How do i rank well in playlists?

I have played quite a bit of ranked playlists, and am confused by the ranking. In FFA i have won 1 out of 10 games with a k.d. just above 1, and i was put in platinum 1. In slayer I have won 70% of my games, with a 1.8 k.d. and was put in gold 5. in team arena i am 50/50 in wins, but have a 2.25 k.d., and was put in gold 4. Please help me, am i supposed to just play more?

Typically, current seasons’ playlist ranks are determined by where you placed in previous seasons, the competition you face in your placement matches, and wins (and losses). Your K/D doesn’t factor into anything. If you ended a season in a playlist (Slayer, for example) as a Plat 5, you’ll mostly be facing Plats with some Golds and Diamonds mixed in in placement matches for the next season. Assuming you play decently enough, you’ll likely stay a Plat. And this is an individual thing for each playlist. Just because you ranked Plat in one playlist after placement matches does not mean you’ll rank Plat in other playlists.

If you want to start a season with a higher rank in a playlist, you gotta work your way up and prove to the system that you should be ranked higher. Winning more games helps.

It’s a lot of who you play against. If I loose every match but play against high onyx it’ll rank me diamond to low onyx. If I stomp platinums but I only play them it’ll rank my diamond to high diamond
also just an fyi for ffa top 3 get ranked up

well. your highest is plat 2, so not to be mean, but the highest rank you’ll probably get solo is probably plat 2-4… so try playing with some higher ranking players.

Understanding placement and ranks requires a PhD in statistics and decades of life experience in black magic and the occult. Stop thinking about it and just try to have fun.

You shouldn’t base your rankings on other playlists. They use your previous rank in the playlist as a basis of where you’ll start the new season and it also depends on who you play against. You’re not going to get onyx by beating a bunch of silvers as one example.

The new FFA MMR was also reset so it’s a clean slate on where you’ll place.

> 2535462450434439;3:
> It’s a lot of who you play against. If I loose every match but play against high onyx it’ll rank me diamond to low onyx. If I stomp platinums but I only play them it’ll rank my diamond to high diamond
> also just an fyi for ffa top 3 get ranked up

Exactly, the opponents are the biggest factor by far.
Look at the FFA HCSWC playlist: many people end up ranking diamond, despite getting platinum in regular FFA for many seasons in a row…
You would think that the HCS FFA should be harder, but the thing is that it attracts very dedicated competition, who inflate the ranks by playing insane amounts.
1 lucky win against a 2500 CSR player is going to do more for someone’s placement matches than 5 wins over 1500 CSR… and a loss against a 2500 CSR will do nothing for most people, whereas losing 5x to 1500 CSR will be what keeps people out of Onyx.

> 2727626560040591;6:
> You shouldn’t base your rankings on other playlists. They use your previous rank in the playlist as a basis of where you’ll start the new season and it also depends on who you play against. You’re not going to get onyx by beating a bunch of silvers as one example.
>
> The new FFA MMR was also reset so it’s a clean slate on where you’ll place.

Oh, I totally missed that he was comparing previous vs. new ranks. Yeah, that’s going to completely throw everything off as well.

> 2533274873843883;5:
> Understanding placement and ranks requires a PhD in statistics and decades of life experience in black magic and the occult. Stop thinking about it and just try to have fun.

I’ve found that reading the developer posts have been able to explain pretty much every weird placing I’ve seen…
The problem is that the info is kind of scattered about and difficult to find… as with all information about H5 tbh.
The website is designed like a University website: all the information you already knew from common sense, and none of the information that actually matters :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274834881503;7:
> > 2535462450434439;3:
> >
>
>
>
> > 2727626560040591;6:
> >
>
>
>
> > 2533274873843883;5:
> > Understanding placement and ranks requires a PhD in statistics and decades of life experience in black magic and the occult. Stop thinking about it and just try to have fun.
>
> I’ve found that reading the developer posts have been able to explain pretty much every weird placing I’ve seen…
> The problem is that the info is kind of scattered about and difficult to find… as with all information about H5 tbh.
> The website is designed like a University website: all the information you already knew from common sense, and none of the information that actually matters :stuck_out_tongue:

That information is both scattered and opaque. They tell you just enough to give you a basic understanding of their intentions, but deliberately leave out a lot of detail (on the correct presumption that the more you tell people about the inner workings of the system then the more people will use that information to manipulate the system and subvert its true purpose). But all that aside, I would still encourage anyone who plays this game to ignore rankings, and not just because they’re ultimately incomprehensible, but because they all too easily become a source of obsession for a lot of players, and if you’re going to obsess about something then it may as well be about something that is a) knowable b) fun c) something you can actually do something about and d) meaningful. In my experience ranks are none of those things. I’m sure they must be for some people, but I don’t get how or why and I never will.

the bad thing is when you get placed with people that try to for instance shoot the stuff outside the ship etc and your team looses causing you to loose a level no matter if you killed 20 people without dying the whole game. Or the person goes afk and you end up playing 3 vs 4. if someone quits should be a reset like hcs and quitter should have stiff consequences. ive lost lots of ranks due to this and it doesnt reflect how i play at all.

So playing the ranked playlists in halo 5 do you get any season rewards based on your standing? Like if I’m platinum will I get some cool armor or something that gold would not get? Are there even any season rewards you get after the season is over?

> 2533274820039030;10:
> So playing the ranked playlists in halo 5 do you get any season rewards based on your standing? Like if I’m platinum will I get some cool armor or something that gold would not get? Are there even any season rewards you get after the season is over?

No, everyone just gets a seasonal REQ pack for finishing your placement matches no matter where you stand in the rankings. We used to get a season emblem in the REQ pack, but they stopped doing that awhile ago.

Honestly the rankings are so confusing, one of the games everybody on the whole team left and I was alone I of course lost the game as well as a rank

> 2535432635144346;12:
> Honestly the rankings are so confusing, one of the games everybody on the whole team left and I was alone I of course lost the game as well as a rank

When you lose a game, your rank will go down. This will happen regardless of what your team does. That’s not confusing; that’s how it has always worked.

Win a lotta games, get a lotta kills per minute (KPM), and not a lotta deaths per minute (DPM).

CSR is driven by MMR, and MMR is primarily driven by KPM and DPM.

> 2533274873843883;5:
> Understanding placement and ranks requires a PhD in statistics and decades of life experience in black magic and the occult. Stop thinking about it and just try to have fun.

This made me laugh a bit too hard. LOL! I agree, stop thinking about it and just have fun. You’ll drive yourself nuts trying to figure things out

> 2533274795938680;13:
> > 2535432635144346;12:
> > Honestly the rankings are so confusing, one of the games everybody on the whole team left and I was alone I of course lost the game as well as a rank
>
> When you lose a game, your rank will go down. This will happen regardless of what your team does. That’s not confusing; that’s how it has always worked.

When I said confusing I meant annoying, its incredibly annoying when you team quits on you, and usually its at the beginning because they died a few times. Its stupid

Just play ffa in custom games most of the time they are diamond-onyx players and it really helps you improve. In ffa all you have to do is get top 3 every time and you rank up so in ffa yes your rank depends on time spent playing. It really isn’t hard to earn top 3. Slayer on the other hand, your working with teammates. I recommend finding three other players to play slayer with who are plat 1-6 and you should get better.