How does 343 regain old Halo fans who left?

My disclaimer: I’m an old school Halo fan who loves the gameplay changes in Halo 5. It’s my favorite Arena style shooter ever on consoles. This is coming from someone who ranks Halo:CE #1 on my list of games in the 3D era. I have not experienced an online console game this addicting and I’ve had my gamertag since Day 1 when XBL launched.

But…it’s disappointing to see so much negativity from the old community. It’s disappointing not to see old XBL friends who used to play 100’s of hours on Halo 2 either not purchase H5 or not play it after the first week of release.

Rather than create another complain session, let’s talk about some constructive ways to bring old time Halo fans to H5 without ruining H5 for those of us that think the changes to gameplay are excellent.

For example, my idea:
Create Halo classic settings that can be easily applied to custom games and Forge. This means no Spartan abilities, slower movement, and larger radar. Make it easy to apply to Forge. Have a social Forge playlist. Use highest rated Forge maps in ranked playlist. Obviously the current maps would not work without Spartan abilities so user created Forge maps built around the classic sandbox would be the only way to make it work.

I think there’s a fear of splitting the community but those who aren’t a fan of the current game are splitting to other games anyways.

They don’t. They continue to make their own game and gain a following of their own. If they believe a classic playlist like that would be necessary then that’s their prerogative.

People left because the gameplay they loved the series for is no longer part of the franchise. MCC was one way to win them back and look how that went. The only other way is to change things back to how they were during the original trilogy with proper changes that improve upon that gameplay. Halos classic gameplay and Halos modern gameplay are not compatible, so it’s one or the other.

Honestly, getting many of the people who bought in and left to come back is already a tough thing to do. Gamers don’t often come back to a game after they’ve given up on it. I’d argue much of it could have been alleviated by having a more robust custom games suite than they released with as well as better map designs. I know some of my friends left because there was no Firefight or similar PvE experience to keep them interested. Warzone just isn’t as exciting as advertised. I’m holding out final judgment until the release of the December update, but if it only adds Forge and nothing in the custom games or other areas of play, then this game may essentially be dead to me and my friends, which seriously bums me out.

Same here OP, Bungie lost me with ODST and Reach and it’s Halo 5 that has brought me, as well as some of my old high school buddies back to Halo. I’m loving it. I think the best way to bring back older players and keep the ones they have it for us as a community to get more involved in the inclusion of others as well as building communities. While I see so many complaints here on the forums the community I’m a part of it growing and it’s been insanely fun and I’m having such a different experience than most people it seems. I think if Spartan Companies transcended into some kind of clan matchmaking on xbox live it would help with sustainability.

Let’s be real, I think we can all agree that multiplayer games are more fun when we play with people we like and have fun with. That community aspect needs to show up in the menu screen for Halo 5. Maybe they could show all members of the clan, set up messages and play dates for different playlists. Clan matchmaking could make a come back or even Clan tournaments where they track the stats for a clan 1v1 tournament. There’s so much that could happen here.

One thing you said about classic playlists, they’ve made them before and few people played them. People think they want an old school Halo style playlist but what’s really happening is they can’t replicate the nostalgia they had during classic Halo games so they look for anything to blame including ranks, no ranks, sprint, SA, whatever.

> 2533274833380875;2:
> They don’t. They continue to make their own game and gain a following of their own. If they believe a classic playlist like that would be necessary then that’s their prerogative.

Yep exactly but currently this game is confused on itself on what type of following it wants to cater towards.

The only thing that would possibly get people to come back would be to implement ALL of the content that the previous Halo games had/introduced, yet was inexplicably gutted from 5… (Split-screen, campaign theater and scoring, Forge, non-campaign solo PvE/PvE co-op with multiplayer progression [Firefight/Spartan Ops], FULL customization options [Not just helmet, armor set, visor, and PRE-MADE emblems…], social playlists, good, non-Forged, OFFICIAL maps, MANY game-modes [Infection, Griffball, muti-team, etc], playable and customizable Elites, full custom game options, and more…)

> 2533274833380875;2:
> They don’t. They continue to make their own game and gain a following of their own. If they believe a classic playlist like that would be necessary then that’s their prerogative.

It’s almost like halo 5 is their own game…

I’ve seen many complaints that are flat out made up. It’s like they want to hate it without seeing what has been improve on which has plagued previous Halos. Everyone who used to play years ago that has played it says it’s good.

Now the issue:
There is more fake sense of achievement with other games. Destiny still draws people back because they have daily quests and constant leveling of something that makes everyone feel like they need to play in order to upgrade whatever part they try to upgrade. COD is doing the same thing. You are constantly trying to unlock or complete tasks and it draws players in each and every day.

Halo 5 needs to revamp “their take” on fake sense of achievement with ways to collect and upgrade thngs. Daily goals or Weekly goals would draw players in and keep them. The REQ system is a start, but maybe make it less about total play time and randomness.

They also need to make players feel like they don’t need a full fireteam to compete. Everyone blames their teammates in Halo more than any other game. Other games you feel like you are your only team and it’s about self-achievement. But maybe that’s what makes Halo so good and competitive.

As for game mechanics, 343 and Microsoft need to do a better job of making less-hardcore players feel like they are good at aiming. The combination of aiming sensitivity and acceleration seems to add some frustration. Most of it is the controller and programming of it.

Other things, Halo 5 does really well that Bungie didn’t do well, but I just hope they continue to improve its core.

> 2533274819567236;3:
> People left because the gameplay they loved the series for is no longer part of the franchise. MCC was one way to win them back and look how that went. The only other way is to change things back to how they were during the original trilogy with proper changes that improve upon that gameplay. Halos classic gameplay and Halos modern gameplay are not compatible, so it’s one or the other.

Halo 5 is Classic halo gameplay …yes I’m very old skool like I just turned 45 and H5 plays exactly how it should. …just saying :slight_smile:

They don’t. Loll realistically speaking you cannot bring everyone back and bring in new ppl. That goes for everythingg movies games etc. I feel halo 5 is the closest we will ever see to “old halo”

I don’t see 343 putting away Spartan abilities and Sprint and tbh I don’t want them to.

The community for Halo has become toxic, “WE WANT THIS, WE WANT THAT, YOU SUCK 343!!!” Though many things that people point out are true, you have two groups here, people like me who had Halo as their childhood, and people who started at Halo 4 and understand absolutely nothing about what makes Halo, Halo.

Two separate minds colliding will make a toxic environment, it will continue to be toxic until the Halo Vets are happy because we are the ones pointing out flaws in 343i’s game which pissed off the 343i fans and the Monitors. All the Halo Vets want is that classic and mystic feel to halo. The forerunners used to be mystical and neat because we knew so little and it was all in the lore. (But that’s hardly the point, I love playing on all these forerunner planets.) The point is the direction that they are taking it in and the way they make us look.

Bungie put so much depth and detain into their armor, destiny included (reluctantly). In Reach, just having the simple black undersuit with the colorful armor on top regardless of the team you are on added so much to the DOP of the armor, whole in 343i’s design, it is all 1 color (the mesh underneath, the metal part, and all of its accessories, there aren’t any minor details either, it just looks like a fresh model right out of Maya with a pastel color slapped on.

Anyways, what I am trying to get at here is Halo Vets are upset that 343i isn’t doing Halo right under bungie standards, which are through the roof compared to 343i standards, 100% of the people who work at Bungie are there because they are passionate about making amazing and memorable games, maybe 20% of the people who work at 343i feel this way.

That is the main problem.

They’d still have them if they didnt mess up the MCC so hard.

I think it’s time to retire the halo series when any developer has 3 years to make a game and it’s still missing features thats been a standard of the series it just doesn’t add up 343 move on to something else because it’s clear that you have no idea what or how to continue the franchise

> 2533274794139417;14:
> I think it’s time to retire the halo series when any developer has 3 years to make a game and it’s still missing features thats been a standard of the series it just doesn’t add up 343 move on to something else because it’s clear that you have no idea what or how to continue the franchise

Can we just give 343i Destiny and bring Bungie back, I had a dream about that last night. Halo 5 that looked like Halo Reach on steroids, with a forge map the size of AC 4 Black Flag, with 100% unlimited items and a terrain editor.

We could play as elites and it had every custom gamemode that Halo has ever had and then some.

It was only a dream though.

> 2533274798759716;10:
> > 2533274819567236;3:
> > People left because the gameplay they loved the series for is no longer part of the franchise. MCC was one way to win them back and look how that went. The only other way is to change things back to how they were during the original trilogy with proper changes that improve upon that gameplay. Halos classic gameplay and Halos modern gameplay are not compatible, so it’s one or the other.
>
>
> Halo 5 is Classic halo gameplay …yes I’m very old skool like I just turned 45 and H5 plays exactly how it should. …just saying :slight_smile:

Halo 5 isn’t classic Halo gameplay.

> 2533274798759716;10:
> > 2533274819567236;3:
> > People left because the gameplay they loved the series for is no longer part of the franchise. MCC was one way to win them back and look how that went. The only other way is to change things back to how they were during the original trilogy with proper changes that improve upon that gameplay. Halos classic gameplay and Halos modern gameplay are not compatible, so it’s one or the other.
>
>
> Halo 5 is Classic halo gameplay …yes I’m very old skool like I just turned 45 and H5 plays exactly how it should. …just saying :slight_smile:

Sorry, but no. Halo 5 is nowhere near classic, classic would be no insta-sprint, no shoulder charging, and no groundpounds. The movement would be as smooth as Halo: Reach, and it would have that “Bungie Charm” in it.

by making a classic halo playlist with no sprint,thrusters,clamber,or thrusters.i trued it and it works pretty well oh yea and no ground pounding or anything new to the movement system they added in halo 5

Halo 5 is a fun game and it felt as though it had the classic halo feel to it even with all the new age bull at first. The more I play though the less I’m liking the game and getting tired of all the new things in it. I’ll continue to play it because I’ve learned to settle with everything they are doing to the game because it’s not going to change. If you want the veterans back that left then it has to be just like halo 2 or 3 without horrible flaws upon release.

> 2728296738546254;1:
> My disclaimer: I’m an old school Halo fan who loves the gameplay changes in Halo 5. It’s my favorite Arena style shooter ever on consoles. This is coming from someone who ranks Halo:CE #1 on my list of games in the 3D era. I have not experienced an online console game this addicting and I’ve had my gamertag since Day 1 when XBL launched.
>
> But…it’s disappointing to see so much negativity from the old community. It’s disappointing not to see old XBL friends who used to play 100’s of hours on Halo 2 either not purchase H5 or not play it after the first week of release.
>
> Rather than create another complain session, let’s talk about some constructive ways to bring old time Halo fans to H5 without ruining H5 for those of us that think the changes to gameplay are excellent.
>
> For example, my idea:
> Create Halo classic settings that can be easily applied to custom games and Forge. This means no Spartan abilities, slower movement, and larger radar. Make it easy to apply to Forge. Have a social Forge playlist. Use highest rated Forge maps in ranked playlist. Obviously the current maps would not work without Spartan abilities so user created Forge maps built around the classic sandbox would be the only way to make it work.
>
> I think there’s a fear of splitting the community but those who aren’t a fan of the current game are splitting to other games anyways

Nope don’t create a classic section. That’s what the game should be like. tack on a section for the newer gameplay for Halo that being the smaller population