Hold on Poa! You forgot your marines!

So, I have just barely started Anniversary, as my fiance and I are going to play through it together on co-op, but in the first cutscene, something REALLY irked me. We were watching as the pelicans flew through the hanger and warthogs drove by on miscellaneous errands, and the little uneasy feeling set in when I saw the ‘marine’ guiding in the pelican with the blue wands, but what caused it didn’t hit me until Johnson’s little speech.

As he said the words ‘Am I right Marines?!’ it hit me like a brick wall. There wasn’t a single Marine on the Pillar of Autumn. Not one. Every member of the UNSC on that ship was either straight up Navy, or were wearing the UNSC ARMY uniform. Even Johnson seemed to have taken the role or a trooper.

I understand that the character models needed to be updated and not look like they did in Halo 2 or 3, and take on a ‘Reachish’ look, but Halo: Reach showed us what Marines, in their updated form, looked like on two occasions. First Noble 6 is teamed up with a strike force of Marines from the UNSC Savannah when they capture a covenant cruiser to take out the Long Night of Solace, and then, on the level ‘The Pillar of Autumn’ we see, and are assisted by Marines from, that’s right, The UNSC Pillar of Autumn. If we only saw the crew of the Savannah, that they would be equipped differently as they were operating in space at the time, but we see Marines from the PoA, the ship in question, doing ground operations in the same uniform as the troops from the Savannah.

So I ask, why did the PoA leave all of her Marines back on Reach and take along a boat load of Troopers? The marines are supposed to be equipped for operations in space, with combat uniforms being designed for EVA activity, the troopers are not. Why 343, did you not place Marines in CEA? Why do we have the Army tagging along with the Chief?

Technically aren’t they ODSTs? (On the PoA, within the book, The Flood)

Haven’t read it in a while, so I might be wrong.

I was under the impression that only some of the marines on the POA were ODSTs, but the bulk were just Marines.

my point still holds though. The models should either be the marine uniform or ODST uniform, not the army one.

Hero for playing with the missus, I too completed the campaign with the girlfriend as well. She had never played the original so it was all new to her.

well, we are both pretty big Halo fans, but our time to play together is limited due to working off set shifts, have to have time for the other things in life first :stuck_out_tongue:

> The marines are supposed to be equipped for operations in space, with combat uniforms being designed for EVA activity

So, you’re saying that the Marines in every Halo game except Reach are Army Troopers?

> > The marines are supposed to be equipped for operations in space, with combat uniforms being designed for EVA activity
>
> So, you’re saying that the Marines in every Halo game except Reach are Army Troopers?

no, not really. but now that the Army has been introduced they should at least find a way to distiguish the marines from the army.

holding the the dark grey uniform at the very least would have been nice, and doing so in any future remakes.

The changed the model for the marine to the Reach Army model, however they were still marines.

The Reach Army models resembled the original HCE marines a lot more than the Marines from Reach, so I’m happy with it.

> The changed the model for the marine to the Reach Army model, however they were still marines.

I get that. The point I am making is that they already established the appearance of the marines in the Reach era graphics, and made sure we knew that the tan uniforms were the Army.

The point I am trying to make is that they should have used that established appearance in CEA as to stick with what they had already told us. ESPECIALLY as in Reach we saw a number of number of Marines who were from the PoA, the same Marines who we see in CEA.

> > The changed the model for the marine to the Reach Army model, however they were still marines.
>
> I get that. The point I am making is that they already established the appearance of the marines in the Reach era graphics, and made sure we knew that the tan uniforms were the Army.
>
> The point I am trying to make is that they should have used that established appearance in CEA as to stick with what they had already told us. ESPECIALLY as in Reach we saw a number of number of Marines who were from the PoA, the same Marines who we see in CEA.

To be honest the Halo Reach Marines didn’t feel like Marines to me, while the Army Troopers did. It wouldn’t have been right if all the Marines in CEA had the enclosed helmets the Reach Marines had. The only difference apart from the helmet is the colour of the armour.

> > > The changed the model for the marine to the Reach Army model, however they were still marines.
> >
> > I get that. The point I am making is that they already established the appearance of the marines in the Reach era graphics, and made sure we knew that the tan uniforms were the Army.
> >
> > The point I am trying to make is that they should have used that established appearance in CEA as to stick with what they had already told us. ESPECIALLY as in Reach we saw a number of number of Marines who were from the PoA, the same Marines who we see in CEA.
>
> To be honest the Halo Reach Marines didn’t feel like Marines to me, while the Army Troopers did. It wouldn’t have been right if all the Marines in CEA had the enclosed helmets the Reach Marines had. The only difference apart from the helmet is the colour of the armour.

even if the troopers feel more ‘marineish’ they made a change, and unless they planned on fully remodelling the marines, they should have stuck with what they had just created and introduced for coherency.

Maybe the uniform is that of the Reach army troopers, but the symbol on their shoulders is that of the marines, not the army. Also, The reach marine helmet had no resemblance the original ce helmet, while the reach army troopers helmet’s were very close to the original marine helmets.

Does it really matter? they are just character models…its not like your gonna sit in front of one all day.

Seriously hardcore Halo fans should just let it go.

it does matter though to us who are fans of the series. These details are what make the games feel coherent, and part of the same universe.

been with halo since halo 1 was released. sadly ive only been able to read 2 of the books. (first strike and ghosts of onyx)

Anyway, it doesn’t really bother me now im not saying i don’t care but it just seems like a small enough detail to not matter as much to me.

now something like the elite ranking mess ups they had with reach is something that got to me. I don’t expect the books and the games to be exactly the same (considering the entire noble team really wasn’t supposed to be doing what they were doing in halo reach)

i guess its a matter of opinion. i think both the books and games are great and as long as they follow closley with eachother some details can be over looked to me.

I think the Reach trooper uniform is the closest look to the Halo:CE marine uniform personally. If 343 would have used the Halo 3 model then the Marines in Anniversary would have looked really odd.

Go and look at a Marine in Anniversary mode and keep switching back and forth between classic and Anniversary, you’ll see what I mean.

> it does matter though to us who are fans of the series. These details are what make the games feel coherent, and part of the same universe.

I’m a huge fan of the series and I think the CEA Marines look great. I’d rather have them than the Reach Marines.

> even if the troopers feel more ‘marineish’ they made a change, and unless they planned on fully remodelling the marines, they should have stuck with what they had just created and introduced for coherency.

Bungie made the change, not 343. I’m glad they Marines look like they do. The Reach Marines don’t look as good as the Army Troopers (like I said, the only difference was the full helmet, thier colour and a few pieces of thier armour).

Also, I don’t think it was ever said that the uniform the Army use is strictly for the Army. Plus if they used the Reach Marine’s Helmets they couldn’t have had the cool Green Eye piece.

One more thing, the only reason the Reach Marines look like they did is because they wanted them to look a bit different from the Army Troopers.

> > it does matter though to us who are fans of the series. These details are what make the games feel coherent, and part of the same universe.
>
> I’m a huge fan of the series and I think the CEA Marines look great. I’d rather have them than the Reach Marines.
>
>
> > even if the troopers feel more ‘marineish’ they made a change, and unless they planned on fully remodelling the marines, they should have stuck with what they had just created and introduced for coherency.
>
> Bungie made the change, not 343. I’m glad they Marines look like they do. The Reach Marines don’t look as good as the Army Troopers (like I said, the only difference was the full helmet, thier colour and a few pieces of thier armour).
>
> Also, I don’t think it was ever said that the uniform the Army use is strictly for the Army. Plus if they used the Reach Marine’s Helmets they couldn’t have had the cool Green Eye piece.
>
> One more thing, the only reason the Reach Marines look like they did is because they wanted them to look a bit different from the Army Troopers.

see and I found the sealed uniforms to look both BETTER, and make more SENSE

these guys typically operate from a ship stationed in Space. The likelihood of needing to operate in a vacuum would be ever present.

I was very pleased with the change they made for Reach and wish they kept it as they had just established that was now their appearance.