How do you prefer to play Multiplayer?

So, there’s a (fairly straightforward?) question I’d like to post to the other Spartans across Waypoint:

• What code of conduct, if any, do you follow when engaged in a multiplayer match?
    Your answer can be as brief or as expansive as you wish. In my case, I always focus the entirety of my gameplay around honor and respect, with little-to-no care for whether I win or lose. Here’s a list of the rules I always follow:

• No Power Weapons: While I’m sure that there’s a certain level of skill required to properly operate Power Weapons (Sniper Rifles, Heavy Explosives, Super Melees, etc.), their higher damage output tends to pitch a battle in the wielder’s favor. When in a fencing match, it would be utterly dishonorable (and, admittedly, ridiculous) for one of the fencers to suddenly use a Rocket Launcher upon his opponent; the true point of the battle is to see whose skill with the weapon they’ve been given is greater than the other’s. The same applies in the digital battlefield; I would leave a match in shame if I ever killed an opponent with advantageous weaponry. - No Non-Loadout Weapons: Same concept as the “Power Weapons” rule. While not as excessive as Power Weapons, most Non-Loadout Weapons tend to have higher damage output or accuracy than Loadout Weapons. If I can’t kill an opponent with the weapons I’ve been given at the start of the battle, then I have no right to kill them with weaponry that’s meant to “give me an edge”. - No Boosts: I refer to modifications such as Overshields, Camouflage, or anything similar. Yet again, these are pieces of equipment designed to provide that additional “edge” in a match; but, there is no honor in killing an opponent when my shields can suddenly take twice as many hits as theirs. - No Spawn-oriented Killing: There are two types of killing that I will do my very best to never engage in: Spawn Killing (where I eliminate an opponent immediately as, or after, they have respawned from a previous “death”), and Respawn Killing (where I immediately eliminate an unsuspecting opponent that happened to just miss my nearby respawn). As a simple rule-of-thumb, I work with a “No Kill” window of five seconds; if I spot a player who’d just respawned, I ignore them and move on, or – if they press the matter – will not engage for at least five seconds. Likewise, if I’ve just respawned, I won’t engage nearby opponents during that window, due to the fact that’d I’d just miraculously appeared out of nowhere near them. The five seconds allows myself – and all other Spartans – to properly re-acclimate to the battlefield, so a much more honorable clash can take place. - No Killing Idle Players: I believe the more popular term is AFK (Away From Keyboard) / AFC (Away From Controller), but the simple description of an Idle Player is someone who’s present in the battlefield, but isn’t presently being controlled. There is no respect or honor in killing an enemy that can’t defend themselves; if I ever see any Idle Players, I simply ignore them and move on to a more worthy opponent. - No Hunting Weaker Players: While these opponents can defend themselves, as opposed to Idle Players, there is no respect (or honor, for that matter) in purposefully targeting opponents weaker than myself. This, interestingly, didn’t become an issue until Halo 4. Perhaps I was simply lucky during Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, but I’ve more recently had times where I’ve been mismatched with one or two players whose skill level is clearly below my own. And believe me, I believe I’m an Average-to-Below-Average player, so when someone’s worse than me, it’s typically disturbingly obvious. Whenever this happens, I quickly memorize their name/appearance and do my very best to either avoid engagements with them, or – if pressed – try to lower my skill level to something my opponent can match. Understandably, this is an extremely difficult rule to follow/execute. - No Quitting: No matter how frustrating a match can be, no matter how painful circumstances might become, NOTHING excuses quitting a match. As Spartans, when we join together in a lobby, that becomes an unspoken promise that we will all see our fight through to the bitter end. To quit is to not only show complete disrespect to my opponents, but also to completely invalidate any reason for my future opponents to show any respect to me. In short: quitting is the equivalent of cowardice. If I cannot handle the occasional bad luck on the battlefield, then I shouldn’t play at all. The only time I will ever be seen leaving a match early will be when my internet connection suddenly drops (and if it does, once I get it back, I usually send apology messages to my former opponents); apart from that, I will never have a legitimate excuse to abandon my duty. - No Unsportsmanlike Conduct: I refer to things such as “Teabagging”, assaulting/shooting a fallen opponent, spamming noise through my microphone… Essentially, anything that would indicate a complete lack of respect to my opponents. This, of course, is common sense, as doing so otherwise is blatantly dishonorable, and – frankly – completely immature.And that’s about it; beyond that, my play style is a bit “berserker” focused as I try to find my opponents as quickly as possible and usually try to apply as many “brute force” tactics as possible, unless circumstances manage to teach me to look for a more tactically defensive approach. Sadly, some of these rules weren’t implemented until Halo 5: Guardians, as it took quite a number of painfully shameful matches from Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4 to teach me what code of conduct I wished to follow.

And so, the floor is open. Feel free to list any behavior patterns/rules you personally follow. If you have any questions/concerns about my playstyle, I’ll answer them as best as I can.

Whilst I agree with the latter stages regarding sportsmanship, I’m not really getting why you only use load out weapons. They’re there for a reason and available for all to get.#

You sound like some Elite Zealot you know that?

(Although spamming Answers and Banshee ultra’s in Warzone is a bit rude)

checks service record Wow. He is completely serious.
I admire your commitment to your definition of honor and respect, and respect your decision to keep that gameplay restricted to FFA.

I personally have a similar gameplay style as you, though not as strict. I try to avoid cheap, low-balling tactics, such as camping or power-weapon hogging (we all know those players that can ONLY operate if they have a shotgun in hand). I will use whatever weapon I can find and that I feel fits my particular need, though I do find myself sticking to the basic AR/magnum the majority of the time. In previous Halos I always preferred human weapons over covenant/forerunner weaponry, and while I do now find use for non-human weapons, I still find myself sticking to these old tendencies.
As I said, I don’t like to be that one guy that can only operate with power weapons, nor do I like that one guy who uses them. That being said, I will change my tactic to stop the power weapon hoarder: fight fire with fire, as some would say. As an example, if I am on Empire or Eden, I generally don’t use the shotgun. But if there is someone on the opposing team that its decimating with nothing BUT the shotgun, I will do everything in my power to a) take the shotgun away from him, b) keep him from getting the shotgun again, and if necessary c) using said shotgun against him. The same goes for weapon pads such as rocket launchers, SAWs, rail guns, sniper rifles, etc. If my team is falling behind I will grab one to try and turn the tide, but I usually avoid them unless there is someone on the enemy team that is decimating with said weapon. Then, as above, I will do everything in my power to grab said weapon, and if necessary jump off a cliff just to keep them from using it.
I follow similar tactics with vehicular combat. I do find myself using vehicles more in Halo 5 than I have in previous games, but in Halo 3 in particular, I felt vehicles were a very cheap tactic, and would not use them unless necessary. In customs and LAN games with my friends, for example, i would not touch vehicles, and it was kind of an unwritten rule with my split screen party that vehicles were unfair and hence untouchable. However, if one decided that he was getting annoyed, or bored, and decided to try and turn the tide with a vehicle, I would proceed to board or destroy said vehicle, then commence in a vehicular rampage until said individual realized the error of his ways and abandoned the idea, at which point I would exit my vehicle and resume the gunfight.

All in all, I tend to be the player who rushes in strong, always putting pressure on the enemy. Most times this ends in my death, and I am trying to learn how to be more conservative, but C’est la vie.

You are missing all the fun of the game.

The only condition I have for taking someone on is whether or not they have even the slightest chance of defending themselves. Beyond that, It’s mostly fair game. If I see an AFK/AFC, I usually try to take that opportunity for an assassination for commendation reasons. I try to avoid teabagging, though.

In Warzone, I only use loadout weapons (99% of the time) I rarely use vehicles, and I have never used a boost. Never.

In Arena, the only power weapon I allow myself to pick up is the Railgun. All others I predominantly refuse to use them.

I play to have fun. I don’t much care, win or lose. I’ll use weapons I find fun, and tactics I’m in the mood for. If I feel like camping out and trying to assassinate people, I’ll do it. If I feel like spartan charging everyone into oblivion, I’ll do it. I’ll -Yoink!- enemies only when it’s most ridiculous and has a humorous value, not just to be an -Yoink-.

> 2533274830926790;6:
> In Warzone, I only use loadout weapons (99% of the time) I rarely use vehicles, and I have never used a boost. Never.
>
> In Arena, the only power weapon I allow myself to pick up is the Railgun. All others I predominantly refuse to use them.

a quick check of your service record refutes that claim

Except for your no-quitting policy we’re practically the same player. My hat is off to you, sir. I guess our big difference, apart from my willingness to walk away from a match, is that you’ve deliberately chosen this path, and I’ve adopted it by default because I don’t know how to do anything else.

Like others have said, I as well do not play strict at all. I love to T-bag, but I also love to BE T-bagged. I like starting T-bagging wars because when I used to play Halo 3 on my old account years ago I was a very dirty player with constant betrayals and T-bagging (now I just like to do the latter), idk I guess that’s where I have gotten the most joy out of this franchise (my fav franchise), that, and the campaigns of course! Plus, I find getting kills way too satisfying to even remotely try one of your techniques, kudos to you though!

> 2533274824175624;2:
> Whilst I agree with the latter stages regarding sportsmanship, I’m not really getting why you only use load out weapons. They’re there for a reason and available for all to get.#
>
> You sound like some Elite Zealot you know that?
>
> (Although spamming Answers and Banshee ultra’s in Warzone is a bit rude)

Looks up Sangheili Zealot dossiers/articles Wow. You’re right; I honestly had no idea! That’s actually pretty fascinating; slightly creepy, but fascinating.

As for my weapons restrictions, the availability is actually part of the reason why I don’t use any weapons outside of Loadouts. Granted, Power and Non-Loadout Weapons are available for anyone to obtain, but not every Spartan can simultaneously wield them, thus leaving each encounter unequal.

> 2533274856792412;3:
> checks service record Wow. He is completely serious.
> I admire your commitment to your definition of honor and respect, and respect your decision to keep that gameplay restricted to FFA.

Oh, yeah! I forgot to mention that I stick exclusively to Free-for-All and don’t play on teams; mostly, because I recognize that my playstyle would likely harm the experience of any potential teammates.

> 2533274833569045;4:
> You are missing all the fun of the game.

It’s always a possibility, but I find that I leave each match both feeling like I had fun, and with a clear conscience. Perhaps we have differing views of what “fun” is in the game?