How do i GET 343i's attention about this halo 3 machinima?

Maybe the collective intelligence is more resourceful than lil’ ole’ me. Someone near and dear to me (but not me) just completed a 23-minute Halo 3 machinima film called “HALO: Eye of the Storm” and let it loose into cyberspace on November 7th. It’s a remarkable technical and creative achievement, and really, someone at 343i should want to know about it. Yes, I made a post in Community Creations over two weeks ago. I also PM’ed bs angel a few days ago, but didn’t get a response. Not sure if my message wasn’t read or if the film was thought unworthy of notice. Or it could just be that things are hopping around here with the release of Anniversary. Not sure whom to contact or how to go about reaching out to 343i. Anyone out there who can share any experiences or ideas??

The movie got a great mention by the incomparable Claude Errara aka Louis Wu on HBO, and just got featured here on GameInformer.com today.

Here are some more fun film facts.

• HALO: Eye of the Storm took just under two years to complete.
    (The creator’s estimate at project’s outset was four months.)

• Each 1-3 second shot took on average 5 hours to capture.

• The first 2-minute scene is made up of 55 shots. That means it took approximately 275 hours to capture.

• HALO: Eye of the Storm is the only Halo machinima of its scope to ever be completed entirely in Campaign mode.
    (Because there’s no rewind in Halo 3 Saved Films!!)

• It was done by one dude working alone (not counting voice actors and titles).

I think it’s worth a notice. What do you think?

You can check out a two-minute trailer here, and the full fim here. Would love to hear thoughts, feedback, suggestions on how to get 343i to take a look at this labor of love.

The trailer breaks a few of the Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules.” In game sounds are not owned by Bungie or Microsoft and cannot be redistributed through the means of Machinima without copyright infringement on the third party companies that provided many of the sound effects for Halo 3.

Edit: I realize my response was a little rude, and would like to apologize. I am leaving the copyright information up for the user’s benefit.

From a Fellow Machinima Director.

King Sangos

(Director of Wings of Equilibria)

I saw this Machinima a while back and I thought it was quite impressive. Halo 3 Campaign Camera Work is certainly hard if you record it in Theater. You can also film it using the Blind Skull like the Halo 2 Filming Technique. So the Machinima is filmed nicely… So what’s the problem?

What are the audiences getting out of this?

Eye of the Storm to put it bluntly is the Halo: The Flood of the Halo 3 Mission “The Storm”. Most of the Halo Audiences already know the story. The biggest thing about Halo Machinima is the story. It can be seen as almost pointless in a way if all the audiences are doing is watching and going through the Halo 3 Mission in a cinematic viewpoint.

A Halo Machinima usually needs to have a compelling story or a compelling cast of characters for it to be accepted by the masses. Should popularity and renown be your aim for creating the Machinima. I highly doubt that attaining publicity from all known Halo Sources is really a good motive. Where is the motive for just doing it because you liked it.

Wings of Equilibria is a locally favourited Halo Machinima. It has a slow and steadily growing fanbase but I don’t let the views and subscribers get to me. I make my own story. The people that follow the story are the ones who should gain the benefits.

Don’t try to force feed a Machinima just because you believe it is getting enough attention. That’s just greed talking.

Thanks, Kyria. That’s new information to me. A lawyer did look at the Game Content Usage rules before the movie went live. The weapons/vehicle sound clips were easily findable on the web, and have been posted for a couple of years, so the assumption was that it was ok to use them. Just curious–how do you know that?? Are you a machinima director?

Thanks, King Sangos, for checking out Halo:EotS. I thought your Wings of Equilibria was really cool, with an impressively elaborate story. So I’m especially sorry you found Phil’s cinematic interpretation of Halo 3’s The Storm level “pointless.” Phil is a freelance film editor, director, and 3D artist ,and he created a machinima that based on those interests and strengths; namely, to create a film with dynamic visuals and kinetic drive. I think he succeeded on that front, but you’re entitled to your entirely fair opinion.

As far as the “greed talking,” I think it’s only natural to want people to watch your movie that you’ve poured your heart and soul into. On a personal note, Phil is supporting a wife and kid, and would love to garner the notice of someone who might actually be able to pay him for his skills. A guy who can put together a 22 minute cinematic like Halo EotS has the technical ability (Final Cut Pro, AfterEffects, Premiere), training (a film degree), patience, talent, and gaming knowledge (20+ years as a gamer) to, say, construct cutscenes for any video game.

As someone who was addicted to Halo for many years, Phil’s movie made me want to pick up a controller and play. I think that’s a good thing. I don’t think the story or dialogue of Halo EotS were the best out there, but he’s not really a screenwriter, and I think he demonstrated his visual talents. There are some kick–Yoink- moments in the movie that stick with me.

Anyway, thanks again for at least checking out Halo: EotS, and for your candid feedback.

> From a Fellow Machinima Director.
>
> King Sangos
>
> (Director of Wings of Equilibria)
>
> I saw this Machinima a while back and I thought it was quite impressive. Halo 3 Campaign Camera Work is certainly hard if you record it in Theater. You can also film it using the Blind Skull like the Halo 2 Filming Technique. So the Machinima is filmed nicely… So what’s the problem?
>
> What are the audiences getting out of this?
>
> Eye of the Storm to put it bluntly is the Halo: The Flood of the Halo 3 Mission “The Storm”. Most of the Halo Audiences already know the story. The biggest thing about Halo Machinima is the story. It can be seen as almost pointless in a way if all the audiences are doing is watching and going through the Halo 3 Mission in a cinematic viewpoint.
>
> A Halo Machinima usually needs to have a compelling story or a compelling cast of characters for it to be accepted by the masses. Should popularity and renown be your aim for creating the Machinima. I highly doubt that attaining publicity from all known Halo Sources is really a good motive. Where is the motive for just doing it because you liked it.
>
> Wings of Equilibria is a locally favourited Halo Machinima. It has a slow and steadily growing fanbase but I don’t let the views and subscribers get to me. I make my own story. The people that follow the story are the ones who should gain the benefits.
>
> Don’t try to force feed a Machinima just because you believe it is getting enough attention. That’s just greed talking.

> Thanks, King Sangos, for checking out Halo:EotS. I thought your Wings of Equilibria was really cool, with an impressively elaborate story. So I’m especially sorry you found Phil’s cinematic interpretation of Halo 3’s The Storm level “pointless.” Phil is a freelance film editor, director, and 3D artist ,and he created a machinima that based on those interests and strengths; namely, to create a film with dynamic visuals and kinetic drive. I think he succeeded on that front, but you’re entitled to your entirely fair opinion.
>
> As far as the “greed talking,” I think it’s only natural to want people to watch your movie that you’ve poured your heart and soul into. On a personal note, Phil is supporting a wife and kid, and would love to garner the notice of someone who might actually be able to pay him for his skills. A guy who can put together a 22 minute cinematic like Halo EotS has the technical ability (Final Cut Pro, AfterEffects, Premiere), training (a film degree), patience, talent, and gaming knowledge (20+ years as a gamer) to, say, construct cutscenes for any video game.
>
> As someone who was addicted to Halo for many years, Phil’s movie made me want to pick up a controller and play. I think that’s a good thing. I don’t think the story or dialogue of Halo EotS were the best out there, but he’s not really a screenwriter, and I think he demonstrated his visual talents. There are some kick–Yoink!- moments in the movie that stick with me.
>
> Anyway, thanks again for at least checking out Halo: EotS, and for your candid feedback.
>
>
>
>
> > From a Fellow Machinima Director.
> >
> > King Sangos
> >
> > (Director of Wings of Equilibria)
> >
> > I saw this Machinima a while back and I thought it was quite impressive. Halo 3 Campaign Camera Work is certainly hard if you record it in Theater. You can also film it using the Blind Skull like the Halo 2 Filming Technique. So the Machinima is filmed nicely… So what’s the problem?
> >
> > What are the audiences getting out of this?
> >
> > Eye of the Storm to put it bluntly is the Halo: The Flood of the Halo 3 Mission “The Storm”. Most of the Halo Audiences already know the story. The biggest thing about Halo Machinima is the story. It can be seen as almost pointless in a way if all the audiences are doing is watching and going through the Halo 3 Mission in a cinematic viewpoint.
> >
> > A Halo Machinima usually needs to have a compelling story or a compelling cast of characters for it to be accepted by the masses. Should popularity and renown be your aim for creating the Machinima. I highly doubt that attaining publicity from all known Halo Sources is really a good motive. Where is the motive for just doing it because you liked it.
> >
> > Wings of Equilibria is a locally favourited Halo Machinima. It has a slow and steadily growing fanbase but I don’t let the views and subscribers get to me. I make my own story. The people that follow the story are the ones who should gain the benefits.
> >
> > Don’t try to force feed a Machinima just because you believe it is getting enough attention. That’s just greed talking.

Its nice to see that you care very much for him and you are willing to support him to the end. The fact that you want to help him succeed is also a nice thing as well. I must however address some things.

1.) The reason why I say the Machinima is pointless is because by watching this, the audience gains no real benefit in terms of immersion and excitement. The only thing that would please the audiences in this video would be the action and the cinematic approach but that’s not really the audience you want to be targeting. The problem is however, anyone as the viewer can relive this experience simply by going on the Halo 3 Campaign and repeating the level over and over again.

2.) I’ve poured my Heart and Soul into Wings of Equilibria. I’m a University Student and I spend my precious to creating the stories that the series upholds. I am an amateur when it comes to expertally-crafted effects and advanced visual effects. I do not however try to advertise and put peer-pressure onto my audiences into watching the series. I want people to interpret my series in any way the wish. I have grown a dislike for anyone who uses the work in order to advertise theirselves as such as it is to me, a sign of inconsideration for the audiences.

3.) No problem about the Constructive Criticism. Please bare in mind in future however to try and excuse the reasons for the flaws. Its not really worth the effort and no matter what anyone says, the errors will always still be there. That’s the fact.