Honest Question For 343i

Not taking any shots at 343i or trying to be negative in any way, but I am genuinely curious about one thing.

It’s widely known that Infinite was delayed a year from holiday 2020 due to massive fan criticism over the initial gameplay reveal.

My question is, with core (core to Halo at least) experiences still being left out at launch (Co-op, Forge), what state did you guys really plan on releasing the game in last year if there was no outcry by fans?

Were there no lessons learned from the launch of MCC? I’m honestly struggling to imagine the game experience that 343i was apparently totally fine releasing prior to the delay.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274821210403;1:
> Not taking any shots at 343i or trying to be negative in any way, but I am genuinely curious about one thing.
>
> It’s widely known that Infinite was delayed a year from holiday 2020 due to massive fan criticism over the initial gameplay reveal.
> My question is, with core (core to Halo at least) experiences still being left out at launch (Co-op, Forge), what state did you guys really plan on releasing the game in last year if there was no outcry by fans?
>
> Were there no lessons learned from the launch of MCC? I’m honestly struggling to imagine the game experience that 343i was apparently totally fine releasing prior to the delay.

They don’t care they just want your money.lol
343 has never put out a good Halo game. Bonnie Ross is Kathleen Kennedy on crack.

I have no idea, and frankly I don’t wanna know.

I consider myself to be a optimists when it comes to Halo infinite but I agree that if it was released last year people would be livid.

Of course it would’ve been an absolute trainwreck. But I do believe there were already plans to delay the game, the reaction to the demo accelerated that decision, i think. Because I know they themselves knew how unprepared the game was.

> 2535448497705415;5:
> Of course it would’ve been an absolute trainwreck. But I do believe there were already plans to delay the game, the reaction to the demo accelerated that decision, i think. Because I know they themselves knew how unprepared the game was.

Sad. Almost as if they were using the fans’ reaction to guage just how little effort they could get away with. And can you believe that people were actually defending the July 2020 demo?

> 2535421108515819;6:
> > 2535448497705415;5:
> > Of course it would’ve been an absolute trainwreck. But I do believe there were already plans to delay the game, the reaction to the demo accelerated that decision, i think. Because I know they themselves knew how unprepared the game was.
>
> Sad. Almost as if they were using the fans’ reaction to guage just how little effort they could get away with. And can you believe that people were actually defending the July 2020 demo?

Eh, I did think graphics aside it was a cool presentation. I don’t think they would’ve dropped a half-baked looking game.

They’re putting as much effort they can into this now. So I’m focused on that.

The production lead of the project lost his position last year after the July demo (Chris Lee). What more do you honestly want?

I think people throwing shade at Bonnie Ross don’t probably understand her role. She probably gave the green light for HW2, the revival of MCC, moving MCC onto PC, making Infinite a F2P multiplayer, and delaying an extra year. Do any of those sound like she made poor decisions as a studio leader. (Ie, not developer)

Do you want evidence that 343 wasn’t totally fine with Infinite launching last year? It didn’t launch.

> 2614366390849210;8:
> The production lead of the project lost his position last year after the July demo (Chris Lee). What more do you honestly want?
>
> I think people throwing shade at Bonnie Ross don’t probably understand her role. She probably gave the green light for HW2, the revival of MCC, moving MCC onto PC, making Infinite a F2P multiplayer, and delaying an extra year. Do any of those sound like she made poor decisions as a studio leader. (Ie, not developer)
>
> Do you want evidence that 343 wasn’t totally fine with Infinite launching last year? It didn’t launch.

I dont believe she can decide if a game gets delayed, thats Phil Spencer

Honest guess would be what was stated at the time and that would be a multiplayer only release.

Somewhere down the line if it were me I’d have added in the campaign Act by Act.

> 2533274821210403;1:
> It’s widely known that Infinite was delayed a year from holiday 2020 due to massive fan criticism over the initial gameplay reveal.
> My question is, with core (core to Halo at least) experiences still being left out at launch (Co-op, Forge), what state did you guys really plan on releasing the game in last year if there was no outcry by fans?

I think everyone overplays the fan criticism in the delay.

Don’t get me wrong… there were clearly problems. I hated the level of pop in (grass / clouds), the flight path of the vehicle was apalling, and the textures needed work. Some or most of this was probably fixable by the end of 2020.

We don’t know how close Campaign and Multiplayer were to releasable. The former at least sounded pretty much done (according to Staten after coming on board).

Ok… so Forge was clearly nowhere near ready to go… and that sucks… and that was probably the ‘discussion’ 343 had about releasing the game in parts last year.

In the meantime they have been polishing and buffing. Especially multiplayer. We may not have had bots to this level last year… so there is a bonus. And I’m hoping that the delay = more and better maps at release.

In regards to Campaign it sounds like they changed tact a bit on the open-world aspect. Staten appears to be a huge fan… so you can imagine him coming in and going were can we open this up some more? As a result of embracing this aspect they lost control of the spawn system. They probably didn’t expect this and they couldn’t fix it in time. That sucks… but that happens sometimes with games. It’s coming.

So, bottom line. If they had of released in 2020 we’d probably have got MP without bots (or at least bots a year behind in development) and a Campaign with co-op but less emphasis on open world gameplay. We wouldn’t have got Forge.

Relax and embrace the extra time they’ve got.

> 2533274821210403;1:
> Not taking any shots at 343i or trying to be negative in any way, but I am genuinely curious about one thing.
>
>
> Were there no lessons learned from the launch of MCC? I’m honestly struggling to imagine the game experience that 343i was apparently totally fine releasing prior to the delay.

From my understanding, once Joe Statan was brought on board, the campaign went under a bit of an overhaul.
We don’t know what state the games was in back when they decided to delay. Maybe changes to the game are what what caused many of the issues they are having now? Like co-op could have been working fine last year, and the introduction of a new mechanic or slight structure change made after the delay is what caused the issues.

> 2533274821210403;1:
>
>

To be honest I think Halo Infinite was never really going to launch last year.
Games have target dates and Halo just wasn’t making it.
There were rumours from credible sources reporting that the game would be delayed back in April of 2020 - the fact it was then delayed after the Xbox showcase was no surprise for those who were following those leads.

I think Xbox were in the tough position of needing to show Halo Infinite at the Xbox Showcase due to its target date being 2020 and hype from fans, it was better to show the game looking rough than to delay it before the Xbox Showcase without showing anything of the game at all - leading to a possible even bigger mess and more worry from the community.

Who knows. All I know is they have a lot to live up to with Infinite. I personally don’t care for forge or co op but they are delays none the less. If campaign and multiplayer aren’t absolutely blow out of the water awesome on launch they are going to have relentless trouble with a good portion of the community. Basically solidifying the outrage.

the situation is involved more than just 343i chaotic mismanagement, some of them are truly microsoft’s fault.
there is a Microsoft company policy is that contract employees cannot be on contract for more than 18 months so it means they need a 6 month break to be able to work on the project again, which causing people stress to find a job in that 18 month periods instead of focusing on making a great game, and on top of that if studio or company facing a bad management desicion you can expect everything going in a wrong direction.
this is one of the cons :

• The 18-month expiration date. As of July 2017 Microsoft has a rule that states that contractors can only work in their role for 18 months before they need to take a 6 month break before coming back. There are some exceptions to this rule, the main ones being Managed Service positions that can stay on network indefinitely, and continuing roles off-network where the contractor can effectively work with an agency email address with no access to network tools and resources. The broad reality here is that you’ve got about a year and a half to do your job well, get the experience you want, and find something else outside of Microsoft. Some people budget knowing this and collect unemployment during their 6-month break. Other people simply move on to other roles. While this regular job search helps to keep you constantly looking and learning, it’s ultimately stressful on you and your family to be on the job market on such a regular basis. My advice is to focus on the contract at hand monogamously for the first year, but after 12 months it might be a good idea to start putting feelers out and updating your resume. A year is plenty of time to really commit to a role and to see if there are any options, but don’t lose sight of the expiration date.you can read the whole thing here :

this is the evidence that i showed couple day ago why 343i is in this situation :

so it’s just more than you think is involved.

And it was all complicated by;

1. The Xbox Series S/X… Microsoft were desperate for Halo to be a flagship game on release.

2. COVID… Working from home put a lot of projects under pressure.

> 2533274843630494;9:
> > 2614366390849210;8:
> > The production lead of the project lost his position last year after the July demo (Chris Lee). What more do you honestly want?
> >
> > I think people throwing shade at Bonnie Ross don’t probably understand her role. She probably gave the green light for HW2, the revival of MCC, moving MCC onto PC, making Infinite a F2P multiplayer, and delaying an extra year. Do any of those sound like she made poor decisions as a studio leader. (Ie, not developer)
> >
> > Do you want evidence that 343 wasn’t totally fine with Infinite launching last year? It didn’t launch.
>
> I dont believe she can decide if a game gets delayed, thats Phil Spencer

Decisions like that are made by executive teams, not one person (for games as high profile as Infinite). Bonnie Ross 100% could have told Joseph Staten “I don’t care what it looks like, launch the game this year.” As the studio head, she can have a final go/no-go decision before the delay request goes to Phil.

Joe S. probably convinced Bonnie that it was the best decision for the game, and then they both would have gone to Phil to convince him as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if it also had to go to Satia Nadella as at least an “inform” as well.

> 2614366390849210;8:
> The production lead of the project lost his position last year after the July demo (Chris Lee). What more do you honestly want?
>
> I think people throwing shade at Bonnie Ross don’t probably understand her role. She probably gave the green light for HW2, the revival of MCC, moving MCC onto PC, making Infinite a F2P multiplayer, and delaying an extra year. Do any of those sound like she made poor decisions as a studio leader. (Ie, not developer)
>
> Do you want evidence that 343 wasn’t totally fine with Infinite launching last year? It didn’t launch.

I’d be weary on the Bonnie Ross thing, for all the good she might’ve done she’s also been in charge for the bad🤷‍♀️ Sure Mcc was revived but it was launched how it did under her, and for 3 years it remained broken till they really got into fixing it up. It goes both ways when you’re the head of a company and Bonnie isn’t just a higher up at 343 but she’s also the Vice President of Microsoft Xbox games studios which is the publisher for 343.

> 2533274923562209;18:
> > 2614366390849210;8:
> > The production lead of the project lost his position last year after the July demo (Chris Lee). What more do you honestly want?
> >
> > I think people throwing shade at Bonnie Ross don’t probably understand her role. She probably gave the green light for HW2, the revival of MCC, moving MCC onto PC, making Infinite a F2P multiplayer, and delaying an extra year. Do any of those sound like she made poor decisions as a studio leader. (Ie, not developer)
> >
> > Do you want evidence that 343 wasn’t totally fine with Infinite launching last year? It didn’t launch.
>
> I’d be weary on the Bonnie Ross thing, for all the good she might’ve done she’s also been in charge for the bad🤷‍♀️ Sure Mcc was revived but it was launched how it did under her, and for 3 years it remained broken till they really got into fixing it up. It goes both ways when you’re the head of a company and Bonnie isn’t just a higher up at 343 but she’s also the Vice President of Microsoft Xbox games studios which is the publisher for 343.

This is true that she was at the helm for the MCC launch, which was probably the second worst AAA game launch in history (thanks for taking the crown CP2077).

I personally cut MCC’s launch a little slack because I can’t even imagine how complex the code tree for that game must be. I know and understand that’s not the case for everyone though, and people are right to hold their opinion that it didn’t have launched in the state it did if they choose to.

The company internal application I support in my job is relatively simple, and our code tree is pretty hard for a new person to really effectively work with until they’ve had ~1 year exposure to everything. So MCC must be just absolutely crazy.

> 2533274821210403;1:
>
>

not wanting to be boring but apparently only the game menu was ready