How do I improve my skills at halo reach?

How do I go from trying to hit someone with a headshot (Which takes one second), to being able to headshot anyone with no virtual delay (The time it takes to aim for the head)? That is one skill I would like to improve but I am doubtful anyone here would offer any good advice (But I am taking a chance that someone might).

Practice, practice, and practice some more. Firefight can provide lots of practice. Skirmishers are hard to hit, but the DMR usually winds up being the best weapon to use against them - all head shots. Use the pistol for short range head shots and the DMR for medium-long range.

As LateMinotaur051 says above practise is important and FF is great for practise. Skirmageddon is good because they move quick unlike Gruntpocalypse. Score Attack or 2 x score attack will give you more Spartan sized opponents with brutes and elites. You will find all of these in the Score Attack playlist so you can practise without being hassled by other players. Corvette, Courtyard and Holdout are good because they both have some good choke points to work from.

But one thing you need to find that works for you is the correct controller sensitivity. Default on 3 is good for some but not others. If you go to a high setting then panning becomes so fast it is harder to stop on an opponents head to line up that instantaneous headshot. A lower seetting makes stoping on a players head easier when panning but can effect how fast you can respond to fire from others. You need to find what suits you best.

Then last when you go into matchmaking you need to practise timing your DMR shots to allow for Bloom. You can start practising that timing in FF.

Thank you for the advice.

I’ve had to start all over again, so bare with me. I can provide advice still.

A good area to practice is Close Quarters Combat. Firefight is good for practicing assassinations as well.

> Practice, practice, and practice some more. Firefight can provide lots of practice. Skirmishers are hard to hit, but the DMR usually winds up being the best weapon to use against them - all head shots. Use the pistol for short range head shots and the DMR for medium-long range.

Indeed but you should also keep in mind that those you play with have also had a considerable amount of practice. Once you become proficient there’s still going to be the hill to climb of just who has had the most grinding time. There is however an easy work around:

Play other games too.

I know you might take this, OP, as me saying “well just don’t play Halo!” but I do sincerely mean it as a way to get better at Reach, or just about any other game. Halo has a very particular balance and a very particular emphasis on certain gameplay mechanics. Learning those is important, but those less frequently used parts of the game (Ex. highly mobile CQC combat) are none-the-less still part of it. Your practice might not allow you to spend sufficient time with those elements for you to exploit them. If you play a few other games in addition to Reach, which have different balances, and a different emphasis on gameplay elements, then you’ll be working on those skills which other players in Halo generally don’t pick up which can provide you with a considerable edge when dealing with those off-key fights, especially.

It doesn’t matter what else you play (though I can personally recommend Section 8 Prejudice as a good supplemental training course) it just matters that you broaden your skillset.

I’ve always used Firefight, not because it’s easier or anything but it simply helps your aim. You should try playing the Skirmisher gametype because they’re always moving and adapting like real player so to score a headshot on them may be easy but it helps your hand-eye co-ordination a whole lot.

As someone with a lot less MM experience than some here, I’m finding SWAT and Snipers to be more fun of late (mostly custom games with full teams in H4). I go mostly positive now, where I used to go badly negative against a mixed skill group.

Getting good hand-eye coordination and muscle memory come from practice - that’s why you should spend a good deal of time in firefight.

Improving in SWAT and Sniper games requires an additional skill set - that of peek shooting. Never just walk around a corner or over a hill without first quickly peeking, pulling back, then move forward if it’s clear. Always keep your aiming reticle at head level and with your finger on the trigger. With practice, shooting becomes more instinctive. I’m still learning too. I have headshot commendations in Reach FF and campaign both onyx max.

Try to get games with skill-matched opponents. There are some awesome headshots out there. Stay away from them for a while.

SWAT and Snipers are both good, as they force you to basically either land the headshot or die. I like the firefight-skirmishers idea, though I haven’t tried it. I found that playing a mix of H3, H4, and Reach helped improve my sniping, as they have varying degrees of sniping difficulty with H3 being the hardest and H4 the easiest, at least for me).
Also, try MLG. I’ve been playing it a lot lately, and it really forces you to play your absolute best in every area of your game. The no bloom setting might help you focus on the headshots, too.

Try lowering your sensitivity. Helps you steady your aim for the headshot. I used to play on 10, now I play on 1-3. Not saying you have to take it to that extreme, but try lowering it by a notch or two.