How do UNSC ships get around the Cold Welding problem?

As you know if two pieces of non-coated metal touch in space, they become permanently stuck together, this process is called Cold Welding. Now my question how do UNSC ships get around this? It seems like this would become quite a problem. I don’t think Spartans would be of much use if they got stuck to UNSC ships like flies on fly paper.

Of course the inside of the ship I can understand due to heating, air and various other conditions however I am talking about the outside of the ships.

And as for Spartans you can’t claim its the Energy Shielding because then how did it not happen with Mark IV?

Magic!

its probably coated with somthing.

My guess is that it’s somehow the opposite of the space shuttle. The thruster nozzles of the solid rocket boosters and the orbiter have extremely cold liquid hydrogen and oxygen piped round the nozzles (before being sent to the engines) which keeps the nozzles from melting so I would imagine it is just the opposite.

Or another idea, it might be like heated seats like you get in cars, etc. Electrical circuits/ electrical heating elements which transfer heat into the seat.

Don’t take this as gospel as I have wrote off the top of my head and may be wrong about the way the shuttle works.

Mechanical problems in early satellites were sometimes attributed to cold welding. However, in 2006, Henry Spencer stated that the phenomenon of spontaneous cold welding in outer space is “basically a myth”, pointing out that “there are no documented cases of it actually occurring in orbit, except in experiments deliberately designed to provoke it (with susceptible materials, great care to avoid contamination, and deliberate mechanical removal of oxide layers, etc.).”[3]

from wikipedia

> Mechanical problems in early satellites were sometimes attributed to cold welding. However, in 2006, Henry Spencer stated that the phenomenon of spontaneous cold welding in outer space is “basically a myth”, pointing out that “there are no documented cases of it actually occurring in orbit, except in experiments deliberately designed to provoke it (with susceptible materials, great care to avoid contamination, and deliberate mechanical removal of oxide layers, etc.).”[3]
>
> from wikipedia

If you would have gone on to continue reading you would have seen that studies have proven that yes it does exist and it is a problem.

> > Mechanical problems in early satellites were sometimes attributed to cold welding. However, in 2006, Henry Spencer stated that the phenomenon of spontaneous cold welding in outer space is “basically a myth”, pointing out that “there are no documented cases of it actually occurring in orbit, except in experiments deliberately designed to provoke it (with susceptible materials, great care to avoid contamination, and deliberate mechanical removal of oxide layers, etc.).”[3]
> >
> > from wikipedia
>
> If you would have gone on to continue reading you would have seen that studies have proven that yes it does exist and it is a problem.

While that may be true, by time the 26th century comes around, I would think that there is a guaranteed process to get around or prevent cold welding from happening.

Its possible that the UNSC have coated their hulls with a thin layer of something that does not sucumb to cold welding. Its the easiest explanation and the most probable as most others require in depth explanations and can seem a bit far fetched. You also have to remember that the games and books are aimed at fans of the story and universe but dont have such an in depth knowledge of science in space etc. I for example had no idea what cold welding was and in fact this thread was the first time I ever encountered it.