How did humanity terraform Mars?

Mars has no magnetic field to deflect the solar winds and radiation from space. This is currently one of the greatest challenges to the concept of terraforming we face today in the real world. How did humanity solve this issue? It was already terraformed before the Interplanetary War of the 22nd century.

That’s actually a good question, a lot of worlds seemed to have been impossible to colonize, but we still managed to terraform them anyways, also I think by the 22nd century, we’ve managed to make some sort of shielding against that sort of radiation in general and like Luna, the cities are all in domes

This should help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars

It’s Sci-fi. Not everything is always going to be science fact.

> 2533274803137071;3:
> This should help
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars

Someone didn’t even read the OP.

I’m not 100% up to speed on how Mars is presented in the Halo-verse. Is it in a Dome? If so then localized shielding is probably sufficient. If not, then I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s genetic engineering that prevents radiation problems for most plants.

> 2533274811158328;6:
> I’m not 100% up to speed on how Mars is presented in the Halo-verse. Is it in a Dome? If so then localized shielding is probably sufficient. If not, then I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s genetic engineering that prevents radiation problems for most plants.

In Halo, Mars has billions of people, is only second to Earth in terms of population numbers.
If the UNSC has the industrial capacity to make enough dome habitats for that kind of population, that creates a lot of questions.

With how schizophrenic Halo’s techbase is (inter-dimensional ship travel, man-portable lasers, space elevators, and fusion reactors that not even antimatter/matter reactors would be able to outproduce with equal size next to what appears to be Marines like we can see them today) everything is possible.

They made a lot of magnets. A lot of magnets.

Wouldn’t an atmosphere on mars, a new one, take hundreds of thousands if not millions of years to blow away? It’s not like the sun is going to strip it away within a few weeks. It’s likely something they have to monitor and maintain, in the long term, but wouldn’t be a problem over the course of a few hundred years.

> 2533274856555790;9:
> Wouldn’t an atmosphere on mars, a new one, take hundreds of thousands if not millions of years to blow away? It’s not like the sun is going to strip it away within a few weeks. It’s likely something they have to monitor and maintain, in the long term, but wouldn’t be a problem over the course of a few hundred years.

Its not that thats the problem its the solar radiation

> 2533274825022855;10:
> > 2533274856555790;9:
> > Wouldn’t an atmosphere on mars, a new one, take hundreds of thousands if not millions of years to blow away? It’s not like the sun is going to strip it away within a few weeks. It’s likely something they have to monitor and maintain, in the long term, but wouldn’t be a problem over the course of a few hundred years.
>
>
> Its not that thats the problem its the solar radiation

If humanity can create MAC guns, I’m sure they can use the technology to create magnetic fields for planets.

> 2717573882290912;11:
> > 2533274825022855;10:
> > > 2533274856555790;9:
> > > Wouldn’t an atmosphere on mars, a new one, take hundreds of thousands if not millions of years to blow away? It’s not like the sun is going to strip it away within a few weeks. It’s likely something they have to monitor and maintain, in the long term, but wouldn’t be a problem over the course of a few hundred years.
> >
> >
> > Its not that thats the problem its the solar radiation
>
>
> If humanity can create MAC guns, I’m sure they can use the technology to create magnetic fields for planets.

Except MAC guns are pretty simple really, we already have that tech now. All they are is giant railguns.

> 2533274825022855;12:
> > 2717573882290912;11:
> > > 2533274825022855;10:
> > > If humanity can create MAC guns, I’m sure they can use the technology to create magnetic fields for planets.
> >
> >
> > Except MAC guns are pretty simple really, we already have that tech now. All they are is giant railguns.
>
> Using that logic, magnetic fields for a planet are really simple as well. The technology to create a magnetic field we have today in the form of magnets. Magnetic fields for planets are just giant magnets.

> 2717573882290912;13:
> > 2533274825022855;12:
> > Except MAC guns are pretty simple really, we already have that tech now. All they are is giant railguns.
>
>
> Using that logic, magnetic fields for a planet are really simple as well. The technology to create a magnetic field we have today in the form of magnets. Magnetic fields for planets are just giant magnets.

Not really. We’re talking about the difference between creating a very large magnetic field inside a long solenoid, versus creating a magnetic field that extends thousands of kilometers into space. I did some back of the napkin calculations on this, and provided you were producing a planetary magnetic field with a solenoid like you would with the MAC gun, the field strength at distance of the radius of Mars would be some 20 orders of magnitude weaker than inside the solenoid, give or take a few orders of magnitude. Not to mention planetary magnetic fields need to extend into space far beyond the planet’s surface. Making magnetic cannons is difficult, but making magnetic fields for planets is many orders of magnitude harder. They’re not comparable.

Super heated the planets core with the orbital mac defense around earth then used the mining mac things ‘forget what they were called’ to hurl glaciers to the planet for water and oxegyn. After that the chief smacked the planet and.said work damn you. And it did

> 2533274825022855;12:
> > 2717573882290912;11:
> > > 2533274825022855;10:
> > > > 2533274856555790;9:
> > > > Wouldn’t an atmosphere on mars, a new one, take hundreds of thousands if not millions of years to blow away? It’s not like the sun is going to strip it away within a few weeks. It’s likely something they have to monitor and maintain, in the long term, but wouldn’t be a problem over the course of a few hundred years.
> > >
> > >
> > > Its not that thats the problem its the solar radiation
> >
> >
> > If humanity can create MAC guns, I’m sure they can use the technology to create magnetic fields for planets.
>
>
> Except MAC guns are pretty simple really, we already have that tech now. All they are is giant railguns.

1.Magnetic Accelerator Cannons are coilguns/gauss cannons.

2.No, we don’t have the tech. MACs have overcome issues that are a giant wall to the usage of coil guns in real life.
First of all, timing the coils is the biggest problem. Somehow, the UNSC has managed to make coilguns that have sufficiently precise timing
to launch a 6000 ton slug at 0.04c. We are talking about coils having to be timed with errors measured in the PICOSECONDS.

Then there are the issues of heat management, magnetic saturation of the projectile, preventing the acceleration from turning the projectile into a cloud of gas (which would not be affected by the magnetic fields, because only solid materials and plasma are affected), and even getting the power (51 GIGATONS of TNT equivalent in electricity,
every 5 seconds, 300 times).

3.There is a difference between making a small, temporary magnetic field of extreme power, and making a huge one permanently.

We actually do have the tech, the US Navy is adding its version of a MAC cannon on to the newest destroyer class. Is it as powerful as a MAC in the game no but its on track that we will be able to in the future

> 2533274855928398;17:
> We actually do have the tech, the US Navy is adding its version of a MAC cannon on to the newest destroyer class. Is it as powerful as a MAC in the game no but its on track that we will be able to in the future

So a US Navy destroyer can puncture a Covenant Destroyers shields and armor in only a few hits? Gee golly, if the Covenant invades we will be ready! MACs are coilguns. The US are starting to use Railguns.

The UNSC deployed legions of Mark Watney’s via drop pods who would “science the [poop]” out of Mars.

Note that I said its not as powerful as a MAC in cannon. But it works on the same principles so yes we do have the tech, its just in the infant stages now.