How a real halo game "feels" like... to me

i posted this in a different thread, but the op never responded. so i’ll post it here in response to, “tell me how halo feels like”.

the op and many others agreed that halo 4 felt like halo. but i’m here to disagree and say why halo 4 does not feel like halo.

in past halo games:

  • you always want to go faster but you don’t.
  • you get the feeling of cringing your teeth when you’re on the verge to make it over the cliff and you want to make it over, but you don’t know if you’ll make it.
  • the feeling after you die and want to get back into the fight, but you have to wait.
    i miss those feelings…
    halo 4 feeling:
  • You die too quick to think about how best to deal with the encounter.
  • You don’t have a respawn time to think about what went wrong before you’re thrown back in.
  • it’s all about go go go, faster pace mode
  • Weapons in fixed locations on the map is gone. This might sound minor but it had a lot to do with map focus and how maps played out, even subconciously.
  • halo 4 spoils the players; you can practically get any weapon/aa you want.
  • i believe that we should fight to earn it. not spoon fed in the beginning.
  • no picking up nades from other players unless you have a perk etc. etc. All this weird stuff was not in Reach or any other Halo. All Reach had were bad AA’s and bloom, aside from that all was pretty much the same.

conclusion: halo 4 does have a bit of the halo feeling, but most of it is gone. the game has gotten too convenient for players.

  • oh no, i can’t make it over the cliff… oh wait i have jet pack!
  • i gotta run away, but i can’t run any faster! oh wait, i can sprint and use thruster pack!
  • i want that camo! i’ll fight for it because it’s worth it! wait what? i already have it? i can use it multiple times? sweet!

halo games in the past set limits and you had to work with those boundaries, but halo 4 takes those away and makes it convenient and pretty much has no limits. you can see through walls, start off with a mini shotgun (boltshot), a mini sniper (dmr), you’re pretty much the spartan that master chief never was. master chief doesn’t need all those fancy gadgets to win his fights. maybe a few things here and there for fun, but 343i took it to a whole new level.

don’t get me wrong, halo 4 is fun. but it’s not the same halo i grew up with. things change and i’ve learn to accept that. but when it comes to halo 4… past halo games still felt like halo due to certain factors that stayed, halo 4 changed it. if i had a choice, i would like halo 4 to take out all those perks and keep it simple. there’s too much randomness.

halo is not “halo” when you take out the core components that makes up for it. if i wanted to play other fps games that have perks, i’ll play those games. there’s a reason why i bought halo, because the experience is different; not because it’s similar to other typical shooting games.

NOTE: i combined many notes from other users who contributed to make this thread happen. thank you to those who helped!

EDIT: added “to me” in title thread so people don’t think i’m speaking for everybody else =)

TLDR version: halo 3.5 is what we need.

> TLDR version: halo 3.5 is what we need.

  1. That’s a bad thing?

  2. That isn’t what the OP is saying at all.

Firstly, don’t tell us what is and isn’t Halo, YOU cant tell us that.
Secondly, we dont need Halo 3.5, if we did we wouldnt have had a TU for 6 months.
Finally yes Halo 4 is FAST PACED… if you dont like fast paced then you should leave.

OP, you make some valid points however, what solidifies the “halo” feel for me is the bulk that I used to perceive from halo 1 & 2. ThT combined with the slower pace and weapon dynamics are what make the halo feel for me. That’s not even nostalgia talking, its just what it is…

> Firstly, don’t tell us what is and isn’t Halo, YOU cant tell us that.
> Secondly, we dont need Halo 3.5, if we did we wouldnt have had a TU for 6 months.
> Finally yes Halo 4 is FAST PACED… if you dont like fast paced then you should leave.

Why can’t he? It’s easy to list off the base mechanics of each game and make a comparison chart of what is different.

Is something Halo to you people just because it has it in the title and everything has Halo textures? I might as well go rename TF2 to “Halo Fortress 2” and reskin all the classes to be spartans.

People don’t necessarily have an issue with fast paced. They have an issue with RANDOM.

Everyone has different feelings of what Halo feels like. Some have extreme nostalgia over the BR, but I have nostalgia over the carbine. Sure, Halo 4 is fast paced, but is that bad? No, because Halo evolves.

> Firstly, don’t tell us what is and isn’t Halo, YOU cant tell us that.
> Secondly, we dont need Halo 3.5, if we did we wouldnt have had a TU for 6 months.
> Finally yes Halo 4 is FAST PACED… if you dont like fast paced then you should leave.

i have no right to tell you or others anything, you are correct; but when i bring factual information, THAT, i can say.
as for fast pace, that’s what other fps games are for. slower pace is what makes halo, well… halo. i remember playing cod world at war the first year it came out. had fun because it’s fast pace. i then jump into playing some halo 3 and realized how much slower it was and loved that i can tell the differences right away. there’s a distinct difference when you play any halo game.

edit: i forgot to mention that slapping on the title “halo 4” doesn’t neccessarily mean it’ll play like halo. of course it’ll have all the looks and weapons, but it’s missing the core components that makes it halo.

As I said in the last thread, your post is 100% true.

  • Another rant of mine that has nothing to with the thread -

This game might have the weakest ranking system I have ever seen, at least in past Halo games except H1 there was a Emblem (H2 a number that would later move onto a emblem for your rank, H3 Rank and Emblem, even though I hated Reach, there were emblems for the casual ranking it had) that went along with whatever else. In this game its just a measly boring SR -(Enter Number here).

Just boring and stale.

Just because the game is fast, doesnt make it “not Halo”, this is a NEW developer, the game will not feel like a Bungie game. Sure this will dissapoint people. But i KNEW that i should not have any expectations for this game.

Not having expectations and being non biased from the get go, allowed me to love this game. That and the slow pace of Halo 3 and Reach was quite boring after a while.

Halo 2 was the most bug filled, unbalanced, slow game i ever played… yet to this date it was my favourite multiplayer. It’s not about the mechanics or how the game plays, it’s the experience you get from playing it. And no comparison will ever show the exact reasons why.

  • You die too quick to think about how best to deal with the encounter.
    You’re not good enough
  • You don’t have a respawn time to think about what went wrong before you’re thrown back in.
    You can respawn any time you want so wait ten seconds if you feel like it
  • it’s all about go go go, faster pace mode
    So that is what intense military situations are about
  • Weapons in fixed locations on the map is gone. This might sound minor but it had a lot to do with map focus and how maps played out, even subconciously.
    It shouldn’t be about what you have but how you use it. Teams always camped power weapons in previous games. That is not skill.
  • halo 4 spoils the players; you can practically get any weapon/aa you want.
    not any weapon on some
  • no picking up nades from other players unless you have a perk etc. etc. All this weird stuff was not in Reach or any other Halo. All Reach had were bad AA’s and bloom, aside from that all was pretty much the same.
    Anyone can pick up grenades

> Just because the game is fast, doesnt make it “not Halo”, this is a NEW developer, the game will not feel like a Bungie game. Sure this will dissapoint people. But i KNEW that i should not have any expectations for this game.
>
> Not having expectations and being non biased from the get go, allowed me to love this game. That and the slow pace of Halo 3 and Reach was quite boring after a while.
>
> Halo 2 was the most bug filled, unbalanced, slow game i ever played… yet to this date it was my favourite multiplayer. It’s not about the mechanics or how the game plays, it’s the experience you get from playing it. And no comparison will ever show the exact reasons why.

i think we both can agree to disagree. thanks for your input, it’s good to see a different perspective. i still love halo and i can’t wait to see what 343i do with halo 5 and 6. i’ll most likely buy it for the campaign. if halo 4 mm plays the same in 5 and 6, i don’t know what to do… maybe suck it up and try to adapt? don’t know, it’s just not as fun (to me) and always makes me want to play a different game.

> It shouldn’t be about what you have but how you use it. Teams always camped power weapons in previous games. That is not skill.

Since this is a response to a quote I made in a separate thread, I feel obligated to respond:

This is just ignorant.

Do you mean to tell me people camped the Rocket Launcher on Prisoner which was easily sniped from above? Or the gravity hammer on guardian that is easily naded? Or the Sniper on Hang em High IN THE WIDE OPEN MIDDLE OF THE DAMN MAP? You people make it more obvious each post that you’ve never played a Halo game in your life.

This isn’t a skill argument though. It’s a strategy argument. There is no strategy when all the good weapons spawn on one team’s side of the map at random.

> Anyone can pick up grenades

You need the resupply perk to take nades off of dead enemies. Again, ignorance.

Yes, Halo is faster but I can still react. Saying that you get shot down before you have a chance to react is an exaggeration.

I like sprint, even if an enemy sprints he might not get away since shots slow down movement. It also gets me around the map quicker. However, I hate instant respawn. A timed respawn would/should balance sprint. So it’s the combination of these two in a game that I disagree with.

Weapons need tweaking, especially Boltshot. I really don’t have much else to say in regards to your other points because they are opinions in which I don’t agree or disagree with.

What feels like Halo to you might completely differ from the next guy. I for one do realize this game has changed but it is a necessary “evil” for a greater good. Halo WAS dying slowly in Bungie’s hands… this no longer is the case. Hope you enjoy the next game you decide to play.

> i posted this in a different thread, but the op never responded. so i’ll post it here in response to, “tell me how halo feels like”.
>
> the op and many others agreed that halo 4 felt like halo. but i’m here to disagree and say why halo 4 does not feel like halo.
>
> inpast halo games:
> - you always want to go faster but you don’t.
> - you get the feeling of cringing your teeth when you’re on the verge to make it over the cliff and you want to make it over, but you don’t know if you’ll make it.
> - the feeling after you die and want to get back into the fight, but you have to wait.

You know, by those very criteria the most Halo game is actually Section 8.

Maybe they need a little work…

People don’t necessarily have an issue with fast paced. They have an issue with RANDOM.

That was spot on. It is the RANDOM.

> Yes, Halo is faster but I can still react. Saying that you get shot down before you have a chance to react is an exaggeration.
>
> I like sprint, even if an enemy sprints he might not get away since shots slow down movement. It also gets me around the map quicker. However, I hate instant respawn. A timed respawn would/should balance sprint. So it’s the combination of these two in a game that I disagree with.
>
> Weapons need tweaking, especially Boltshot. I really don’t have much else to say in regards to your other points because they are opinions in which I don’t agree or disagree with.
>
> What feels like Halo to you might completely differ from the next guy. I for one do realize this game has changed but it is a necessary “evil” for a greater good. Halo WAS dying slowly in Bungie’s hands… this no longer is the case. <mark>Hope you enjoy the next game you decide to play.</mark>

looking forward to destiny. i hope it’s good.

Everything the OP said was so true.
And I don’t even have the game yet.

Where did this idea that Halo is supposed to be slow paced come from? Did everyone just forget about Halo CE? Even this 2v2 on one of the biggest “arena” maps is faster paced than most Halo 4 matches, and it managed to do it without a bunch of mechanics that water the game down without adding anything of value.

I’ll tell you that I was never a big fan of Halo 2 online, nor Halo 3. I loved Reach though. More to do with the movement, and “tactile” feel of everything though. Some with weapon balancing, but nothing to do with AA. I didn’t hate AAs, but I didn’t love them either.

All that being said, Halo 4 doesn’t really feel Halo. It feels like a Halo mod. Like somebody took a Halo engine, it’s physics, graphics, movement, ect and built their own MP with it.

When I heard about Infinity Slayer, and the ordinance drops, and random weapon drops, I thought it sounded interesting, but never thought it was going to be the main Halo 4 Slayer mode. I thought it would be like “TU Slayer” was in Reach. Not the standard, but there for people who wanted to play it.

It’s not that I think Halo 4 needs to feel like Halo, but since it feels like it was made using a Halo game, it should more closely resemble Halo. The maps and weapons do not really suit the style they were going for. I wouldn’t play COD on Guardian, and I wouldn’t play Halo on Crash. And yet Halo 4 seems to be this Halo/COD hybrid game, and it just never feels fully right. To me Halo 4 should have felt much more like traditional Halo, or much less like a Halo.

I have no issues with Halo being taken in a different direction. Every Halo game has had differences from each other. Some small, some not so small (depending on who you ask). It’s not like the servers for Halo 3 or Reach have been removed. Heck on the weekly XBL list Reach is still in the top 20 games play online.