Help with Tactics please...

Hello, guys. If you have read any of the debates about sprinting, custom loadouts and armor abilities then you guys have probably seen my name floating around.

When I am engaged in battle with someone often times I find myself traveling backwards while I shoot at them and they are moving forwards. Sometimes I win the battle but other times (like 2/5) times I lose.

Is it because traveling backwards is a flawed tactic? Or am I just that horrible of a shooter. Should I always move forward into the guy? Or is there a time to travel backwards and a time to travel forward?

Thanks in advance…

I would suggest strafing but I assume we are talking about Halo 4 so just make sure you get the first shot on them then don’t miss.

It really depends on your skill level. I find that when I encounter someone one on one, my first observation is the map around me, walls, corners, ledges etc. Backing up can be an advantage if you are familiar with the map behind you and can maneuver while still firing at your enemy. My bread and butter is strafing from left to right or giving one jump back while in a CQB fight. My loadout consists of a DMR or BR and my control scheme tailors towards my jumping during combat because I use bumper jumper. Countering and aggressive opponent that comes forward involves grenades. A well placed grenade does one (or two) of three things.

1. Forces them to back up and take damage (or no damage) giving you time.
  2. Forces them to come forward even more aggressively to avoid damage or take damage.

(I Find 2. is my most effective tool, throwing a well placed grenade in your opponents path, predicting when it will explode and where he will be when it does can force them to come forward and take damage, giving you an advantage.

1. Finally, it can force your enemy to abandon all tactics and avoid a death by having to move out of the blast radius and disengage from combat with you.

One important thing to also remember is always think ahead of your enemy. Try to predict how aggressive a player will be and set traps for him if he wants to follow you around a corner or through a doorway, proper weapons and grenades can throw off any tactic someone has. Hit me up for any more questions or maybe some more depth on what you need help with man!

> I would suggest strafing but I assume we are talking about Halo 4 so just make sure you get the first shot on them then don’t miss.

No I am talking about Halo 3, Reach and 4. I do that in all of them, its like an instinct.

And there have been plenty of times where I shot first in halo 4 and didn’t miss and still lost the battle. So no that doesn’t help either.

I’m talking about defensive and offensive shooting.

> No I am talking about Halo 3, Reach and 4. I do that in all of them, its like an instinct.

Try posting in the relevant sub forum for best results.

> And there have been plenty of times where I shot first in halo 4 and didn’t miss and still lost the battle. So no that doesn’t help either.

OK.

Maybe it’s just me, I can’t help but feel you have some sort of agenda with this thread. It is strange you’re posting it here.

Just come out and say what it is you want to say.

> Maybe it’s just me, I can’t help but feel you have some sort of agenda with this thread.

I think it’s just you.

OT: Strafing is the key, try throwing a few crouches in there, maybe jumps if your using the Bumper Jumper control scheme.

Hope this helps.

> Maybe it’s just me, I can’t help but feel you have some sort of agenda with this thread. It is strange you’re posting it here.
>
> Just come out and say what it is you want to say.

I have no agenda. I’m looking for honest answers.

I’m truly sorry you feel this way.

What gametypes do you play and what weapons do use?

> > No I am talking about Halo 3, Reach and 4. I do that in all of them, its like an instinct.
>
> Try posting in the relevant sub forum for best results.

Yeah, sorry about that. I have been in the Halo 5 forum for so long that I forgot that this really didn’t belong here.

> What gametypes do you play and what weapons do use?

Well in 3, I use whatever weapon they give me. In REACH its usually the AR and DMR. In 4 I almost exclusively use the AR and BR.

In Halo 3, I usually hang around social team slayer. In Reach I frequent Big Team, and Team Slayer and Multi-team. In Halo 4 I frequent Big Team and Capture the flag, Swat and Team slayer.

> It really depends on your skill level. I find that when I encounter someone one on one, my first observation is the map around me, walls, corners, ledges etc. Backing up can be an advantage if you are familiar with the map behind you and can maneuver while still firing at your enemy. My bread and butter is strafing from left to right or giving one jump back while in a CQB fight. My loadout consists of a DMR or BR and my control scheme tailors towards my jumping during combat because I use bumper jumper. Countering and aggressive opponent that comes forward involves grenades. A well placed grenade does one (or two) of three things.
>
> 1. Forces them to back up and take damage (or no damage) giving you time.
> 2. Forces them to come forward even more aggressively to avoid damage or take damage.
>
> (I Find 2. is my most effective tool, throwing a well placed grenade in your opponents path, predicting when it will explode and where he will be when it does can force them to come forward and take damage, giving you an advantage.
>
> 3. Finally, it can force your enemy to abandon all tactics and avoid a death by having to move out of the blast radius and disengage from combat with you.
>
> One important thing to also remember is always think ahead of your enemy. Try to predict how aggressive a player will be and set traps for him if he wants to follow you around a corner or through a doorway, proper weapons and grenades can throw off any tactic someone has. Hit me up for any more questions or maybe some more depth on what you need help with man!

Thanks a lot man! Do you mind if I add you as buddy so I can get in better touch with you?

It seems I do have to practice on grenade throwing. I am not a terrible grenade thrower but I have had my fair share of embarrassing moments.

Try playing one game at a time, practice in custom games if you have anyone to play with, in close quarters grenades are your best friend and if you cant do close try some sniping.

> Try playing one game at a time, practice in custom games if you have anyone to play with, in close quarters grenades are your best friend and if you cant do close try some sniping.

Yeah, I use to be terrible at sniping. Now I am slightly less terrible. lol

I do have some friends to play with that are better than I. But both of them are Xbox One players leaving me all alone with my lil brother. And he’s not as good as I.

I’ve tried to get people to practice with me but they never really come though.

Or you could try just getting really good at campaign that kind got me a little better. I would also suggest pumping some iron that gets you better at everything.

Yea go ahead. My XBL gamertag is the same as my name and you can add me if ya want, I still play H4 every now and then.

> Yea go ahead. My XBL gamertag is the same as my name and you can add me if ya want, I still play H4 every now and then.

Alright cool, man.

Though it doesn’t really have to be Halo 4. I play 3 and Reach as well.

i always go backwards when my opponent has an automatic weapon

When you engage a player, your objective should be to make them miss shots. If you’re moving directly towards or away from them, they don’t have to adjust their aiming at all in order to continue hitting you. Instead, your should strafe left and right and try to place obstacles between you and him in between your shots.

Well, simply the reasons for your losses are
A) You are using an automatic against a precision weapon where your opponent doesn’t miss.
B) Your opponent is strafing.
C) You missed one shot at the very least.

Like others have said, focus on well placed grenades, don’t rush into battles blindly, don’t sprint into a battle or out mid-way, practice strafing, and practice aiming.

If you move only directly away from the enemy, they can hit you with all their shots with ease.