Hiding ranks isn't enough

They should also hide your score in a game. You should only see the overall score and your own kill count.

I just hope they don’t show my kill count in game because if I get a little amount and everyone sees people will make fun of me and i’ll feel bad.

There’s absolutely no reason to show individual kill counts besides bragging and waving your e peen around.

Hide it 343. Don’t reward internet bullies.

Trying to control “bullying” in online gaming is just as pointless as trying to enforce sportsmanship. It’s a first person shooter, for crying out loud! The aim of the game is to brutally kill people…

A nice little parody of the people who use the argument about ranks being hidden in an effort to decrease the amount of baseless trash talk. But seriously, is the idea of being a decent human being on an online video game way too difficult with or without ranks?

> A nice little parody of the people who use the argument about ranks being hidden in an effort to decrease the amount of baseless trash talk. But seriously, is the idea of being a decent human being on an online video game way too difficult with or without ranks?

I think everyone can agree to decency.

I don’t think removing visible rank will make anybody in Halo more decent.

I want to see all weapons removed as well. The fact that one player can get a weapon from the armory that I can’t makes me feel like less of a person. That new gun is just bragging rights. I just want to bare knuckle box everyone to death.

Also, please remove all armor variations and the HUD, thanks.

lol, exactly. Videogames were about bragging rights ever since the invention of the high score leader-board.

> > A nice little parody of the people who use the argument about ranks being hidden in an effort to decrease the amount of baseless trash talk. But seriously, is the idea of being a decent human being on an online video game way too difficult with or without ranks?
>
> I think everyone can agree to decency.
>
> I don’t think removing visible rank will make anybody in Halo more decent.

Oh I doubt it will as well. That said, this revelation about the ranking system HAS brought out the worst in quite a few people. But I;m not surprised, this IS the Halo community after all.

And DesktopBarrel2, I could’ve swore the point of video games was about fun. Competitive play can definitely be a part of soemone’s fun, but it isn’t THE sole reason.

> > > A nice little parody of the people who use the argument about ranks being hidden in an effort to decrease the amount of baseless trash talk. But seriously, is the idea of being a decent human being on an online video game way too difficult with or without ranks?
> >
> > I think everyone can agree to decency.
> >
> > I don’t think removing visible rank will make anybody in Halo more decent.
>
> Oh I doubt it will as well. That said, this revelation about the ranking system HAS brought out the worst in quite a few people. But I;m not surprised, this IS the Halo community after all.
>
> And DesktopBarrel2, I could’ve swore the point of video games was about fun. Competitive play can definitely be a part of soemone’s fun, but it isn’t THE sole reason.

Some people didn’t put quarters in the machine because Pacman was THAT MUCH FUN. Some people wanted their name at the top of the leader board and for the other kids to see their name.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Halo is an amalgamation of communities. Machinima, forge, HLG, BUNGLE, Screenshots, party games, racers, etc.
Why do I feel the only group getting bent over is the competitive/traditionalist group?

Not one announcement yet has been precursed by, “And for you competitive players, we have introduced-”

> They should also hide your score in a game. You should only see the overall score and your own kill count.
>
> I just hope they don’t show my kill count in game because if I get a little amount and everyone sees people will make fun of me and i’ll feel bad.
>
> There’s absolutely no reason to show individual kill counts besides bragging and waving your e peen around.
>
> Hide it 343. Don’t reward internet bullies.

Your just sad because your a n00b and you don’t want people to see your score.
To fix this either get good at Halo or stop playing

Dude it’s kinda needed to show individual kill count. It’s just the way of the FPS. Practise. I reckon video games are more about play time than actual skill anyways.

> <mark>Some</mark> people didn’t put quarters in the machine because Pacman was THAT MUCH FUN. <mark>Some</mark> people wanted their name at the top of the leader board and for the other kids to see their name.
>
> <mark>Why is this so hard to understand?</mark>

You tell me with that conflicting logic of yours. I already said some people played games to be the better player as you showed. Never denied that. But I can attest to the fact others didn’t. I love Galaga, but do I really care if I get a high score and work my way up the high score list? Not really. Or how about the House of the Dead games? Me and my friends just loved to keep playing to see how far we would get, not some score. Hell, I love Marvel vs Capcom yet I suck royal -Yoink- at it, I just love playing it. Don’t know why though.

> Halo is an amalgamation of communities. Machinima, forge, HLG, BUNGLE, Screenshots, party games, racers, etc.
>
> <mark>Why do I feel the only group getting bent over is the competitive/traditionalist group?</mark>
>
> Not one announcement yet has been precursed by, “And for you competitive players, we have introduced-”

Persecution complex? We simply don’t know everything 343i has to offer. Could they have a playlist or two dedicated to competitive play? Maybe, maybe not.

> > > A nice little parody of the people who use the argument about ranks being hidden in an effort to decrease the amount of baseless trash talk. But seriously, is the idea of being a decent human being on an online video game way too difficult with or without ranks?
> >
> > I think everyone can agree to decency.
> >
> > I don’t think removing visible rank will make anybody in Halo more decent.
>
> Oh I doubt it will as well. That said, this revelation about the ranking system HAS brought out the worst in quite a few people. But I;m not surprised, this IS the Halo community after all.
>
> And DesktopBarrel2, I could’ve swore the point of video games was about fun. Competitive play can definitely be a part of soemone’s fun, but it isn’t THE sole reason.

Oh I really dont care that the ranks are hidden to other players, I just find the reasoning amusing. Part of the appeal of the ranked play-lists is the competition, the visible rank was a reflection of that. When you saw somebody with a 50 in MLG or a high rank you didn’t have, you wanted to achieve that rank so you could be on their level. It made the system more appealing and have higher populations, it fed the competitive drive of the players.

There is a MULTITUDE of systems that PROMOTE bragging rights in pvp FPS games like K/D ratio, armor unlocks, experience ranks, ect. All of these things are rewards and shown to other players to make people want to play more and achieve a high K/D or get Inheritor in HR, so how is a visible skill rank any different? Because you’re measuring skill rather than experience?

> Oh I really dont care that the ranks are hidden to other players, I just find the reasoning amusing. Part of the appeal of the ranked play-lists is the competition, the visible rank was a reflection of that. <mark>When you saw somebody with a 50 in MLG or a high rank you didn’t have, you wanted to achieve that rank so you could be on their level.</mark> It made the system more appealing and have higher populations, it fed the competitive drive of the players.

Me personally? Not really. Don’t get me wrong I would think “Oh man this guy’s good.”, but I was always more Big Team Battle and Objectives and less MLG and Team Slayer. But it’s a valid point.

> There is a MULTITUDE of systems that PROMOTE bragging rights in pvp FPS games like K/D ratio, armor unlocks, experience ranks, ect. All of these things are rewards and shown to other players to make people want to play more and achieve a high K/D or get Inheritor in HR, so how is a visible skill rank any different? Because you’re measuring skill rather than experience?

No doubt that’s true, but it’s just not how I roll. I love unlocking armor and getting a higher K/D, but that’s just for personal betterment. I have no need to rub it in anyone’s face.