How can the sense of progression in infinite multiplayer be improved?

I would like to put the following statement up for debate:

Any Halo Infinite Multiplayer match should grant the player the opportunity to progress in at least one weekly challenge.

Problem

Progression is vital in keeping us players engaged and entertained. Currently, progressing in Halo Infinite Multiplayer and earning rewards really boils down to completing weekly challenges.

If we assume the above statement that every match grants the player an opportunity to progress in at least one weekly challenge, it still is often far from trivial to finish a challenge and doing so might require some perseverance and multiple attempts spanning multiple matches (at least for a player with my skill level, and at least for the higher tier / ultimate challenges). Hence, progressing happens slowly and intermittently.

Now the problem is that the assumption above does not even hold. Many times a game does not even grant the player the opportunity to work on any challenge (or to work on just one, or at least not on the one that the player was actively pursuing, which is also problematic I believe, albeit to a lesser extent perhaps).

Example

Given a player having three current weekly challenges dependent on a specific game mode / weapon / vehicle, they might be assigned to a match that excludes all those challenges (i.e. game mode and weapon/vehicle spawns not compatible with any of the challenges).
E.g. A player has challenges to (1) capture a zone, (2) defeat an enemy attacking a zone, and (3) win a Strongholds match. The matchmaking system then assigns the player to an Oddball game.

My experience

I find not being able to progress every match to be extremely frustrating. Sometimes I am even under the impression that the matchmaking is intentionally designed to make the next match avoid the player’s current challenges. I feel completely exploited by the game, putting me in a continuous grind, severely impacting my enjoyment in the game.

Solutions

I can think of a couple of improvements that would contribute to solving this problem.

1. Firstly, a solution would be to allow players to queue for a specific game mode. Maybe even in combination with a specific map, so the players themselves can control for the weapon / vehicle spawns. This allows players to pursue an active challenge intentionally.
  2. Secondly, a solution would be to select current challenges based on the current game. When launching a game, the top three challenges from the player’s weekly challenge backlog supported by the current game become active. This way it will become highly likely that the player will progress in at least one challenge, keeping the player happy.
  3. Thirdly, remove the distinction between current and upcoming challenges and allow concurrent progression in an entire batch of weekly challenges which are all completely distinct.
  4. Finally, design the challenges such that they are independent of an exact game’s setting. For example: “kill enemies with a vehicle’s gun”. Then queuing for big team will have a player end up with at least a vehicle, whether it be a warthog or a wasp, and allow the player to pursue the challenge. Analogously, this could be done for game modes (score offensive objectives, e.g. capturing a flag or a zone or a power seed). Similarly, weapon challenges might be about a subset of weapons that are similar in their characteristics, but together span the entire range of possible weapon spawns in the different game modes and maps a player could end up in (not sure whether this is feasible).

All the above solutions would increase the average amount of challenges progressed / completed per game and therefore contribute to a greater sense of progression.

Thank you so much for reading. What are your thoughts? Should the progression system indeed be improved? If so, why, and how?

A Match Composer and Match Performance based XP.

1 Like

I think your posts are all valid and I would love to see that. And be able to work on all challenges at the same time for example. But I think you missed the monetization point which seems to be a bigger focus than a happy fanbase.

Sometimes the matchmaking can feel like it is fishy but maybe we just feel like that, because we would like to finish specific challenges. Or even just get a chance to try them.

And looking at the current in-game store… Seems like the target audience for Infinite is between 8 and 16 years old (with unrestricted access to money).

1 Like