How does pulling host work in this game?

i have a friend who has AT&T DSL connection and he says his speed is 280kb/s (.28MB which is very -Yoink-) yet he pulls host nearly EVERY GAME!!! one time we were playing team doubles and it was his host. he started watching some youtube clips and it lagged so hard that the host had to change. after the host change the connection was absolutely great but then he got off his computer and the HOST CHANGED TO HIM. then the game started to lag again because of his -Yoink- connection.

this proves that something is flawed with how host is managed in this game. i use to have version fios (probably the fastest ISP you can have) and i had 45MB down/35MB up yet i almost never pulled host. i used port forward and i live on the east coast like my friend. it really makes no sense that he can pull host a lot and i pull host a little.

Can I ask how you know he’s host? That speed does seem a bit low…

> Can I ask how you know he’s host? That speed does seem a bit low…

host is known when your bloom resets every time you spawn. and that speed isnt just a bit low. its molasses slow.

> host is known when your bloom resets every time you spawn.

Just checking.

> and that speed isnt just a bit low. its molasses slow.

The only reason I can think of is that he switched from a better connection, and hasn’t playefd a ton of games sice then. Barring that, maybe he has really low ping.

Guess there’s always thar 1% of the time when a sysrem makes no sense…

Its not about speed. Speed is irrelevant for the most part. Its about line quality/jitter/average pings to all participants. A common misconception.

In that guys case he could have an artificially good host record though that should correct itself quickly.

There are ways to force host for yourself, but i wont detail them here.

Usually anyone with a newer xbox pulls host. Even if their connection is bad.

> Its not about speed. Speed is irrelevant for the most part. Its about line quality/jitter/average pings to all participants. A common misconception.

Halo 3’s matchmaking prioritised bandwidth pretty heavily so a higher bandwidth, high latency connection would often win host over a lower bandwidth, low latency connection.

Reach actually tries to guess based on IPs and latency as to which connection would be the most suitable for host to keep matchmaking times down.

Both systems are abysmal.

I’d be willing to wait an 30-60 seconds so thorough tests could be performed and the most suitable host chosen because when you get a crappy host and matches last for 5-15 minutes without a host change it is far more painful.

UDP packets have no quality control which makes it hard to determine connection quality and is why games on terrible hosts can refuse to host cycle because the latency is decent by packet loss is extremely high.

p2p gaming is an abomination that needs to die.

> Its not about speed. Speed is irrelevant for the most part. Its about line quality/jitter/average pings to all participants. A common misconception.
>
> In that guys case he could have an artificially good host record though that should correct itself quickly.
>
> There are ways to force host for yourself, but i wont detail them here.

he doesnt bridge himself host. and im pretty sure his ping is terrible considering almost every single game is in yellow/red connection. also this doesnt explain why i never pulled host with verizon fios because i had a 8-12ms ping with grade A on pingtest.net.

I don’t understand pulling host either. My team NEVER pulls the host, the enemy team always has the host while they have terrible connections. We all have good connections, heck I’m from Amsterdam (The city with the second best internet connection in the world) and yet I just never manage to get it. And we also know we never have the host because our enemies always quit, the first one quits, host changes, then the next one quits and the host changes again, etc…

> I don’t understand pulling host either. My team NEVER pulls the host, the enemy team always has the host while they have terrible connections. We all have good connections, heck I’m from Amsterdam (The city with the second best internet connection in the world) and yet I just never manage to get it. And we also know we never have the host because our enemies always quit, the first one quits, host changes, then the next one quits and the host changes again, etc…

You’re confusing bandwidth with latency.

If you get into a game with 15 Americans you would be a very bad host due to the high average latency.

You ISP’s least cost international routing may also be inferior to other ISPs.

There’s many more possible points of congestion with international performance.

Unlimited ISPs often use some of the worst routing with high contention ratio to achieve unlimited plans.

Basicly or more like sadly Halo selects host based on host record for the xbox. If you have say 5mb up recorded some games as host and all players had good ping, then you are moste likely to pull host over a player with 50mb up and only a hand full of host records. This is why there are so many red-yellow bar games in Reach and insane amount og host migrations due to it doesn’t know what good connection is unless a player in the game with good connection has recorded many games as host.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/networkguide.html

i wasn’t aware you could pull host on a halo game. I never notice a difference in connection. sure every now and then theres a really bad lag match but those are few and far between. my internet is better then 80% of the usa so maybe im just getting host most of the time? idk.

> Basicly or more like sadly Halo selects host based on host record for the xbox. If you have say 5mb up recorded some games as host and all players had good ping, then you are moste likely to pull host over a player with 50mb up and only a hand full of host records. This is why there are so many red-yellow bar games in Reach and insane amount og host migrations due to it doesn’t know what good connection is unless a player in the game with good connection has recorded many games as host.
>
> A Guide to Networking, Matchmaking, and Host in Halo, v2.1

ok so xbox has this record on your profile. when i played blackops (this is when i use to have fios) im pretty sure i pulled host in that game every single game. i knew i pulled host because i spawned first with full green bar and it showed everyone didnt spawn yet with red bars. also the timer would start at 10 seconds rather than 5 seconds.

what i dont understand is how i pull host in blackops yet not in reach. it seemed like blackops just gave host to who ever had the best connection.

also if this host record is true then why does my friend still pull host all the time? his host is -Yoink- on every game we play. i play minecraft with him and it lags. when we play private matches in mw3 and hes host it lags. basically every game we play and hes host we will lag because of his -Yoink- AT&T DSL.

> > Basicly or more like sadly Halo selects host based on host record for the xbox. If you have say 5mb up recorded some games as host and all players had good ping, then you are moste likely to pull host over a player with 50mb up and only a hand full of host records. This is why there are so many red-yellow bar games in Reach and insane amount og host migrations due to it doesn’t know what good connection is unless a player in the game with good connection has recorded many games as host.
> >
> > A Guide to Networking, Matchmaking, and Host in Halo, v2.1
>
> ok so xbox has this record on your profile. when i played blackops (this is when i use to have fios) im pretty sure i pulled host in that game every single game. i knew i pulled host because i spawned first with full green bar and it showed everyone didnt spawn yet with red bars. also the timer would start at 10 seconds rather than 5 seconds.
>
> what i dont understand is how i pull host in blackops yet not in reach. it seemed like blackops just gave host to who ever had the best connection.
>
> also if this host record is true then why does my friend still pull host all the time? his host is Yoink! on every game we play. i play minecraft with him and it lags. when we play private matches in mw3 and hes host it lags. basically every game we play and hes host we will lag because of his Yoink! AT&T DSL.

CoD doesn’t use the host record when it selects host, CoD selects the player in the lobby with best connection(like you said your self). This is why there are so few red bar games in CoD compared to Halo and CoD actualy has a working locale player search. Sure Reach doesn’t have that many players now but even when it had 800k online at same time i still got matched on a US red bar host.
It takes time for the Xbox and the record before it understands if a players has a god or bad host
Allso when playing private matches in CoD the player with best connection should always start up the lobby, so you need to start a lobby and not your friend.

> > > Basicly or more like sadly Halo selects host based on host record for the xbox. If you have say 5mb up recorded some games as host and all players had good ping, then you are moste likely to pull host over a player with 50mb up and only a hand full of host records. This is why there are so many red-yellow bar games in Reach and insane amount og host migrations due to it doesn’t know what good connection is unless a player in the game with good connection has recorded many games as host.
> > >
> > > A Guide to Networking, Matchmaking, and Host in Halo, v2.1
> >
> > ok so xbox has this record on your profile. when i played blackops (this is when i use to have fios) im pretty sure i pulled host in that game every single game. i knew i pulled host because i spawned first with full green bar and it showed everyone didnt spawn yet with red bars. also the timer would start at 10 seconds rather than 5 seconds.
> >
> > what i dont understand is how i pull host in blackops yet not in reach. it seemed like blackops just gave host to who ever had the best connection.
> >
> > also if this host record is true then why does my friend still pull host all the time? his host is Yoink! on every game we play. i play minecraft with him and it lags. when we play private matches in mw3 and hes host it lags. basically every game we play and hes host we will lag because of his Yoink! AT&T DSL.
>
> CoD doesn’t use the host record when it selects host, CoD selects the player in the lobby with best connection(like you said your self). This is why there are so few red bar games in CoD compared to Halo and CoD actualy has a working locale player search. Sure Reach doesn’t have that many players now but even when it had 800k online at same time i still got matched on a US red bar host.
> It takes time for the Xbox and the record before it understands if a players has a god or bad host
> Allso when playing private matches in CoD the player with best connection should always start up the lobby, so you need to start a lobby and not your friend.

ok thanks for clearing some things up. so basically i learned that host records are complete trash and dont work.

> ok thanks for clearing some things up. so basically i learned that host records are complete trash and dont work.

Exactly.

All that really matters is current conditions like your latency and bandwidth to other players, sadly Reach gives host to someone experiencing network difficulties but with a good host record over someone with a good connection but an average host record.

You realise that host records are there specifically to keep a record of when someone has frequent crappy connections because they piss around on youtube? Clue is in the name.

Reach makes some dodgy host decisions sometimes but considering whats actually going on its not as bad as people are making out.