How Did Halsey and Palmer Survive Sunion?

As many of you recall, the last mission set on Sanghelios, Battle of Sunion, sees Osiris getting inside the Guardian just before it leaves. They were able to do so because Palmer grabbed a pelican gunship and, with Halsey, aided Osiris in getting to the Guardian after their fight with the Warden. However, soon after Osiris got on the Guardian, it sends out an EMP pulse way affecting many of the Covenant ships in the area, and the pelican containing Palmer and Halsey.

At the end of the game, Blue Team and Osiris return to Sanghelios via a pelican (which I assume was taken from Genesis) and arrive at Arbiter’s camp. With him is none other than Palmer and Halsey, unscratched by the battle (well, okay Halsey’s unscratched by Palmer’s pretty beat up) that happened hours earlier. My question, how the hell did those two survive a falling pelican with no power?! Did it reactivate before they hit the ocean or Sunion or something?! Hell, they even have a small bit with Locke showing distress for the two before getting in the Guardian!

Of all the plotholes and questions Halo 5 opened up, I’ve seen barely any talk about this one.

Probably some ex machina device where the pelicans have some EMP resistance or failsafe.

She probably did what most other pilots would do. “Land” the pelican as best she can. Her armor itself is designed to absorb a tremendous amount of damage, and if she and Halsey were strapped into the seats as it hit the ground, it would keep them relatively safe. Almost like a car crash, with the strap being the seatbelt, and Palmer’s armor being the airbag. Halsey was slightly bruised, while Palmer, well…Looked like he**. She probably shielded Halsey or something of the sort.

Halsey had barely a scratch on her, while Palmer face was all cut up… It’s like 343 is goading us to point out she wasn’t wearing her helmet. I don’t see how palmer could have braced Halsey in a crash. Half a tone of free weight on top of a frail old women in a high velocity crash?!

Its a vehicle in the year 2500. I’m sure there was something that helped them. Plus there was water and maybe Palmer did a controlled landing on the ground.

• Plot armour - 343s love of Palmer

Palmer looked pretty beat up in that last cutscene. Just sayin.

> 2533274808552379;2:
> Probably some ex machina device where the pelicans have some EMP resistance or failsafe.

But that’s an actual thing on real Aircraft EMP resistance

> 2533274936927904;8:
> > 2533274808552379;2:
> > Probably some ex machina device where the pelicans have some EMP resistance or failsafe.
>
>
> But that’s an actual thing on real Aircraft EMP resistance

Of course there is IRL. But in Halo 5 you can clearly see the UNSC fleet go dark after a pulse from the guardian.

> 2533274808552379;9:
> > 2533274936927904;8:
> > > 2533274808552379;2:
> > > Probably some ex machina device where the pelicans have some EMP resistance or failsafe.
> >
> >
> > But that’s an actual thing on real Aircraft EMP resistance
>
>
> Of course there is IRL. But in Halo 5 you can clearly see the UNSC fleet go dark after a pulse from the guardian.

Yeah, whatever the Guardians use has got to be a hella lot more advanced than a modern day EMP.

I don’t really see that as a plothole, Palmer probably landed the Pelican as best she could. For example, on one of Sunaion’s platforms. Also, Palmer’s armor may have been damaged in ensuing battle against Covenant forces that were still defending Sunaion. Or she may have participated to patrols and skirmishes around Arbiter’s camp to protect it, while Halsey always stayed away from firefights.

You said that the epilogue happened only hours after Locke’s departure from Sanghelios. But we don’t really know. It seems to happen quite some time later.

However, the real question is how Chief and Locke got back from Genesis with a simple Pelican. Maybe they found a portal or something like that. It may have taken days for them to regroup with the Swords, Palmer and Halsey.

> 2533274876631466;10:
> > 2533274808552379;9:
> > > 2533274936927904;8:
> > > > 2533274808552379;2:
> > > > Probably some ex machina device where the pelicans have some EMP resistance or failsafe.
> > >
> > >
> > > But that’s an actual thing on real Aircraft EMP resistance
> >
> >
> > Of course there is IRL. But in Halo 5 you can clearly see the UNSC fleet go dark after a pulse from the guardian.
>
> Yeah, whatever the Guardians use has got to be a hella lot more advanced than a modern day EMP.

> 2533274808552379;9:
> > 2533274936927904;8:
> > > 2533274808552379;2:
> > > Probably some ex machina device where the pelicans have some EMP resistance or failsafe.
> >
> >
> > But that’s an actual thing on real Aircraft EMP resistance
>
>
> Of course there is IRL. But in Halo 5 you can clearly see the UNSC fleet go dark after a pulse from the guardian.

Is it possible that they pulse emitted when the Guardian is charging, is firrerent from the actual weapon the Guardian uses?

Parachutes.

Just because we don’t see something happen doesn’t automatically mean it’s a plot hole. They crashed landed and Palmer likely took Halsey to safety.

They were wearing state-of-the-art plot armor

Parachutes? Palmer can obviously use stabilizers like Osiris in the first cut scene, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that Halsey found a parachute or something. It’s not that important of a detail.

> 2533274809220485;15:
> Just because we don’t see something happen doesn’t automatically mean it’s a plot hole. They crashed landed and Palmer likely took Halsey to safety.

This. Too many people forget this.

There are many, many scenarios in which Halsey and Palmer landed (relatively) safely.

Not really a plothole, just something that doesn’t need visuals to explain. They probably ejected and then were picked up by the SoS. Or they managed to crash-land it somewhere. Miranda Keys crashes a Pelican into a building and gets out just fine so it isn’t totally inconceivable that these flying ships have safety features to allow people to survive falling out of the sky.

/me facepalm