Hope halo 4 has NO... "Film Grain"

Has anyone noticed that in halo reach there was a film grain while playing.

Halo 3 didnt have a film grain and i hope halo 4 doesnt.

You can notice it on your screen but can see it better if your looking
at a dark surface like shadows.

just a simple option to turn it on or off would be nice.

What do you guys think? do you hope there is no film grain in halo 4?

If i’m correct as to what it is, then yes i think Halo 4 should have it, it increases detail in objects, rather than them being just blur when you get close

yes Reach had to give a more dramatic look and I hope Halo 4 doesn’t have…

The film grain never bugged me in Reach (which is wierd since I usually hate it), so I wouldn’t mind if they brought it back for 4. That being said,I don’t think it’ll be in, since H4 seems to be going for a “cleaner” art style than Reach, which was trying to be gritty and more “realistic”.

Now motion blur, that’s what I’m really worried about. Hopefully 343 has at least toned it down a couple notches

> If i’m correct as to what it is, then yes i think Halo 4 should have it, it increases detail in objects, rather than them being just blur when you get close

I has nothing to do with making things look more detailed. It was a simple effect that made you feel like you were behind a visor. i just want an option to turn it off.

While film grain isn’t necessarily a big deal, unless it’s heavily implemented in Halo 4 I think it’s fine. Otherwise a toggle on and off would be nice.

> While film grain isn’t necessarily a big deal, unless it’s heavily implemented in Halo 4 I think it’s fine. Otherwise a toggle on and off would be nice.

yes a toggle on or off would make me happy.

I really dont like this effect and i want it to be an option for
players that dont want it.

your a spartan and your visor isnt an old camcorder lol

Yea it would be ok i never noticed it in halo reach so it doesn’t matter to me

I noticed it and yeah I hope it doesn’t make a return

> I noticed it and yeah I hope it doesn’t make a return

you and me both man

Never noticed that but an option to turn it off would be great if it makes a return.

What I’m most excited about is that (and I don’t know all the specific details) the Reach anti-aliasing method is gone, which frequently resulted in reticule/HUD “ghosting” when turning around quickly, among other issues. I just got a brand new LED Samsung TV 240Hz and I immediately noticed these “glitches” where my reticule would leave trails when I spun around quickly, almost like the “shadow movies” in Street Fighter, or Johnny Cage’s “Shadow Kick” move in Mortal Kombat (yeah, old school, I know lol).

Halo reach looks really noisy in terms of graphics and such. Halo 4 might be clearer.

Explain to me…this “film grain”

> Explain to me…this “film grain”

film grain is an effect that most old camcorders have. Its like fuzzy small particles that you can see moving around the screen. Almost like you can see individual pixels that are moving.

If you search film grain then you will find out what im talking about

Didn’t see it while playing on the PAX build.

> > Explain to me…this “film grain”
>
> film grain is an effect that most old camcorders have. Its like fuzzy small particles that you can see moving around the screen. Almost like you can see individual pixels that are moving.
>
> If you search film grain then you will find out what im talking about

Ohh I know what you mean.

Yeah non of that!

I have never liked film grain… if it makes it into Halo 4, I’d like to be able to shut it off.

Having said that though from what I’ve seen it looks crisp and clear so it’s either turned off or very subtle.

there was film grain in reach? whaa?

Eh, the film grain in Reach was barely noticeable, I think there was some in ODST too. Though Halo 4 looks like it’s going for a cleaner, sleeker art style than other Halo games, so perhaps it won’t be there.