How do you hope the entire story ends?

We’re getting Infinite next year, and it’s gonna be a soft reboot of sorts. aside from that, a couple of times I’ve wondered of how the story could end. I’ve imagined it that the Flood returns bigger than ever. The species of the galaxy are totally taken by surprise, and decide we need to work and fight together against the Flood. My idea is also a number of Forerunners have returned as well, and are helping. The plan is to secretly develop and construct a few hundred shield worlds for massive populations. Only a select few would know of the location of the shield worlds, as to not have them compromised and discovered by the Flood like last time. The other part of the plan will be to head to the Ark and activate the Array. There’ll be significant casualties, but they’ll try to get as many as possible into the shield worlds. Once the Array is fired, there are no detections of the Flood. After this, the Precursors telepathically leave the message that they will no longer interfere with our Universe, and that Humanity has finally obtained the Mantle. After this, the Array and Ark are destroyed. It ends with all the species united together, ushering in a new age of peace for the galaxy, leading the way to a bright future. Just a little idea I thought up, what’d you think?

The idea of a united and peaceful galaxy sounds great. But eventually it would never last. Competition is a key tenet of nature. No matter how intense a shared experience might be, the intensity will wane over time. A peace like the one you described my last for a generation or even a few generations. However, after a while the significance of the fabled Flood threat will fade from memory, and the galaxy will return to its natural state of competition.

We’ve had examples of this in the real world. World War 1 was called “the war to end all wars”, and that obviously proved false barely two decades later when World War 2 started and was even more devastating. But this is a gaming franchise, so your idea could be very possible in that context.

I’ve never really thought of how it would all end. As a huge Halo fan, I hope it never does, but I know it likely will some day.

> 2535435902217648;2:
> The idea of a united and peaceful galaxy sounds great. But eventually it would never last. Competition is a key tenet of nature. No matter how intense a shared experience might be, the intensity will wane over time. A peace like the one you described my last for a generation or even a few generations. However, after a while the significance of the fabled Flood threat will fade from memory, and the galaxy will return to its natural state of competition.
>
> We’ve had examples of this in the real world. World War 1 was called “the war to end all wars”, and that obviously proved false barely two decades later when World War 2 started and was even more devastating. But this is a gaming franchise, so your idea could be very possible in that context.
>
> I’ve never really thought of how it would all end. As a huge Halo fan, I hope it never does, but I know it likely will some day.

True, though I would hope a conflict this massive would lead to the galaxy being closer than ever before. I’d be much happier if they bring it to a definitive end, it shouldn’t go forever. It needs to end at some point.

Activate the Ark. Fire the Rings. Everyone dies.

Only the handful that are left aboard Installation 00 will be the survivors. And maybe they leave the galaxy just like the Iso-Didact did. That or they try to rebuild from scratch.

Or in my opinion, the best way to allow the journey to end, no survivors. We fire the Rings and no one is around afterwards. No sentient life, that is.

> 2533274840469109;3:
> > 2535435902217648;2:
> > The idea of a united and peaceful galaxy sounds great. But eventually it would never last. Competition is a key tenet of nature. No matter how intense a shared experience might be, the intensity will wane over time. A peace like the one you described my last for a generation or even a few generations. However, after a while the significance of the fabled Flood threat will fade from memory, and the galaxy will return to its natural state of competition.
> >
> > We’ve had examples of this in the real world. World War 1 was called “the war to end all wars”, and that obviously proved false barely two decades later when World War 2 started and was even more devastating. But this is a gaming franchise, so your idea could be very possible in that context.
> >
> > I’ve never really thought of how it would all end. As a huge Halo fan, I hope it never does, but I know it likely will some day.
>
> True, though I would hope a conflict this massive would lead to the galaxy being closer than ever before. I’d be much happier if they bring it to a definitive end, it shouldn’t go forever. It needs to end at some point.

I think you make a good point on that.

With that in mind, perhaps they can take a BSG route (all of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again). The Flood return, the galaxy unites, after a long fight they decide to activate the array and end the threat once and for all along with themselves. Then the final game in the Halo franchises ends with a cut scene of microorganisms evolving once again. Thus the cycle repeats for the next epoch of time.

I’m not a huge fan of the way BSG ended (I feel more lukewarm about how it ended), but there’s a poetic justice in bringing everything back to the beginning.

> 2535435902217648;5:
> > 2533274840469109;3:
> > > 2535435902217648;2:
> > > The idea of a united and peaceful galaxy sounds great. But eventually it would never last. Competition is a key tenet of nature. No matter how intense a shared experience might be, the intensity will wane over time. A peace like the one you described my last for a generation or even a few generations. However, after a while the significance of the fabled Flood threat will fade from memory, and the galaxy will return to its natural state of competition.
> > >
> > > We’ve had examples of this in the real world. World War 1 was called “the war to end all wars”, and that obviously proved false barely two decades later when World War 2 started and was even more devastating. But this is a gaming franchise, so your idea could be very possible in that context.
> > >
> > > I’ve never really thought of how it would all end. As a huge Halo fan, I hope it never does, but I know it likely will some day.
> >
> > True, though I would hope a conflict this massive would lead to the galaxy being closer than ever before. I’d be much happier if they bring it to a definitive end, it shouldn’t go forever. It needs to end at some point.
>
> I think you make a good point on that.
>
> With that in mind, perhaps they can take a BSG route (all of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again). The Flood return, the galaxy unites, after a long fight they decide to activate the array and end the threat once and for all along with themselves. Then the final game in the Halo franchises ends with a cut scene of microorganisms evolving once again. Thus the cycle repeats for the next epoch of time.
>
> I’m not a huge fan of the way BSG ended (I feel more lukewarm about how it ended), but there’s a poetic justice in bringing everything back to the beginning.

Really interesting idea for an ending, though I think it’d be a bit too bitter. I think it should be bittersweet, where we’ve won, but so much has been lost. So many characters are dead, along with our lead character. Would also be bittersweet that the Precursors are no longer gonna enter our Universe. Would be a mixture of happy and sad in the ending.

> 2533274840469109;1:
> We’re getting Infinite next year, and it’s gonna be a soft reboot of sorts. aside from that, a couple of times I’ve wondered of how the story could end. I’ve imagined it that the Flood returns bigger than ever. The species of the galaxy are totally taken by surprise, and decide we need to work and fight together against the Flood. My idea is also a number of Forerunners have returned as well, and are helping. The plan is to secretly develop and construct a few hundred shield worlds for massive populations. Only a select few would know of the location of the shield worlds, as to not have them compromised and discovered by the Flood like last time. The other part of the plan will be to head to the Ark and activate the Array.

I have some problems with this honestly. 1) The Flood returning (Edit: in a major role) would make Halo 3 pointless, similar to The Force Awakens or Terminator: Dark Fate, both of which majorly damaged the franchises in a lot of people’s eyes. While everyone wants the Flood back now, I’m guessing Halo will meet the same Dark Fate (hahaha…) once the game releases. 2) The Forerunners are gone and vowed never to return I’m pretty sure. And it’s been 100,000+ years, they’re probably dead. While they could come back, I’d rather avoid as many extended lore retcons as possible.

For these reasons, while I’m tearing up just at the awesomeness of the thought of the Array having to be fired again like in Silentium, I don’t think it’s plausible. Ideally, I’d love a Halo Wars 3 set in the Forerunner/Flood/Human wars where the campaign ends with the Array being fired.

Now, as for my ending, I honestly think the main story needs to end with the Created being defeated. Since Infinite is a soft reboot, they’ve probably planned 2-3 other games to properly conclude this narrative thread and I think that needs to end the main story. I’d have Chief die taking Cortana with him because that’s really the entire purpose of the Spartan program in my mind: dying in service of humanity. Chief having to adjust to civilian life wouldn’t really work for me. If they do it right, and make his death like Kurt’s in Ghosts of Onyx, I at least would break down into uncontrollable sobbing. I think it can work. And honestly, what else would they do to progress the story? Forerunners, Precursors/the Flood, the Covenant, pretty much every option for a main narrative thread will have been exhausted. While I would welcome spinoffs like Halo Wars 3, I don’t think the main story can continue beyond the current story thread without veering into Force Awakens or Dark Fate territory.

> 2535411561717249;7:
> > 2533274840469109;1:
> > We’re getting Infinite next year, and it’s gonna be a soft reboot of sorts. aside from that, a couple of times I’ve wondered of how the story could end. I’ve imagined it that the Flood returns bigger than ever. The species of the galaxy are totally taken by surprise, and decide we need to work and fight together against the Flood. My idea is also a number of Forerunners have returned as well, and are helping. The plan is to secretly develop and construct a few hundred shield worlds for massive populations. Only a select few would know of the location of the shield worlds, as to not have them compromised and discovered by the Flood like last time. The other part of the plan will be to head to the Ark and activate the Array.
>
> I have some problems with this honestly. 1) The Flood returning would make Halo 3 pointless, similar to The Force Awakens or Terminator: Dark Fate, both of which majorly damaged the franchises in a lot of people’s eyes. While everyone wants the Flood back now, I’m guessing Halo will meet the same Dark Fate (hahaha…) once the game releases. 2) The Forerunners are gone and vowed never to return I’m pretty sure. And it’s been 100,000+ years, they’re probably dead. While they could come back, I’d rather avoid as many extended lore retcons as possible.

To your first point, the Flood have already returned. They were the antagonist of the Awakening the Nightmare DLC. And I would disagree that their return in that DLC rendered Halo 3 pointless. It may have lessened the impact somewhat, but that game still saw the end of the formal Covenant, the end of the Covenant War, and it still severely crippled the Flood. To your second point, the Forerunners could return if some of them locked themselves away in Cryptums. The Didact survived in one all the way until the events of Halo 4. Though I do agree with you that I’d rather them not return (except the Didact, because he was a cool villain who should have continued as the main antagonist beyond Halo 4).

> 2535411561717249;7:
> > 2533274840469109;1:
> > We’re getting Infinite next year, and it’s gonna be a soft reboot of sorts. aside from that, a couple of times I’ve wondered of how the story could end. I’ve imagined it that the Flood returns bigger than ever. The species of the galaxy are totally taken by surprise, and decide we need to work and fight together against the Flood. My idea is also a number of Forerunners have returned as well, and are helping. The plan is to secretly develop and construct a few hundred shield worlds for massive populations. Only a select few would know of the location of the shield worlds, as to not have them compromised and discovered by the Flood like last time. The other part of the plan will be to head to the Ark and activate the Array.
>
> I have some problems with this honestly. 1) The Flood returning would make Halo 3 pointless, similar to The Force Awakens or Terminator: Dark Fate, both of which majorly damaged the franchises in a lot of people’s eyes. While everyone wants the Flood back now, I’m guessing Halo will meet the same Dark Fate (hahaha…) once the game releases. 2) The Forerunners are gone and vowed never to return I’m pretty sure. And it’s been 100,000+ years, they’re probably dead. While they could come back, I’d rather avoid as many extended lore retcons as possible.
>
> For these reasons, while I’m tearing up just at the awesomeness of the thought of the Array having to be fired again like in Silentium, I don’t think it’s plausible. Ideally, I’d love a Halo Wars 3 set in the Forerunner/Flood/Human wars where the campaign ends with the Array being fired.
>
> Now, as for my ending, I honestly think the main story needs to end with the Created being defeated. Since Infinite is a soft reboot, they’ve probably planned 2-3 other games to properly conclude this narrative thread and I think that needs to end the main story. I’d have Chief die taking Cortana with him because that’s really the entire purpose of the Spartan program in my mind: dying in service of humanity. Chief having to adjust to civilian life wouldn’t really work for me. If they do it right, and make his death like Kurt’s in Ghosts of Onyx, I at least would break down into uncontrollable sobbing. I think it can work. And honestly, what else would they do to progress the story? Forerunners, Precursors/the Flood, the Covenant, pretty much every option for a main narrative thread will have been exhausted. While I would welcome spinoffs like Halo Wars 3, I don’t think the main story can continue beyond the current story thread without veering into Force Awakens or Dark Fate territory.

The Flood returning post-Halo 3 doesn’t ruin the ending of that Campaign. The Gravemind itself said “Defeat is simply and addition of time”, meaning the Flood WILL come back, only just a matter of when. Also, there’ve been small outbreaks since then, like with Awakening the Nightmare. Also, we know there are some other living Forerunners still around at various locations. Won’t be too shocked if Bastion is a colony (cur dialogue indicates it’s a shield world). Wouldn’t want millions back, but a small number, a few thousand. I highly, highly doubt the Created is the final conflict in the story. With Infinite being a soft reboot, doesn’t see like the story isn’t winding down, but ramping up again.

> 2535435902217648;8:
> > 2535411561717249;7:
> > > 2533274840469109;1:
> > > > 2533274840469109;9:
> > > > > 2535411561717249;7:
> > > > > > 2533274840469109;1:
> > > > > > We’re getting Infinite next year, and it’s gonna be a soft reboot of sorts. aside from that, a couple of times I’ve wondered of how the story could end. I’ve imagined it that the Flood returns bigger than ever. The species of the galaxy are totally taken by surprise, and decide we need to work and fight together against the Flood. My idea is also a number of Forerunners have returned as well, and are helping. The plan is to secretly develop and construct a few hundred shield worlds for massive populations. Only a select few would know of the location of the shield worlds, as to not have them compromised and discovered by the Flood like last time. The other part of the plan will be to head to the Ark and activate the Array.
> > > > >
> > > > > I have some problems with this honestly. 1) The Flood returning would make Halo 3 pointless, similar to The Force Awakens or Terminator: Dark Fate, both of which majorly damaged the franchises in a lot of people’s eyes. While everyone wants the Flood back now, I’m guessing Halo will meet the same Dark Fate (hahaha…) once the game releases. 2) The Forerunners are gone and vowed never to return I’m pretty sure. And it’s been 100,000+ years, they’re probably dead. While they could come back, I’d rather avoid as many extended lore retcons as possible.
> > > > >
> > > > > For these reasons, while I’m tearing up just at the awesomeness of the thought of the Array having to be fired again like in Silentium, I don’t think it’s plausible. Ideally, I’d love a Halo Wars 3 set in the Forerunner/Flood/Human wars where the campaign ends with the Array being fired.
> > > > >
> > > > > Now, as for my ending, I honestly think the main story needs to end with the Created being defeated. Since Infinite is a soft reboot, they’ve probably planned 2-3 other games to properly conclude this narrative thread and I think that needs to end the main story. I’d have Chief die taking Cortana with him because that’s really the entire purpose of the Spartan program in my mind: dying in service of humanity. Chief having to adjust to civilian life wouldn’t really work for me. If they do it right, and make his death like Kurt’s in Ghosts of Onyx, I at least would break down into uncontrollable sobbing. I think it can work. And honestly, what else would they do to progress the story? Forerunners, Precursors/the Flood, the Covenant, pretty much every option for a main narrative thread will have been exhausted. While I would welcome spinoffs like Halo Wars 3, I don’t think the main story can continue beyond the current story thread without veering into Force Awakens or Dark Fate territory.
> > > >
> > > > The Flood returning post-Halo 3 doesn’t ruin the ending of that Campaign. The Gravemind itself said “Defeat is simply and addition of time”, meaning the Flood WILL come back, only just a matter of when. Also, there’ve been small outbreaks since then, like with Awakening the Nightmare. Also, we know there are some other living Forerunners still around at various locations. Won’t be too shocked if Bastion is a colony (cur dialogue indicates it’s a shield world). Wouldn’t want millions back, but a small number, a few thousand. I highly, highly doubt the Created is the final conflict in the story. With Infinite being a soft reboot, doesn’t see like the story isn’t winding down, but ramping up again.
>
> To your first point, the Flood have already returned. They were the antagonist of the Awakening the Nightmare DLC. And I would disagree that their return in that DLC rendered Halo 3 pointless. It may have lessened the impact somewhat, but that game still saw the end of the formal Covenant, the end of the Covenant War, and it still severely crippled the Flood. To your second point, the Forerunners could return if some of them locked themselves away in Cryptums. The Didact survived in one all the way until the events of Halo 4. Though I do agree with you that I’d rather them not return (except the Didact, because he was a cool villain who should have continued as the main antagonist beyond Halo 4).

> 2533274840469109;9:
> > 2535411561717249;7:
> > > 2533274840469109;1:
> > >
>
> The Flood returning post-Halo 3 doesn’t ruin the ending of that Campaign. The Gravemind itself said “Defeat is simply and addition of time”, meaning the Flood WILL come back, only just a matter of when. Also, there’ve been small outbreaks since then, like with Awakening the Nightmare. Also, we know there are some other living Forerunners still around at various locations. Won’t be too shocked if Bastion is a colony (cur dialogue indicates it’s a shield world). Wouldn’t want millions back, but a small number, a few thousand. I highly, highly doubt the Created is the final conflict in the story. With Infinite being a soft reboot, doesn’t see like the story isn’t winding down, but ramping up again.

Aw crap, needed to clarify that I’m fine with the Flood returning in smaller roles to keep them from becoming the big bad again like Halo Wars 2 (I agree that Halo 3 is still relevant even with Halo Wars 2), however I believe that if they become the big bad again it would take some serious work to convince me it’s not making Halo 3 pointless. Mainly though I think my not wanting them to return stems from my absolute hatred of fighting Flood though and I’m masking it by coming up with story excuses. Really though in the end it’s still Halo so I’ll probably like it regardless it’s just not my preferred direction for the story.

The UNSC ascendent, finally reaching the true pinnacle of their abilities.
Becoming the kind of space military government that’ll make Star Wars fans go “ohhhh daaannnnngggg”

> 2533274821734005;4:
> Activate the Ark. Fire the Rings. Everyone dies.
>
> Only the handful that are left aboard Installation 00 will be the survivors. And maybe they leave the galaxy just like the Iso-Didact did. That or they try to rebuild from scratch.
>
> Or in my opinion, the best way to allow the journey to end, no survivors. We fire the Rings and no one is around afterwards. No sentient life, that is.

They would never do that since you basicly lose. If they have Infinite has anything to do with rings I don’t think they will use them unless they find a way to kill only flood using it.

> 2535408299219519;12:
> > 2533274821734005;4:
> > Activate the Ark. Fire the Rings. Everyone dies.
> >
> > Only the handful that are left aboard Installation 00 will be the survivors. And maybe they leave the galaxy just like the Iso-Didact did. That or they try to rebuild from scratch.
> >
> > Or in my opinion, the best way to allow the journey to end, no survivors. We fire the Rings and no one is around afterwards. No sentient life, that is.
>
> They would never do that since you basicly lose. If they have Infinite has anything to do with rings I don’t think they will use them unless they find a way to kill only flood using it.

If you honestly think that there’ll be a happy peaceful ending or one in which we win, then you haven’t been paying attention. Halo is a very sad story. Nothing good will come of the entire series’ conclusion. If anything, we just may repeat history with what the Forerunners did.

If given the choice, do you think John would cleanse the Galaxy of life if there was no other alternative besides letting the Flood take over?

Do you think restarting the story back to the halo 3 ending would help? Because then 343 could try again maybe the story would make more sense if done right.

It was all a dream

It should end with the firing of the Halo rings.

> 2533274813118219;16:
> It should end with the firing of the Halo rings.

That would be depressing how about in a halo reach depressing but with hope.

> 2535411172875535;17:
> > 2533274813118219;16:
> > It should end with the firing of the Halo rings.
>
> That would be depressing how about in a halo reach depressing but with hope.

This story isn’t a happy story. It never was. History usually repeats itself. And I see humanity making the same decisions as the Forerunners.

> 2533274821734005;13:
> > 2535408299219519;12:
> > > 2533274821734005;4:
> > > Activate the Ark. Fire the Rings. Everyone dies.
> > >
> > > Only the handful that are left aboard Installation 00 will be the survivors. And maybe they leave the galaxy just like the Iso-Didact did. That or they try to rebuild from scratch.
> > >
> > > Or in my opinion, the best way to allow the journey to end, no survivors. We fire the Rings and no one is around afterwards. No sentient life, that is.
> >
> > They would never do that since you basicly lose. If they have Infinite has anything to do with rings I don’t think they will use them unless they find a way to kill only flood using it.
>
> If you honestly think that there’ll be a happy peaceful ending or one in which we win, then you haven’t been paying attention. Halo is a very sad story. Nothing good will come of the entire series’ conclusion. If anything, we just may repeat history with what the Forerunners did.
>
> If given the choice, do you think John would cleanse the Galaxy of life if there was no other alternative besides letting the Flood take over?

I think he would but even games like COD MW3 which ended up with one of the greatest video game characters of all time died you at least got your revenge and rid the world of a mad man. I think they could have people die that we know and love but have humanity have the victory in the end. They may even have Master Chief die when ever they end the Halo franchise which I don’t think will end with Halo Infinite but it is something 343 might do. And firing the rings will not destroy IA so unless they get that done even destroying the flood won’t matter.

Call of Duty.
Greatest video game characters of all time.

You can’t have these two things in the same sentence.