By listening to the community. There have been hundreds of complaint threads so far, and all you’ve done is added SWAT and removed the banshee from CTF Ragnarok. I’ve taken some of my personal dislikes about the game, and added popular community complaints. I will edit in any more brought to my attention. My hope is to condense complaints so that you will pay attention 343.
Edit - I understand those of you who say it has been a week. You’re right. There are server/bug/armor issues that need immediate attention. This thread is about fundamental changes in the game’s ‘core’ that would make it more ‘halo’ like. Most of them are simple. This thread isn’t demanding just because it has a 20+ list, that’s actually rather small when considering patch notes in the gaming world. I never meant to flame 343i, they clearly have put alot of energy into this game, a game that has alot of potential in the long run. This thread is about bringing out that potential.
1. Regicide boosting. Party size is 6, gametype size is 6. 2 ppl with 2 guests each = 2 boosted accounts.
Solution - Patch limiting the party size to 3.
2. KOTH issues. The hill moves much too fast. Spawns are also a bit wacky, particularly on Haven.
Solution - 30 second hill minimum, 45 would be ideal.
3. No UNSC flying machine. No Falcon, Hornet, etc. in matchmaking. Exciting additions to Halo 3 and Reach, huge letdown in Halo 4.
Solution - DLC can and should fix this.
4.a. Joining partially-finished games in matchmaking. I don’t enjoy being paired up with 2 afk’s on a team losing 50-300 on infinity slayer.
Solution - Give us an option to disable this feature (Disable Hotseat), so that we only join “fresh” games.
4.b. Starting a game with imbalanced teams. Horrible concept. Ive started many ‘fresh’ games 3v5, and lost because the system failed to pair us up with 2 at any point during the match. Halo has always had that “lets do this team” feel from the moment you get paired up, but that has dissipated with this new matchmaking system.
Solution- Patch this out completely, no options about it. Noone deserves to start the game with an instant disadvantage. Patch the matchmaking system so that it refuses to start a game unless a full roster has accumulated.
5. Weapon drop. Requests could be a bit more predictable and less random. Sometimes i get the option of needler/speed boost/grenades-i-already-have-2-of, and other times i get sniper, damage boost, grenades-i-have-none-of. The latter makes it very hard to choose while the former feels useless.
Solution - Patterns or increments. First few weapon drops of the game are ‘mild’, needler/SAW/concussion/speed boost. 3rd and beyond weapon drops would increase in value, providing rockets/sniper/laser/damage boost.
6. Carbine. Nice rate of fire with no recoil or bloom, just takes a bit too long to kill with, especially a DMR user from am distance and a BR user from mid/close.
Solution - Reduce shots needed to pop shield by 1 or 2.
7. No ‘party’ theater. This also interferes with Spartan Ops episodes when friends are logged on.
Solution - Party theater.
8.a. Gametypes. THIS IS A BIG ONE! BTB objective, invasion, grifball, snipers, team slayer (not infinity and not pro), multi team, team doubles, 1 flag, assault, and custom playlists. I understand you’ve decided against invasion, but perhaps you could expand upon it, creating a new tier-style objective gametype.
Solution - Give us what we want.
8.b. Forge. Gametypes missing altogether. Zombies severely limited. You removed precision forging for some reason. No option for removing sprint. Blocks and walls have little indents and jaded edges. Should be obvious by now we just want a large blank map with very smooth and ‘standardized’ objects. The lack of energy put into this game’s forge threatens the ‘halo feel’, which is custom user content, creativity, and overall just having fun. For a more detailed analysis, read this.
Solution - Give forge a severe makeover, and accept advice from forge pros and custom game gurus.
9. Invis. Feels near useless when not crouching in a corner with a boltshot/shotgun/scatter shot.
Solution - Should negate Promethian vision (so prometh has a counter besides itself). Reticule should not turn red when hovered over an enemy invis player unless he/she has been damaged, revealing shield. Make radar jam ‘dots’ red instead of blue for enemies, or get rid of radar jam and instead, take invis player off enemy radar.
10. Banshee maneuvers need improvement. The side tricks are slow and leave the pilot vulnerable. The backflip is nonsense. The flip itself is decent, but upon completing the flip, banshee positions itself at random, sometimes facing behind your original direction, down/left, down/right, etc. Its a threat to perform rather than being a valued escape mechanism. This is particularly bothersome considering how feeble the banshee is compared to previous halos.
Solution - Speed up movement of all tricks. Have banshee face the direction it was facing before the flip after completing the flip (like it used to).
11. Regen is near useless. Its basically a 2nd version of Shielding, the Tactical Package upgrade. It doesn’t aid in a 1v1 DMR fight, and it blurs vision/hearing, if anything resulting in a disadvantage.
Solution - Remove the vision/hearing blur when inside ally regen, and speed up shield recharge rate. Even a 5% increase would suffice, so long as you remove the hearing/vision disables.
12. Auto Sentrys weak. Easily spotted by opponents from a distance (due to hover) and provides minimal aid.
Solution - Lower the positioning of the sentry, and slightly buff the fire rate.
13. “On my X”. This was one of the hallmark quotes of halo’s matchmaking system. It was a strategic way of recollecting fallen power weapons, having a scout reveal the enemy’s camp spot, and overall just good for callouts. Also much harder to tell if an ally is shooting/getting shot. Why change what wasn’t broken and was totally useful and awesome?
Solution - Give it back.
14. Instant-grab Objectives. Another classic halo feature that is now extinct; deciding when to grab objectives. Should i try to 2v1 these guys real quick before grabbing the flag, or will it return, meaning i should just run in and grab it even if i die? Well, doesn’t matter any more, because now you’re forced to grab it if you’re within radius.
Solution - Give it back, and ffs let us drop the flag.
15. Difficult/Ugly Menu Navigating. Its difficult navigating through recent films, screenshots, war games menu, even the loadouts/armor menus. Every previous halo had an easy-to-use and easy-on-the-eyes navigation setup. This ones just plain ugly.
Solution - Revert it back to the previous halo’s feel.