Hitmarkers and Hitmarker noise... why?

They are not seriously considering keeping hitmarkers in this game, are they? This is just another call of duty feature that was never in Halo (until halo 4) and has no place in Halo. If they are serious about going back to halo’s “roots” and being more competitive, why do they have this crutch-like feature to help noobs know if they are even hitting anything.

On top of this, there is this super high pitched noise every time you get a hit marker. WHY 343??? Is that really necessary? Geeze. That’s is going to be the most annoying sound constantly hearing that every 5 seconds in every game.

On top of this again, there is this red X that appears inside your reticle every single time you shoot or kill someone. Once again, why? It adds nothing to the game.

343, stop adding unnecessary things into this game. Look at the changes from halo 1 to 2 to 3. Nothing to major, just necessary and simple upgrades. Then the change from 3 to 4. Armor abilities, sprint, loadouts, hitmarkers, unbalanced weapons. And you still wonder why people thought halo 4 was -Yoink- compared to the other 3??? Once again, STOP MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES AND ADDING THINGS NOBODY ASKED FOR.

Nobody asked for sprint.
Nobody asked for hitmarkers or the hitmarker noise.
Nobody asked for the announcer to shout out an entire paragraph instead of just “Slayer”.
Nobody asked for “Power weapons in 10!”
Nobody asked for medals for literally doing anything. “Generic Kill Medal”. Are you serious?
Nobody asked for Aim Down Sight. WHY DOES THE DEFAULT CONTROL SCHEME HAVE LT AS AIM INSTEAD OF GRENADE. WHAT THE -YOINK!- ARE YOU DOING

I want halo 5 to be the best it can possibly be and as of right now, it’s going to get ugly fast unless you start doing what people actually want you to do.

I get why hit-markers are there even if I don’t like them (to appeal to a wider community) but the noise is just unnecessary.

P.S. In case you didn’t know ADS functions just like the scope in previous Halos.

Ya that noise will keep me from buying the game. A high pitched sound every time I shoot someone? That sounds like an intensive not to shoot anyone. I get enough high pitched sounds out of the majority of players, but at least I can silence them.

Hopefully they remove the sound in the beta.

> 2533274797052661;1:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ScgDzcKEU
>
> They are not seriously considering keeping hitmarkers in this game, are they? This is just another call of duty feature that was never in Halo (until halo 4) and has no place in Halo. If they are serious about going back to halo’s “roots” and being more competitive, why do they have this crutch-like feature to help noobs know if they are even hitting anything.
>
> On top of this, there is this super high pitched noise every time you get a hit marker. WHY 343??? Is that really necessary? Geeze. That’s is going to be the most annoying sound constantly hearing that every 5 seconds in every game.
>
> On top of this again, there is this red X that appears inside your reticle every single time you shoot or kill someone. Once again, why? It adds nothing to the game.
>
> 343, stop adding unnecessary things into this game. Look at the changes from halo 1 to 2 to 3. Nothing to major, just necessary and simple upgrades. Then the change from 3 to 4. Armor abilities, sprint, loadouts, hitmarkers, unbalanced weapons. And you still wonder why people thought halo 4 was -Yoink- compared to the other 3??? Once again, STOP MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES AND ADDING THINGS NOBODY ASKED FOR.
>
> Nobody asked for sprint.
> Nobody asked for hitmarkers or the hitmarker noise.
> Nobody asked for the announcer to shout out an entire paragraph instead of just “Slayer”.
> Nobody asked for “Power weapons in 10!”
> Nobody asked for medals for literally doing anything. “Generic Kill Medal”. Are you serious?
> Nobody asked for Aim Down Sight. WHY DOES THE DEFAULT CONTROL SCHEME HAVE LT AS AIM INSTEAD OF GRENADE. WHAT THE -YOINK!- ARE YOU DOING
>
> I want halo 5 to be the best it can possibly be and as of right now, it’s going to get ugly fast unless you start doing what people actually want you to do.

Pretty sure you cannot 100% claim that no one ever asked for any of those things.
I like sprint. Speeds up the game. Get over it.
Hitmarkers? Big deal
Oh no! Words I might have to listen too!
Power weapons in 10 is nice. Helps out new players
Who cares? They are freaking medals
ADS I think has been missing from Halo. I like the thought that they are adding it.

You do not speak on behalf of everyone.

Get over it. I agree about the hitmarker noise, but this whole rant made you sound like a whiny little -Yoink-. Just because nobody asked for it doesn’t mean that it can’t be in the game. It’s their damn game. They can listen to the community and add/take away/nerf features that the community doesn’t like, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t add new features.

> 2576836393959214;5:
> > 2533274797052661;1:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ScgDzcKEU
> >
> > They are not seriously considering keeping hitmarkers in this game, are they? This is just another call of duty feature that was never in Halo (until halo 4) and has no place in Halo. If they are serious about going back to halo’s “roots” and being more competitive, why do they have this crutch-like feature to help noobs know if they are even hitting anything.
> >
> > On top of this, there is this super high pitched noise every time you get a hit marker. WHY 343??? Is that really necessary? Geeze. That’s is going to be the most annoying sound constantly hearing that every 5 seconds in every game.
> >
> > On top of this again, there is this red X that appears inside your reticle every single time you shoot or kill someone. Once again, why? It adds nothing to the game.
> >
> > 343, stop adding unnecessary things into this game. Look at the changes from halo 1 to 2 to 3. Nothing to major, just necessary and simple upgrades. Then the change from 3 to 4. Armor abilities, sprint, loadouts, hitmarkers, unbalanced weapons. And you still wonder why people thought halo 4 was -Yoink- compared to the other 3??? Once again, STOP MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES AND ADDING THINGS NOBODY ASKED FOR.
> >
> > Nobody asked for sprint.
> > Nobody asked for hitmarkers or the hitmarker noise.
> > Nobody asked for the announcer to shout out an entire paragraph instead of just “Slayer”.
> > Nobody asked for “Power weapons in 10!”
> > Nobody asked for medals for literally doing anything. “Generic Kill Medal”. Are you serious?
> > Nobody asked for Aim Down Sight. WHY DOES THE DEFAULT CONTROL SCHEME HAVE LT AS AIM INSTEAD OF GRENADE. WHAT THE -YOINK!- ARE YOU DOING
> >
> > I want halo 5 to be the best it can possibly be and as of right now, it’s going to get ugly fast unless you start doing what people actually want you to do.
>
>
> Pretty sure you cannot 100% claim that no one ever asked for any of those things.
> I like sprint. Speeds up the game. Get over it.
> Hitmarkers? Big deal
> Oh no! Words I might have to listen too!
> Power weapons in 10 is nice. Helps out new players
> Who cares? They are freaking medals
> ADS I think has been missing from Halo. I like the thought that they are adding it.
>
> You do not speak on behalf of everyone.

Well in case you haven’t noticed, 343 has been pretty clear that they want to “return to competitive halo” with halo 5. Every one of your points supports non-competitive gameplay and new players; just the opposite of what 343 and the majority of actual halo fans want.

What’s the difference between having sprint + slow base speed vs. no sprint + higher base speed?
What’s the difference between actually knowing how and where to shoot vs. the game giving you confirmation of hitting the person? Or somehow knowing someone is around the corner because your grenade damaged him and you get a hitmarker for it? There is no uncertainty in knowing where someone went if you get hitmarkers for this.
What’s the difference between knowing when power weapons are coming up vs. the game telling you when they are coming up?
What’s the difference between getting no medals because you suck vs. getting 30 medals because you showed up?

True halo fans could answer every question here where as you can’t seem to see a a difference. That’s your problem. That’s what happens when you play call of duty or battlefield more than halo which I’m sure you do. If you like sprint so much, go play those games. If you like hitmarkers, go play those games. If you like ads so much, go play those games.

> 2533274797052661;7:
> > 2576836393959214;5:
> > True halo fans could answer every question here where as you can’t seem to see a a difference. That’s your problem. That’s what happens when you play call of duty or battlefield more than halo which I’m sure you do. If you like sprint so much, go play those games. If you like hitmarkers, go play those games. If you like ads so much, go play those games.

I’ll never understand why people support the slow morphing of every FPS being nothing but different flavours of each other.
What if I want something entirely different from the norm of FPS games these days? (ADS-style zoom, hitmarkers, sprint, etc.). Unless I miraculously become competent at PC FPS games and start getting into Toxikk, I’m not sure I’ll ever get that.

Hitmarkers are perfectly fine. What’s the real argument against them?

“Oh, They’re in CoD! So therefore they are bad!”

Whether you like CoD or not, It has done plenty of things correctly. The whole rant about Hitmarkers here is pathetic. It really is, “It wasn’t in the original Halo’s! Therefore it’s bad!”

That whole rant about hitmarkers gave me a good laugh!

As for the sound? Personally, I dislike it. Not that I don’t think it SHOULDN’T be there. I would be okay with it if they allowed you to turn it on and off. Same with the normal hitmarkers. Some players prefer visual indications that they hit their target, And others prefer a audio Que.

"343, Please stop adding unnecessary things into the game"
True, These things are not Necessary. But what do they really detract from the game? Really nothing in the big picture. Players complain about how their shots never landed due to ‘lag’, Having hitmarkers eliminates this issue, Because you will always know when your shots landed.

As far as I’m concerned, Your arguments here are weak. It’s basically saying; “Halo 2 never had Hitmarkers! Therefore, No Halo should!”

Bloody laughable.

> 2576836393959214;5:
> > 2533274797052661;1:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ScgDzcKEU
> >
> > They are not seriously considering keeping hitmarkers in this game, are they? This is just another call of duty feature that was never in Halo (until halo 4) and has no place in Halo. If they are serious about going back to halo’s “roots” and being more competitive, why do they have this crutch-like feature to help noobs know if they are even hitting anything.
> >
> > On top of this, there is this super high pitched noise every time you get a hit marker. WHY 343??? Is that really necessary? Geeze. That’s is going to be the most annoying sound constantly hearing that every 5 seconds in every game.
> >
> > On top of this again, there is this red X that appears inside your reticle every single time you shoot or kill someone. Once again, why? It adds nothing to the game.
> >
> > 343, stop adding unnecessary things into this game. Look at the changes from halo 1 to 2 to 3. Nothing to major, just necessary and simple upgrades. Then the change from 3 to 4. Armor abilities, sprint, loadouts, hitmarkers, unbalanced weapons. And you still wonder why people thought halo 4 was -Yoink- compared to the other 3??? Once again, STOP MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES AND ADDING THINGS NOBODY ASKED FOR.
> >
> > Nobody asked for sprint.
> > Nobody asked for hitmarkers or the hitmarker noise.
> > Nobody asked for the announcer to shout out an entire paragraph instead of just “Slayer”.
> > Nobody asked for “Power weapons in 10!”
> > Nobody asked for medals for literally doing anything. “Generic Kill Medal”. Are you serious?
> > Nobody asked for Aim Down Sight. WHY DOES THE DEFAULT CONTROL SCHEME HAVE LT AS AIM INSTEAD OF GRENADE. WHAT THE -YOINK!- ARE YOU DOING
> >
> > I want halo 5 to be the best it can possibly be and as of right now, it’s going to get ugly fast unless you start doing what people actually want you to do.
>
>
>
>
> Pretty sure you cannot 100% claim that no one ever asked for any of those things.
> I like sprint. Speeds up the game. Get over it.
> Hitmarkers? Big deal
> Oh no! Words I might have to listen too!
> Power weapons in 10 is nice. Helps out new players
> Who cares? They are freaking medals
> ADS I think has been missing from Halo. I like the thought that they are adding it.
>
> You do not speak on behalf of everyone.

There is no valid reason why Sprint speeds up gameplay.
If there is an option to disable Spartan Chatter, then I will be fine with it.
So you would rather have the game tell you when weapons will spawn rather than knowing when they will spawn?
Just because you might not care, does not mean that everyone else shares your opinions about useless pictures (that offers nothing to brag) filling up the screen. Get over yourself.
I do not care for ADS, but Halo never needed it because we already had another mechanic that worked well in every Halo to date.

He might not speak for literally everyone in the Halo community, but he does speak on behalf of a large percentage of people.

> 2533274836967617;9:
> Hitmarkers are perfectly fine. What’s the real argument against them?
>
> “Oh, They’re in CoD! So therefore they are bad!”
>
> Whether you like CoD or not, It has done plenty of things correctly. The whole rant about Hitmarkers here is pathetic. It really is, “It wasn’t in the original Halo’s! Therefore it’s bad!”
>
> That whole rant about hitmarkers gave me a good laugh!
>
> As for the sound? Personally, I dislike it. Not that I don’t think it SHOULDN’T be there. I would be okay with it if they allowed you to turn it on and off. Same with the normal hitmarkers. Some players prefer visual indications that they hit their target, And others prefer a audio Que.
>
> "343, Please stop adding unnecessary things into the game"
> True, These things are not Necessary. But what do they really detract from the game? Really nothing in the big picture. Players complain about how their shots never landed due to ‘lag’, Having hitmarkers eliminates this issue, Because you will always know when your shots landed.
>
> As far as I’m concerned, Your arguments here are weak. It’s basically saying; “Halo 2 never had Hitmarkers! Therefore, No Halo should!”
>
> Bloody laughable.

Although I do agree that raging about Hitmarkers as if they were the bane of Halo existence to be illogical, there is really no reason why they should be in Halo because we can already detect when their enemies’ shields will deplete. The sounds that Hitmarkers makes, however, should just be removed. It ruins the feel of the game when you have irritating beeps while you are shooting at your target. And I think it should be obvious to the player rather or not the grenade that they just threw at the enemy, hits them or not. Also, if Halo 5: Guardians is suppose to have dedicated servers, we should see almost/100% no lag in the servers,

> 2533274806427910;11:
> > 2533274836967617;9:
> > Hitmarkers are perfectly fine. What’s the real argument against them?
> >
> > “Oh, They’re in CoD! So therefore they are bad!”
> >
> > Whether you like CoD or not, It has done plenty of things correctly. The whole rant about Hitmarkers here is pathetic. It really is, “It wasn’t in the original Halo’s! Therefore it’s bad!”
> >
> > That whole rant about hitmarkers gave me a good laugh!
> >
> > As for the sound? Personally, I dislike it. Not that I don’t think it SHOULDN’T be there. I would be okay with it if they allowed you to turn it on and off. Same with the normal hitmarkers. Some players prefer visual indications that they hit their target, And others prefer a audio Que.
> >
> > "343, Please stop adding unnecessary things into the game"
> > True, These things are not Necessary. But what do they really detract from the game? Really nothing in the big picture. Players complain about how their shots never landed due to ‘lag’, Having hitmarkers eliminates this issue, Because you will always know when your shots landed.
> >
> > As far as I’m concerned, Your arguments here are weak. It’s basically saying; “Halo 2 never had Hitmarkers! Therefore, No Halo should!”
> >
> > Bloody laughable.
>
>
> Although I do agree that raging about Hitmarkers as if they were the bane of Halo existence to be illogical, there is really no reason why they should be in Halo because we can already detect when their enemies’ shields will deplete. The sounds that Hitmarkers makes, however, should just be removed. It ruins the feel of the game when you have irritating beeps while you are shooting at your target. And I think it should be obvious to the player rather or not the grenade that they just threw at the enemy, hits them or not. Also, if Halo 5: Guardians is suppose to have dedicated servers, we should see almost/100% no lag in the servers,

As I said, I dislike the hit sound, But if you could disable them, Then I’m cool with it.

But yet again, The reason as to why they shouldn’t be in the game is kinda weak. The Shield flaring until is pops is cool and all, But many players do like having a visual indication when they land their shots. In my opinion, The pros out weigh the cons when it come to Hitmarkers.

> 2533274836967617;12:
> > 2533274806427910;11:
> > > 2533274836967617;9:
> > > Hitmarkers are perfectly fine. What’s the real argument against them?
> > >
> > > “Oh, They’re in CoD! So therefore they are bad!”
> > >
> > > Whether you like CoD or not, It has done plenty of things correctly. The whole rant about Hitmarkers here is pathetic. It really is, “It wasn’t in the original Halo’s! Therefore it’s bad!”
> > >
> > > That whole rant about hitmarkers gave me a good laugh!
> > >
> > > As for the sound? Personally, I dislike it. Not that I don’t think it SHOULDN’T be there. I would be okay with it if they allowed you to turn it on and off. Same with the normal hitmarkers. Some players prefer visual indications that they hit their target, And others prefer a audio Que.
> > >
> > > "343, Please stop adding unnecessary things into the game"
> > > True, These things are not Necessary. But what do they really detract from the game? Really nothing in the big picture. Players complain about how their shots never landed due to ‘lag’, Having hitmarkers eliminates this issue, Because you will always know when your shots landed.
> > >
> > > As far as I’m concerned, Your arguments here are weak. It’s basically saying; “Halo 2 never had Hitmarkers! Therefore, No Halo should!”
> > >
> > > Bloody laughable.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Although I do agree that raging about Hitmarkers as if they were the bane of Halo existence to be illogical, there is really no reason why they should be in Halo because we can already detect when their enemies’ shields will deplete. The sounds that Hitmarkers makes, however, should just be removed. It ruins the feel of the game when you have irritating beeps while you are shooting at your target. And I think it should be obvious to the player rather or not the grenade that they just threw at the enemy, hits them or not. Also, if Halo 5: Guardians is suppose to have dedicated servers, we should see almost/100% no lag in the servers,
>
>
>
> As I said, I dislike the hit sound, But if you could disable them, Then I’m cool with it.
>
> But yet again, The reason as to why they shouldn’t be in the game is kinda weak. The Shield flaring until is pops is cool and all, But many players do like having a visual indication when they land their shots. In my opinion, The pros out weigh the cons when it come to Hitmarkers.

There are more reasons why they should not be in the game, but you are right that saying, “they do not belong in Halo” is a weak statement.

Why did they have to make the damn sound so High Pitched though?!

It’s a fine Idea but badly implemented

343, remove or change

Same with the Energy shields beeping, It’s annoying and hurts my ear

I don’t really care if hitmarkers are there or not. They do decrease the skill gap overall, but playing H2A has made me okay with it. I would prefer no sounds.

The only real issue is the utility of sprint. This has been the sole detriment of the game since Halo:Reach. It not only provides an ill-attained escape mechanism, but also provides a more difficult if not impossible escape on Arena style maps as another player can spawn, sprint to vantage point, and kill the player they’ve just lost to in the previous engagement. Furthermore, and the most important point, is the loss of strategic and predictable map movement in high level games. This is the most important part, pushing in unison, or rather responding to sporadic player movement behind concealed areas is not possible based on the lack of ability to surmise the rate at which a player may arrive at any point of vantage. In short, it ruins Halo map movement.

I can literally deal with nearly every other aspect, every other addition… just… not… sprint.

> 2533274805799247;15:
> I don’t really care if hitmarkers are there or not. They do decrease the skill gap overall, but playing H2A has made me okay with it. I would prefer no sounds.
>
> The only real issue is the utility of sprint. This has been the sole detriment of the game since Halo:Reach. It not only provides an ill-attained escape mechanism, but also provides a more difficult if not impossible escape on Arena style maps as another player can spawn, sprint to vantage point, and kill the player they’ve just lost to in the previous engagement. Furthermore, and the most important point, is the loss of strategic and predictable map movement in high level games. This is the most important part, pushing in unison, or rather responding to sporadic player movement behind concealed areas is not possible based on the lack of ability to surmise the rate at which a player may arrive at any point of vantage. In short, it ruins Halo map movement.
>
> I can literally deal with nearly every other aspect, every other addition… just… not… sprint.

Agreed, but I doubt 343i will remove it in Halo 5. No matter how many people are against. Hopefully, they will once the game after Halo 5 comes out.

I can deal with hit markers. In fact, I like them. But that noise… That … Noise… Ugh. I really hate it.

I can live with hitmarkers even though I don’t care for explosive hitmarkers, but those audio hitmarkers are already becoming irritating. They drown out otherwise solid sound design.

I feel like it is indicative of a wider problem with 343 in that they can’t seem to stop themselves from adding far too many ‘layers’ the game. 343: Here’s a new thing, Me: Cool. 343: Here’s another thing, Me : Okay. 343: Oh, and another thing, Me: Alright, things are starting to get crowded. 343: And here’s another thing, and this other thing, and this too…, Me: Just stop and slow things down please.

It gets to a point where its not even about whether I like a certain detail or not. It all starts to become noise that drowns out the more interesting details. Quality over quantity please. I feel like there is a noticeable number of people on these forums who don’t understand that cutting details, mechanics, etc is a perfectly legititmate form of change and an important part of the design process.

I hear a very minuscule beep but that only seems to happen when he gets a kill, or maybe it’s a medal.

Not really anything I can say I’m upset about, however. I have to focus to really even notice it.

I don’t like your attitude. You sound like a whiny little kid.

Also, you can’t decide what others want or don’t want in a game, as this’s purely your personal opinion.