How do I play against players in my own area?

I’ve tried changing the settings, but in multiplayer is still matches me up against other people not even in my country, which causes lag. What setting do I use to match up with only players in my region that aren’t 1500+ miles away? I’m located in the USA.

The general population is too low now so “PREFER GOOD CONNECTION” does not work that well. Try searching in the more populated playlists like Team Slayer, Living dead and Swat for a better chance but dont hold your breath.

Turn on “Good Connection”. I never leave it off and I’m always playing locally.

> Turn on “Good Connection”. I never leave it off and I’m always playing locally.

Pretty much this. Also, find friends that are live as near to you as possible and play in a party. You will almost always be playing players in your own country.

I’ve used that setting and I still get matched up against other players not in the USA when playing team snipers. I tested my connection and its 3mb up/10mb down. I could understand maybe the happening once out of 10 games, but it’s EVERY game that I get matched up. If its not lagging for me, then I know it’s lagging for them. If it lags for me, then it’s perfectly fine for them. Why is it even a possibility in the programming to ever encounter this situation in the first place? Xbox live should look at your IP and only match you up against other IP addresses that are nearby, period. Seem like a flaw in the design of the online programming.

Also who’s idea was it to have only a few maps to select from and vote on? It was MUCH better back in the day when you could select the map and game-type you wanted to play and play it against others who like the same map. The way it is now forces people to quit out or not try when the map they want isn’t shown or a map that they don’t like to play. Let people host their own games and show the ping on their rooms like every other decent online game so that others can join the room and have the best gaming experience possible. What was the response from Bungie on Reach and 343i on halo 4 when asked why it wasn’t setup this way? Sure I can choose which maps to play with friends, but I want to be able to have this option with random players also. It gets boring scoring 20+ each game in the hardest game type (no radar in snipers, 1 headshot you are dead) in maps that I’m not even interested in playing. Apparently the requests to have this put into halo 4 were never honored just like the request to make Halo Anny exactly like halo 1 and playable online was never honored.

I think ‘Good Connection’ sets you to your local region (rather than country).

So in Australia I think I am in the Asia Pacific region, so I get matched with players from New Zealand and even Japan (over 5,000 miles away).

Improves matters in Team Slayer, but in BTB cannot get a game with ‘Good Connection’ selected.

It’s almost as if I need to request an appointment with O’connor himself to get any point across. Maybe he’d
be willing to sit down with me so that whatever COD is out at the time of halo Xbox one doesn’t sell 5x more copies and have 10x more players after 1 month from release date like halo 4 did… Does this guy even consult with Alex Seropian on how to make halo a good game? If not, he probably should…

> The general population is too low now so “PREFER GOOD CONNECTION” does not work that well. Try searching in the more populated playlists like Team Slayer, Living dead and Swat for a better chance but dont hold your breath.

This^^

Also incase you didn’t know it OP region matching is based on the Locale settings on your Xbox.

oO WARGOD oO I’ve used that setting and I still get matched up against other players not in the USA when playing team snipers. I tested my connection and its 3mb up/10mb down. I could understand maybe the happening once out of 10 games, but it’s EVERY game that I get matched up. If its not lagging for me, then I know it’s lagging for them. If it lags for me, then it’s perfectly fine for them. Why is it even a possibility in the programming to ever encounter this situation in the first place? Xbox live should look at your IP and only match you up against other IP addresses that are nearby, period. Seem like a flaw in the design of the online programming.

Also who’s idea was it to have only a few maps to select from and vote on?

because of low population on some maps (example: some maps may of only had 20 on it per night) 343 reduced number of maps , so that most popular maps had good population for players to find games on.

It was MUCH better back in the day when you could select the map and game-type you wanted to play and play it against others who like the same map. The way it is now forces people to quit out or not try when the map they want isn’t shown or a map that they don’t like to play. Let people host their own games and show the ping on their rooms like every other decent online game so that others can join the room and have the best gaming experience possible. What was the response from Bungie on Reach and 343i on halo 4 when asked why it wasn’t setup this way?

not sure on this , but beleive that 343 had the reins at this point and that Bungie just provided the maps and such to finish out their contract.

Sure I can choose which maps to play with friends, but I want to be able to have this option with random players also. It gets boring scoring 20+ each game in the hardest game type (no radar in snipers, 1 headshot you are dead) in maps that I’m not even interested in playing. Apparently the requests to have this put into halo 4 were never honored just like the request to make Halo Anny exactly like halo 1 and playable online was never honored.