How do you make Breakout less campy? Add Ricochet.

So I saw a RUL video of Breakout and noticed they’ve added a neutral flag. I also notice it got ignored completely. I understand what 343i were trying to do, but it just doesn’t work out because the easier alternative is to just camp the flag, which is the same strat they started with.

So I kept thinking “What can they do to make it more dynamic”. Less cover on the edges encouraging people to migrate into the middle? With clever map editing, that could work, but it would destroy long range combat, and people would still camp. Strategically position power weapons in key locations? Well sure that would work, but you’d have to buff health because otherwise the risk of permadeath wouldn’t be worth the power weapon when everybody has 3sk weapons on them already.

It was frustrating me because I could see the very awesome potential of this game type. I imagined people running different plays that they had practiced with their teams, kind of like American Football. That’s when I remembered another awesome gametype that is like American Football: Ricochet.

I’ll spare you the rest of the process and pitch my idea.

Basically, the idea is that the ricochet gametype would be overlapped with breakout with only a few modifiers that would easily be tweeked in a custom gametype and forge.

First of all,both sides will have a score zone, which will be as wide as the arena playing in, or at the very least, pretty damn wide. This will reduce camping as there will be too many places to hide in, meaning an offensive player can sneak their way near the score zone and have their teammate throw them the ball and just run it in. Instead, the defensive team will be geared towards quickly eliminating the offense, while offense will be focusing on making the play.

Second, the ball can not score by being thrown in. This will prevent the game from ending the moment somebody grabs the ball.

Third, The ball will spawn on one team’s side of the map, and rotate between sides either each round, or during a “Half-Time” switch over. This will create a back and forth dynamic where one team will be playing more defensively, and the other will be playing more offensively. However, because both teams will have a score zone, there are potential reversals. Imagine killing the guy running the ball in, throwing it to your friend cross map, and having him or her score. These kind of momentum shifting moments will be possible.

I’m sure there are problems with my idea, and I can still foresee some camping, but I had the idea and figured I’d post it. Question, Comment, Abusive Threats, and presumptions about OP’s mother are all welcome.

Interesting. Maybe you could build that gametype in forge and test it out?

Breakout + Ricochet (Breakochet? O.o). I like it haha. Loved Ricochet in Halo 4, such a fun game type and I could totally see this working, I think I might prefer a smaller goal size though rather than larger, really get folk fighting to score. Looking forward to seeing more stuff like this from the community once H5 drops :slight_smile:

You’re suppose to plant the flag, not capture it. So changing to Ricochet won’t mix things up too much as is. It’s already an offensive-minded objective.

I would love to see a Breakout version of Ricochet. But I don’t think it would solve the campiness. Any game mode with 1 life is going to involve some people camping. Movement isn’t as a much an option when you can literally die and stay dead at any moment. That’s why we got power weapons like the Hydra and BR on the map.

I would love Ricochet in Halo 5. I never played it in Halo 4, but it always sounded like a ton of fun. With the new Spartan Abilities it could be even more interesting and it’d be the new fast paced sport of Halo.

I think a central item like overshield (normal shield given its breakout), invisibility, or putting the BR/DMR in the middle is the way to go. Not a flag.

I loved the concept of breakout, but I hated both sides having a BR. Basically the entire team would try to rush and fight for the BR, which was annoying. I say, follow the paintball inspiration, and just make both sides completely even, and then put something out in the center to draw some meaningful attention.

> 2533274833380875;5:
> I would love to see a Breakout version of Ricochet. But I don’t think it would solve the campiness. Any game mode with 1 life is going to involve some people camping. Movement isn’t as a much an option when you can literally die and stay dead at any moment. That’s why we got power weapons like the Hydra and BR on the map.

Pretty much this. Theres really no way to fix camping when you only have one life per round.

That would be awesome.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the flag… It’s not meant to be a primary objective, just to keep people from hiding at the end of the match when they are outnumber…

the he primary goal is still to take out the other team. So as long as their is little health and only one life, people will play at a slower pace…

which is is fine by me… The matches still ended up playing pretty quickly…

i think you will see people playing it differently and running ‘plays’ but a few matches at an event isn’t really enough time for people to learn the map and pick up strategies

I wouldn’t worry too much at the moment. Since breakout maps are all made in forge, I expect to see many different styles (KOTH, Oddball, Ricochet, etc…). And also, I assume that 343i will be adding many fan-made maps/gametypes into the online rotation for breakout.

Put in the Ricochet ball, after a delay. It can be thrown, but when it scores, you don’t win. instead, the first teammate to die gets to drop back in. If you run the ball in, all dead teammates drop back in.

If a team does this a second time, they win.

Honestly Ricochet is my absolute favourite, so I’ll take it with anything. Hoping Ricochet’ll get it’s own playlist actually.

How about sections of the floor, starting from base, go red every 20s until the arena is half the size. Going on red flooring obviously kills you. It wouldn’t look out of place either with the VR look.