How dark do you want Halo 5 to be?

343 has said Halo 5 will be the darkest Halo to date, now that gets me excited. How dark do you want it to be. I’m sure it will deal with the death of Cortana and other bads things, and what kind of darkness do you want, more depression and hopelessness or more of the terrifying secrets and natures of the Universe?

> 343 has said Halo 5 will be the darkest Halo to date

Where?

I don’t really like the idea of making Halo more depressing. I’ve always seen Halo as this hopeful game that isn’t afraid to use color and humor where appropriate, while still being capable of creating sad moments. Stories that only awake negative emotions in me have always felt a bit shallow as far as I’m concerned.

Halo has always been hopeful to me.

A highly advanced society.
The human race uncovering secrets about itself.
An alien race slowly but surely reaching edification.

Dark/Depressed seems to be the in thing these past few years. Personally I’m getting pretty tired of it. Everything in the media, especially gaming, is about the impending apocalypse, the terroristic threat, or the immoral society.

> Where?

I’ll find the source in a few minutes.

Edit:

> > 343 has said Halo 5 will be the darkest Halo to date
>
> Where?
>
> I don’t really like the idea of making Halo more depressing. I’ve always seen Halo as this hopeful game that isn’t afraid to use color and humor where appropriate, while still being capable of creating sad moments. Stories that only awake negative emotions in me have always felt a bit shallow as far as I’m concerned.

To truly appreciate hope and the taste of victory, you have to know the feeling of utter, crushing despair.

That’s why all 3 act dramatic structures have the 2nd act as the darkest one (EG: Empire Strikes Back). Halo 5 is no different, and given what it’ll probably be about (Precursor return) they have a wonderful opportunity to capitalize on the “we are screwed” feeling.

> To truly appreciate hope and the taste of victory, you have to know the feeling of utter, crushing despair.
>
> That’s why all 3 act dramatic structures have the 2nd act as the darkest one (EG: Empire Strikes Back). Halo 5 is no different, and given what it’ll probably be about (Precursor return) they have a wonderful opportunity to capitalize on the “we are screwed” feeling.

So basically…

Go to 7:14 if autoplay doesn’t work.

Halo4 had a romcom/chickflick feeling to its story. i actually laughed at most of it.

Reach oh reach, Dark sad and no hope for humanity. the music score alone portrays this feeling. i get a little tear in my eye while listening to the Reach ost.

It makes sense that Halo 5 will be dark, Chief has lost Cortana and is still recovering from her loss. I have a feeling that this game will be very dark and gloomy, to set up a final happier ending with Halo 6.

Masterchief will likely die in halo 6, and that shall be the darkest halo.

> I don’t really like the idea of making Halo more depressing. I’ve always seen Halo as this hopeful game that isn’t afraid to use color and humor where appropriate, while still being capable of creating sad moments. Stories that only awake negative emotions in me have always felt a bit shallow as far as I’m concerned.

> Halo has always been hopeful to me.
>
> A highly advanced society.
> The human race uncovering secrets about itself.
> An alien race slowly but surely reaching edification.
>
> Dark/Depressed seems to be the in thing these past few years. Personally I’m getting pretty tired of it. Everything in the media, especially gaming, is about the impending apocalypse, the terroristic threat, or the immoral society.

Thirded!

Ever since CE opened with that soaring Gregorian chant, Halo to me has been about hope, about rising above adversity, uncovering new mysteries and discovering new ideas.

“Dark” should be a plot device for adding drama or edging a picture. Using it as a baseline is dangerous. I think in that case it is better suited to comic book movies (e.g. Dark Knight).

> > I don’t really like the idea of making Halo more depressing. I’ve always seen Halo as this hopeful game that isn’t afraid to use color and humor where appropriate, while still being capable of creating sad moments. Stories that only awake negative emotions in me have always felt a bit shallow as far as I’m concerned.
>
>
>
> > Halo has always been hopeful to me.
> >
> > A highly advanced society.
> > The human race uncovering secrets about itself.
> > An alien race slowly but surely reaching edification.
> >
> > Dark/Depressed seems to be the in thing these past few years. Personally I’m getting pretty tired of it. Everything in the media, especially gaming, is about the impending apocalypse, the terroristic threat, or the immoral society.
>
> Thirded!
>
> Ever since CE opened with that soaring Gregorian chant, Halo to me has been about hope, about rising above adversity, uncovering new mysteries and discovering new ideas.
>
> “Dark” should be a plot device for adding drama or edging a picture. Using it as a baseline is dangerous. I think in that case it is better suited to comic book movies (e.g. Dark Knight).

It can work really well if the story has its lighter moments, but Halo has always juxtaposed large victories with bigger defeats. Think, for example, of the reveal of the Flood after taking over the control room in Halo 1. The betrayal by the Gravemind in Halo 2. Halo 3 does this more, first when you take out the Covenant AA gun only to find that your air support is useless, then later when High Charity jumps to the Ark after you lower the shield around the Citadel. Reach followed the trend, by revealing the Supercarrier after you successfully destroyed the spire, or killing off Kat and glassing New Alexandria just when Noble Team had come upon their most important objective. Halo 4 does it as well, accidentally releasing the Didact after completing mission 3’s goal, or killing everyone aboard Ivanoff station and letting the Didact get away with the Composer.

In my opinion, 343i should try to make the emotional high points higher, and the low points lower. It contributes to greater emotional investment, and keeps the stakes high. I want them to take the game in some really dark directions, but they need to be balanced by emotional highs.

Destruction of earth, Return of the flood, the retreat of humanity and the rise of the didact. yea that sounds pretty dark to me.

I would love a campaign like that.

> > To truly appreciate hope and the taste of victory, you have to know the feeling of utter, crushing despair.
> >
> > That’s why all 3 act dramatic structures have the 2nd act as the darkest one (EG: Empire Strikes Back). Halo 5 is no different, and given what it’ll probably be about (Precursor return) they have a wonderful opportunity to capitalize on the “we are screwed” feeling.
>
> So basically…
>
> Go to 7:14 if autoplay doesn’t work.

I now have a new Abridged series to watch.

> 343 has said Halo 5 will be the darkest Halo to date, now that gets me excited. How dark do you want it to be. I’m sure it will deal with the death of Cortana and other bads things, and what kind of darkness do you want, more depression and hopelessness or more of the terrifying secrets and natures of the Universe?

A bit of both.

> Halo4 had a romcom/chickflick feeling to its story. i actually laughed at most of it.
>
> Reach oh reach, Dark sad and no hope for humanity. the music score alone portrays this feeling. i get a little tear in my eye while listening to the Reach ost.

i fell the same when i here the halo 3 music

> Destruction of earth, Return of the flood, the retreat of humanity and the rise of the didact. yea that sounds pretty dark to me.
>
> I would love a campaign like that.

That reminds me of a little jewel called Advent Rising…i like it.
And as for how dark i want Halo 5…DARK.
I’ve always thought the Halo games were a little too colorful in every sense of the word, which is something i personally don’t like. Halo 4 was practically a rainbow when it came to colors alone. A grittier and darker Halo is definitely in order. Master Chief roaming a planet by himself and speaking to Cortana’s chip, even though she isn’t there would certainly be a little disturbing, it would also make you question his sanity.

All I know, is that there needs to be more Covenant in Halo 5. I enjoyed facing the Prometheans, but there wasn’t enough Covenant in Halo 4. So, as long as there is more Covenant to fight, I will be anticipating this new story, regardless of whether or not Halo 5 is “Going to be the darkest Halo yet.”

I want it to be so dark that I can barely see when I turn the brightness all the way up.

JK

On topic…

I hope the story is darker, especially now that we have lost Cortana. Hopefully there will be more meaning and emotion to it.

I want it to be a borderline horror game. The Flood, Covenant, and Prometheans should all be terrifying because honestly they are a parasite that destroys everything, an alien alliance that is thousands of years more advanced than humans, and an army of robot things that are millions of years more advanced than humans. All of the three sound pretty terrifying to me.

> > Destruction of earth, Return of the flood, the retreat of humanity and the rise of the didact. yea that sounds pretty dark to me.
> >
> > I would love a campaign like that.
>
> That reminds me of a little jewel called Advent Rising…i like it.
> And as for how dark i want Halo 5…DARK.
> I’ve always thought the Halo games were a little too colorful in every sense of the word, which is something i personally don’t like. Halo 4 was practically a rainbow when it came to colors alone. A grittier and darker Halo is definitely in order. Master Chief roaming a planet by himself and speaking to Cortana’s chip, even though she isn’t there would certainly be a little disturbing, it would also make you question his sanity.

Imagine Master Chief calling out to Cortana to open a locked door or to find an exit for him. Not because he’s forgotten that she is gone but he is at such a low that his sanity is fluctuating. Maybe he could see some others that have died like Sgt. Johnson or Cpt. Keyes.

> Halo4 had a romcom/chickflick feeling to its story. i actually laughed at most of it.
>
> <mark>Reach oh reach, Dark sad and no hope for humanity. the music score alone portrays this feeling. i get a little tear in my eye while listening to the Reach ost</mark>.

I’m with ya on this.