Help understanding the DMR

I’m pacing my shots and others are spamming and when we both get to the final headshot, they get the kill and I don’t. I’m not understanding how all this is working and I must be doing something wrong whether it be my aim or something but I feel like I’m hitting them right on. Maybe someone can DMR battle with me to help me out…? I don’t know.

It’s simply how unfair bloom can get. People who spam and win are simply lucky; it’s not your fault that a faulty game mechanic beat you.

Solution: Remove all DMR starts and replace them with Needle Rifle starts

(With obvious exceptions of Invasion and SWAT)

There you go. Problem solved. Now people have to pace more.

> It’s simply how unfair bloom can get. People who spam and win are simply lucky; it’s not your fault that a faulty game mechanic beat you.

I understand the bloom mechanics are pretty whacky but there has to be something to gain some more consistency despite it. I feel like it’s a cop-out to simply blame it purely on the bloom.

> > It’s simply how unfair bloom can get. People who spam and win are simply lucky; it’s not your fault that a faulty game mechanic beat you.
>
> I understand the bloom mechanics are pretty whacky but there has to be something to gain some more consistency despite it. I feel like it’s a cop-out to simply blame it purely on the bloom.

Nope, there isn’t much to it other than luck. The The shots will go anywhere under the bloom reticle, and too often are players with a good cadence “outplayed” by spammers that abused the system and got a good result out of it.

I have this thing where I will 4 shot people to no shields and then I’ll even wait a slight period of time for the bloom to decrease and it still ends up taking me 3-4 MORE shots just for them to finally die, regardless of how many times I hit them. It even annoys me more when the last shot just WILL NOT hit, and they end up out-killing me…Bloom definitely needs reduced so there isn’t such a luck factor involved.

Bloom is not only an indication how how much spread a weapon currently has, it’s also representative of the amount of bullet-magnetism awarded to the weapon when in red-reticle.

With a human weapon in red-reticle and with a marginally expanded bloom, the shots will not miss the target. Whether it’s the edge of the reticle or centre, the bullet will not miss.

If the reticle is fully rested and blue-reticle, the shots will fire in a random spot within the reticle/crosshairs. The fully rested AR IS more precise than the fully rested Pistol when blue-reticle. The fully rested DMR IS more precise the fully rested Pistol in any scope, and only more precise than the fully rested AR when scoped (DMR). When blue and unscoped, the DMR shot and AR shot both have about the same area of spread in their reticles.

If the weapon is fired when blue-reticle and slightly bloomed, it will have a spread associated with it.

If the weapon is fired when red-reticle but slightly bloomed, the shots are likely to hit even at maximum red-range, but not guaranteed.

If the weapon is fired when blue-reticle and fully bloomed, it will have a large spread associated with it.

If the weapon is fired when red-reticle and fully bloomed, it will fire with little to no bullet-magnetism and be at the mercy of the weapon’s spread. Targets at maximum red-range are very hard to consistently hit.
A blue-reticle fires its bullets inside the blooming reticle.
A red-reticle fires its bullets with bullet magnetism. A fully rested red-reticle will hit even if the edge of the static-reticle is touching the enemy. A full bloomed red-reticle might miss if any part of the blooming-reticle isn’t touching the enemy.

Unlike Halo2 or 3, zooming in does effect your precision. A spammed scoped DMR is more precise than an unscoped one.
Just hitting your target and unscoping them can mean all the difference in some battles as shooting no-scope IS less precise than firing scoped.

I always use my DMR for sniping at medium to long distances when the enemy hasn’t detected me yet, but i always bring out my AR while in close quarters.

> Bloom is not only an indication how how much spread a weapon currently has, it’s also representative of the amount of bullet-magnetism awarded to the weapon when in red-reticle.
>
> With a human weapon in red-reticle and with a marginally expanded bloom, the shots will not miss the target. Whether it’s the edge of the reticle or centre, the bullet will not miss.
>
> If the weapon is fired when blue-reticle and slightly bloomed, it will have a spread associated with it.
>
> If the weapon is fired when red-reticle but slightly bloomed, the shots are likely to hit even at maximum red-range, but not guaranteed.
>
> If the weapon is fired when blue-reticle and fully bloomed, it will have a large spread associated with it.
>
> If the weapon is fired when red-reticle and fully bloomed, it will fire with little to no bullet-magnetism and be at the mercy of the weapon’s spread. Targets at maximum red-range are very hard to consistently hit.
>
> Unlike Halo2 or 3, zooming in does effect your precision. A spammed scoped DMR is more precise than an unscoped one. Just hitting your target and unscoping them can mean all the difference in some battles as shooting no-scope IS less precise than firing scoped.

So when scoped how does the bloom and reticule affect bullet magnetism? Since an unscoped, marginally expanded bloomed, red-reticle bullet will not miss it’s not target, where does scoping give more accuracy? Does that mean it will hit its exact intended shot?

> > Bloom is not only an indication how how much spread a weapon currently has, it’s also representative of the amount of bullet-magnetism awarded to the weapon when in red-reticle.
> >
> > With a human weapon in red-reticle and with a marginally expanded bloom, the shots will not miss the target. Whether it’s the edge of the reticle or centre, the bullet will not miss.
> >
> > If the weapon is fired when blue-reticle and slightly bloomed, it will have a spread associated with it.
> >
> > If the weapon is fired when red-reticle but slightly bloomed, the shots are likely to hit even at maximum red-range, but not guaranteed.
> >
> > If the weapon is fired when blue-reticle and fully bloomed, it will have a large spread associated with it.
> >
> > If the weapon is fired when red-reticle and fully bloomed, it will fire with little to no bullet-magnetism and be at the mercy of the weapon’s spread. Targets at maximum red-range are very hard to consistently hit.
> >
> > Unlike Halo2 or 3, zooming in does effect your precision. A spammed scoped DMR is more precise than an unscoped one. Just hitting your target and unscoping them can mean all the difference in some battles as shooting no-scope IS less precise than firing scoped.
>
> So when scoped how does the bloom and reticule affect bullet magnetism? Since an unscoped, marginally expanded bloomed, red-reticle bullet will not miss it’s not target, where does scoping give more accuracy? Does that mean it will hit its exact intended shot?

As I understand it, without official conformation:
When blue-reticle and rested, the DMR fires its shots inside the small reticle only. Never will it fire outside of the blooming reticle when it is blue (unless you read my last statement… it could maybe sorta).
When you scope in with the DMR, you gain extra red-range. But more than that, when blue-reticle, rested and scoping in, your shot is fired in a reticle 3 times smaller than the unscoped one.
A fully bloomed 5th shot fired scoped in can mean all the difference in a CQB battle where the first 4 shots were spammed. A fully bloomed scoped reticle is roughly the same size as the unscoped reticle but without much bullet-magnetism. Scoping in in CQB range will make the head fill the reticle and you won’t miss, regardless.
So yes, 2 players, 1 scoped, the other not, the “spammed” 3rd shot will be more precise for the scoped player than the unscoped one.
A crouched and scoped DMR spammer will fire more precisely than a standing unscoped DMR spammer.
If two “equally and at least moderately skilled” DMR players engage in battle, 1 scoped, 1 not, then the unscoped better not miss their first shot. If they do, they are at a huge disadvantage and better hit their second shot to maintain a chance in the battle or possibly use their AA as a defense. Because now, the scoped player can spam all they want because they are zoomed in and firing through a hole 3 times smaller than the unscoped player.
It’s that or the unscoped pulls a maneuver that causes the enemy to miss so that they are on even terms.
Scoping in for the DMR headshot makes it 3 times more likely to occur.

But I do admit, the assist on the DMR and NR could last just a smidgen outside of red-range. But there is definitely a range in blue-reticle where there is no assist and the DMR bullets land randomly within the small reticle. Fully paced 5-shotting isn’t impossible, it’s improbable when firing at its widest side to side on Hemorrhage.
2 enemies shooting each other in no-miss range with the DMR at full spam will cause both to die at the same time. Increasing the distance eventually leads to a chance someone will miss when someone hits (when full spamming). The random end result to an encounter occurs not because of how a player attacked the enemy with the DMR, but how the dying player defended against it.

So it seems it’s not as terribly random as it sounds. If this is the case, what’s all the fuss about bloom?

It has to with adding or rewriting neural pathways that lead to the same end results as before, but as stated, through a different path. Some players love creating new pathways, others love to reinforce current ones.

> It has to with adding or rewriting neural pathways that lead to the same end results as before, but as stated, through a different path. Some players love creating new pathways, others love to reinforce current ones.

What do you mean?

First, thanks for the thread and wuestion, Ive had the same issue.

Second, I hope Im not hijacking (if I am my apologies) the thread, but can someone deifine “pacing a DMR?” Being a single shot weapon, I honestly not sure if pacing or spamming.

> First, thanks for the thread and wuestion, Ive had the same issue.
>
> Second, I hope Im not hijacking (if I am my apologies) the thread, but can someone deifine “pacing a DMR?” Being a single shot weapon, I honestly not sure if pacing or spamming.

Pacing your shots is just when you wait for the bloom animation to reset after each shot, ensuing that your shot will be 100% accurate. In Reach though, spamming will beat pacing most of the time. Hence why people are outraged over the bloom in Reach.

Spamming is firing the weapon as fast as it can.
Pacing is firing the shot at the optimal moment it fully rests.
But that’s only the 2 extremes. There are many ways players will describe the in between zone of spamming and pacing. I’ll use spamming or pacing in degrees to describe the mindset of the player’s actions, not their physical end result.

A great way is to fire in 2 shot bursts then fully rest the reticle. With the DMR or NR, the second shot is barley affected if at all by the bloom. It is the third quickly fired shot that starts to become imprecise.

You have to gain your own experience to feel when you can three-shot or more because it does vary from game to game with connections being what they are. As well as across the ranges. A game is about the %'s and the DMR’s %'s varies greatly depending on range, connection and individual skill-use. There’s knowing how crouching and scoping combined with gunplay can greatly increase the DMR’s precision (crouching, then scoping and firing as soon as you scope is a button combo).

It feels horrible because spamming will get sheilds down fine either way.
I basically worked out the best thing to do is spam at their torso, but aim at a point where the outer line of the reticle circle AT ITS MAXIMUM SIZE intersects the head, this combined with rather forgiving hitbox on the head means you will get the shields down then promptly drill one into his face most of the time.
Its basically how i worked out why i was losing to spamming kids all the time, i aim for the head as an automatic thing whereas everyone else were just aiming roughly at me and getting the kill, because it turns out to be more efficient close range. So now i run around saying “center mass, center mass” to remind myself.

> I’m pacing my shots and others are spamming and when we both get to the final headshot, they get the kill and I don’t. I’m not understanding how all this is working and I must be doing something wrong whether it be my aim or something but I feel like I’m hitting them right on. Maybe someone can DMR battle with me to help me out…? I don’t know.

things to keep in mind:

1.) first and foremost you must remember that the outcome of DMR vs DMR battles are completely random if someone is spamming.

2.) spamming is OPTIMAL at close range, for the first 4 hits. close range DMR vs DMR battles, played optimally, are basically as close to ‘coin flip’ battles as you could possibly get. doesnt matter which player has better aim in the least. if you go for the headshot, you have a SLIGHT advantage (im talking 60%), but a lot of the time the person spamming will just continue spamming and either land 3 more bullets, or get a random headshot before you get your un-bloomed headshot.

Ever since this topic, I’ve been winning more DMR battles as I’m trying to increase my maneuvers to mess up their potential to have a red reticule. The ones I have lost, so far, have been from honest bad aim. Thanks guys!

Ok, I guess I have been spamming the DMR, but not intentionally. Still, Ive been trying to practice with it and perhaps my skill lies in the gray area between spamming and pacing.

> > First, thanks for the thread and wuestion, Ive had the same issue.
> >
> > Second, I hope Im not hijacking (if I am my apologies) the thread, but can someone deifine “pacing a DMR?” Being a single shot weapon, I honestly not sure if pacing or spamming.
>
> Pacing your shots is just when you wait for the bloom animation to reset after each shot, ensuing that your shot will be 100% accurate. In Reach though, spamming will beat pacing most of the time. Hence why people are outraged over the bloom in Reach.