How do you guys like the sound?

Do you guys think that these gameplay vids boast nice sound? Or is it still too chirpy and blipy?

Sorry I couldn't get hyperlink to work.

The sound is a bit off to me…but that could just be the recording.

Sounds good to me. From the beta and this vid, I’d say there is alot more “PING!” and “NEEOW!” than any of the other Halos…
To 343i, any chance you can make a gun sound like God coughing is a chance worth taking.

I think the sound is awesome, halo 5 seems to have a great variety in sound affects and music based on the context of the situation.

It has a good variety, but I also feel that Halo Reach had the best sound design. I liked the heavy feel of the sound. I know its the future things shouldn’t sound that heavy but… still.

> 2533274811158328;5:
> It has a good variety, but I also feel that Halo Reach had the best sound design. I liked the heavy feel of the sound. I know its the future things shouldn’t sound that heavy but… still.

Totally.

> 2533274812935863;3:
> Sounds good to me. From the beta and this vid, I’d say there is alot more “PING!” and “NEEOW!” than any of the other Halos…
> To 343i, any chance you can make a gun sound like God coughing is a chance worth taking.

There are a lot of boings and pumps too…and that odd headshot sound effect is a bit too much for me.
Some of the effects sound hollow as well and I would like them to add a bit more “weight” to them. Like the Mantis, the Mantis needs a bit more weight to the sound, especially the chaingun. The Spartans also sound a bit light when walking on Metal floors.

> 2598282106454479;7:
> > 2533274812935863;3:
> > Sounds good to me. From the beta and this vid, I’d say there is alot more “PING!” and “NEEOW!” than any of the other Halos…
> > To 343i, any chance you can make a gun sound like God coughing is a chance worth taking.
>
>
> There are a lot of boings and pumps too…and that odd headshot sound effect is a bit too much for me.
> Some of the effects sound hollow as well and I would like them to add a bit more “weight” to them. Like the Mantis, the Mantis needs a bit more weight to the sound, especially the chaingun. The Spartans also sound a bit light when walking on Metal floors.

I’m afraid that’d be way too distracting. We’re talking Robocop footsteps compared to ED-209 footsteps.

Halo 4 has a lot of squeak in its sound effects, and I feel like Halo 5 is better, but there’s still too much squeak in the sounds. I watched multiple Warzone, and it’s basically 3-5 minutes of squeaky noises

> 2533274812935863;8:
> > 2598282106454479;7:
> > > 2533274812935863;3:
> > > Sounds good to me. From the beta and this vid, I’d say there is alot more “PING!” and “NEEOW!” than any of the other Halos…
> > > To 343i, any chance you can make a gun sound like God coughing is a chance worth taking.
> >
> >
> > There are a lot of boings and pumps too…and that odd headshot sound effect is a bit too much for me.
> > Some of the effects sound hollow as well and I would like them to add a bit more “weight” to them. Like the Mantis, the Mantis needs a bit more weight to the sound, especially the chaingun. The Spartans also sound a bit light when walking on Metal floors.
>
>
> I’m afraid that’d be way too distracting. We’re talking Robocop footsteps compared to ED-209 footsteps.

I already find it too distracting while watching. I would rather more weight then the needless pings, boings squeaks and wizzes and wurs.

Tomorrow I am going to start a poll so hopefully 343 will see that vast majority of the community is not pleased with the annoying amount of squeaky blips and chirps. Stop by the forums tomorrow if you want to cast a vote saying you do/don’t like the new sound design, or if you don’t care and it’s no big deal.

From what I’ve heard, it sounds great. I like the pings and blurps and stuff, and the weapons sound perfect. As I told a co-worker earlier today, each game has its own different style of sorts, and H5’s is really looking, and sounding, great to me.

LOVED the sound of the beta!
HATED the sound of Warzone!
They ruined the following:

1. Carbine sound
  2. SAW sound
  3. Needler sound
  4. Sword sound
    (made them all sound babyish).
  5. The lady on the Two-Way radio in Warzone sounds atrociously boring, doesn’t have a special voice, doesn’t show urgency to hype u up, just does nothing but sound disgustingly annoying.

> 2535436787936572;13:
> LOVED the sound of the beta!
> HATED the sound of Warzone!
> They ruined the following:
> 1. Carbine sound
> 2. SAW sound
> 3. Needler sound
> 4. Sword sound
> (made them all sound babyish).
> 5. The lady on the Two-Way radio in Warzone sounds atrociously boring, doesn’t have a special voice, doesn’t show urgency to hype u up, just does nothing but sound disgustingly annoying.

This.
Shielding at E3 sounded awful and extremely irritating, too.

Liked: Vehicle sounds. Engines, tire sounds, thrusters on the Ghost, impact sounds, chaingun, all sounded better. The Mantis has a much more fluid look to it, but still seems heavy. Some of the weapon sounds were nice and meaty as well, like the new Rocket’s sound (even if I hate its design).

Disliked: Some of the weapons sound awful. The Carbine stood out in particular with its unemphatic ‘Pew’ noise. The Phaeton Turret (or whatever that Forerunner thing was called) sounds exactly like it and certainly doesn’t befit what it appears to be, which is a giant single-shot laser.

Most of the human weapons I saw used were entirely unremarkable in sound profile and, while probably more realistic, it’s boring. Even the SAW just made a sort of pitiful mechanical purring noise and that’s a weapon that ought to be blindingly loud considering what it is. There ought to be some oomph. Every weapon should feel powerful when you pull the trigger, even if it isn’t. Instead, everything feels like it’s muffled.

Also, the ‘Pthunk’ sound you get when you score a headshot sits wrong with me. It’s entirely unncessary sound clutter that tells you nothing that looking at the Headshot medal you just got wouldn’t tell you.

I know these sounds may to some extent still be placeholder as we’re still four months and ten days out from Launch, but as it stands, those are my thoughts, for what they might matter. I also realize and have taken into account that these weren’t recorded with the greatest audio quality and it may be that there are bass layers to the audio that are entirely invisible in these recordings.

> 2533274827546373;15:
> Liked: Vehicle sounds. Engines, tire sounds, thrusters on the Ghost, impact sounds, chaingun, all sounded better. The Mantis has a much more fluid look to it, but still seems heavy. Some of the weapon sounds were nice and meaty as well, like the new Rocket’s sound (even if I hate its design).
>
> Disliked: Some of the weapons sound awful. The Carbine stood out in particular with its unemphatic ‘Pew’ noise. The Phaeton Turret (or whatever that Forerunner thing was called) sounds exactly like it and certainly doesn’t befit what it appears to be, which is a giant single-shot laser.
>
> Most of the human weapons I saw used were entirely unremarkable in sound profile and, while probably more realistic, it’s boring. Even the SAW just made a sort of pitiful mechanical purring noise and that’s a weapon that ought to be blindingly loud considering what it is. There ought to be some oomph. Every weapon should feel powerful when you pull the trigger, even if it isn’t. Instead, everything feels like it’s muffled.
>
> Also, the ‘Pthunk’ sound you get when you score a headshot sits wrong with me. It’s entirely unncessary sound clutter that tells you nothing that looking at the Headshot medal you just got wouldn’t tell you.
>
> I know these sounds may to some extent still be placeholder as we’re still four months and ten days out from Launch, but as it stands, those are my thoughts, for what they might matter. I also realize and have taken into account that these weren’t recorded with the greatest audio quality and it may be that there are bass layers to the audio that are entirely invisible in these recordings.

Agreed. Everything in the beta besides the energy sword and light-rifle sounded incredible to me. I don’t know, this sound designer we have can make some beefy sound effects (AR, melee), but alien weaponry doesn’t seem to be his strong suit.

It sounds hollow and tinny in the videos, however based on the fact that these same things mostly sounded better in the beta, I’m going to assume the same thing I found out about the recordings of Halo 4’s weapon sounds: That there’s entire layers of bass audio we can’t even hear in the recordings.

Sounds better than 4. Would’ve liked to hear where how the sniper sounds post beta.
I still don’t understand why the DMR has a beep for every time you pull the trigger.