Hitscan or Bullet Time?

Which one?

For me, hitscan. I guess the fact that I don’t have to guess where my shots are going to land draws me in more. I’d rather have my bullets land where I’m aiming them. And because lag has less effect on it.

If Halo sticks to the host system, then hitscan. If they decide on dedicated servers, then bullet travel.

Both. Hitscan when the reticle is red. Real time, when it’s not.

Peer to Peer >—> Hitscan.

Dedicated Server >—> Bullet Travel.

Hitscan because lag won’t affect you as much.

> Both. Hitscan when the reticle is red. Real time, when it’s not.

Ooh. I like this idea.

Reach’s hitscan did a wonderful job i think.

> > Both. Hitscan when the reticle is red. Real time, when it’s not.
>
> Ooh. I like this idea.

me to

A projectile model (bullet time) is better by far on LAN and dedicated servers. Sady lag on poor P2P connections means hit scan is really the only viable choice. It would be awesome though if hits can was online only and everything was projectiles.

Hitscan.More reliable online.

Hitscan.

> A projectile model (bullet time) is better by far on LAN and dedicated servers. Sady lag on poor P2P connections means hit scan is really the only viable choice. It would be awesome though if hits can was online only and everything was projectiles.

Since most other AAA-titles (gears, CoD, Bf3), smaller games (Homefront) and even Live arcade games (section 8 prejudice) got dedicated servers, it would be a disgrace if Halo 4 didn’t. Actually, I probably wouldn’t buy it at release since p2p = broken trueskill, hosts, lag. It’s not 1999 any more, Halo should not use the same Matchmaking as crappy movie license-games. It is a AAA-title and should play like one.

OnT:
Bullet time on a dedicated server, it makes for better gameplay and allows for a true skillgap, in a good way :slight_smile:

> If Halo sticks to the host system, then hitscan. If they decide on dedicated servers, then bullet travel.

So, you want a consistent system if we get p2p, but if we get dedicated servers, you want that whole experienced be ruined by bad shot registeration?

You see, having dedicated servers or p2p has very little difference when it comes to bullet travel time. Only difference is that the bullet travel is less inconsistent with dedicated servers, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be inconsistent. It can and will be inconsistent.

So, I’d say that until we get an internet that allows us to connect to anywhere around the world with zero latency, hitscan is the optimal choice for online gaming.

> Since most other AAA-titles (gears, CoD, Bf3), smaller games (Homefront) and even Live arcade games (section 8 prejudice) got dedicated servers, it would be a disgrace if Halo 4 didn’t. Actually, I probably wouldn’t buy it at release since p2p = broken trueskill, hosts, lag. It’s not 1999 any more, Halo should not use the same Matchmaking as crappy movie license-games. It is a AAA-title and should play like one.
>
> OnT:
> Bullet time on a dedicated server, it makes for better gameplay and allows for a true skillgap, in a good way :slight_smile:

Two misconceptions there: CoD doesn’t have dedicated servers and the networking model has nothing to do with higher level networking such as TrueSkill.

What divides all those games with dedicated servers from Halo is that their developers couldn’t build a consistent p2p architecture even if they tried. Bungie on the other hand built the best p2p networking model I have seen this far in my life. It’s not perfect, but definitely good enough that I wouldn’t mind if 343i didn’t get dedicated servers. After all, in Reach host advantage is nearly non-existent and I hardly ever get int matches with high enough latencies to cause problems in gameplay.

> Both. Hitscan when the reticle is red. Real time, when it’s not.

Wouldn’t that involve a real-time modifcation of the netcode or something? I don’t think that’s possible.

Hitscan is basically when you shoot a weapon, the bullets instantly connect with where you are aiming. Hitscan has been featured many times before in Halo, such as the Halo2 BR, Reach’s DMR, various Sniper Rifles, etc.

My question for you is:

Do you want any presicion weapons, or just weapons in general to be Hitscan?

I know i do. It provides a more accurate gameplay feel and i just flat out prefer it to non-hitscan like the Halo3 BR.

Anyways thats my opinion. What do you think about hitscan weaponary in Halo 4?

precision weapons should not have hit-scan so you have to lead your shots, while auto weapons should have hit-scan.

Hitscan in Reach made general hit detection better… at least for me anyway. I can’t tell you how many times in Halo 3 I shot someone but it didn’t count because of lag or some other factor.

Hitscan.

> Hitscan because lag won’t affect you as much.

yeah all im for hitscan.

Like most others have replied.
Hitscan if it’s peer host, bullet travel if their are dedicated host.
Personally I like hitscan better, but that’s because I’m not as good at Halo as I like to believe.