How 343 can better utilize the Ice Unicorn Skin

Ive talked about this (small) issue about a weapon skin in Halo 5 before and that’s the 343 Ice Skin. You may think that this is an overreaction over a weapon skin, but I believe, with 343’s corporation, we can utilize this skin a better way. I’m not suggesting, in any way, they we give this skin away to people for not doing anything, (which in a way, is how it is now).

So, what is wrong with this system on how to get the 343 Ice Assault Rifle skin?

Number 1: Luck,luck,luck
In order to unlock this weapon skin, you have to match the 343 team during a community playdate through the matchmaking system. This has a number of problems that are so frustrating and are unfair. First off, people in certain parts of the world such as Europe have a much harder chance of matching 343 to get this skin because of server location and time zones. It’s nearly impossible. Second, and this has happened not once or twice, but MULTIPLE times. People can match 343 more than once easily when these community playdates happen. You only need to match them once to get the skin. In the Halloween playdate that occurred this past Halloween, Unyshek and Grim expressed that 100 players will be getting the weapon skin since it was just them in the lobby. But, 100 players did not get the skin, between 90-94 did. How is this? Because multiple people matched them twice, taking other people’s chance at the skin. How does anyone think that this is fair? It isn’t. Ske7ch, the community manager, has expressed that the chances of that happening is extremely small, but that is just simply not true. This has happened during multiple playdates, not just the Halloween one. Also if you can’t get online for the playdate at that certain date and time, then there goes your chance. You have to wait for the next time they have one, and that’s if you even get lucky enough to match them.

Number 2: Are you really earning the skin?

Since earning the weapon skin is all about getting lucky, it makes the skin less impressive. If someone has the skin in game, I don’t look at them like “Wow, that person accomplished something to earn that skin”. I think “ That person just got lucky”. This isn’t the case for the 343 Fire Skin which ACTUALLY REQUIRES you do something and earn it,(You have to have something featured in a community update. Clip, map, picture, etc).

When these skins were announced, I actually thought I would never get the Fire Skin and thought the “requirements” for the Ice skin were shady. Im trying to approach this from an unbiased position. Yes, I have the Fire skin and not the Ice skin. Again, Im not pleading that 343 gives this skin away. That defeats the whole purpose of this piece. All I want is for a fair, rewarding way of earning the Ice skin just like there is with the Fire skin.

Now, here are my ideas 343 can use to replace the community playdate system:

Idea 1: Community challenge.

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 has done this with weapon skins. So, why not use that idea, but tweak it a little? It gets the community involved and on a united front to achieving an awesome goal. 343 sets it, and the community has to achieve it in a given amount of time. It could be that the community has to get 700,000 kills or headshots in Multiplayer (Warzone or Arena). Another idea is that community has to complete a certain amount of games. With this however, people who participate a certain amount should get the skin if the ultimate goal is completed. You shouldn’t give it to people who don’t participate at all. That kills the rarity of the skin. The Ice and Fire skins are designed around the community. This idea completely fits the sense of community, rather that the current system. This can also combat the population problem during that time for certain playlists.

Idea 2: Give the skin to people who are Rank 152.

Now, this may sound a bit biased since I am 152, but when I became 152, I didn’t feel nearly as accomplished as I should have. Your prize for getting 152 is the Mantle emblem (Its secondary color system is broken by the way). In Halo Reach, you got the Haunted Helmet when you reached Inheritor. You should feel a great sense of accomplishment and receive a kick -Yoink- reward for earning 50 million XP, and in my opinion, you don’t feel that since one, its a number, and you don’t get anything truly rewarding for it. This also wouldn’t be giving away the skin either, since a little more than 200 people are SR 152 Thats just another idea, but it’s not my first choice. This will entice people to grind out for 152 more because you don’t just get an emblem, but a cool weapon skin too. I know that this raises some conflict since some people already have the skin, but it’s better than what we have now in my opinion.

Idea 3: Make it the skin purchasable, BUT not with real money.

This is my last idea. Grim has talked about that 343 has considered this avenue, but I want to propose my version. Once you get everything in the game, REQ points become useless. So, why not make the skin purchasable for a large amount of REQ points? Ideally, I think it should cost around 2-3 Million REQ Points. What this does is that for people who have saved up a lot of REQ points, can now spend them. Also, for people who don’t, they now have something to grind for, encourage more people to play more. I can’t express enough that you SHOULD NOT be able to purchase this skin for real money. That completely ruins the value and rarity of this skin.

Well, that’s my piece. I hope 343 seriously considers these ideas because its a missed opportunity that can spark some excitement in Halo 5 for the community as a whole. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I feel there should be other ways to earn both of the skins.
I was very lucky when I got my ice unicorn skin because I’m from Europe but I’ve had friends who have tried to get the skin numerous times and failed.
As for the fire skin, I’ve seen people try submitting their screenshots for almost a year and have no luck but I see the same people getting in the community updates. Seeing that puts me off trying to get it.
I think that 152 should give the skins, mantle emblem is underwhelming. I took mine off after a week or two and the skins actually look nice

They should just keep it luck-based. If you match them, cool. If you don’t, better luck next time. Sounds like the Fire Skin is luck-based as well, so they got a good thing going here.

> 2586218893181855;3:
> They should just keep it luck-based. If you match them, cool. If you don’t, better luck next time. Sounds like the Fire Skin is luck-based as well, so they got a good thing going here.

I disagree. We have enough luck based items in Halo 5 with the REQ system. The Ice skin is a community based skin and 343 could do a much better job with it. As for the Fire Skin, I mostly disagree because you still have to make something cool enough to be submitted.

It’s fine how it is as a reward for matching 343 in mm. If you don’t like unearned luck-based armor unlocking, I would recommend avoiding H5 since that’s pretty much the system. Or at least try not to invest in it so much.

> 2533274803493024;5:
> It’s fine how it is as a reward for matching 343 in mm. If you don’t like unearned luck-based armor unlocking, I would recommend avoiding H5 since that’s pretty much the system. Or at least try not to invest in it so much.

Thats a completely unreasonable solution. No one should avoid the game because it has taken a step back in that department. Also, it isn’t a “reward”. You didn’t do anything to earn it. Again, we have enough of that in this game.

The only thing I may change about how to get the skin now is that you should have to beat the 343 team, not just play against them. Although I do wish I would get something else for reaching 152 other than that emblem I’m going to use for a single day when I get it.

I think it’s fine as is…well sort of. It’s fine as is because life in gaming isn’t always fair. Not every thing has to be fair. But making it available in some sort of req pack or whatever wouldn’t be bad. They left nothing to be earned in H5 except, Achilles, which isn’t truly earned either IMO. Some one could join a Spartan company never play H5 again and as long as that company don’t give them the boot they could get Achilles. But I am still a bit bitter from them ruining Helioskrill and the sticker shock skins so that is why I hope they just release every thing in a req pack.

I agree that there should be more ways than one to get the skin. With the way the matching is set up, parties will likely match them first and I’m guessing I’ll hardly match servers on the west coast when I play so matching them will be slim. On numerous occasions, I’ve even waited until they started searching before I did my search to no avail.

> 2533274816788253;8:
> I think it’s fine as is…well sort of. It’s fine as is because life in gaming isn’t always fair. Not every thing has to be fair. But making it available in some sort of req pack or whatever wouldn’t be bad. They left nothing to be earned in H5 except, Achilles, which isn’t truly earned either IMO. Some one could join a Spartan company never play H5 again and as long as that company don’t give them the boot they could get Achilles. But I am still a bit bitter from them ruining Helioskrill and the sticker shock skins so that is why I hope they just release every thing in a req pack.

Yeah they should have never opened the HelioSkrill can of worms. I would say a lot of the people who got the Achilles truly earned it. Many people were dropped from Company’s if they didn’t pull their weight. Sure there is that GF of the Leader who mails in 4 matches of Grifball every other week but there are way more cases of people working hard for Achilles then sitting on the bench and hope they don’t get booted scenarios.