How do you feel about sprint in Halo: Infinite?

I want to know how everyone feels about sprint as a mechanic in Halo: Infinite and I’ll give my thoughts on it as well.

To preface this - I have been playing Halo since Combat Evolved but I think this has ZERO weight on how important my opinion is – Just because you’ve played a series for longer doesn’t mean you’re more qualified to give an opinion on a game so feel free to share your thoughts below regardless of how long you’ve been playing Halo!

Sprint in Halo: Infinite is something I want to happen honestly.

While my memories of Halo 2 and 3 are great I think the multiplayer in Halo 4 and 5 is much more fun than the multiplayer from Halo 2 and 3.

Sprinting adds variety and risk to movement while incorporating the risk of positioning at the same time. - If you sprint too much or at the wrong time, your weapon is down which adds risk to moving quickly around corners as you won’t be able to raise your weapon in time to win the gunfight. If you don’t sprint you’re allowing yourself the ability to win gunfights while potentially sacrificing an advantageous position.

Without sprint in the game Halo remains the same stale game-play loop that it is in Halo 2 and 3 - Grenades. Grenades. Grenades.

I see a lot of people say that it “violates the game-play principal of Halo” which I just plainly disagree with. I think Bungie had a vision that was given up when they gave up on Halo and the torch passed to 343 and now the game-play principal of Halo is whatever 343 decides that it should be.

I agree. I want sprint to stay. I don’t want spartan charge or the spartan ground pound thing to make a return though. I liked using those mechanics, but when someone used it against me, it’s frustrating lol. The mechanic where you dash to the left or right by pressing B, I forgot what it’s called but, I like that. I want that and sprint to make it into Infinite.

I also have been playing since the days of CE, but absolutely agree that has nothing to do with the validity of my opinion. Sprint and enhanced mobility as a whole have caused massive division in this community, and it has not necessarily been directly related to old vs new players.

For me, sprint has done more harm than good for Halo. In the old days, big maps with vehicle combat were the most fun and felt the most like Halo to me. With sprint, using vehicles to get around more quickly just isn’t as important as it once was. Back then, getting a warthog or a ghost meant you had a speed advantage for big maps. With sprint, the advantage is still there, but it isn’t as potent.

For small maps, Sprint just makes them feel infinitely smaller because you can just sprint your way across a tiny map in seconds. From what I understand, old maps like Midship had to be redesigned to accommodate this new sprint mechanic, which to me felt like it ruined the essence of what those maps were meant to be.

I want the classic movement system to return, with increased base movement speed (like in DOOM). If I wanted to play games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, then I would just play those games instead. #Makehalogreatagain

I don’t want it to be an always available ability like it is in all of the 343 games. I would prefer if it was an armor ability that you could use but you would have to swap for another ability (say clamber). The whole give everyone all the abilities that H5 did and make sprint a standard ability was where 343 making a bigger mistake than Armor Lock.

> 2666640315087182;5:
> I don’t want it to be an always available ability like it is in all of the 343 games. I would prefer if it was an armor ability that you could use but you would have to swap for another ability (say clamber). The whole give everyone all the abilities that H5 did and make sprint a standard ability was where 343 making a bigger mistake than Armor Lock.

not to be contrary , or trolling , but there is no mistake greater than Armor Lock.

> 2533274847627340;6:
> > 2666640315087182;5:
> > I don’t want it to be an always available ability like it is in all of the 343 games. I would prefer if it was an armor ability that you could use but you would have to swap for another ability (say clamber). The whole give everyone all the abilities that H5 did and make sprint a standard ability was where 343 making a bigger mistake than Armor Lock.
>
> not to be contrary , or trolling , but there is no mistake greater than Armor Lock.

at least you couldn’t sprint with it.

> 2666640315087182;7:
> > 2533274847627340;6:
> > > 2666640315087182;5:
> > > I don’t want it to be an always available ability like it is in all of the 343 games. I would prefer if it was an armor ability that you could use but you would have to swap for another ability (say clamber). The whole give everyone all the abilities that H5 did and make sprint a standard ability was where 343 making a bigger mistake than Armor Lock.
> >
> > not to be contrary , or trolling , but there is no mistake greater than Armor Lock.
>
> at least you couldn’t sprint with it.

HAH! Agreed.

I like the direction Halo 5 went with multiplayer. I hope Infinite takes it a step further.

If we want a classic experience, we can always go play the old games in MCC.
Or even have playlists in Infinite that have game rules that create classic-like gameplay.

> 2533274829004517;1:
> Without sprint in the game Halo remains the same stale game-play loop that it is in Halo 2 and 3 - Grenades. Grenades. Grenades.

Something I don’t recall.

Even then, how are you so sure it would revert back to that?

> 2533274805751874;9:
> I like the direction Halo 5 went with multiplayer. I hope Infinite takes it a step further.
>
> If we want a classic experience, we can always go play the old games in MCC.
> Or even have playlists in Infinite that have game rules that create classic-like gameplay.

Just as you want Halo Infinite to take further steps based on Halo 5, I want Halo Infinite to take further steps based on the original trilogy.
Going back to old games isn’t going to satisfy that wish.

Of course I’d like to have it gone. I like “fast pacing” too - this is why I don’t want this animation to return. As someone who regulary plays games without sprint, I think it’s hilarious how people think that it speeds up the game.

I mean, by no means I’m a gaming expert, but just diving more than 4 seconds into this topic will make you question: “Hmm, does the pace really depend on me shaking my arms from left to right?”
If Guardians wouldn’t have had sprint, but started with…let’s say 180% BMS - people still would’ve complained that the game is too slow - even though you would’ve been way faster. You can’t just automatically assume that your games will be faster because of a second BMS where you are forced to let your weapons down. You have to consider all the negative aspects of sprint too (in regards to the “pacing” if you want to make a conclusion). You can’t shoot at top speed, you can’t reload at top speed, you have a very limited FOV at top speed, you can’t recover at top speed (shoot & retreat in MP & fighting style against the flood & brutes), your shields won’t even recharge at top speed. And for some weird reason you’ll show up on the radar at max BMS in Guardians, which doesn’t make much sense, but whatever.

So, all these things are frustrating in my opinion. I don’t like this run OR gun gameplay-style. I don’t want my shooting and movement part beeing seperated. I like a much more sandbox focussed gameplay. Does it mean that I’m oldschool and against innovations? No - and this is why most of you people don’t get. (Just reading comments like “evey modern FPS has to have it” or “if you don’t like sprint play mcc” over and over again sadly proves this. The only difference between us is that we prefer another gameplay style.

I am all for sprint in Halo Infinite and I would NOT understand why 343i would remove the ability now when all of their games excluding H2A have had it…

Lets run, gun, -Yoink!-, and chase grunts till our hearts are full of confetti.

> 2533274856626311;12:
> I am all for sprint in Halo Infinite and I would NOT understand why 343i would remove the ability now when all of their games excluding H2A have had it.

Like, Bungie did with dual Wielding?
Or, many of the other mechanics which have been present once or twice in the installments but got cut later on?

If I could choose o would say I don’t want it to return though it’s not a huge deal for me if it does.

I would prefer that the sprint would be dropped. Firstly the gameplay is much faster without the excess animation of few loops of waving arms side to side, instead constant fast paced speed with ability to perform multiple actions simultaneously would be more of a supersoldier thing.
Without sprint, the vehicles could also have more value to them as an alternative way to change speed & gameplay with much more interesting twists and variations to it.

As to sprint having a risk to it, I dont really see it having that much of an impact as the crouching/normal speed given Halo has the motion scanner in the corner & anyone can see if someone is moving at full speed (with or without the animation) and react to it accordingly in time. So I dont see sprint adding anything in this case either when compared to static full speed and more discreet crouching/moving slowly.

And I have not much to say about what you feel is “stale” from gameplay perspective, what is “stale” is pretty much interpreted by the viewers themselves & that varies. The grenade part could be specified given I haven’t had issue with grenades before, they are not infinite & more useful when opponent places themselves in a situation where they cant escape a thrown object by perhaps cornering themselves or lured to confined space by power weapons allure as examples. An extra animation doesn’t change anything, it’s more about mathematical things like the speed of the character (no need for extra step, so to speak), blast radius of the grenade and so on. If the grenades are an issue in the testing then even their numbers could be limited.
No option to dispatch opponents is an issue if the game is balanced right, at least after the player gets used to the mechanics of the individual product.

We have numerous threads on this topic already.

While it truly makes no difference to me I kinda hope it’s there. I don’t mind it that much. All Sprint is to me is a tactical decision between being able to shoot or getting to a location faster. But H5 has showed us they can offer playlist with and without it so I don’t get why some act as if we can’t have it both ways, why are some so set on it has to be one way or the other?

I’d like Sprint, Slide and Clamber to return, as well as some Smart Scope weapons. Weapons like the BR, DMR, Sniper, Rocket Launchers, Beam rifle, Light Rifle, etc. They all have thier normal zoom functions returning, tweak them graphically, maybe vary thier zoom distances to fit thier respective rolls.
But weapons like the Pistol, SMG, AR, Shotgun, Plasma Rifle, etc, have thier ADS changed a little. I like the holographic overlay with the slight zoom, I think it definitely adds a sense of advanced, sci-fi presence, but dont make it like every single other game where it’s just aiming down the sights. I like the idea of the Smart Scope with the pistol to look more like John Wick’s C.A.R.- Center Axis Relock- stance. Or as with alot of modern firearms iron sights, they’re canted at 45 degrees from the top of the bore, so you have to rotate the weapon over to use the iron sights. Here youd have that augmented display but it shows more of the side of the ride, rather than the top- just a visual change would give it more of a slick, and functional change.
The AR lacks a rail system, unless the cover is removed, so aiming over the top of the weapon, with its bore axis so low, is somewhat contradictory. Having your ADS closer to the barrel height, would make more sens, and for the sake of realism/militaristic, it’s not far fetched at all.

I’m divided on my opinion but me and my cousins have discovered the beauty of system linking our 360s for Halo 3 and that gameplay is so fun. I then play Halo 5 and its a completely different experience. Not bad but different. After hours on MCC then jumping into Halo 5 there’s something different about it. Less like a Halo game. I know 4 had sprint but I’ve barely played 4 recently but I’d say the same applies.
I personally would like it gone I think. Maybe as an armour ability. But I want Halo 3 one time use equipments over armour abilities so I dunno. But if they take away sprint they have to have way more hand made maps and not the impressive but catroony looking forge maps.

I mean we have a huge thread about movement abilities and an even bigger thread about Sprint on the Halo 5 forums