How camo could work more fluidly[Updated]

We are all aware by now that camo has been confirmed to be in halo 4 as an armor ability. We have only gotten info from one source on it however and it seems to be overall unchanged according to this source. I figured that there’s is no point in denying camo’s presence as an But rather think of ways to make AAs as subtle to the flow of gameplay as the other AAs of halo 4.

This was an Idea I saw a long time ago, and I still believe it is the best possible way to balance active camo. AC should act like the camo The arbiter had in halo 2. Very short bursts of invisibility. You activate it, and have approximately 7-10 seconds of good camouflage. This allows you to move from point A to point B stealthily, as is the goal of active camo.

The downside? You aren’t allowed to shoot weapons or throw grenades while in camo. If you do, then all of your charge will be exhausted at once, leaving you vulnerable. This. It should also have a generally long recharge time(10-15 seconds) that doesn’t start recharging until after you leave camo. This was, it is only good for stealthy infiltration, rather than easy camping. Your shields should also not recharge while in camo, meaning you cant just hide around the corner in camo and jump back in when your back up to health. Once again, making this AA only viable for stealthy infiltration.

radar jamming should not be featured. It did nothing to hurt camo in the past, and did nothing but alert others to the presence of somebody in camo. The deafening effect should also be removed IMO, or at least changed to only reducing sounds, rather than blocking them.

I feel that even though camo works 1000 times better asa pickup, we can still make it work at least decent as an AA.

Thoughts? comments? suggestions? objections?

**[edit]:**In NakedHalo’s gameplay from earlier today, we get to see a small amount of camo gameplay. The cameraman pans away from the AA when he activates it, but it seems to have a much shorter duration than in reach, as well as a longer recharge time. This is a start.

The jamming and deafening seems to be gone as well. And from the looks of it, the camo is still much weaker when you are moving. I can’t tell if you it times out faster when moving or not, but I assume so.

The Health recharge is a bit of an overkill.

Not a bad idea, and a nice nod back to Halo 2!
10 seconds per use with a recharge time of 30s would be great.

> The Health recharge is a bit of an overkill.

I only gave a basis to build off of. feel free to add your own ideas as you see fit. As long as it can work better than in reach, it has a place in this tread.

Arby camo for 10 secs and not showing up on radar will suffice. 343 is being difficult in the first place. They clearly put Overshield as a power up, so what made them say AA camo again? I want to know just what they are thinking when they put it as an AA with jammer.

Y? I grow tired of suggesting ideas for camo when they aren’t really going to change it much. It’s pretty much confirmed to be like Reach…

it would work perfect if it was a pick up on the map and not an AA period.

> it would work perfect if it was a pick up on the map and not an AA period.

Yes, it would. In fact, i’m stunned that after everything 343 has been doing to revive powerups and make AAs subtle, they still put camo as an AA.

But since theres no doubt its there now, i’m trying to be a bit optimistic. No point in wallowing in anger. Might as well hope for the best, and try and give 343 ideas on how to do it. a simple 5 minutes in the coding could make even 1 suggestion a reality.

I love the idea that cloak should be more like the one from Halo2’s campaign. No matter what we do cloak will be useless because of Promethean Vision.

I was going to commit -Yoinking!- suicide when I found out camo was returning as an armor ability. That’s damn ludicrous. Why would they add camo back as an AA after all the negative feedback? I’ll tell you why; they want an abundance of armor abilities, whether or not they break map flow. It’s a shame; it should have returned as a power up in ordnance. (Yes, I’m mad bro)

> I love the idea that cloak should be more like the one from Halo2’s campaign. No matter what we do cloak will be useless because of Promethean Vision.

yes, I thought of this as being its counter, but overall I don’t see it as being enough. after a while, I feel most will find PV to be pretty worthless, as the radar gives the same results.

And we don’t want it to be worthless. then it might as well not be on the disc. But in its current state it is fairly overpowered in most situations.

> I love the idea that cloak should be more like the one from Halo2’s campaign. No matter what we do cloak will be useless because of Promethean Vision.

Actually camo and Hologram are supposed to be the counters to Promethean vision…

> Actually camo and Hologram are supposed to be the counters to Promethean vision…

I thought they said it was just Hologram, is there anything to confirm this?

Ya, I hope it isn’t like Reach, that was useless… I don’t know why everyone complains about camo snipers, I have maybe encountered that twice in my years of playing Reach, they are just looking for something to be pissed about.

> > Actually camo and Hologram are supposed to be the counters to Promethean vision…
>
> I thought they said it was just Hologram, is there anything to confirm this?

Well, supposedly you can only see their outline when they are cloaked, but I have not seen any evidence of this.

> it would work perfect if it was a pick up on the map and not an AA period.

>>>Classic playlist

BAM! PROBLEM SOLVED

Made a similar thread a month ago with these suggestion, don’t forget they are “suggestions” meaning I don’t intent on applying all of them. Just tell me which you think works.

Changes:

5-6 seconds only so that it can only be used to ambush and escape bad situations
drains meter completely when firing/meeling
full camo when moving so to not encourage sitting to get the full effect of camo
no radar jamming/ only the AC user loses his radar. So that he can be spotted, make so like in team fortress 2 for the spy class that a shimmer sound can be heard near camo.
1 use per AA meter, drains fully when deactivating (explained below)
meeling/ shooting without deactivating camo first results in blindess to the user (2-3 seconds) to prevent camping or corner camping.
camo switches to weak camo when zoomed to prevent the problem of camo’ing snipers.

I get the feeling you got the idea to make it more like the Arby Camo from Halo 2 from me, since it is one of my ideas to help balance the Camo AA.

I’d be ok with it being this way as long as it doesn’t affect the powerup in the same manner.

Please don’t suggest removing the radar jammer from my precious camo. It is one the best reasons to use it. It is practically two abilities in one.

> Made a similar thread a month ago with these suggestion, don’t forget they are “suggestions” meaning I don’t intent on applying all of them. Just tell me which you think works.
>
> Changes:
>
> 5-6 seconds only so that it can only be used to ambush and escape bad situations
> drains meter completely when firing/meeling
> full camo when moving so to not encourage sitting to get the full effect of camo
> no radar jamming/ only the AC user loses his radar. So that he can be spotted, make so like in team fortress 2 for the spy class that a shimmer sound can be heard near camo.
> 1 use per AA meter, drains fully when deactivating (explained below)
> meeling/ shooting without deactivating camo first results in blindess to the user (2-3 seconds) to prevent camping or corner camping.
> camo switches to weak camo when zoomed to prevent the problem of camo’ing snipers.

lol, most of this was in my OP. I like most of the new things you listed as well. thanks for the input.

> I get the feeling you got the idea to make it more like the Arby Camo from Halo 2 from me, since it is one of my ideas to help balance the Camo AA.
>
> I’d be ok with it being this way as long as it doesn’t affect the powerup in the same manner.

I may have. It was either here or in the Bnet forums. I just remember that it was the best Idea for camo I had ever seen.