"Hornet" - Bring it back, or not?

Playing almost exclusively Firefight lately, I felt the need to have an aerial vehicle that could transport people and also giving them the option of defending themselves/the vehicle against aerial threats, say, the Phaeton. Valuable time is also lost when recently deceased teammates spawn on the other end of where the action is, which a flying transport would help immensely with – if teammates could coordinate and set up pickup/drop points.

Of course, Firefight maps aren’t that huge, so a flying transport would almost feel like a cheat in some instances. Also, some dogfights could become way easier, and possibly passengers armed with highly lethal weapons could be, practically, raining death from above.

How do you balance it out? Make it an Ultra Rare Lv. 7-8 REQ, to ensure it’s only used when really needed, it’s not given out in abundance, and it’s used by good-performing team members – so that the team has to “sacrifice” that member to the pilot’s seat. I also see it only get some use on Wave 5 Mythic bosses – no point sacrificing the card for something you can handle anyway, right?

Sound off! Do you like the rough idea behind this? Would you like to see the Hornet back in service, or something similar? Do you feel it would break Firefight’s difficulty?

Why not? Heck even the falcon would be fun. Maybe halo 6 though, if they do that we might even see those in campaign!

> 2533274847563380;2:
> Why not? Heck even the falcon would be fun. Maybe halo 6 though, if they do that we might even see those in campaign!

Agreed! I like the more open-ended campaign levels, and if done correctly, a level incorporating Hornets would be amazing.

Yeah I’d say the falcon. Maybe the normal variant from reach, with an unarmed pilot and two side gunners, a variant with a nose gun for the pilot, and a variant that can carry two passengers in addition to the side gunners(the passengers can shoot their weapons) That would make for a very formidable force if the passengers were carrying something like rocket launchers, and it would allow for some very interesting custom games.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

F ucks me why they didn’t have the hornet. Everyone loves it and the wasp is trash

You’re making the hornet sound like a lethal air vehicle when it really never was, and doing so now just takes away from its original purpose.

the issue I see is no one will use it for transport anyways, look the warthog which used to always have 3 guys but now isn’t really used much unless it’s ctf. The issue with transport vehicles as a whole in today’s halo is the vehicles are to weak. It’s to easy to kill the gunners, and focused fire from standard weapons can actually do quite a bit of damage even to heavy vehicles. That’s the hornets biggest issue and it’s partly probably why 343 haven’t really tried adding vehicles that can transport other players. The system needs to change to make the hornet or any transportational vehicle actually worth using.

Lets use your firefight reference. While it is a good idea to get people carried across the map (it’s much faster) the A.I. Are heavy damage dealers as is, and the higher the difficulty (mythic for example) the less viable they are to use. I’ve been in banshees that get annihilated by A.I. In seconds if out in the open which is what most air vehicles HAVE to do.

im not vs adding it, but I seriously don’t think it can work in halo 5 without changes to how the vehicles play. Halo reach-5 have all progressively gotten worse on this and it’s why vehicles get neglected so much nowadays.

> 2533274826612929;5:
>

Wasp is badass if you know how to use it…

> 2533274923926799;7:
> > 2533274826612929;5:
> >
>
> Wasp is badass if you know how to use it…

It’s good for swarms, hence the name wasp. Lol

I can see why someone would hate it if they went at it alone.

Is the hornet piloted the same as the wasp?

> 2533274923562209;6:
> You’re making the hornet sound like a lethal air vehicle when it really never was… …neglected so much nowadays.

I see your point, well-written response!

Sadly, what you say is true; it can’t exist in today’s Halo 5 unless dramatic changes are made to the whole unit infrastructure, with sweeping changes to everything, from guns to vehicles. It boggles the mind, how they managed to introduce pretty welcome changes to Firefight, but neglected to add a solid variety of vehicles of various purposes, and make them viable. While traversal is objectively better and fluid, going anywhere on-foot in a wave that lasts just 5 minutes, is not a great option. There just is a huge focus on infantry, instead of a balanced attention to both vehicular and man-to-man combat.

Hey, maybe they can see some use in Halo 6? One can only hope!

Keep the wasp in 6, we need more UNSC aircraft.

> 2533274882652909;1:
> Playing almost exclusively Firefight lately, I felt the need to have an aerial vehicle that could transport people and also giving them the option of defending themselves/the vehicle against aerial threats, say, the Phaeton. Valuable time is also lost when recently deceased teammates spawn on the other end of where the action is, which a flying transport would help immensely with – if teammates could coordinate and set up pickup/drop points.
>
> Of course, Firefight maps aren’t that huge, so a flying transport would almost feel like a cheat in some instances. Also, some dogfights could become way easier, and possibly passengers armed with highly lethal weapons could be, practically, raining death from above.
>
> How do you balance it out? Make it an Ultra Rare Lv. 7-8 REQ, to ensure it’s only used when really needed, it’s not given out in abundance, and it’s used by good-performing team members – so that the team has to “sacrifice” that member to the pilot’s seat. I also see it only get some use on Wave 5 Mythic bosses – no point sacrificing the card for something you can handle anyway, right?
>
> Sound off! Do you like the rough idea behind this? Would you like to see the Hornet back in service, or something similar? Do you feel it would break Firefight’s difficulty?

I’d prefer the Falcon as it was actually a more transport or teamwork oriented vehicle rather than the hornet which people just hopped in and went on sprees by themselves. Not to mention the Wasp is basically the Hornet just without seats, and so the hornets style of play wouldn’t really be necessary.

Also, 7-8 REQ’s? That’s extremely overpriced for a vehicle that could get shot down within seconds by AI, or be a death trap for passengers in normal warzone. If it was ever a REQ(which I’m hoping it wont be unless the Falcon comes back), it should be either 4-5, and thats only if it gets more armor than the Wasp.

Hornet is one of my favorite Halo vehicles. Falcon-fans can step TF off.

I mean sure, add the free triple kill back into the game. I’ll save splasers all the time to shoot them down.

Yeah I’d love to see it back, I would be nice to have a heavy unsc air vehicle to could combat a banshee

Definitely would love to see it back. Lots of fun memories with it on Spire back on Reach!

I’d rather have a falcon i think it would be more balanced. Hornet was op back on the old halos. They could nerf it but I think 343 would ruin it someway shape or form. Falcon has the 3 passenger seats and two gunners on the side. Or take those out and make it purely a transport vehicle where you have the 5 passenger seats and then driver

> 2533274923562209;6:
> You’re making the hornet sound like a lethal air vehicle when it really never was, and doing so now just takes away from its original purpose.
>
> the issue I see is no one will use it for transport anyways, look the warthog which used to always have 3 guys but now isn’t really used much unless it’s ctf. The issue with transport vehicles as a whole in today’s halo is the vehicles are to weak. It’s to easy to kill the gunners, and focused fire from standard weapons can actually do quite a bit of damage even to heavy vehicles. That’s the hornets biggest issue and it’s partly probably why 343 haven’t really tried adding vehicles that can transport other players. The system needs to change to make the hornet or any transportational vehicle actually worth using.
>
> Lets use your firefight reference. While it is a good idea to get people carried across the map (it’s much faster) the A.I. Are heavy damage dealers as is, and the higher the difficulty (mythic for example) the less viable they are to use. I’ve been in banshees that get annihilated by A.I. In seconds if out in the open which is what most air vehicles HAVE to do.
>
> im not vs adding it, but I seriously don’t think it can work in halo 5 without changes to how the vehicles play. Halo reach-5 have all progressively gotten worse on this and it’s why vehicles get neglected so much nowadays.

Very much want this. But I see your point about the vehicles being too weak.

What I specifically want though is a vehicle where the Spartan riders aren’t limited to turrets – meaning I could board a fellow player’s vehicle with my own weapons, and fire/crouch/move around freely, within the vehicle space. Kind of like those smaller Covenant ships…I forget the name but I’m referring to the one you board and take out the enemies inside. Obviously those are quite large so we’d be looking at something much smaller.

I can stand on a Wasp if the pilot doesn’t move much, but as soon as it goes into regular combat movements, Spartan usually falls off lol. That’s where I’m saying there should be a variant where the Spartan can attach themselves to the vehicle.

I would love to see the Falcon return, since it followed the UNSC vehicle mentality of needing to work as a team. That’s how USNC vehicles always worked (even the Hornet was great for flag captures on Avalanche due to having side seats), and the Wasp feels a bit off by being a single seater vehicle.

That being said, are there not invisible vehicles in Forge now? It would be cool to see a hack-a-Hornet version of the Wasp where you have two invisible Mongooses fused to each wing of the Wasp, with only the passenger seats being accessible, creating a Hornet-like version of the Wasp. It’s not the best solution by any means, but at least it’s something? Could be fun to try out.

Would love to see the Hornet in Halo 5!