How am I not gold even after hours of gameplay?

Hello 343i and fellow Halo enthusiast,

I’m enjoying H5 right now, even if there are bugs (big deal, it’s a beta :slight_smile: ).
I don’t understand at all the rank system. After 10 hours and 30 minutes of Gameplay, I am still CSR Silver III.

Here are my profile stats on Halo 5 (01/03/2015 at 01:41pm GMT).

> CSR: Silver III
>
> Gameplay time: 10 h 30 min
> Won games: 44
> Games played: 62
> Medals earned: 1688
>
> KDA:8,0
> Frags: 912
> Death: 469
> Assists: 347
> K/D Ratio: 1,94
> Favorite weapon: Battle Rifle
> Frags: 373
> Headshots: 320

Precisions:
I play solo.
Almost every game, I get Killing Spree medals, double kill medals. Sometimes I get Killing Frenzy. Triple kill are not rare. Running riot are rare.
I BR almost everytime. I try to assist my teamates too. I try to ended up with less than 5 deaths and a +10/+15 KD difference.
My questions are:
-Is ranking related to KDA? -> As if you have a higher KDA, it’s harder to level up?
-How can other have 30 minutes of gametime and get gold?
-Is it related to skill / gameplay performance? -> (K/D Ratio, Medals, Shooting accuracy?)

English is not my mother tongue, I hope I’ve wrote an easy-reading post.

With great respect to the work done on the beta.

Because it is based on win/loss so you may not have won enough matches

Basically if you’re not playing with a team you won’t get a high rank. I play solo cuz my friends dont like the game and I just go constantly down. Doesn’t help that its been a full day since I’ve actually played with a full team. Constantly getting teamed with quitters or afk people

I started out at Gold I, at the very far left side, last night. 13 hours later, I was up to Gold II, right in the middle. But, who cares. Had a blast playing.

playing solo i made to gold 3 i just cant go any further

its wins and losses
you can be the best player alive but if you lost hose 10 placement matches youll be in iron

and gold sucks dude
its just tryhards kd padding
I wish I wasn’t in gold anymore and could actually enjoy the game instead of just fighting people who walk around in groups

Thank you for your reply,

Well I’ve seen people with a lower / far lower ratio of won games than I have and being gold.
I have 44 won games on 62 played, giving a ratio of 1,40.

I noted some people with around 1,00 of win/loss ratio being gold after 30 minutes / 1 hour of gametime.

Do we have to win 1000 games and lose just 5 to rank?

It was the first 10 games that really seated you.

> 2727626560038972;8:
> It was the first 10 games that really seated you.

> 2727626560038972;8:

I don’t remember but it could be, sadly :frowning:

So are Halo 5 grades (silver/gold/iron) like Halo 3 grades (lieutenant/major/general) or like H3 levels (0 to 50)?

I remember, back on Halo 3, seeing people being general with 500 or 600 exp. I’m beginning to think levelling H5 grades is the same as H3 one.

> 2727626560038972;8:

It must be. I have been stuck in bronze ( I’m not good at fast paced shooters ).
I saw a gold opponent and thought I check his stats. Played 16 games and won 10. His kdr was 1.1. So apparently it’s first set of games.

I was watching a stream last night, the guy’s second ranked game on XBL, he is playing with a high ranked team…after he won he went from Silver 1 to Semi Pro in one game. He jumped that many levels.

It has something to do with the initial ranked games and playing with a stacked team will get you a high rank.

I have over 11 hours played, a 7 KDA, won a majority of my games, and I am just Gold 1, yet I see people with a 10% of my games and they are Semi Pro or Onyx.

@JohnSparten117
@BlackAndBlue4U

So ranking in Halo 5 has nothing to do with skill. Like it is not comparable to being General with only 600exp on Halo 3.

Maybe the ranking system is broken; It’s like being tanked by level 50 on H3 team slayer… too bad.

Because if people with “low ratio silver/gold” get matchmade with “mid or high ratio silver/gold high”, it could be not fair on both side.

I started at Silver 3. Got up to Onyx 1 just by soloing. It’s a grind, but it can be done. And it was very enjoyable. Looking forward to grinding to Semi pro!

> 2533274812436545;13:
> @JohnSparten117
> @BlackAndBlue4U
>
> So ranking in Halo 5 has nothing to do with skill. Like it is not comparable to being General with only 600exp on Halo 3.
>
> Maybe the ranking system is broken; It’s like being tanked by level 50 on H3 team slayer… too bad.

It has everything to do with skill. I can promise you that regardless of some of the silly kids on here, you won’t get AFK kids EVERY SINGLE GAME. If you are good, you will inevitably start winning and rank up. Especially when objective playlists come out.

> 2533274982935787;12:
> I was watching a stream last night, the guy’s second ranked game on XBL, he is playing with a high ranked team…after he won he went from Silver 1 to Semi Pro in one game. He jumped that many levels.
>
> It has something to do with the initial ranked games and playing with a stacked team will get you a high rank.
>
> I have over 11 hours played, a 7 KDA, won a majority of my games, and I am just Gold 1, yet I see people with a 10% of my games and they are Semi Pro or Onyx.

That didn’t happen. I can promise you that lol. It was either an insane glitch, or it was his intial placement and you just saw it go from unranked to Semi Pro.

> 2533274910667203;15:
> > 2533274812436545;13:
> > @JohnSparten117
> > @BlackAndBlue4U
> >
> > So ranking in Halo 5 has nothing to do with skill. Like it is not comparable to being General with only 600exp on Halo 3.
> >
> > Maybe the ranking system is broken; It’s like being tanked by level 50 on H3 team slayer… too bad.
>
>
>
>
> It has everything to do with skill. I can promise you that regardless of some of the silly kids on here, you won’t get AFK kids EVERY SINGLE GAME. If you are good, you will inevitably start winning and rank up. Especially when objective playlists come out.

I agree with you :slight_smile: Without being arrogant, I think I have few good skills.
That’s why I doubted of the ranking system after 10 hours of gametime. I’ve been very rarely with afk people and won some games on 3 vs 4, even on 2 vs 4.

And if I win, I will still get my +10/+15 points of rank.

Maybe it’s because I don’t do enough but if we have to wait 30 hours to get to Iron 1, whereas some are Iron 3 with 1 hour of gametime… Hope you see my point.

because ranking is broken

Here is what Josh Menke, matchmaking designer, said on twitter:

“Halo 5 ranks: Other 5 classses see exactly how close they are to promotion. Win goes up, loss goes down. Amount depends on opponent skill.
link: https://twitter.com/joshua_menke/status/532310264838774785

“Halo 5 beta will have placement matches to get ranked. e.g. Play 10 matches before we show your rank.
link: https://twitter.com/joshua_menke/status/532382418695499778

Here is a recap of Teambeyond article about the breakdown of H5 ranks

> -Halo 5’s ranking system is titled CSR (Competitive Skill Rating), but is far different from Halo 4
> -The 1-50 Rankings from previous Halo games will not return, but this is in order to create more competitive ranks with a visible skill gap
> -The CSR System Features 7 Divisions. The first five Divisions are each divided into three tiers, and the final two are a separate, high level category where players are constantly fighting for a spot in the Top 200 Leaderboard.
> -Placement Matches are used to place players into the appropriate Division for their skill level.
> -The first five Divisions will likely be named along the lines of: Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond/Masters
> -The final two Divisions are Semi-Pro and Pro
> -The Pro Division will feature a Leaderboard where you can view the Top 200 players in the world.
> -CSR is on a per-playlist basis, however we don’t know how many and/or which playlists will be ranked.
> -The Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta will showcase the CSR system for the first time.

link: http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-ranks-breakdown/

Beta ranking system could be bugged.
“-The 1-50 Rankings from previous Halo games will not return, but this is in order to create more competitive ranks with a visible skill gap” may not apply on the beta.

A youtube video to remove all the doubts: