How dark should the story be in 343's trilogy

This might be just another pointless thread but this is just how I see it. This is a thread about how dark and realistic the story is/should be.

So as you might have noticed the story in this new saga is going to be darker than in the original trilogy. Which is kinda ironic because the theme of halo games has been the genocide of the human race. But did it feel like it? No. Not to me at least.

The issue for me that I think has always plagued this franchise, is that on one hand it’s a ton of fun to drive ghosts and watch how those silly grunts panic and cry for their mother but on the other, they are supposed to be mass murdering aliens. Again, maybe I’m just ignorant fool who hasn’t read the novels and doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

I hope I don’t sound like I’m bashing this franchise. I love halo, but this is just something that’s been on my mind for a while now.

The best way I could sum this up is by asking you; should Halo be this space opera, or would you rather prefer it to be a gritty, futuristic war-story like Black hawk down, Band of brothers, Letters from iwo jima etc.

as gritty as censors allow please :slight_smile:

in the games it was never super gritty, feels like the human race is in danger. the books were better at that but i want to see the games go a good bit darker and make me feel scared for the folks in the game. in the old halos it was space rambo so having it have a darker theme will be good for the new series i think.

The Halo games have been my favorites since CE, and for the first time ever in the franchise, I cared about the characters in Halo 4. When Jacob Keyes, Miranda Keyes, or Sgt. Johnson died, when Cortana was taken captive by the Gravemind, when Kat, Jorge, or Carter died, I felt nothing. The only time I felt something in Bungie’s campaigns was Noble 6’s death in Halo: Reach.

Halo 4’s Campaign was a masterpiece in comparison. Everything I (Master Chief) did felt epic. Instead of feeling like an indifferent observer, I cared about the characters in the game.

If Halo 5 can do the same, it will be awesome.

I want Halos story to be darker and gritty such that it actually earns its 17+ rating. I don’t even think Halo 4’s level of violence/atmosphere warranted the M rating given.

Halo kinda had a big feeling of colorfulness and heroism . I would like 343 to venture more into the darker and more mature themes like the did in Halo 4 . Although it shouldn’t go to far into the edgy or mature side like say gears. One way 343 can achieve this through game play is by actually giving the NPC marines their own unique personalities and making them more helpful instead of nameless red shirts that might as well not be there and having the same NPCs appear frequently in later parts of the story. It was kinda like that , but I like to see it expanded on.

It may do a good service if it does , since so many popular games and shows are really dark nowadays. It could potentially gather new fans and keep the current fans who are much older now.

Should be dark and violent as the books. Even the motion comics are gritty.

> I want Halos story to be darker and gritty such that it actually earns its 17+ rating. I don’t even think Halo 4’s level of violence/atmosphere warranted the M rating given.

You have to admit, the Composer’s effects were pretty gruesome, what with the flesh melting and pain and agony and what not.

Something I’d like to see is the energy sword used. Some more stabbing with that thing would be nice. FUD did a good job with this.

343 have already done a good job with taking things from the books such as taking the feeling and movement of spartans and how they behave. The heaviness of how Chief walked around and behaved was spot on in Halo 4.

Seeing some plasma burns up close would be cool too.

> > I want Halos story to be darker and gritty such that it actually earns its 17+ rating. I don’t even think Halo 4’s level of violence/atmosphere warranted the M rating given.
>
> You have to admit, the Composer’s effects were pretty gruesome, what with the flesh melting and pain and agony and what not.

Hmm yes now that you have mentioned it I do recall that one 9 second scene out of the total 1 hour and 8 minutes of cutscenes. Would have been cool to see something equally gruesome in the actual gameplay.

In Halo 5 Lasky should get frozen in carbonite.

Its a Saga now not a Trilogy :slight_smile:

This belongs in the Halo Xbox One fourm =)

I would like to see Halo 5 be very dark, but then I’d like to see Halo 6 kind of be like Halo 3, kind of like a triumphant journey? That’s a horrible way to describe it, though sorry.

As long as we have Cortana back for the campaign…

> In Halo 5 Lasky should get frozen in carbonite.

And then made into Jul’s coffee table.

> As long as we have Cortana back for the campaign…

No thank you