Help Saving Prefabs....

So, I’ve spent probably 20 total hours now of testing and building a set of objects that I’m about to release to the community. The problem is, these objects are intractable and built from the ground up. I have 3 objects. One is a switch. Another is a small structure of multiple pieces built that is affected by said switch, and the 3rd is a group of items. Problem is, you apparently have to group and/or weld these together in order to save as a prefab.

If someone downloads it this way and goes to ungroup them as to move them around, it breaks every piece apart into its own individual piece again, ruining the whole point of the objects. I honestly cant see someone downloading this and then re-grouping EVERYTHING in order to make this work. It’d be heavily annoying as it’s about 100 pieces total. Why cant you just WELD the groups together and then UNWELDING them when you download a prefab just splits them into their groups again? The “UNWELD” function simply does nothing but makes it not a weld, as they’re all still grouped as 1 object. “UNWELD and UNGROUP” simply does both of these. These 2 options are seriously pointless to have. You should only have Unweld and keep the groups in their respective fashion when doing so. Very annoyed I feel like I wasted so much time on this.

Unfortunately there’s nothing that can be done. At best to try to get people to download your prefab, you could have the screenshot as a set of instructions as to what to regroup where.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what your prefabs are?

> 2533274884447055;2:
> Unfortunately there’s nothing that can be done. At best to try to get people to download your prefab, you could have the screenshot as a set of instructions as to what to regroup where.
>
> Out of curiosity, may I ask what your prefabs are?

I was doing a Generator Defense gametype from Reach. The generator is actually 4 Wraiths intwined in a certain way, with an effect coming out of the top for the waypoint. So each generator is 5 pieces. Each wraith has a health waypoint that changes based on the percentage of health left. Once all 4 are destroyed from a particular group, the Attackers get a point. It is housed inside an “open” enclosure, that when activating the switch, “closes” the doors to the enclosure, effectively making it unable to be damaged for a short time. The doors are actually “underneath” the floor and simply move up and down after the switch activates and a certain wait period to deactivate. These enclosures are 14 pieces. The switch is all on its own as a standard terminal. Then 3 Brain scripts to accompany other scripts. It’s complete with visual waypoints and sounds, but this means either making someone rebuild all the pieces, or simply upload each of the 18 pieces individually. (5 generators, 5 enclosures, and 5 switches, 3 brains)

If I’m completely honest, if I were going to use your prefabs (which I might for an upcoming BTB map I’m making if you don’t mind), then I wouldn’t mind the effort of getting the prefabs individually, as long as they are all appropriately named and labelled and user friendly. So I don’t think have multiple prefabs will affect the number of downloads you get. Just make sure the community knows what you’ve done. Maybe submit it to Ske7ch or someone for the forge highlights or whatever it’s called.

> 2533274884447055;4:
> If I’m completely honest, if I were going to use your prefabs (which I might for an upcoming BTB map I’m making if you don’t mind), then I wouldn’t mind the effort of getting the prefabs individually, as long as they are all appropriately named and labelled and user friendly. So I don’t think have multiple prefabs will affect the number of downloads you get. Just make sure the community knows what you’ve done. Maybe submit it to Ske7ch or someone for the forge highlights or whatever it’s called.

Yeah. Each group of generator, enclosure, and switch is tied to 1 of 5 minigame objects, so you can disable any numbered group of them from being in a game. I’ve altered the scoring element to mimic that of Warzone Assault, where the attacking team wins the round if a certain number of generators are destroyed. If they aren’t destroyed by the end of the round, the attackers win the round. First to win 2 rounds wins the game.

Haven’t done a playtest yet to ensure everything works as I have only been able to test solo and not in a match environment. The only thing anyone should need to adjust in the brains is the generators needed to score a point and end the round. You can even adjust the timers for the secured enclosures. Right now when activated the enclosures guard the generators for 30 seconds but the switch has a 1 minute cool down before it can be activated again. These timers can be adjusted.

I’ve also tried making the waypoints less-clustered by giving them a health/distance system where severely damaged parts show up from a further distance than ones with higher health, which proportionately show up the closer you get to them.

Right now, it’s pretty much in the testing phase. I opted for the 4-Wraith method for generators because nothing else really worked well or had nearly enough “health” to substantiate an 8v8 environment. A team of 8 with say 1 snipe and laser could decimate a generator in 15-20 seconds if not secured or the defending team killing off attackers. I think the current health amount is close to what I believe works well. If this goes well, I may make a 4v4 version with altered timers and up to 3 generators.

Those are the only things that a user would need to change. Destroyed pieces simply activate a power channel and a brain script checks 4 power channels if they’re active to determine a global channel increment. Right now, the scripts use a massive amount of power channels, Alpha through Tango to be exact. And the messages system is used from alpha through Juliet. For each less generator placed on the map, you can save 4 power channels and 2 message channels.

Let me know if you’d like to test the current state of it or not and I’ll get it to you after work today, around 4pm cst

Yeah, I’ll definitely give it a go with you! If you invite me later today if I am on, I’ll join you, though that will be quite late in my time zone. We could try a small open lobby in custom games to try it. Do you have a map built ready to put your prefabs on? I would offer my BTB map, but it’ll already be using all but two channels. I just wish the forge variables were stored in custom names instead of A to Z.

Note to monitor team, it would probably be best if you move this to the community forums now…

> 2533274884447055;6:
> Yeah, I’ll definitely give it a go with you! If you invite me later today if I am on, I’ll join you, though that will be quite late in my time zone. We could try a small open lobby in custom games to try it. Do you have a map built ready to put your prefabs on? I would offer my BTB map, but it’ll already be using all but two channels. I just wish the forge variables were stored in custom names instead of A to Z.
>
> Note to monitor team, it would probably be best if you move this to the community forums now…

I have yet to put it on anything. Due to the 1-sided nature of the gametype, I’ll try fitting these on any of the bigger asymmetrical BTB maps or the biggest sized ones. I’ll think which ones would work best, but I may be looking at either Scavenger or Boulevard for asymmetrical maps and possibly Viking for a bigger map with appropriate sightlines. Just remember, this is a test and some things may not work 100% as intended. It’ll take me maybe 10 minutes to set it up on one of these maps though.

If it works as intended when we test, I’ll see about changing the detection around to use global variables being changed instead of using power states so it’ll be vastly more compatible with usermaps. That won’t be a hard adjustment to make at all.

Also as a side note: I’ve been plotting down different ways to get VIP, Juggernaut, and/or Regicide into the game. Regicide would be easiest to implement, with Juggernaut being the hardest.