How exactly does the War Games Map Pack work?

So 10 maps are shipping with the game. There will be 3 map packs afterwards (3 maps in each pack) with 9 maps total, making 19 maps in the game.

Does the War Games Map Pass mean that people will be able to play those 9 maps on launch, or is it just a pre-paid token in which they are just securing their future DLC at launch?

I’m confused as to what the point of the War Games Map Pass is. Is it just a disc with 9 maps on it, or is it a ‘pre-redeemed’ token, meaning you’ll be able to download the DLC when it comes out without using microsoft points? Is it essentially just paying for all the maps at once and waiting till they come out, or is it the maps themselves?

Thanks.

I’m sure it’s a pre-paid token that pays for the maps, obviously and then automatically unlocks the maps when they become available for download.

> I’m sure it’s a pre-paid token that pays for the maps, obviously and then automatically unlocks the maps when they become available for download.

This. It’s not Day 1 DLC.

That means the maps are on the disc then, and people will find a way to unlock them before the DLC is released…

Yes, it is basically pre-paying for maps, assuming you’ll buy them all anyways.

It’s a better deal, considering the map packs are $10 each, and the Pass comes with extra goodies.

> That means the maps are on the disc then, and people will find a way to unlock them before the DLC is released…

No, it means they will give you the code somehow. Obviously we don’t know the specifics, but the maps wouldn’t be on the disc if they were DLC, correct?

It’s possible the Pass gives you a code, which is valid for each map pack.

You say Obviously as if you know it all but truth be told you don’t know a thing because its vice versa. You worded it almost egotistical an your voiced opinion should not be heard. It is debatable but who are you to state it as if you should know like your the don or someone who can just speak for someone else. Get outta here. I love the post you made by the way on your question I wonder aswell the same.

> That means the maps are on the disc then, and people will find a way to unlock them before the DLC is released…

What? No. On the contrary. I don’t think the maps are on the disc at all - I’m pretty sure they’re going to be DLC like all the other map packs for Halo have been.

I think it’s more like Call of Duty ELITE. From my knowledge, the maps for multiplayer in MW3 were not on the disc, but you could buy them all in one huge sum and they would be added to your queue when they became available…because you already paid for them in advance.

Guess it’s like pre-ordering the DLC, you put money down in advance and pick it up once it releases.

> Guess it’s like pre-ordering the DLC, you put money down in advance and pick it up once it releases.

I think this clears it up, thanks!

I guess I’ll just pick that up someday after release. Not necessarily something I’d need right away since the maps don’t come out anytime soon.

Did they ever mention if the $25 pack is for a limited time? I’d prefer to wait as well but I know I’ll get it and would rather have it then pay $10 per pack later, so I don’t want to miss the “deal”.

Have you bought a season pass for any other Xbox games? It’ll work like that I expect - you’re “pre-ordering” DLC, and you’ll get all the DLC when it’s released, cheaper than buying it all separately.

Usually you access this DLC via the game disc when it’s released, not via the XBL Marketplace because you’ll get charged twice.

do we get the codes via-email? or it’s already like when you buy them it’s added?

It will function like Gears of War 3’s Season Pass more than likely, a option will pop up as you get to the Main Menu similiar to Reach’s news, and it will let you know new DLC is available, a Season Pass basically gives you several new DLC for free as they are released or for the price of the Season Pass. You generally get alot of DLC Content thats worth more than the price for a limited time, or number, 3 Map Packs in this case.

Can we get an official 343i confirmation that the DLC maps won’t be rendered useless months after release, like what happened in Reach?

For that matter, do we have any word about how DLC will be handled in playlists and matchmaking? All I know is that Reach was a shambles and I’d rather not put myself through that again.

> <mark>Can we get an official 343i confirmation that the DLC maps won’t be rendered useless months after release, like what happened in Reach?</mark>
>
> For that matter, do we have any word about how DLC will be handled in playlists and matchmaking? All I know is that Reach was a shambles and I’d rather not put myself through that again.

That can’t be logically confirmed now.

Why have I seen so many forum posts about this? It’s not hard to understand. You get access to the maps as they become available. It just like the Gears of War 3 Season Pass, Battlefield Premium, or COD ELITE.

Not necessarily, it might be that you get codes that allow you to download the maps from xbox live once they release them.

> Why have I seen so many forum posts about this? It’s not hard to understand. You get access to the maps as they become available. It just like the Gears of War 3 Season Pass, Battlefield Premium, or COD ELITE.

It’s worded in a way that could mean you get it before everyone else. And I haven’t bought any of those games, so those in a similar condition as me wouldn’t know how those worked either.

If they are on the disk we would find out verrrry fast via youtube what maps we can expect in DLC