-How does 1-50 HURT anyone?- Be reasonable.

<mark>Let’s look at this with open minds and not believe/follow what Frankie or anyone from 343 says without thinking about it first, especially with the experience many of us have.</mark>

> Frankie commenting on 1-50 ranks → http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37645842&postcount=16368 ← Link 1
>
> Link 2 → http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=37645428 ← Link 2

Now let me ask you this: How does 1-50 actually HURT anyone? Let me break this down as simply as possible for everyone…

> Boosters: So what? A booster has to go in with a full team in order to win games because obviously they’re not as good alone. Isn’t that the point of matching similarly grouped teams? If anything, that one bad player is easier to kill since they’re not as good. Also, why is the term “boosters” seen as a bad thing anyway? The person being “boosted” doesn’t necessarily have to be bad, but they’re still playing with a team and if they play people worse than them, they should win anyway. It’s really not like the same two teams are getting matched up every single game…
>
> Buying accounts: So what? How does this actually HURT you at all? Seriously, someone explain this to me. Just because some random John bought an account and never plays on the 50, doesn’t mean it should bother you. Worry about yourself and your own accomplishments.
>
> Stealing accounts: Don’t give your account away. Simple as that. That is not a problem with the system, that is a problem with ignorant/naive people. Again, that shouldn’t HURT you in any way.

<mark>For this next part, this is something I typed up a long time ago and posted on Bungie forums regarding what achieving a 50 can mean to people. So here it is, I think it’s an interesting read:</mark>

> In regards to having a high rank means nothing…
>
> --------Well, why do you play games? To have fun and to enjoy your time while getting away from other things in life possibly, whether it’s bad or just for some extra time. That being said, would you still be having fun if you constantly suck and lose all the time? Chances are, no. Getting that 50 COULD mean a lot to many people, such as making them feel like they achieved something, ya know, like a sense of accomplishment.
>
> Why couldn’t it get you anywhere in life? Isn’t being happy all what life should be about? Getting that 50 would make someone happy and make them feel good and just provide that much more of a good day that they could take that mentality to other aspects in their life, such as playing sports, hanging out with people, doing good in school, etc…
>
>
> You know, it’s kind of like this…
>
> Have you ever played a sport and lost a game horribly, then the rest of the day just feel like crap and not want to do anything because it was such a big loss? Well, let’s look at the reverse of that situation…
>
> Say you had won that game, you would be extremely excited and carry that enthusiasm to other aspects of your life sort of like how achieving a 50 could make you go into other situations with a mindset that’s already positive. Also, if you think about it, what does hanging out with your friends do? Does it get YOU anywhere in life? Probably not, but it just makes you feel better and enjoy life more… Similar to what video games and certain accomplishments in these games do for people.
>
>
>
> <mark>Therefore, in conclusion you should just stop with your bickering and actually THINK outside the box and reconsider the situations in which you speak of.</mark>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi, Bye, and Thanks.

I had that saved for a perfect time like this from years ago lol - So read it and post with an open mind. Sure this is a video game, but some of the accomplishments you make even in video games heightens your moods, especially happiness in which you can take that positivity to other areas of your life. There are tons of studies that happiness leads to longer/healthier lives.

In conclusion: Achieving a high rank = happier/healthier life.
We. Need. Visible. Ranks.

*i can’t rank up? -sigh-, now wheres that CoD disc got to … *

also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.

Even though I agree…

> Boosters: So what? A booster has to go in with a full team in order to win games because obviously they’re not as good alone. Isn’t that the point of matching similarly grouped teams? If anything, that one bad player is easier to kill since they’re not as good.

You have the Boosters definition backwards. Boosters (playing on new low level accounts) are really good kids who play with not so good kids to give them the advantage.

> *i can’t rank up? -sigh-, now wheres that CoD disc got to … *
>
> also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.

Yeah, it made the system meaningless overall, but it wasn’t meaningless to me.

I enjoyed 1-50, regardless of all the crap that came with it. Why should an aspect of my enjoyment be thrown out?

How does boosting affect my enjoyment of 1-50? It doesn’t.

>
> also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.

Can you explain the MASSIVE impact that problems had on the system to make it redundant?

These “Problems” are as simple as this.

If a person got a 50 because they played with a very good team, that’s why it’s called TEAM slayer and not Slayer. If a person on a professional team was obviously not as good as everyone else, yet that team still won the championship, does that player not deserve that Ring?

If a person buys a level 50 account, how does that ruin the system? The person that initially got the 50 on that account was obviously good enough to get the 50 thus not ruining the matchmaking system.

If a person gets their account stolen in the process of them thinking that someone is going to rank them up, THAT’S THEIR FAULT. If you give the keys of your car to a stranger thinking that they are going to drive it to the gas station, fill it up, and come back, YOU ARE A FOOL! And when you call the police and report your stolen car, they will laugh at you.

So I don’t see what actual “problems” there are with the matchmaking system are when there is a 1-50 ranking system.

> > *i can’t rank up? -sigh-, now wheres that CoD disc got to … *
> >
> > also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.
>
> Yeah, it made the system meaningless overall, but it wasn’t meaningless to me.
>
> I enjoyed 1-50, regardless of all the crap that came with it. Why should an aspect of my enjoyment be thrown out?
>
> How does boosting affect my enjoyment of 1-50? It doesn’t.

so why add a feature or system that has no use or meaning? would just be a waste of time that could be better spent …

> >
> > also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.
>
> Can you explain the MASSIVE impact that problems had on the system to make it redundant?

the system is a progression of a players skill level and to deterimine how skillfull the person is, boosting, account selling, de-ranking, stealling all ruined this because it stopped being a progression of a persons skill and you could not determine the players skill level.

all the problems broke the system, that is a massive impact.

> Even though I agree…
>
>
>
> > Boosters: So what? A booster has to go in with a full team in order to win games because obviously they’re not as good alone. Isn’t that the point of matching similarly grouped teams? If anything, that one bad player is easier to kill since they’re not as good.
>
> You have the Boosters definition backwards. Boosters (playing on new low level accounts) are really good kids who play with not so good kids to give them the advantage.

Isn’t that what happens naturally anyway? Whether on purpose or not… If good players play on a team with bad players, they’re more likely to lose against a full team of good players, especially once they get closer to higher ranks.

>

Really? Look at Reach. Case closed.

> >
>
> Really? Look at Reach. Case closed.

most of reachs current population only play for the Cr … have you not seen the massive population shifts to playlists with super jackpot?

> > > *i can’t rank up? -sigh-, now wheres that CoD disc got to … *
> > >
> > > also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.
> >
> > Yeah, it made the system meaningless overall, but it wasn’t meaningless to me.
> >
> > I enjoyed 1-50, regardless of all the crap that came with it. Why should an aspect of my enjoyment be thrown out?
> >
> > How does boosting affect my enjoyment of 1-50? It doesn’t.
>
> so why add a feature or system that has no use or meaning? would just be a waste of time that could be better spent …

It does have a use and a meaning, to me.

> >
>
> Can you explain the MASSIVE impact that problems had on the system to make it redundant?
>
> These “Problems” are as simple as this.
>
> If a person got a 50 because they played with a very good team, that’s why it’s called TEAM slayer and not Slayer. If a person on a professional team was obviously not as good as everyone else, yet that team still won the championship, does that player not deserve that Ring?
>
> If a person buys a level 50 account, how does that ruin the system? The person that initially got the 50 on that account was obviously good enough to get the 50 thus not ruining the matchmaking system.
>
> If a person gets their account stolen in the process of them thinking that someone is going to rank them up, THAT’S THEIR FAULT. If you give the keys of your car to a stranger thinking that they are going to drive it to the gas station, fill it up, and come back, YOU ARE A FOOL! And when you call the police and report your stolen car, they will laugh at you.
>
> So I don’t see what actual “problems” there are with the matchmaking system are when there is a 1-50 ranking system.

QFT! Especially the bolded part… :smiley:

How does 1-50 hurt anyone?

Rank bashing. Belittling another person just because their rank is lower than yours. It could be considered a form of cyber bullying.

For a trueskill system, it sure did fail at representing a player’s TRUE skill.

> > >
> > > also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.
> >
> > Can you explain the MASSIVE impact that problems had on the system to make it redundant?
>
> the system is a progression of a players skill level and to deterimine how skillfull the person is, boosting, account selling, de-ranking, stealling all ruined this because it stopped being a progression of a persons skill and you could not determine the players skill level.
>
> all the problems broke the system, that is a massive impact.

I like how you totally ignored everything else I posted underneath that to explain how those aren’t problems.

Once these people get their 50’s they do not continue to play on their 50’s cause they are obviously not good enough to stay there, thus taking them out of the matchmaking and not making them a problem.

However, the person that actually did get to that point deserved that 50 and actually made the matchmaking system work.

If you have a problem with a person that is walking around with a 50 that doesn’t deserve it, that’s your personal vendetta against that person. It would become painfully obvious once you go against that person that he is not an actual 50.

There will NEVER be a perfect system, so why try reinventing the wheel when you have a system that the majority of people would prefer.

> > > > *i can’t rank up? -sigh-, now wheres that CoD disc got to … *
> > > >
> > > > also “so what” isn’t a valid reason for why 1-50 is ok and that the problems are fine, the problems had a massive impact on the system making it completely redundant.
> > >
> > > Yeah, it made the system meaningless overall, but it wasn’t meaningless to me.
> > >
> > > I enjoyed 1-50, regardless of all the crap that came with it. Why should an aspect of my enjoyment be thrown out?
> > >
> > > How does boosting affect my enjoyment of 1-50? It doesn’t.
> >
> > so why add a feature or system that has no use or meaning? would just be a waste of time that could be better spent …
>
> It does have a use and a meaning, to me.

to you maybe, but to the actuall game and the majority of the population? no …

I agree, people loved that system and there is clear proof of this. Merely the fact that people boosted shows that the system meant something to lots of gamers out there. Although ditching the 1-50 may be the logical thing to do, sometimes the logical solution is not the best answer.

> > >
> >
> > Really? Look at Reach. Case closed.
>
> most of reachs current population only play for the Cr … have you not seen the massive population shifts to playlists with super jackpot?

Now imagine the population that would come back if competitive matchmaking with ranks were restored to its former glory…

You know, back in the days of Halo 2 1-50 used to mean something… Funny, competition, awesome gameplay and what else!

Now you people just want a 1-50 to show off for the most part. Have you all forgotten what it means to play ‘‘Halo’’ ???

> How does 1-50 hurt anyone?
>
> Rank bashing. Belittling another person just because their rank is lower than yours. It could be considered a form of cyber bullying.

Then get off the internet. Cyber bullying is going to happen no matter what. Just like schoolyard bullies.

> For a trueskill system, it sure did fail at representing a player’s TRUE skill.

Trueskill is extremely flawed. It takes the average of a player’s (guesstimated) potential skill and displays that.