How do you think Blue Team should be introduced?

In discussing the topic under the current “owl” thread, it was noted that Cortana, according to most lore, is/should not be Chief’s focus for Halo 5. To summarize a point made in that thread, I wanted to ask the community this: since gamers have been exposed to Cortana, and have yet to know anything about Blue Team in any game, how should the emphasis be placed on the new team to players?

It has been noted that the events of prior games and lore show that Cortana only spent a mere 3 months or so with Chief (while he was concious, at least) before the end of Halo 4. However, the players that do not or have no read the lore have only had 1 constant in the games besides Chief - Cortana. If Blue Team is set to be an important role (as teaser art clearly shows), and the lore puts such weight on the connections that the original Spartan IIs sare, then there must be a way to clearly convey this to the player without feeling like a slap in the face to all of the former plays. From the 1st cutscene (and midway through the level) of H:CE, to the final moments in H4, Cortana has been present to the Chief (even being separated in 3 for much of the game, her presence is echoed to the point of frustration in paused gameplay at times).

Alternatively, to those that have not been exposed to the lore, how would bringing a new team to the fold not be a jarring experience as a player of the series?

I’d say it presents an interesting challenge. I think its hard to go either way. People like me who know exactly who blue team is, might be thrown off by Blue team “introducing” themselves to MC, for the sake of the people who don’t know who they are. But at the same time, if they are all of a sudden just there, then all the people who don’t know who they are will wonder “who the heck are these guys and where did they come from?”

I could see Locke and his team getting a briefing on them. He has to learn about them somehow. That could serve to introduce them.

> 2533274852314926;3:
> I could see Locke and his team getting a briefing on them. He has to learn about them somehow. That could serve to introduce them.

That sounds completely plausible and likely

Halo 4 had a sort of flashback sequence, so I wouldn’t mind another showing them in action as kids. I would like the sequence with them having to kill a marine and get into a pelican to get back, that could be neat to see. Yeah, Locke should have to learn information on them though, that’s where this “memory” could take place.

> 2533274906745123;4:
> > 2533274852314926;3:
> > I could see Locke and his team getting a briefing on them. He has to learn about them somehow. That could serve to introduce them.
>
>
> That sounds completely plausible and likely

I agree with that, and likely to be in the beginning cutscene (similar to Halo 4’s interrogation). There will still be a shift, as many players might just assume they are Spartan IV’s, or since they have different armour than Chief, they might just not understand. I mean, the games clearly avoided them in the past (ignoring the Dyson Sphere thing entirely), yet they brought Halsey into the fold by retconning the (imo) best book out there (FoR got me into the lore). Without rewriting Reach a third time (which would be the foundation of the surviving SII squads), it would be awkward tossing in older Spartans to the player.

Well this whole huntthetruth thing is digging into John’s past, so blue team will probably be introduced through flashbacks of his days on Reach (I hope).

Maybe as intro of halo 5 itself. A lot of stuff was told in books (as escaltions and new blood) that talked about the events after halo 4. A big intro reassuming that including blue team and locke’s team wouldn’t be bad…

> 2533274852314926;3:
> I could see Locke and his team getting a briefing on them. He has to learn about them somehow. That could serve to introduce them.

I think this would definitely be the best way to do it.

This campaign could a great way to flesh out the origins of the spartan II’s. This has been done in the extended universe stuff, but not in the games. They are going to have to do a really good job explaining that there are some Spartan II’s still alive, because that isnt really confronted in the games either. All of that explanation gives them ample opportunity to introduce Blue Team and establish those relationships so that they actually “mean” something to the player.

I would expect nothing less than a well put together cutscene introducing them and their specialties.

So I have this crazy pipe dream that the first mission of the game is one of Blue Team’s early missions during the Covenant war and it will be how we are introduced to Blue Team for non-lore folks.

> 2533274806148254;12:
> So I have this crazy pipe dream that the first mission of the game is one of Blue Team’s early missions during the Covenant war and it will be how we are introduced to Blue Team for non-lore folks.

Yes! Do this!!! For the Love of the Precursors DO This!!!

with an explosion in the background as they step into battle, duh!

I think that Spartan blue team should start off the way halo escalation # 10 left off after defeating the Didact and it should almost be the starting cutscene of the game

OOOooorrr it cou

> 2533274825160595;13:
> > 2533274806148254;12:
> > So I have this crazy pipe dream that the first mission of the game is one of Blue Team’s early missions during the Covenant war and it will be how we are introduced to Blue Team for non-lore folks.
>
>
> Yes! Do this!!! For the Love of the Precursors DO This!!!

Or it could be the mission seen in Escalation so that non-lore fans know what happened to the Didact while establishing Blue Team. But I like my other idea better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well to be honest… my expectations are so high… I don’t think ill EVER be happy with it…

But… I think a flashback sequence would be the best bet. Perhaps Johns in deep thought in his… “finding his humanity” and we have a flashback. I think it would be SUPER cool to play a mission in the pre fall of reach era. It would be a good a way to introduce them to the guy saying “WHO THE HECK IS THIS?”.