How did Cortana contact the Chief on Argent Moon?

I think this is an interesting question because it leaves multiple possibilities open for the future.

If Cortana and John have some sort of connection that transcended space, it could be potentially exploited to combat Cortana, similar to Neo in the Matrix.

Also the vision Chief had seemed to subconsciously reveal Cortana’s intentions with the imagery of the Guardians, maybe this is a sign that something good is still in her trying to warn Chief of what’s to come.

I strongly suspect that this “Cortana” is a power hungry fragment of the real one who died in Halo 4, but that leaves the possibility that she has some good fragments locked away somewhere unable to interfere with her plans.

Also this could show that John has access to the the domain. The Didact spoke to John in Halo 4 without Cortana hearing the transmission, and now Cortana with the domain is able to speak to John a galaxy away? Perhaps one of his gifts was access to the domain remotely, which if true would be a huge leap forward for sentient species, as the forerunners needed special armor to access the domain.

It’s technically not the first time the Chief has been contacted this way, if you count the Cortana and Gravemind moments in Halo 3. I always thought it was kinda creepy how he saw a phantom Cortana floating down a Forerunner hallway when she led him to the controls to release Installation 04(B).

> 2533274793749599;2:
> It’s technically not the first time the Chief has been contacted this way, if you count the Cortana and Gravemind moments in Halo 3. I always thought it was kinda creepy how he saw a phantom Cortana floating down a Forerunner hallway when she led him to the controls to release Installation 04(B).

Yeah further hints that there is some sort of “cosmic connection.” I just want to know more about how and what that entails. Why and when would be nice too :stuck_out_tongue:

It must be Domain. Only good explanation at the moment is that Master Chief was able to connect with Domain even before the evolution by Librarian(Halo 3).

I personally think the Didact has some involvement in this. What she says is too eeriely close to what the Didact says in Halo 4. Plus Cortana (or any AI) programming forbids the harm towards any human, so if she is “cured” then she wouldn’t be doing this, unless some sort of forerunner influence has changed her (hence where the warden / didact may come into play)

Neural physics can influence living entities.
Both the precursors, and, to a far, far lesser, almost not noticable extent, the forerunners had an understanding of them.

> 2533274852660538;5:
> I personally think the Didact has some involvement in this. What she says is too eeriely close to what the Didact says in Halo 4. Plus Cortana (or any AI) programming forbids the harm towards any human, so if she is “cured” then she wouldn’t be doing this, unless some sort of forerunner influence has changed her (hence where the warden / didact may come into play)

Cortana was the more elaborate AI of all. That would not be surprising that being healed by forerunner technology would upgrade her.

Mjonirbook, duh :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, more then likely the domain.

> 2533274852660538;5:
> I personally think the Didact has some involvement in this. What she says is too eeriely close to what the Didact says in Halo 4. Plus Cortana (or any AI) programming forbids the harm towards any human, so if she is “cured” then she wouldn’t be doing this, unless some sort of forerunner influence has changed her (hence where the warden / didact may come into play)

What about the AI’s who joined her?

She used the technology of…

PLOT DEVICE.

Same as in Halo 3, until it was stated that was the Gravemind and Mendicant Bias the ones behind the apparitions. Looking forward to what explanation they may try to give to Chief’s vision in Halo 5 though.

Forerunner Mind Tricks

Both in Halo 3 and Halo 5, Chief has kept Cortana’s Chip inside his helmet, even though she no longer inhabits it. Though Halo 4 is somewhat inconsistent regarding Cortana’s access to systems, be it through the armor itself or the physical chip. It is assumed that 117 still has the data chip, or Cortana has left an imprint in his helmet that allows her to connect to his neural net, even when not physically present.

> 2533274852660538;5:

In First Strike I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) Cortana turned off her moral programing so that she could vent the atmosphere out of a covenant ship to kill all the covenant aboard. From this I assume she can just turn it on and off as she pleases.

> 2533274950478805;12:
> Both in Halo 3 and Halo 5, Chief has kept Cortana’s Chip inside his helmet, even though she no longer inhabits it. Though Halo 4 is somewhat inconsistent regarding Cortana’s access to systems, be it through the armor itself or the physical chip. It is assumed that 117 still has the data chip, or Cortana has left an imprint in his helmet that allows her to connect to his neural net, even when not physically present.

I believe the chip was destroyed in Halo 4.

> 2533274824409174;4:
> It must be Domain. Only good explanation at the moment is that Master Chief was able to connect with Domain even before the evolution by Librarian(Halo 3).

If that’s true then humans probably do have a better “genesong” than the Forerunners as stated by the librarian. I wonder why ancient humanity didn’t have access to the domain. I feel like the consciousness of the domain has been playing games with forerunners and humanity alike for quite some time.

> 2533274807480458;15:
> If that’s true then humans probably do have a better “genesong” than the Forerunners as stated by the librarian. I wonder why ancient humanity didn’t have access to the domain. I feel like the consciousness of the domain has been playing games with forerunners and humanity alike for quite some time.

Perhaps the Domain was denied to Ancient Humans as part of their test? The Domain is a giant repository of knowledge and so the Domain could have been cut off from them so that they would develop on their own without cheating and getting information from the Domain itself? After everything that has happened over the last 100,000 years though, things may have changed and the Domain is now open to them.

> 2533274793749599;16:
> > 2533274807480458;15:
> > If that’s true then humans probably do have a better “genesong” than the Forerunners as stated by the librarian. I wonder why ancient humanity didn’t have access to the domain. I feel like the consciousness of the domain has been playing games with forerunners and humanity alike for quite some time.
>
>
> Perhaps the Domain was denied to Ancient Humans as part of their test? The Domain is a giant repository of knowledge and so the Domain could have been cut off from them so that they would develop on their own without cheating and getting information from the Domain itself? After everything that has happened over the last 100,000 years though, things may have changed and the Domain is now open to them.

That’s a good theory. If so, I wonder if at some point the Forerunners were denied access as well and stole the domain from the precursors when they wiped them out. If not, then they failed with all the knowledge the could want at their disposal.

Remember, Cortana has access to the entire Forerunner Domain, and as we all know, Forerunner technology is way passed the technology of Humanity. I’m sure she can do whatever the hell she wants.