-4 weeks, mostly due to wanting to do something else (like playing Halo instead of reading it, lol!), but Silientium was so great I wanted to just keep reading!

I highly recommend this book!