Hologram should improve from Reach

Hologram was an underpowered Armour Ability in Reach, in fact the least powerful in my opinion. As it is going to be in Halo 4, it could do with some improvements.

In Reach, I might have been fooled by Hologram once or twice a game if someone decided to use it. Its uses were few and far between, and my preferred use was to check if the way was clear. If someone is hiding around the corner, send out a hologram. The classic example is yellow lift on Swordbase. Send a Hologram in, see if it survives or if is sliced up by an Energy Sword. However, it sounds as if Forerunner vision will fill this niche, so Hologram has to find a new use.

Hologram is intended to work as a Decoy. You shoot the Hologram, I shoot you. Of course, there are various giveaways that you are facing a Hologram to the point where it is useless. Here are some of my problems with it and some proposed buffs/fixes.

It walks in a straight line
How often do you walk in a dead straight line, staring straight ahead, doing no other action? The fix for this is to make it move in a more realistic way. Obviously, the best solution would be to give a Hologram its own AI, sort of like a pacifist bot. However, this seems an unreasonable amount of work for 343 for one Armour Ability. So, I would use a scripted but seemingly random walk for the Hologram. Like assassinations in Reach, Holograms could have a selection of random animations for getting from A to B. Of course they are limited in number, but if 343 were to make the animations players moving along a straight line, but deviating from it slightly, looking around, a weapon reload as well as the various other actions that players do, it could fool more people. It would operate the same as in Reach, but would get to where you placed its endpoint in a more realistic way. Also, it is inevitable that if you aim a Hologram at a wall, it will stare at said wall. I would personally make it crouch once it reaches the wall and look around until it expires. Again, it’s more realistic.

It uses no Armour Ability
While not everyone uses an AA constantly, everyone has sprint in Halo 4. As such, I would prefer it if holograms could be made to sprint. Simply press the Sprint and Armour Ability buttons simultaneously, and your Hologram would sprint off. Again, if someone is more likely to sprint in a given situation, a sprinting hologram is more realistic and so more likely to fool someone.

It’s the same guy every time
In Reach, I have a Red Flaming Helmet. It’s awesome. But it’s awesome because it is distinctive. If I use that Armour Effect along with Hologram, players tend to remember that a Red Flaming Helmet is probably a Hologram. For Halo 4, I would make the Hologram randomly take on the appearance of any team member of the user. That way, it keeps the element of surprise.

It appears grey on the motion tracker
I would prefer it if it was Red. It would make it more likely to fool campers.

Those are my ideas for the moment. I thought about the ability to put multiple markers down for it to go to in order, but I figured things were getting a little complicated. Please add any of your own ideas, and thanks for reading.

TL,DR: Hologram was underpowered in Reach. It needs to behave more like an actual player in Halo 4.

Agreed.

It’s great if you leave it just poking out from cover. Usually takes a grenade or two. I also like using it to make the enemy waste a Sniper bullet or Rocket.

Also.

Agree.
I made a thread like this awhile back but it got buried under the complaint threads.
Sweet seeing a thread like this, yours is way more detailed then mine was.

One change I’d like is an addition of a friendly triangle over the holograms created by allies as I tend to discern friend from foe in Halo via those triangles so I sometimes shoot my allies fake outs >.>

> It’s great if you leave it just poking out from cover. Usually takes a grenade or two. I also like using it to make the enemy waste a Sniper buller or Rocket.
>
> Also.

I’m hoping it would be a bit more likely to take a rocket if it’s more realistic.
Also, that vid is epic.

> Agree.
> I made a thread like this awhile back but it got buried under the complaint threads.
> Sweet seeing a thread like this, yours is way more detailed then mine was.

Could you link it? I’d be interested to see.

EDIT: Found it.

A bit of a strange thread. The poll suggested people think the Hologram could do with improving, but a lot of the comments suggested otherwise.

> One change I’d like is an addition of a friendly triangle over the holograms created by allies as I tend to discern friend from foe in Halo via those triangles so I sometimes shoot my allies fake outs >.>

I’m going to take a geuss and say you have an abnormally large amount of betrayals dont you…

OT: Great ideas, but here is one more. Reticle goes red when you aim at a hologram. Reaches hologram doesnt do this, so all it takes is one point and the realization that by now it would have shot you, adn then you dont fall for it.

It should go red and show a name. Heck, it could say hologram in red letters and most people would still fall for it. I mean, i never pay attention to the name of the person who’s head i’m about to blow off.

Silent

> > One change I’d like is an addition of a friendly triangle over the holograms created by allies as I tend to discern friend from foe in Halo via those triangles so I sometimes shoot my allies fake outs >.>
>
> I’m going to take a geuss and say you have an abnormally large amount of betrayals dont you…
>
> OT: Great ideas, but here is one more. Reticle goes red when you aim at a hologram. Reaches hologram doesnt do this, so all it takes is one point and the realization that by now it would have shot you, adn then you dont fall for it.
>
> It should go red and show a name. Heck, it could say hologram in red letters and most people would still fall for it. I mean, i never pay attention to the name of the person who’s head i’m about to blow off.
>
> Silent

I never even noticed this. Shows how often I come up against Holograms. I would definitely put these in.

Agreed entirely. Although I played last night and I’m 99% sure a hologram showed as red on the radar.

These are some amazing ideas OP, but damn. It’s only meant to be a hologram, not some shadow clone. I like the idea of it having a more realistic movement pattern, but showing up red on the radar and stuff is a little too far.

That would be cool but it still should be used as a AA

> > One change I’d like is an addition of a friendly triangle over the holograms created by allies as I tend to discern friend from foe in Halo via those triangles so I sometimes shoot my allies fake outs >.>
>
> I’m going to take a geuss and say you have an abnormally large amount of betrayals dont you…

Noooooo, noooooooo… Well, yes, but that’s unrelated to HUD information and more about doorframes stopping my grenades from reaching their intended destination…

> These are some amazing ideas OP, but damn. It’s only meant to be a hologram, not some shadow clone. I like the idea of it having a more realistic movement pattern, but showing up red on the radar and stuff is a little too far.

Maybe, but compared to say the ability to quickly gain map control with the Jetpack, a red dot on the motion tracker is hardly game breaking.

> > > One change I’d like is an addition of a friendly triangle over the holograms created by allies as I tend to discern friend from foe in Halo via those triangles so I sometimes shoot my allies fake outs >.>
> >
> > I’m going to take a geuss and say you have an abnormally large amount of betrayals dont you…
>
> Noooooo, noooooooo… Well, yes, but that’s unrelated to HUD information and more about doorframes stopping my grenades from reaching their intended destination…

Surely the solution is to make a thread asking for all doorframes to be removed from Halo 4?

A couple of things definately need change for the Hologram.

One part that could be an easy fix is when an enemy puts a reticle over it, it turns red to complete the illusion that it is an enemy to the enemy. I say this because I cannot tell you how easy it is to tell a hologram apart from the real thing just by putting your weapon reticle over it. If it did’nt change from blue to red, then its fake. Plus its pretty easy to notice the sound the AA makes.

Another aspect is they could add is to imitate the previous action of theowner. For example, if you wanted to put a scare on an enemy unit around the corner. You could move towards the area with your gun fire. While holding down the trigger, the hologram would continue in that direction while firing the rifle, creating fake bullets that would keep the guy pinned.

Fully agreed, hologram should be more explored.